PDA

View Full Version : Why is anti-Catholicism more extreme in New England?

tailfins
04-29-2015, 08:47 AM
Having lived in many places and attending Fundamental Baptist churches in those places, there is a noteworthy phenomena. In New England, the mere mention of the word Catholic, Pope or anything related changes their composure for the worse. In the Midwest and South, that is not the case. To get that effect in the Midwest or South it's practices that raise ire. For example an improper baptism doctrine creates discomfort whether it be from Catholicism or the Church of Christ. Any thoughts why these regional differences exist?

Gunny
04-30-2015, 03:33 PM
Having lived in many places and attending Fundamental Baptist churches in those places, there is a noteworthy phenomena. In New England, the mere mention of the word Catholic, Pope or anything related changes their composure for the worse. In the Midwest and South, that is not the case. To get that effect in the Midwest or South it's practices that raise ire. For example an improper baptism doctrine creates discomfort whether it be from Catholicism or the Church of Christ. Any thoughts why these regional differences exist?

New England was originally Puritan for the most part. The original settlers came here to escape religious persecution in England. In turn, they were as intolerant to others as the Church of England was them. I don't know much about New England nowadays. One place I've never lived. (And I'm fine with that :laugh:). Catholics I think were more in the Mid-Atlantic region, and of course the Southwest - the Spanish, French and Mexicans were predominately Catholic.

The regional differences, IMO, are due to intolerance by the "established" group to anything else.

Kathianne
04-30-2015, 05:22 PM
New England was originally Puritan for the most part. The original settlers came here to escape religious persecution in England. In turn, they were as intolerant to others as the Church of England was them. I don't know much about New England nowadays. One place I've never lived. (And I'm fine with that :laugh:). Catholics I think were more in the Mid-Atlantic region, and of course the Southwest - the Spanish, French and Mexicans were predominately Catholic.

The regional differences, IMO, are due to intolerance by the "established" group to anything else.
I've heard there are a couple in Boston and NY, even in TX. ;)

Gunny
04-30-2015, 05:24 PM
I've heard there are a couple in Boston and NY, even in TX. ;)

I said the Southwest. :laugh: There are 7 Spanish Catholic Missions in San Antonio alone. The Alamo itself was a Catholic mission.

tailfins
04-30-2015, 06:06 PM
I try to be more like the Midwestern and Southern ones. What is more important than who.

Gunny
04-30-2015, 06:58 PM
I try to be more like the Midwestern and Southern ones. What is more important than who.

I try to be like me. I don't have to suffer anyone else's fate. As long as it doesn't interfere with me, I could care less what others believe until they get stupid.

Like atheists who want to argue against religion that don't understand the definition of the term "belief". If you believe in not believing, it's as much a religion as any other. That usually gets them irate, the facts are what they are.

Voted4Reagan
04-30-2015, 07:24 PM
so if I go visit my friends up in Boston and announce I am Irish Catholic they'll become Irate?

Last time I did that they bought rounds all night and we sang Irish songs till Dawn.

Maybe I will try it in Chicago.... or NYC.... oh wait... I have...same result... Green Beer in Chicago and ever flowing mugs in Queens and the Bronx up in Woodlawn.

Maybe I will try it in the deep south..or the Lower midwest..... oh wait.... thaqts where the boys in White sheets and the Radical
"fun-dumb-mentalist" far right wings whack-a-loons are..... they wont stand for it... They will become IRATE.

Tailfins misses the mark yet again.

Gunny
04-30-2015, 07:44 PM
so if I go visit my friends up in Boston and announce I am Irish Catholic they'll become Irate?

Last time I did that they bought rounds all night and we sang Irish songs till Dawn.

Maybe I will try it in Chicago.... or NYC.... oh wait... I have...same result... Green Beer in Chicago and ever flowing mugs in Queens and the Bronx up in Woodlawn.

Maybe I will try it in the deep south..or the Lower midwest..... oh wait.... thaqts where the boys in White sheets and the Radical
"fun-dumb-mentalist" far right wings whack-a-loons are..... they wont stand for it... They will become IRATE.

I think you may have. No one in the South gives a damn what your religion is. I already addressed, and dressed don, people like you stereotyping Southerners in another thread. You're no better than those you presume you accuse. Judging people based on a label, not by who they are.

There are Catholic churches all over the South and the the Southwest. Most people with a brain don't walk up and introduce themselves as "Hi, I'm Gunny the Baptist".

Southerners are WAY more tolerant than Northerners and I've lived in both places. You might want to run back to your draing board, Wile E., and try that one over.

jimnyc
04-30-2015, 07:49 PM
I think you may have. No one in the South gives a damn what your religion is. I already addressed, and dressed don, people like you stereotyping Southerners in another thread. You're no better than those you presume you accuse. Judging people based on a label, not by who they are.

