PDA

View Full Version : Taxes

Perianne
04-14-2015, 01:59 PM
Tomorrow is USA tax day.

For what should the government be able to tax us?

Kathianne
04-14-2015, 02:15 PM
Tomorrow is USA tax day.

Right now, everything that exists and even some that don't.

The real question is, how much do you WANT available by the government?

Me? I'm sure I'll miss some things but:

Strong military
Strong foreign affairs bureaucracy so hopefully don't need to use the military
Departments of Treasury, War, Justice, State, Veterans Affairs, Commerce, Agriculture, Health (But not necessarily Human Services).
We need federal control over air, seas, borders.

I'd like to see the shift from states being the primary source of response to the people, not the fed. To that end, would like all incentives to states abolished for participating in federal programs that the feds should not be involved in.

Perianne
04-14-2015, 02:19 PM
Right now, everything that exists and even some that don't.

The real question is, how much do you WANT available by the government?

Me? I'm sure I'll miss some things but:

Strong military
Strong foreign affairs bureaucracy so hopefully don't need to use the military
Departments of Treasury, War, Justice, State, Veterans Affairs, Commerce, Agriculture, Health (But not necessarily Human Services).
We need federal control over air, seas, borders.

I'd like to see the shift from states being the primary source of response to the people, not the fed. To that end, would like all incentives to states abolished for participating in federal programs that the feds should not be involved in.

I kinda think of government providing that which we cannot provide for ourselves. I agree with the above.

Kathianne
04-14-2015, 02:24 PM
I kinda think of government providing that which we cannot provide for ourselves. I agree with the above.

That actually is IT in a nutshell, the difference being which level of government should be involved and to what degree.

I think a generalization may be made that IF my view would become reality we'd find that most major cities would be much more 'welfare friendly' than other areas or to put it more simply, we'd find vast disparities between what is now 'Red' and 'Blue.' Taxes would be much lower in areas where 'self-reliance' was the order, while 'Red' areas would have many more services. It depends upon what one wants and is willing to pay for.

indago
04-14-2015, 04:38 PM
Tomorrow is USA tax day.

It's not so much "For what should the government be able to tax us?", but what taxing powers were granted government. The money goes into a general fund, and it is spent on whatever government decides to spend it on.

red state
04-15-2015, 01:15 AM
So much waste and so many demand from us "RENTERS". A nation of renters....

indago
04-15-2015, 05:12 AM
So much waste and so many demand from us "RENTERS". A nation of renters....

And it wasn't supposed to be that way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUj1L6aAHog

darin
04-15-2015, 03:00 PM
15% flat tax. Drop IRS to about 1000 employees. No filing. No deductions. Everyone pays something. ONLY On income earned - once it's been taxed - NO additional taxation - for example:

If I make $100, I give Feds $15. Any profits I make on the remaining $85 should be tax-free.

Plus - amend constitution to require performance audits.

End NEA. Reduce staff and functions of FDA by 90%

Increase Military budgets (with audits) 150%.

Eliminate Social Security. But for those who contribute to their retirements through other programs, reduce the tax on what they withdraw to 7.5% instead of 15 flat rate.

...off the top of my head.