PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions?

Abbey Marie
04-26-2015, 12:08 PM
My husband and I are leaving this week for a cruise in the Mediterranean (Barcelona, Capri, Rome) to celebrate a slightly-belated 25th Anniversary.

Any suggestions or advice on things to see?

NightTrain
04-26-2015, 12:19 PM
This looks interesting.

http://www.readersdigest.ca/travel/world/10-unforgettable-things-do-rome/#HmRp6GtQFzizmKkB.97

Oh yeah, and the Sistine Chapel for sure.

http://www.leeabbamonte.com/europe/5-awesome-things-to-do-in-rome.html

Drummond
04-26-2015, 12:29 PM
My husband and I are leaving this week for a cruise in the Mediterranean (Barcelona, Capri, Rome) to celebrate a slightly-belated 25th Anniversary.

Reckless driving comes to mind !

Italy, Spain, Portugal (I've experienced it personally in Lisbon and Estoril) ... these are all countries where drivers have a reputation for driving in such a way that highway rules and regulations are just seen as 'gentle suggestions'. Cross any road ... say a prayer first ..... :laugh2:

indago
04-26-2015, 12:40 PM

If you are going to Italy, you could stop of at Lecce to see the ancient ruins, and then give us a first hand account when you get back...

http://i59.tinypic.com/6sgcag.jpg

post (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?49302-Ancient-Civilizations)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-26-2015, 12:58 PM

Dont take a cruise unless you know you do not get seasickness.
Also do not cry if you come back having gained ten pounds!
As the food is that good and tasty!
Last but not least I leave you with the wise words my gramps always gave out--

Don't take any wooden nickels.. --;)-TYR

Humor aside, hope you guys have a wonderful and blessed trip.

tailfins
04-26-2015, 01:09 PM

Do you like advice from people with their Clark Howard hat on? You can start by bringing a generous supply of beef jerky with you. You'll be glad you did when you see the food prices. Why not rent a car at land destinations to avoid being led by people whose mission it is to drain your wallet?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-WoqlizXnSMI/ThsJxv-UdYI/AAAAAAAAACI/V1GTX0wCoH8/s319/clark_howard_on_hln.png

jimnyc
04-26-2015, 01:18 PM

The Colosseum is a must, if me anyway! So many awesome things filmed there or around there, would love to see it for myself.

Eat anywhere at all! I understand that the Italian food is much different than 'our' Italian food.

See a cool soccer match in either Italy or Barcelona!!

Enjoy lots and lots and lots of wine. Best red wines I enjoy are from Spain and Italy :wine:

NightTrain
04-26-2015, 01:36 PM
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the Cruise Ship recommendation shenanigans.

There was a big stink up here last year with an expose done about the Cruise Ship guides funneling all of the passengers to services that paid to have them recommend them.

They weren't recommending the companies that had the best services; just the ones who paid them off. So beware of the ship's "local expert" steering you toward a particular company at your next port of call. I guess that practice is rampant within that industry and all the big boys do it.

aboutime
04-26-2015, 07:58 PM

Bon Voyage Abbey. Barcelona is amazing too! Been there twice. There's a SEARS at the top of the Main Concourse/Ave with the open air markets. And take photo's. The ARTISTS are everywhere with their CHALK on the wide slate walkways in the center. Enjoy Rome...more than One day to see it all. Good Luck. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TOO!

Jeff
04-27-2015, 06:13 AM
I have no suggestions Ms. Abbey but I wanted to wish y'all a belated Happy Anniversary and also wish y'all a safe and wonderful trip !!!

Drummond
04-27-2015, 10:30 AM
Bon Voyage Abbey. Barcelona is amazing too! Been there twice. There's a SEARS at the top of the Main Concourse/Ave with the open air markets. And take photo's. The ARTISTS are everywhere with their CHALK on the wide slate walkways in the center. Enjoy Rome...more than One day to see it all. Good Luck. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TOO!Aboutime reminded me ... there's a chain of stores in the UK that also has a presence in Europe (I've seen one in Strasbourg - a major store there - another in Cascais, Portugal ..) .. MARKS & SPENCER.They sell good quality clothing, cosmetics, and their own brand of food (with a considerable range of foodstuffs). I don't know if you'll run into one of their stores, where you're going ... but if you do, it'll be well worth a visit. I thoroughly recommend it.The phenomenon of Americans making a beeline for M&S stores when they're in London, is well known here !