There are Catholic churches all over the South and the the Southwest. Most people with a brain don't walk up and introduce themselves as "Hi, I'm Gunny the Baptist".

Southerners are WAY more tolerant than Northerners and I've lived in both places. You might want to run back to your draing board, Wile E., and try that one over.

I know you dirty bastards hate me though! When I was down there for a brief stint in Ga, quite a few told me they hate yankees, basically right to my face! And with the way I talk, I may as well have said "Hi, I'm Jim and I'm a yankee" as most looked at me a tad funny as soon as they heard the northern accent. Probably would have been shot by this guy down the road from Jeff, if Jeff wasn't there! Now THAT was a hick, hillbilly yankee hater! And his bearded midget wife was carrying a .38 in her hand when I met her. I was a little nervous. :)

Gunny
04-30-2015, 07:55 PM
I know you dirty bastards hate me though! When I was down there for a brief stint in Ga, quite a few told me they hate yankees, basically right to my face! And with the way I talk, I may as well have said "Hi, I'm Jim and I'm a yankee" as most looked at me a tad funny as soon as they heard the northern accent. Probably would have been shot by this guy down the road from Jeff, if Jeff wasn't there! Now THAT was a hick, hillbilly yankee hater! And his bearded midget wife was carrying a .38 in her hand when I met her. I was a little nervous. :)

Nah. We don't mind if y'all visit. We just want you to go home when the visits over. Not move to Dallas and Atlanta.

jimnyc
04-30-2015, 07:58 PM
Nah. We don't mind if y'all visit. We just want you to go home when the visits over. Not move to Dallas and Atlanta.

Maybe that was it then, maybe they saw that I was "moving in" at Jeff's place? All was fine and well until then! LOL

tailfins
04-30-2015, 08:00 PM

Read the OP again. You will see the observation applies to Fundamental Baptists in different parts of the country. Which Reagan did you vote for? Some Democrat Committeeman named Reagan in NY?

You're hated because you're weird and you smell strange.

Gunny
04-30-2015, 08:15 PM
Maybe that was it then, maybe they saw that I was "moving in" at Jeff's place? All was fine and well until then! LOL

On a semi-serious note .... it's kind of piss poor when all Northerners do is criticize us yet we have an influx of Northerners moving here to take our jobs because they don't have any. And they bring their cold-blooded yankee ways with them.

Let's reverse this. Every time I've had something to do with a yankee, I've been screwed. We're laid back and trust people. Northerners are always out for the kill.

jimnyc
04-30-2015, 08:23 PM
You're hated because you're weird and you smell strange.

I likely did. Was so damn hot I nearly died the last time I was down there. I probably was a sweaty smelly mess!

On a semi-serious note .... it's kind of piss poor when all Northerners do is criticize us yet we have an influx of Northerners moving here to take our jobs because they don't have any. And they bring their cold-blooded yankee ways with them.

Let's reverse this. Every time I've had something to do with a yankee, I've been screwed. We're laid back and trust people. Northerners are always out for the kill.

Not me! I love folks from the south. We've been vacationing in all southern states since I was a baby. People in the south have always been so much more friendly, whether on a business level, or personal. And polite and respectful. ('cept for that hillbilly guy and his bearded wife). And I love a southern woman! And yep, my wife will tell you that she is southern through and through - since she was south of the mason dixon, which she literally drove me to and showed me the plaque when I moved in with her!

I need to find a place in the south where it generally doesn't get above 80 or so, tops, in the summer. :)

tailfins
04-30-2015, 08:29 PM

It's not jobs that are lacking in New England, it's reasonably priced housing. The "out for the kill" is true for many up there. A lawsuit is the only language those kind of people understand. Sometimes you need to sharpen the skill of not showing any sign of positive regard whatsoever. I call that "out-New Yorking the New Yorker". I'm actually grateful for the chance to do that here on DP. It's just important to remember that those that are occult missionaries like to manipulate people into acting in a toxic manner. Lucifer loves ill will.

I know that I'm less on edge since leaving the Northeast. Always needing to watch your back gets tiresome.

Gunny
04-30-2015, 09:18 PM
I likely did. Was so damn hot I nearly died the last time I was down there. I probably was a sweaty smelly mess!

Not me! I love folks from the south. We've been vacationing in all southern states since I was a baby. People in the south have always been so much more friendly, whether on a business level, or personal. And polite and respectful. ('cept for that hillbilly guy and his bearded wife). And I love a southern woman! And yep, my wife will tell you that she is southern through and through - since she was south of the mason dixon, which she literally drove me to and showed me the plaque when I moved in with her!

