PDA

View Full Version : After searching through 25 years of life

06-30-2007, 03:33 PM
They found some dirt on Romney.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2007/06/romney-strapped.html

ABC News' Jake Tapper Reports: Republican presidential candidate former Gov. Mitt Romney, R-Mass., has angered animal rights activists for strapping his dog to the roof of his car on a family trip from Boston to Ontario, Canada.

According to the Boston Globe, in one of the family's 12-hour drives to their family's cottage in Canada over 25 years ago, Romney strapped a dog carrier to the roof of the car for the whole trip -- with the family Irish setter, Seamus, inside.

Seamus protested in a scatological way, going to the bathroom on the roof of the car.

Animal rights activists reached by TIME Magazine said the tale seems a little cruel.

"It is commonsense that any dog who's under extreme stress might show that stress by losing control of his bowels: that alone should have been sufficient indication that the dog was, basically, being tortured," Time quoted Ingrid Newkirk, president of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals as saying.

Newkirk said it was "a lesson in cruelty that was ... wrong for [his children] to witness."

I guess they think the dog would have done better in the trunk or something....

shattered
06-30-2007, 03:41 PM
Actually, they would have done better to either rent a van, and put the dog in the carrier in back, or board the dog at a kennel.

One does not put a dog IN a carrier, and strap it to the TOP of a car, and proceed to do freeway speeds for 12 hours.

Yes, that IS cruel.

Mr. P
06-30-2007, 04:12 PM
Actually, they would have done better to either rent a van, and put the dog in the carrier in back, or board the dog at a kennel.

One does not put a dog IN a carrier, and strap it to the TOP of a car, and proceed to do freeway speeds for 12 hours.

Yes, that IS cruel.

And stupid.

Gaffer
06-30-2007, 06:15 PM
As long as its a solid carrier so the air isn't blowing directly on the dog it won't hurt the dog at all. If they didn't stop and let the dog do his business very often then he's going to do it in the carrier.

They need to find some better dirt than this. If peta doesn't like him I have to consider him a good choice.

06-30-2007, 06:30 PM
how is it more cruel than putting a dog in a carrier kennel and placing it in a plane or on a ship? The dog seemed to be alright after the trip from what I read.

amazing though this is all they have to attack Romney with.

shattered
06-30-2007, 06:59 PM
how is it more cruel than putting a dog in a carrier kennel and placing it in a plane or on a ship? The dog seemed to be alright after the trip from what I read.

amazing though this is all they have to attack Romney with.

Suppose the ties holding the carrier down happen to snap for whatever reason?

The odds of that happening are MUCH more likely than a carrier falling out of a plane, or off a ship.

manu1959
06-30-2007, 08:10 PM
Suppose the ties holding the carrier down happen to snap for whatever reason?

The odds of that happening are MUCH more likely than a carrier falling out of a plane, or off a ship.

but it didn't happen...and the dog was fine.....hell i went on car trips with my family ..... i would have prefered to be on the roof :poke:

shattered
06-30-2007, 08:22 PM
but it didn't happen...and the dog was fine.....hell i went on car trips with my family ..... i would have prefered to be on the roof :poke:

Hey, I'm not arguing that if that's the worst they've got on the man, they ain't got shit..

I'm just saying, from the perspective of an animal lover, and a pet owner, that was a damned shitty, and irresponsible thing to do...

manu1959
06-30-2007, 08:42 PM
Hey, I'm not arguing that if that's the worst they've got on the man, they ain't got shit..

I'm just saying, from the perspective of an animal lover, and a pet owner, that was a damned shitty, and irresponsible thing to do...

what about the back of a pick up?

shattered
06-30-2007, 08:45 PM
what about the back of a pick up?

Even a crate in the back of a pickup is safer than on top of the car...

If you won't put your kids carseat up there, what makes you think your dogs crate would be any safer?

manu1959
06-30-2007, 08:45 PM
this seems like a good way to transport....

http://www.immigrationwatchdog.com/?p=4109

manu1959
06-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Even a crate in the back of a pickup is safer than on top of the car...

If you won't put your kids carseat up there, what makes you think your dogs crate would be any safer?

what if the dog crate was designed to be on the roof?

shattered
06-30-2007, 09:31 PM
what if the dog crate was designed to be on the roof?

It wasn't.

Gadget (fmr Marine)
06-30-2007, 09:36 PM
Irish setter tastes like bald eagle....mmmm goood!

Hugh Lincoln
07-04-2007, 11:26 AM
I just had an idea for long car trips with my mother-in-law.

nevadamedic
07-04-2007, 08:51 PM
I just had an idea for long car trips with my mother-in-law.

Which was?

glockmail
07-04-2007, 09:42 PM
I see trucks carrying wire crates full of chickens all the time here in Yadkin Valley. Feathers flying all over and shit. A dog is at least better suited to the wind then those poor chikens are.

I don't see any Democrats boycotting chicken meat 'cuz of that.

Hypocrites.

gabosaurus
07-04-2007, 10:33 PM
He's a Mormon. Can't get any more shady that that.

nevadamedic
07-04-2007, 10:47 PM

Yes you can, all's you have to do is be a Liberal.

07-05-2007, 07:48 PM

If more people were as Shady as Mitt is, this world would be a much better place.

glockmail
07-05-2007, 07:53 PM
He's a Mormon. Can't get any more shady that that. Actually all mormons go through a 2 year deal where they do nothing for themselves and serve their fellow man. Compare that to most libs who take off before or after college in a one year bohemian sex-drug-fest, or go to san fran to "find themselves".

I'll take the mormon any day.

nevadamedic
07-05-2007, 11:21 PM
Actually all mormons go through a 2 year deal where they do nothing for themselves and serve their fellow man. Compare that to most libs who take off before or after college in a one year bohemian sex-drug-fest, or go to san fran to "find themselves".

I'll take the mormon any day.

:laugh2: