PDA

View Full Version : My new baby

Jeff
04-15-2015, 05:38 PM
My wife surprised me with this little cutie, her name is Jada and she has such a nice personality, that is if she will quit trying to eat the cats. :laugh:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7132&stc=1http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7133&stc=1http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7134&stc=1

Jada is about 2 years old, the wife picked her up at a rescue. She came house broken and is friendly as can be, all except with the cats that is, I am hoping to break her of that or we are going to need to take her back. I am not sure she will hurt the cats but I don't want to find out the hard way either.

Perianne
04-15-2015, 05:39 PM
How sweet!!!!

tailfins
04-15-2015, 05:49 PM
My wife surprised me with this little cutie, her name is Jada and she has such a nice personality, that is if she will quit trying to eat the cats. :laugh:

Jada is about 2 years old, the wife picked her up at a rescue. She came house broken and is friendly as can be, all except with the cats that is, I am hoping to break her of that or we are going to need to take her back. I am not sure she will hurt the cats but I don't want to find out the hard way either.

Just think of the cats the same way you think of feeder goldfish for your pet Oscar fish.

http://completegoldfishcare.com/public_html/completegoldfishcare.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/oscar-eating-goldfish-and-tropical-fish.jpg?25fb80

jimnyc
04-15-2015, 05:53 PM
Oh man, a 2 year old, who already doesn't like the cats.... Hope Laura wasn't too attached to the kitties! :lol:

Beautiful dog though!!! :beer:

jimnyc
04-15-2015, 05:55 PM
Just think of the cats the same way you think of feeder goldfish for your pet Oscar fish.

http://completegoldfishcare.com/public_html/completegoldfishcare.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/oscar-eating-goldfish-and-tropical-fish.jpg?25fb80

That's funny, looks like my old Oscar. That fat bastard would look exactly like that, and STILL trying to eat more. He couldn't swallow as fast as he would eat and digest. Oscars rule!

Jeff
04-15-2015, 06:09 PM
I have the Oscar as well :laugh:

Hopefully she is just wanting to play with the cats, her tail never stops wagging, but man she sure wants them.

jimnyc
04-15-2015, 06:14 PM
I have the Oscar as well :laugh:

Hopefully she is just wanting to play with the cats, her tail never stops wagging, but man she sure wants them.

It'll take awhile, just make sure the kitties have a place to hide, which I know they do.

She looks kinda meaty, how much you think she weighs about?

Jeff
04-15-2015, 06:27 PM
It'll take awhile, just make sure the kitties have a place to hide, which I know they do.

She looks kinda meaty, how much you think she weighs about?

Khaos was about 70 plus so I would put her about 60, she is as tall as K was but not as wide, but her head is as big if not bigger. The rescue only had her for a week so I will see what a month of good feed does, she may or may not gain weight , guess we will see. But for a average Pit she is a good size, you have to remember Khoas was a Bully.

KitchenKitten99
04-15-2015, 09:18 PM
Training collars work great for training an older (aka non-puppy) dog to stay away from cats. Just use the lowest possible effective setting.

I have used them on all 4 of my huskies, one of which was an adult (appx 3 or 4) when we adopted him and he had never seen a cat and obviously went after them. Took about 3 months with the collar before his 'preying' instinct was curbed with them.

The highest setting on the collar I have ever used is about 4, with the highest it could be set to was 15.

Jeff
04-16-2015, 05:56 AM
Training collars work great for training an older (aka non-puppy) dog to stay away from cats. Just use the lowest possible effective setting.

I have used them on all 4 of my huskies, one of which was an adult (appx 3 or 4) when we adopted him and he had never seen a cat and obviously went after them. Took about 3 months with the collar before his 'preying' instinct was curbed with them.

The highest setting on the collar I have ever used is about 4, with the highest it could be set to was 15.

KK this collar is one that you have to hit a button to activate? I have the collar that you put on the dog to keep them in the yard and it works great, so I will try this, Thank you . :thumb:

fj1200
04-17-2015, 08:27 AM
My wife surprised me with this little cutie...

Would you like another? My friends rescued a smaller, partial pit?, that's good with the family, 3 kids, but not with guests. They can't keep her and are trying to find another home. Apparently she's also had biting issues so if she goes back it's lights out.

