PDA

View Full Version : EPA and CA Drought: ‘What Civilized Society Destroys Its Own Food Source For A Three-

Jeff
04-15-2015, 05:42 AM
Only in the land of fruits and nuts do we put a 3 inch fish above all else. :laugh:'

Since California Democratic Governor Jerry Brown imposed water restrictions on the state’s residents on April 1, people have suddenly become interested in what government officials have described as “one of the most severe droughts (http://ca.gov/drought/) on record.”But for months, Republican Assemblywoman Shannon Grove -- who represents part of Kern County, the second largest agricultural sector in the country – has been trying to get the word out about how Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulations apparently are literally draining water into the sea all for the sake of a three-inch fish.
“I put together this short video to explain the real cause of California’s water shortage problems, which everyone is paying attention to now that the Governor has imposed water restrictions on the entire state,” Grove wrote on her Facebook page on April 3, the day she reposted the video she first published back in September.

http://cnsnews.com/blog/penny-starr/epa-and-ca-drought-what-civilized-society-destroys-its-own-food-source-three-inch

Kathianne
04-15-2015, 06:23 AM
Good catch, Jeff! Been the case of fed being one of the problems:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052970204731804574384731898375624

<header class="article_header module" style="margin: 0px 10px 6px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 10px; vertical-align: baseline; box-sizing: border-box; position: relative; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: 0px 0px; background-repeat: initial;">California's Man-Made Drought

The green war against San Joaquin Valley farmers.

</header><time class="timestamp" style="margin: 0px 0px 4px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 13px; vertical-align: baseline; font-family: 'Whitney SSm', sans-serif; display: block; line-height: 2.2rem; color: rgb(102, 102, 102); background: 0px 0px;">Updated Sept. 2, 2009 12:49 p.m. ET</time>
California has a new endangered species on its hands in the San Joaquin Valley—farmers. Thanks to environmental regulations designed to protect the likes of the three-inch long delta smelt, one of America's premier agricultural regions is suffering in a drought made worse by federal regulations.

The state's water emergency is unfolding thanks to the latest mishandling of the Endangered Species Act. Last December, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issued what is known as a "biological opinion" imposing water reductions on the San Joaquin Valley and environs to safeguard the federally protected hypomesus transpacificus, a.k.a., the delta smelt. As a result, tens of billions of gallons of water from mountains east and north of Sacramento have been channelled away from farmers and into the ocean, leaving hundreds of thousands of acres of arable land fallow or scorched.

http://www.agchallenge2050.org/farm-and-food-policy/2014/03/mother-nature-and-regulatory-drought-in-california/

Mother Nature and regulatory drought in California

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

...Last month, the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation (USBR) announced an initial zero water allocation for south-of-Delta Central Valley Project (CVP) agricultural water service contractors. USBR also announced 40% allocations to Sacramento River Settlement contractors and the San Joaquin River Exchange contractors, something that has never happened before. This comes as no surprise due to the record dry conditions experienced over the last 12 months, coupled with water supply reductions related to federal regulatory actions.The situation in California merits further consideration, since the looming water crisis there is not solely due to Mother Nature. A significant cause for the lack of stored water in California today is the complicated and sometimes nonsensical way in which laws have been implemented by federal agencies in recent years. Since 1977, a multitude of government regulatory and policy decisions have placed a raft of priority environmental uses ahead of historic humans needs. This has reduced the average water supply for some CVP water users to 40% reliability from 90% reliability. The proof will be seen on the ground this year in California, as hundreds of thousands of acres of the most productive farmland on the planet will go without water.

This is an important issue, not just to the family farms and ranches that have long relied on CVP water, but to producers in other Western states, as well. After all, policies often start in California and slowly spread to other parts of the country.

The farmers and ranchers in the San Joaquin Valley face a very difficult situation. Many people, including urban dwellers in California’s cities, do not even realize that the looming water crisis is due in large part to a regulatory drought, although Mother Nature is certainly contributing to the problem. This may be due, in part, to the extensive coverage afforded by urban media outlets to President Obama’s February visit to Fresno, where he pointed to the California drought situation as the latest example to support his initiative to combat climate change. Many folks on the street have no idea that environmental regulations and the virtual halt of new water storage infrastructure for agriculture in the past 30 years likely have far more to do with the current situation than does climate change.

The frustrating fact is that the water cutbacks that have already occurred are not increasing the populations of salmon and the three-inch delta smelt, which are protected under the federal Endangered Species Act (ESA). Water that once was pumped and diverted for agricultural use is now being left in the system for the purported (but unproven) benefit to fish. That water—which amounts to hundreds of thousands of acre-feet flushed to the sea in a very brief time period—now flows out through the Golden Gate and into the Pacific Ocean, unused.

darin
04-15-2015, 03:02 PM
Nobody cares. People elect those who appoint EPA fools based on the lies told by the person being elected. Thus, the fools appointed by the fool will simply lie and say "no, that's not true!" and most people will believe it.

We are a nation of liars and people who love being lied to.

