PDA

View Full Version : Obama takes blame for operation that killed two hostages

fj1200
04-23-2015, 12:23 PM
Obama takes blame for operation that killed two hostages (http://news.yahoo.com/white-house-two-al-qaeda-hostages-killed-us-140915461.html)

President Barack Obama on Thursday revealed that an American and an Italian hostage were killed in a covert US counter-terrorism operation on the Afghan-Pakistan border in January, saying he took "full responsibility" for the tragedy.

Making public the previously classified finding, Obama expressed his "deepest apologies" to the families of the two hostages, Warren Weinsteinand Giovanni Lo Porto.

Two other Americans linked to Al-Qaeda, including spokesman Adam Gadahn, were killed in operations at around the same time, the White House said.

"Based on information and intelligence we have obtained, we believe that a US counter-terrorism operation targeting an Al-Qaeda compound in the Afghanistan-Pakistan border region accidentally killed Warren and Giovanni this past January," Obama said in an unscheduled statement.
"While both Faruq and Gadahn were Al-Qaeda members, neither was specifically targeted, and we did not have information indicating their presence at the sites of these operations."

Kathianne
04-23-2015, 12:26 PM
Obama takes blame for operation that killed two hostages (http://news.yahoo.com/white-house-two-al-qaeda-hostages-killed-us-140915461.html)

As Gunny would say, 'War IS Hell.' I'm not an Obama defender, but all actions have consequences. His problem is that he always keeps the actions to a minimum, so the consequences are in vain.

NightTrain
04-23-2015, 01:17 PM
How about that? Obama took responsibility for something.

I have to say that it's a refreshing change of course.

jimnyc
04-23-2015, 01:47 PM
I'll give him credit too. It's a rare thing from him, this administration. Wouldn't surprise me if there is more to the story, and his hand was played, but I'll give him the benefit with this one.

Gunny
04-23-2015, 01:54 PM
As Gunny would say, 'War IS Hell.' I'm not an Obama defender, but all actions have consequences. His problem is that he always keeps the actions to a minimum, so the consequences are in vain.

Bet too this will mean more restrictions on counter terrorist operations.

LongTermGuy
04-23-2015, 02:16 PM

`Agreed...."almost" as it was played that way...for more binds and stipulations on our Military.`

Gunny
04-23-2015, 03:17 PM
`Agreed...."almost" as it was played that way...for more binds and stipulations on our Military.`

I think he ought to just cut to the chase and amputate both arms off every military person before he sends them over.

Elessar
04-24-2015, 01:10 AM
I'll give him credit too. It's a rare thing from him, this administration. Wouldn't surprise me if there is more to the story, and his hand was played, but I'll give him the benefit with this one.

I had to blink twice when I saw this..took responsibility??

04-24-2015, 02:49 AM

Which is probably the whole point.

Jeff
04-24-2015, 06:12 AM

I think we all can safely bet the farm there is more to this story. Obama hasn't taken responsibility for anything he didn't feel would boost him in the polls as of yet, why change when he is in the home stretch.

fj1200
04-24-2015, 08:20 AM
Who knew that there were this many cynics here.

:scared:

Did anyone notice they also took out two American citizens?

NightTrain
04-24-2015, 08:41 AM
Who knew that there were this many cynics here.

:scared:

Did anyone notice they also took out two American citizens?

Yeah, and that is a shame.

However, I'd rather catch a Hellfire at Mach 3 than have my head sawed off with a knife for the video.

fj1200
04-24-2015, 08:42 AM
Yeah, and that is a shame.

However, I'd rather catch a Hellfire at Mach 3 than have my head sawed off with a knife for the video.

Definitely, but I was referring to Faruq and Gadahn.