NightTrain
04-17-2015, 08:45 AM
Here's what you need to do, Jeff :

1) Put the dog in your bedroom & close the door.

2) Sit at the kitchen table with a cat on your lap, petting it so it is relaxed and comfortable.

3) Have your wife open the door, while you call the dog over to you.

4) With your wife videotaping, attempt to hold the cat on your lap as the dog charges over to you.

5) Try to stop the bleeding.

6) Upload the video to YouTube and send me the link.

jimnyc
04-17-2015, 08:52 AM
Just hold the cat and let the dog out! One time Mom was dumb enough to have the cat out of the carrier while she was waiting in the vet waiting room. In walked another lady with a dog, kitty got scared - Mom had like 10 stitches or whatever by the end of the day, and a gnarly scar!

NightTrain
04-17-2015, 09:01 AM
Just hold the cat and let the dog out! One time Mom was dumb enough to have the cat out of the carrier while she was waiting in the vet waiting room. In walked another lady with a dog, kitty got scared - Mom had like 10 stitches or whatever by the end of the day, and a gnarly scar!

Yeah, I have a sick sense of humor... it's funny as hell to watch someone try to hold on to a mini-tornado of claws and teeth.

darin
04-17-2015, 10:55 AM
Good man! Dogs are the best :)

Jeff
04-18-2015, 08:06 AM
OK we tried the deal with holding the cat ( the wife did :eek: ) we put Jada ( the dog ) into the crate and the wife brought out one of the cats, well seems Jada really got Poed, I am guessing she was now jealous because she tried her best to get through the crate :laugh: she was lunging at the gate in the front so bad that the crate looked like it was about to flip, as for the cat she hissed but I guess she trusted the wife to protect her because nope, no blood no stitches. :laugh:

NightTrain
04-18-2015, 09:09 AM
OK we tried the deal with holding the cat ( the wife did :eek: ) we put Jada ( the dog ) into the crate and the wife brought out one of the cats, well seems Jada really got Poed, I am guessing she was now jealous because she tried her best to get through the crate :laugh: she was lunging at the gate in the front so bad that the crate looked like it was about to flip, as for the cat she hissed but I guess she trusted the wife to protect her because nope, no blood no stitches. :laugh:

What!

You were supposed to hold the cat, you big sissy!

KitchenKitten99
04-18-2015, 10:12 AM
KK this collar is one that you have to hit a button to activate? I have the collar that you put on the dog to keep them in the yard and it works great, so I will try this, Thank you . :thumb:

Yep. It's about $150 investment but it has a rechargeable battery for both collar and remote. If it works on my huskies to keep them away from doors (I had to do this to help them to not run out without a leash) and not be a danger to the cats, it will work with any dog. My pups don't even need the collar if they just hear me shake the remote lanyard, they immediately stop the behavior because it is associated with the not fun static zap they get. Doesn't hurt them but it is unpleasant (if turned down enough anyway).

http://www.petsmart.com/dog/remote-training/petsafe-big-dog-remote-trainer-zid36-2413705/cat-36-catid-100128?_t=pfm%3Dcategory

Jeff
04-18-2015, 10:34 AM
Yep. It's about $150 investment but it has a rechargeable battery for both collar and remote. If it works on my huskies to keep them away from doors (I had to do this to help them to not run out without a leash) and not be a danger to the cats, it will work with any dog. My pups don't even need the collar if they just hear me shake the remote lanyard, they immediately stop the behavior because it is associated with the not fun static zap they get. Doesn't hurt them but it is unpleasant (if turned down enough anyway).

http://www.petsmart.com/dog/remote-training/petsafe-big-dog-remote-trainer-zid36-2413705/cat-36-catid-100128?_t=pfm%3Dcategory

Thank you.

I know they do work, well I have the electronic collar ( one anyway ) that keeps the dogs in the yard and it works great. And as you say after the fist shock ( witch isn't really bad, I think it scares the dog more than hurt ) the dog backs up the minute the collar beeps ( when she comes with in a couple of feet of the out of bounds mark it beeps ) but the minute that battery runs out she is off :laugh: Thank you again KK

jimnyc
04-18-2015, 11:01 AM

I'm not feeling a successful friendship here. I'm envisioning one of them being an overnight snack!!

Little-Acorn
04-18-2015, 02:46 PM
The cats may solve the problem for you.