Jeff
04-15-2015, 04:02 PM
Nobody cares. People elect those who appoint EPA fools based on the lies told by the person being elected. Thus, the fools appointed by the fool will simply lie and say "no, that's not true!" and most people will believe it.

We are a nation of liars and people who love being lied to.

Couldn't agree more !!!

Perianne
04-15-2015, 04:34 PM
An acre foot of water is 326,700 gallons. California has allowed 1,245,000 acre feet of precious water to wash out to the ocean so as to protect the little fishy. That is 4,059,571,500,000. A little over 4 trillion gallons of water for the fish.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-15-2015, 05:58 PM
An acre foot of water is 326,700 gallons. California has allowed 1,245,000 acre feet of precious water to wash out to the ocean so as to protect the little fishy. That is 4,059,571,500,000. A little over 4 trillion gallons of water for the fish.

Just another example of the insanity/stupidity of liberals and their actions!
None of it shocks me at all.
Destroy man to save a fish. Liberal thinking at its best..
And we bow to such idiots.
Sorry, I mean idiots bow to such idiots. I bow to no man..
My father did not raise me to be a damn foooooooooooooooooool! --Tyr

LongTermGuy
04-15-2015, 07:53 PM
Just another example of the insanity/stupidity of liberals and their actions!
None of it shocks me at all.
Destroy man to save a fish. Liberal thinking at its best..
And we bow to such idiots.
Sorry, I mean idiots bow to such idiots. I bow to no man..
My father did not raise me to be a damn foooooooooooooooooool! --Tyr

:clap::clap::clap:.....:salute:

darin
04-16-2015, 02:02 PM
You bow. You may not do it physically, but you do. Everytime you obey a law, you 'bow' to authority.

While in Japan I bowed a LOT because its polite.

:)

Look - that's the thing. There's no hope. Nobody will take responsibility for this - JUST LIKE Hillary washed her hands of the lives lost at Benghazi. NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE CARE.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-16-2015, 10:59 PM
You bow. You may not do it physically, but you do. Everytime you obey a law, you 'bow' to authority.

While in Japan I bowed a LOT because its polite.

:)

Look - that's the thing. There's no hope. Nobody will take responsibility for this - JUST LIKE Hillary washed her hands of the lives lost at Benghazi. NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE CARE.

Of course I bow to the-- Rule of Law--, but not to the asshats that create and ffkk it up..

I'd just as soon beat any of them to death as look at their sorry asses. The-- LAW- is ALL that keeps me from doing so.. A fact..
There is no lower level of contempt than what I have for such ffing people..-Tyr

Noir
04-17-2015, 05:46 AM

Wow! 4 Trillion gallons of water? Thats huge! Thats almost 350,000 lb worth of beef!
I'm guess the story about these 3inch fish will wash over the disastrously unsustainable beef industries water usage, because its more fun to rail against the gov. and a fish.

jimnyc
04-17-2015, 06:16 AM
Wow! 4 Trillion gallons of water? Thats huge! Thats almost 350,000 lb worth of beef!
I'm guess the story about these 3inch fish will wash over the disastrously unsustainable beef industries water usage, because its more fun to rail against the gov. and a fish.

Beef is eaten, and many profit from it. Protecting the little fishies is more or less just a loss.

Noir
04-17-2015, 06:43 AM
Beef is eaten, and many profit from it. Protecting the little fishies is more or less just a loss.

Yep! Just think we could have wiped out this pesky 3 inch fish and put an extra pound of beef in less than 1% of Cali citizens plates over a year. Such value.

jimnyc
04-17-2015, 06:54 AM
Yep! Just think we could have wiped out this pesky 3 inch fish and put an extra pound of beef in less than 1% of Cali citizens plates over a year. Such value.

I'm pretty sure "4 trillion gallons of water" would be more valuable to the state right now than just a pound of beef. Ever been through a water shortage? It sucks! These people would be able to shower better, wash things, water lawns so they don't die, plants, and many many other uses as you know for water. YOU are the one who is using rhetoric and making it sound as if the saved water would solely be used for meat, which is something you're against. This is about much more than that. I don't think the people saving water give a crap about meat too much either way right now.

jimnyc
04-17-2015, 06:54 AM

Btw, off topic, I feel asleep very early last night, who won the Rangers/Penguins game? :)

Noir
04-17-2015, 07:15 AM
I'm pretty sure "4 trillion gallons of water" would be more valuable to the state right now than just a pound of beef. Ever been through a water shortage? It sucks! These people would be able to shower better, wash things, water lawns so they don't die, plants, and many many other uses as you know for water. YOU are the one who is using rhetoric and making it sound as if the saved water would solely be used for meat, which is something you're against. This is about much more than that. I don't think the people saving water give a crap about meat too much either way right now.

My point is that people are gonna go off on one regarding protecting this fish, and how it's causing the drought. Ignoring the *much* bigger water waster which is the beef industry. The fact that such a huge number, 4 trillion gallons, equates to such a small amount of beef should concern people, and maybe make them consider than while it is debatable whether or not the fish is worth being protected, that beef production is the Elephant in the room. People are arguing over the cents and letting the dollars slip away.