I need to find a place in the south where it generally doesn't get above 80 or so, tops, in the summer. :)

Good luck with that not getting above 80 thing. :laugh:

Abbey Marie
05-01-2015, 01:39 AM
There is a blue one
Who can't accept the green one
For living with a fat one
Trying to be a skinny one
Different strokes
For different folks

Voted4Reagan
05-01-2015, 05:23 AM
It's not jobs that are lacking in New England, it's reasonably priced housing. The "out for the kill" is true for many up there. A lawsuit is the only language those kind of people understand. Sometimes you need to sharpen the skill of not showing any sign of positive regard whatsoever. I call that "out-New Yorking the New Yorker". I'm actually grateful for the chance to do that here on DP. It's just important to remember that those that are occult missionaries like to manipulate people into acting in a toxic manner. Lucifer loves ill will.

I know that I'm less on edge since leaving the Northeast. Always needing to watch your back gets tiresome.

New Yorkers hold Narrow minded religious zealots like you in utter contempt...

Perianne
05-01-2015, 06:57 AM

As if anyone gives a crap what New Yorkers think (except for OUR New Yorkers :) ).

tailfins
05-01-2015, 07:20 AM

I can't tell the difference because one need not worry about getting on the bad side of someone that doesn't have a good side. In other words "in utter contempt" is their typical attitude anyway.

Jeff
05-01-2015, 07:20 AM
Fact is while growing up in NJ I thought I was a redneck, I had the Rebel flag in the back window of my truck and all. When you come South and have some idiot tell you how he hates Yankees, well that is pure ignorance and not the norm down here. With that said yes most southerners take a while to warm up to you, probably due to the stories they have heard by those that are true haters ( yes they hate because of where you were born, your religion, your skin color and the list goes on ) I have honestly found the south to be no different than the north,when me and my best Bro down here get to talking about old times seems he did the same things down here that we did up north, only thing different is the accent. But you will have haters anywhere you go, these folks are just haters and nothing will please them, they are also usually dumb as a wall.

As for the neighbor Jim talks about by my house ( and his midget wife :laugh: ) 5 by 5 is what I called her, his name is Jerry and yes he could fall into that ignorant hater category, but I got to know him over the years and he isn't a bad guy at all, yes he would just as soon shoot as say hello but that wears off when he gets to know you. I remember one of my first dealings with Jerry, I had to use part of his land to turn my truck around to park it in front of my house ( yes dirt roads made by the farmers on their land aren't very big ) well I jumped out of the truck and walked up to him and asked if he minded, he kind of froze, he was white as a ghost, hell just plain eerie looking. Well my buddy ( his nephew ) explained, see Jerry had never seen me up close, so when I jumped out of the truck and he realized I had no fear of him and if I had a hankering to I could rip him up in little pieces he didn't know what to do, and yes I had my gun on my side so his crazy look didn't faze me because we where equal there. Once Jerry realized I wasn't trying to take over the south we became friend and twice a year now we get together and go to the rodeo, that doesn't sound like much but Jerry is a farmer and for a farmer to get time away fro the farm is few and far between, so being as he spends two nights with me, well that is saying a lot.

tailfins
05-01-2015, 07:24 AM
There is a blue one
Different strokes
For different folks

This is song you're looking for:

"Everyday People" is a 1968 song by the soul/rock/funk band Sly & the Family Stone. It was the first single by the band to go to number one on the U.S. Pop Singles chart, holding that position for five weeks from February 15, 1969 until March 15, 1969, and is remembered as a popular song of the 1960s. Like nearly all of Sly & the Family Stone's songs, Sylvester "Sly Stone" Stewart was credited as the sole songwriter.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x12smg_sly-the-family-stone-everyday-peopl_music

Kathianne
05-01-2015, 07:57 AM
There is a blue one
Different strokes
For different folks

Exactly!

Abbey Marie
05-01-2015, 10:10 AM
Fact is while growing up in NJ I thought I was a redneck, I had the Rebel flag in the back window of my truck and all. When you come South and have some idiot tell you how he hates Yankees, well that is pure ignorance and not the norm down here. With that said yes most southerners take a while to warm up to you, probably due to the stories they have heard by those that are true haters ( yes they hate because of where you were born, your religion, your skin color and the list goes on ) I have honestly found the south to be no different than the north,when me and my best Bro down here get to talking about old times seems he did the same things down here that we did up north, only thing different is the accent. But you will have haters anywhere you go, these folks are just haters and nothing will please them, they are also usually dumb as a wall.