One good claw slash across the nose, and the dog might think twice about attacking them again.

Jeff
04-19-2015, 03:08 AM
Tonight my wife had the bright idea to bring one of the cats out but she said she would hold them :laugh: well she didn't get scratched but she had a Bully going crazy, knocked her down onto the couch as the dog went crazy. ( and my goodness is she huge, solid muscle and after I gave her a few good meals,wow muscle on top of muscle and each muscle is ripped ) Strange thing was the dogs tail never stopped wagging, I don't think she wants to hurt the cats but rather she just wants to chase them. My wife sat the cat on the tower ( where she would be safe ) and the cat jumped down, the race was on, two recliners hit the wall and a coffee table was knocked over, all within seconds, but again no growling or barking, in fact her tail never stopped wagging. But man I can't take a chance, this dog is huge and strong, I am afraid of what she could do to the cats if she wanted, so yes we are going to keep slowly training.

Little-Acorn
04-19-2015, 11:06 AM
but she had a Bully going crazy,

Is the dog a Pit Bull?

(Sorry I can't recognize a dog from photos, if it's not a type I've owned before, boxer or German Shepard or beagle)

From what I've heard, while Pit Bulls can be friendly and wonderful, once they get their Irish up, they never quit. Ever.

"Slowly training" a Pit Bull to treat cats nicely when the dog clearly wants to chase them to Kingdom Come, is like "slowly training" water to flow uphill against gravity.

Either the cats' days are numbered, or the dog's are.

Bringing that dog into a house with cats, is a fundamental mistake, and nothing will change that. Except getting rid of the dog, or getting rid of the cats. You have no other choice.

Which will it be?

Jeff
04-20-2015, 05:55 AM
Is the dog a Pit Bull?

(Sorry I can't recognize a dog from photos, if it's not a type I've owned before, boxer or German Shepard or beagle)

From what I've heard, while Pit Bulls can be friendly and wonderful, once they get their Irish up, they never quit. Ever.

"Slowly training" a Pit Bull to treat cats nicely when the dog clearly wants to chase them to Kingdom Come, is like "slowly training" water to flow uphill against gravity.

Either the cats' days are numbered, or the dog's are.

Bringing that dog into a house with cats, is a fundamental mistake, and nothing will change that. Except getting rid of the dog, or getting rid of the cats. You have no other choice.

Which will it be?

I believe the dog wins hands down. :laugh: now if ya ask my wife you may get another answer.

Yes she is a Bully, a larger breed of Pit Bull, but her disposition is so sweet and the one thing I noticed was even while chasing the cat she never barked or growled nor did her tail quit wagging, so I do believe there is hope. Pitts are very smart and very loyal and I am hoping in time she will realize that Momma really likes those cats, see every Bully I have ever owned had one thing in mind, making their owner happy, so I am not going to count it a loss just yet.

But just in case I do have a plan B :laugh:

The cats are in the bedroom that has a large bathroom off of it so it isn't like they don't have room, but if this rain ever ends I will usually take the dog with me so at that time the cats will have the run of the house and I will eventually put up a fence so that on nice days the dog can be outside and then they will have it again, so they will really only be confined at night, I just wish they would get along, I have pictures of my old Bully ( all 75lbs ) playing with kittens, so yes they can be friends but then again that Bully came into the house at 7 weeks old, so she grew up with the cats.

jimnyc
04-20-2015, 08:00 AM
Jeff, do you still have the white Pit? I'm stupid, can't recall!

Jeff
04-21-2015, 07:17 AM
Jeff, do you still have the white Pit? I'm stupid, can't recall!

Yes, Sammy, that is Laura's dog. Sammy and Rock stay outside ( Rocky is a Pitt Rott mix )

jimnyc
04-21-2015, 07:20 AM
Yes, Sammy, that is Laura's dog. Sammy and Rock stay outside ( Rocky is a Pitt Rott mix )

I thought Laura's dog was mostly black? The dog I remember was pure white...

jimnyc
04-21-2015, 07:54 AM
Maybe not pure white... but here is the one I am remembering, you must have sold her off. Only took me about 1/2 an hour to find it!!

http://i.imgur.com/tPJAWke.jpg

tailfins
04-21-2015, 09:40 AM
I'm not feeling a successful friendship here. I'm envisioning one of them being an overnight snack!!

That sounds pretty successful to me.