Btw, off topic, I feel asleep very early last night, who won the Rangers/Penguins game? :)

the game was blacked out for me so I had to watch the Red Wings game instead >,> I hear the penguins have let the Rangers home fans enjoy a win, very charitable at this time of the season (;

jimnyc
04-17-2015, 07:20 AM
My point is that people are gonna go off on one regarding protecting this fish, and how it's causing the drought. Ignoring the *much* bigger water waster which is the beef industry. The fact that such a huge number, 4 trillion gallons, equates to such a small amount of beef should concern people, and maybe make them consider than while it is debatable whether or not the fish is worth being protected, that beef production is the Elephant in the room. People are arguing over the cents and letting the dollars slip away.

Forgive me for not being up to date... How is the water used in the beef industry "wasted"? Is it literally wasted, or wasted as in you don't like it being used to raise/kill/prepare meat?

the game was blacked out for me so I had to watch the Red Wings game instead >,> I hear the penguins have let the Rangers home fans enjoy a win, very charitable at this time of the season (;

Blacked out on the main channel here too, but I have MSG HD on Directv which had it on. I should be shot, I actually forgot until the 1st period was already over and the Rangers up 2-0!!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-17-2015, 08:42 AM
Simple equation just for you.

People= very, very important
little fish= not as important
People= need water to survive
fish= who gives a damn? , because fish are not people!

Agri-land should and must be placed as higher priority than the fish and beside , its not an absolute that the fish will perish--
but if they did perish too bad as people are what the earth was intended to produce and maintain!
ALL else is just window dressing.
(We are the top of the food chain, get used to that reality.):laugh:

For context , see God or read up on the true God and not that pretender the muzzies murder for.. ..-Tyr

Kathianne
04-20-2015, 06:00 AM
http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/205386/

FROM CALIFORNIA DREAMIN’ TO CALIFORNIA NIGHTMARE: Joel Kotkin over at Daily Beast has a great piece explaining how California’s drought crisis illustrates the State’s devolution into a feudalistic society dominated by an oligarchy of super-rich liberals (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/04/19/big-idea-california-is-so-over.html) who’ve handcuffed the State’s ability to grow and prosper:

But ultimately the responsibility for California’s future lies with our political leadership, who need to develop the kind of typically bold approaches past generations have embraced. One step would be building new storage capacity, which Governor Jerry Brown, after opposing it for years (http://www.city-journal.org/2015/cjc0402vdh.html), has begun to admit is necessary. Desalinization, widely used in the even more arid Middle East, notably Israel, has been blocked by environmental interests but could tap a virtually unlimited supply of the wet stuff, and lies close to the state’s most densely populated areas. Essentially the state (http://unionwatch.org/desalination-plants-vs-bullet-trains-and-pensions/) could build enough desalinization facilities, and the energy plants to run them, for less money than Brown wants to spend on his high-speed choo-choo to nowhere. This piece of infrastructure is so irrelevant to the state’s needs that even many progressives, such as Mother Jones’ Kevin Drum (http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2012/01/california-hsr-now-even-more-ridiculous), consider it a “ridiculous” waste of money.

And there needs to be, at least for the short term, an end to dumping water (http://waterprogram.tamu.edu/latest-articles/291-california-drought-turns-political) into San Francisco Bay for the purpose of restoring a long-gone salmon run, or to the Delta, in order to save a bait-fish, the Delta smelt, which may already be close to extinct (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/04/150403-smelt-california-bay-delta-extinction-endangered-species-drought-fish/). This dumping of water has continued even as the state has faced a potentially crippling water shortage; nothing is too good for our fish, or to salve the hyper-heated consciousness of the environmental illuminati.

Kotkin concludes:

What we are witnessing the breakdown of a once-expansive, open society into one dominated by a small group of plutocrats, largely in Silicon Valley, with an “amen” crew among the low-information donors of Hollywood, the public unions, the green lobby, and wealthy real estate developers favored by Brown’s pro-density policies. This coalition backs Brown and helps maintain the state’s essentially one-party system. No one is more adamant about reducing people’s carbon footprint than the jet set of Silicon Valley or the state’s planning elite (http://www.laweekly.com/news/do-as-we-say-not-as-we-do-2149098), even if they choose not to live in a manner that they instruct all others.

Yep–pretty much sums up the progressives’ approach to problems: Political correctness+ignorance+crony capitalism= preferred “solution.” Read the whole thing.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-20-2015, 06:22 AM
http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/205386/

They can die of thirst but rest well in their beds because a bait fish still exists. They can sing praises to mother earth as they waste trillions of gallons of water that could have helped the thirsty populace and the arid landscape.
ALL because they are delusional as environmentalists, global warming idiots and liberals that believe in an insane ideology.
You reap what you sow.....
So may be a very hard view to hold but --"let them eat cake or pray to Hollywood to save them". I will save my sympathy for those deserving of it..

Idiots should have built those desalination plants over 6 years ago.. Droughts in Cali can lost decades, history shows that but it has been ignored.
Fail to learn from history-- pay the price.. -Tyr