PDA

View Full Version : Big Brother IS Watching

Kathianne
07-01-2007, 11:20 AM
This seems unconstitutional to me:

http://blogs.knoxnews.com/knx/silence/archives/2007/06/big_brother_bee_1.shtml

Big Brother, beer and scanning your driver's license number

What, no retina scan?

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Comer Wilson hasn't had to show his ID to buy beer in a while. Maybe it's the 66-year-old man's long white beard.

Starting Sunday, gray hair won't be good enough. Wilson and everyone else will be required to show identification before buying beer in Tennessee stores — no matter how old the buyer appears.

"It's the stupidest law I ever heard of," Wilson said. "You can see I'm over 21."

Tennessee is the first state to make universal carding mandatory, says the National Alcohol Beverage Control Association. However, the law does not apply to beer sales in bars and restaurants, and it does not cover wine and liquor.

Then there's this little gem:

But it has stopped Jeff Campbell from shopping at Rollins' market.

"I don't mind them asking for my ID, but they don't need my driver's license number," said Campbell, 43. "I'm just buying a six-pack. All they need to know is how old I am."

Rollins said scanning licenses has proved beneficial in other ways, such as catching criminals.

When one customer tried to make a purchase using a counterfeit bill, Rollins said police were able to track him down because the receipt from the scanner showed his name and license number — and his address.

Posted by Michael Silence on June 30, 2007 at 04:17 PM

nevadamedic
07-01-2007, 11:38 AM
Everytime someone says Big Brother I think of the Reality show! :laugh2:

Rahul
07-01-2007, 12:43 PM
US law already requires sellers to ask for ID for purchase of liqor, cigarettes, guns etc. . .

Scanning the driver's license number is taking things a bit too far, though. Shades of commieville. . .

Said1
07-01-2007, 01:16 PM
US law already requires sellers to ask for ID for purchase of liqor, cigarettes, guns etc. . .

Scanning the driver's license number is taking things a bit too far, though. Shades of commieville. . .

What's the drinking age in India, 10-11? As long as you have money, I guess it's a moot point, eh?

Since sources mean virtally nothing to Rahul, allow me to quote from the BBC. A well known, reliable source. :laugh2:

One 16-year-old girl told the BBC the age restriction was a mere formality.

"A lot of my friends drink at 15 or 16," she said. "We are allowed into pubs and bars and we can always get alcohol."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4478550.stm

nevadamedic
07-01-2007, 01:30 PM
This seems unconstitutional to me:

http://blogs.knoxnews.com/knx/silence/archives/2007/06/big_brother_bee_1.shtml

Then the Government also can keep track of what your buying, that's BS. I'm all for carding but hell this has gone to far.

Rahul
07-01-2007, 11:45 PM
What's the drinking age in India, 10-11? As long as you have money, I guess it's a moot point, eh?

You got that right. Your point is completely moot, and irrelevant to the debate.

Maybe you could advise your thoughts on the topic, instead of making irrelevant statements.

dan
07-02-2007, 03:52 AM
This does seem a little senseless, not to mention monetarily silly. Who's going to want to go to the liquor store and wait behind two seventy-year-old men while they get their ID's scanned?

I'm surprised this is in Tennessee. It's been my experience that the south is more lax with their ID laws. Someone once sold, and gave me a discount on, a bottle of liquor because I went to high school with his daughter.

Back when getting carded was something to worry about, I remember there being certain gas stations and stores that scanned IDs, but it sucks to have ALL of them do that. Oh, well. Note to self: move to Tennessee, start beer liason operation for high school kids, get rich.

JeffWartman
07-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Then the Government also can keep track of what your buying, that's BS. I'm all for carding but hell this has gone to far.

There's a big difference between age verification and what is being described in the article.