PDA

View Full Version : how has Christ changed your life?

04-26-2015, 03:22 AM
I was thinking about this earlier. I think it's something every Christian needs to consider. I think it tells us a lot about the condition of our faith. As I was pondering this two passages from the Book of Mormon stood out to me.

Tell first was from the aftermath of a sermon King Benjamin gave his people. He prophecies to them about the coming of Christ and the plan odds redemption and asked them for their thoughts:

And now, it came to pass that when king Benjamin had thus spoken to his people, he sent among them, desiring to know of his people if they believed the words which he had spoken unto them.
2 And they all cried with one voice, saying: Yea, we believe all the words which thou hast spoken unto us; and also, we know of their surety and truth, because of the Spirit of the Lord Omnipotent, which has wrought a mighty change in us, or in our hearts, that we have no more disposition to do evil, but to do good continually.
3 And we, ourselves, also, through the infinite goodnessof God, and the manifestations of his Spirit, have great views of that which is to come; and were it expedient, we could prophesy of all things.
4 And it is the faith which we have had on the things which our king has spoken unto us that has brought us to this great knowledge, whereby we do rejoice with such exceedingly great joy.
5 And we are willing to enter into a covenant with our God to do his will, and to be obedient to his commandments in all things that he shall command us, all the remainder of our days, that we may not bring upon ourselves a never-ending torment, as has been spoken by the angel, that we may not drink out of the cup of the wrath of God. (Mosiah 5:1-5)

Here Christ changed their hearts. Knowledge and faith in Him created a desire to follow Him and repent of their sins. It also gave them the desire to enter into a covenant with God. This change brought them a joy they didn't have before.

The second passage occurs around the same time after a priest named Alma repented and began to teach the people. Afterwards he posed questions for the people:

And it came to pass after many days there were a goodly number gathered together at the place of Mormon, to hear the words of Alma. Yea, all were gathered together that believed on his word, to hear him. And he did teach them, and did preach unto them repentance, and redemption, and faith on the Lord.
8 And it came to pass that he said unto them: Behold, here are the waters of Mormon (for thus were they called) and now, as ye are desirous to come into the foldof God, and to be called his people, and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light;
9 Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life—
10 Now I say unto you, if this be the desire of your hearts, what have you against being baptized in thename of the Lord, as a witness before him that ye have entered into a covenant with him, that ye will serve him and keep his commandments, that he may pour out his Spirit more abundantly upon you?
11 And now when the people had heard these words, they clapped their hands for joy, and exclaimed: This is the desire of our hearts. (Mosiah 18:7-11)

It seems that an outpouring of the Spirit will give those who believe in Christ a change of heart. They will have a desire to covenant with Christ. To serve Him. To stand with Him and lift one another as He would.

I was thinking about my own life. There are many times ive felt overcome with the Holy Spirit. And my desires have been similar. I want to serve God and my fellow man. I want to keep the commandments even if I can't do it perfectly. I am filled with joy and love for my fellow man. I was in college the first time I felt this and it changed the path I've walked in life. I recognized.how selfish and proud I had been before and changed my life.

Have you experienced this change through Christ? How has He changed you? If you are a Christian who hasn't experienced this or a non Christian who has never known Christ, come and believe on Him and seek this change of heart. I can promise you that it will be the first in many miracles you will experience.

Jeff
04-26-2015, 05:20 AM
I have felt the Holy Spirit on many occasions, he has changed me from a terrible person, to one who does care about others and I also try my best to bring others to Christ so they to may feel the love I feel.

Just in the past year God has used me to help others, that is amazing that God will use a uneducated Bum like myself to help others. But one has to remember who did Jesus seek out when he looked for his Disciples, Fisherman and other working class folks, no Jesus didn't look to the wealthy and the goody goodies of the town he seeked out the workers.

One example, a woman I went to HS with, I hardly remembered her name let alone what she even looked like, but I had seen she went to the high school I did so when she sent a friend request I accepted ( I live so far away that I accept most all that went to school with me, it is a good way to keep up with everyone )one day I received a message from this woman asking if I would speak to her, I of course agreed and she then asked if she could call ( yes I was hesitant, not sure how the wife would feel, but the wife happened to walk in the house at that very time , she read the messages and said call her she is in a bad way ) well I wound up helping this woman find God, she had the Holy Spirit come into her as we where on the phone together and this literally saved her life, yes God used a bum like me, how great is that.

Some may know I joined a Motor Cycle Ministry a few years ago and was elected to VP almost immediately, a year of that and I am now the President of our local chapter. This amazes me because I don't have the education I feel would be needed to lead others, but I pray about things and ask God to lead me the right way, when elections came up I received ever vote. We have 3 preachers in our chapter and all 3 have explained to me that when they meet me they knew I was to be the leader of this chapter and that we would do great things together, since then I lost two of those great men ( they have followed other callings ) but my Chaplin sticks with me at my side and usually knows what I am saying or thinking before I ever tell him. Yes God is amazing and he gives us all special gifts, if you are willing to except them they will amaze you.

LongTermGuy
04-26-2015, 09:38 AM
`.....Not a perfect Christian ...but he saved my life on 3 different occasions...each in a different scenarios...locations....and time frames of my life...based on the circumstances and events (how things happened)...I believe!....and will never forget...I too have felt the Holly Spirit...

*I have also asked for help on lessor things...and I have received it....in round about ways which actually worked better for me....ever since I have tried to help "others" in need...when I can the best I can...But...I still remain un-pure and stumble....in some things I say and do...but I ask for forgiveness...and try to make up for it in other ways....It seems `he`...still has faith in me...

*I Posted in this thread to show Gratitude and that I am aware.....and wanted all to know.`

Kathianne
04-26-2015, 10:31 AM
God touches, reaches us all in different ways. It's His path we follow, not what some men decide is the path. While there are times of uncertainty, He is always the Rock upon which one can rest.

Gunny
04-26-2015, 11:20 AM
I was thinking about this earlier. I think it's something every Christian needs to consider. I think it tells us a lot about the condition of our faith. As I was pondering this two passages from the Book of Mormon stood out to me.

Tell first was from the aftermath of a sermon King Benjamin gave his people. He prophecies to them about the coming of Christ and the plan odds redemption and asked them for their thoughts:

Here Christ changed their hearts. Knowledge and faith in Him created a desire to follow Him and repent of their sins. It also gave them the desire to enter into a covenant with God. This change brought them a joy they didn't have before.

The second passage occurs around the same time after a priest named Alma repented and began to teach the people. Afterwards he posed questions for the people:

It seems that an outpouring of the Spirit will give those who believe in Christ a change of heart. They will have a desire to covenant with Christ. To serve Him. To stand with Him and lift one another as He would.

I was thinking about my own life. There are many times ive felt overcome with the Holy Spirit. And my desires have been similar. I want to serve God and my fellow man. I want to keep the commandments even if I can't do it perfectly. I am filled with joy and love for my fellow man. I was in college the first time I felt this and it changed the path I've walked in life. I recognized.how selfish and proud I had been before and changed my life.

Have you experienced this change through Christ? How has He changed you? If you are a Christian who hasn't experienced this or a non Christian who has never known Christ, come and believe on Him and seek this change of heart. I can promise you that it will be the first in many miracles you will experience.

He hasn't. He's always been there.

fj1200
04-27-2015, 05:22 AM
This amazes me because I don't have the education I feel would be needed to lead others, but I pray about things and ask God to lead me the right way, when elections came up I received ever vote.

Being a leader is not about education.

Jeff
04-27-2015, 05:39 AM
Being a leader is not about education.

No Sir it isn't, but in today's day and age with the I'm smarter than you crowd being everywhere honestly I was happy having a relationship with God and walking my walk to the best of my ability. But you are correct God has answered many a prayers to help me figure things out and to win issues against some very educated folks, yes they are easy to outwit when it comes to just doing the right thing, not all mind you but the I am better than thou crowd is.

Gunny
04-27-2015, 03:32 PM
To rephrase: My grandfather was the Superintendent of Sunday School from before I was born until I was 12-13. He was also in the choir. My mother was the organist. I didn't miss out much on the 3 times a week church services until I was a teenager.

I hear about these "born again" types and even the OP asks a question that never was one for me. (No offense). I'm a Southern Baptist Christian. Always have been.

Now, if the question is "When did you realize you were screwing up and not being a good Christian?" different question.

tailfins
04-27-2015, 08:10 PM
This hymn says it better than I can:

<tbody style="box-sizing: border-box;">

What a Friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
Everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit,
O what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry
Everything to God in prayer!

Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged,
Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful
Who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness,
Take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy-laden,
Cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge—
Take it to the Lord in prayer;
Do thy friends despise, forsake thee?
Take it to the Lord in prayer;
In His arms He’ll take and shield thee,
Thou wilt find a solace there.

</tbody>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X35JDIdQF5A

aboutime
04-27-2015, 08:23 PM
Personally. With the way the world, and society has changed so drastically over the last few decades.

My response to the QUESTION about how Christ has changed my life; I still feel, is MY BUSINESS.

Most of us as admitted Christians have been scorned, laughed at, called all sorts of disgusting names because we AREN'T Muslim, Agnostic, or Non-believers, and therefore...accused of worshiping someone, or something we can't see.

So. Since My Faith is MY FAITH. I have no need to feel I must explain anything about my life, or my religious beliefs with anyone who will quietly pretend they really want to know.
There is NO reason for anyone, of any faith to explain, make excuses, or provide personal information about what Christ may, or may not have done to OUR life.

This kind of question eventually becomes fodder for the Non-believers who proudly say THEY DO NOT BELIEVE in order to Ignore, and Pretend...There are no Laws of Man....like the Ten Commandments...they say they do not follow...because THEY DON'T BELIEVE.
Anyone who feels differently? THAT'S YOUR BUSINESS. Not mine.

Kathianne
04-27-2015, 08:27 PM
Personally. With the way the world, and society has changed so drastically over the last few decades.

My response to the QUESTION about how Christ has changed my life; I still feel, is MY BUSINESS.

Most of us as admitted Christians have been scorned, laughed at, called all sorts of disgusting names because we AREN'T Muslim, Agnostic, or Non-believers, and therefore...accused of worshiping someone, or something we can't see.

So. Since My Faith is MY FAITH. I have no need to feel I must explain anything about my life, or my religious beliefs with anyone who will quietly pretend they really want to know.
There is NO reason for anyone, of any faith to explain, make excuses, or provide personal information about what Christ may, or may not have done to OUR life.

This kind of question eventually becomes fodder for the Non-believers who proudly say THEY DO NOT BELIEVE in order to Ignore, and Pretend...There are no Laws of Man....like the Ten Commandments...they say they do not follow...because THEY DON'T BELIEVE.

I hear you, though I have found through my many years the truly hateful are those that think their version of Christian worship is the only path. Somehow I doubt God agrees. God's Word is actually quite clear and it's not full of conditions.

revelarts
04-27-2015, 08:31 PM
This hymn says it better than I can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X35JDIdQF5A
ditto

Gunny
04-27-2015, 11:58 PM

And damned proud to be.

Jeff
04-28-2015, 05:58 AM

AT if God puts it in your heart to keep it to youself than so be it, if he puts it in another heart to share their experiences so be it. Sometime you have to share to let others see what God has done for you, if you give a person something to think about they just may do it, and a celery seed is about as much faith as you have to give someone to get their mind thinking.

Perfect example is when I go into a bike rally, most come to the rally and finding religion is the last thing they are planning on doing. But you would be surprised how many bikers will look at me weraning my religious colors, watching me have a good time and basically doing the same thing they are and they will approach me and ask me whats the deal, and if they wish to hear I will explain. I have had members of some of the biggest clubs in the country sit and talk with me. In fact the guy that started the Ministry I ride with was once the president of the Hells Angel S.E. chapter, when he left the HA they sent 2 different nomads ( killers ) after him to kill him, each on separate days. Both came to his home town to kill him but where instead saved, up until last year the last one alive was still traveling to churches and telling his story. Sometimes sharing will help folks come to God.

tailfins
04-28-2015, 08:08 AM
AT if God puts it in your heart to keep it to youself than so be it, if he puts it in another heart to share their experiences so be it. Sometime you have to share to let others see what God has done for you, if you give a person something to think about they just may do it, and a celery seed is about as much faith as you have to give someone to get their mind thinking.

Perfect example is when I go into a bike rally, most come to the rally and finding religion is the last thing they are planning on doing. But you would be surprised how many bikers will look at me weraning my religious colors, watching me have a good time and basically doing the same thing they are and they will approach me and ask me whats the deal, and if they wish to hear I will explain. I have had members of some of the biggest clubs in the country sit and talk with me. In fact the guy that started the Ministry I ride with was once the president of the Hells Angel S.E. chapter, when he left the HA they sent 2 different nomads ( killers ) after him to kill him, each on separate days. Both came to his home town to kill him but where instead saved, up until last year the last one alive was still traveling to churches and telling his story. Sometimes sharing will help folks come to God.

For those who are saved, refusing to spread the gospel is a sin, plain and simple. For those who don't like interacting with others, one can always distribute leaflets (tracts).

aboutime
04-28-2015, 11:02 AM
Thank you Jeff, and all. As you can tell. I prefer to keep my beliefs, and faith a private thing.

I appreciate everyone else giving input to this as they feel.

So. I will simply stop here. Until someone can honestly prove "WHAT WOULD JESUS SAY?" to me.

I go to the source. Some call it our Soul.

Gunny
04-28-2015, 01:54 PM

"Bout covers it.