As for the neighbor Jim talks about by my house ( and his midget wife :laugh: ) 5 by 5 is what I called her, his name is Jerry and yes he could fall into that ignorant hater category, but I got to know him over the years and he isn't a bad guy at all, yes he would just as soon shoot as say hello but that wears off when he gets to know you. I remember one of my first dealings with Jerry, I had to use part of his land to turn my truck around to park it in front of my house ( yes dirt roads made by the farmers on their land aren't very big ) well I jumped out of the truck and walked up to him and asked if he minded, he kind of froze, he was white as a ghost, hell just plain eerie looking. Well my buddy ( his nephew ) explained, see Jerry had never seen me up close, so when I jumped out of the truck and he realized I had no fear of him and if I had a hankering to I could rip him up in little pieces he didn't know what to do, and yes I had my gun on my side so his crazy look didn't faze me because we where equal there. Once Jerry realized I wasn't trying to take over the south we became friend and twice a year now we get together and go to the rodeo, that doesn't sound like much but Jerry is a farmer and for a farmer to get time away fro the farm is few and far between, so being as he spends two nights with me, well that is saying a lot.

Aww, you're just a big ol' teddy bear!

Abbey Marie
05-01-2015, 10:11 AM
This is song you're looking for:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x12smg_sly-the-family-stone-everyday-peopl_music

I wasn't looking for it, (I know the song well), but thanks for the clip.

jimnyc
05-01-2015, 10:11 AM
Aww, you're just a big ol' teddy bear!

Funniest thing I read in a long time!!! Although he does have a tattoo of a teddy bear! :coffee:

Abbey Marie
05-01-2015, 10:15 AM
Funniest thing I read in a long time!!! Although he does have a tattoo of a teddy bear! :coffee:

Is that teddy bear doing anything untoward? ;)

jimnyc
05-01-2015, 10:20 AM

Laura likely had a say in the matter... otherwise I think this bear could have been doing all kinds of x-rated things if Jeff had his way!

Abbey Marie
05-01-2015, 10:26 AM
Laura likely had a say in the matter... otherwise I think this bear could have been doing all kinds of x-rated things if Jeff had his way!

:no:

http://freshinfos.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/ted_movie.jpg

Gunny
05-01-2015, 11:37 AM
There is a blue one
Different strokes
For different folks

You're old. :laugh:

Gunny
05-01-2015, 11:41 AM

That just means your original assessment was correct -- you ARE a redneck. :laugh:

tailfins
05-01-2015, 12:09 PM
I wasn't looking for it, (I know the song well), but thanks for the clip.

It's NOT a cover. The "By Club Love" means it was posted by them. The clip is an original - enjoy. Covers suck.

jimnyc
05-01-2015, 03:39 PM
Good luck with that not getting above 80 thing. :laugh:

Hence me living in the north. For now. The woman doesn't really want to leave at all, so it might as well be the Caribbean that I want to move to!

C'mon man, no way you can understand that guy when he talks!! Btw, for anyone that cares, my Chihuahua came from this hillbillie's farm. No doubt I rescued him from that midget's sharp teeth. Anyway, this is what that guy sounds like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIaUfBjHjpI

Gunny
05-01-2015, 04:20 PM
Hence me living in the north. For now. The woman doesn't really want to leave at all, so it might as well be the Caribbean that I want to move to!

C'mon man, no way you can understand that guy when he talks!! Btw, for anyone that cares, my Chihuahua came from this hillbillie's farm. No doubt I rescued him from that midget's sharp teeth. Anyway, this is what that guy sounds like:

The Caribbean, huh? You can REALLY forget that 80's thing. Add 100% humidity to your 98 degrees too. You can sweat out beer faster than you can drink it.

05-01-2015, 10:47 PM
2 reasons

There are more Catholics in New England. So preachers feel the need to preach against them more. Seems silly to me, but I was taught differently.

More liberals in New England. Obviously less tolerant

Voted4Reagan
05-03-2015, 10:54 AM

we have a picture of Jeff's Tattoo.....

https://s.yimg.com/fz/api/res/1.2/NVdMzFbBcwUmgUIzgrRIyQ--/YXBwaWQ9c3JjaGRkO2g9NTk0O3E9OTU7dz02OTE-/http://www.tattoocanyon.com/tattoo-pictures/11/evil-care-bear-tattoo-artistsorg-11067.jpg

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-03-2015, 12:03 PM

Once Jerry realized I wasn't trying to take over the south we became friend and twice a year now we get together and go to the rodeo, that doesn't sound like much but Jerry is a farmer and for a farmer to get time away fro the farm is few and far between, so being as he spends two nights with me, well that is saying a lot.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.....

"so being as he spends two nights with me"
Bro', they say confession is good for the soul but methinks you just went a bridge too far! --:laugh::laugh::laugh:-Tyr

Jeff
05-03-2015, 05:27 PM

Naa the Teddy Bear is sitting on a cloud with a rainbow behind it, it is in memory of my oldest son, we lost him when he was just 2 days old.

jimnyc
05-03-2015, 05:56 PM
Naa the Teddy Bear is sitting on a cloud with a rainbow behind it, it is in memory of my oldest son, we lost him when he was just 2 days old.

I'm an asshole. I didn't mean to make light of the tattoo. I remember kinda what it looks like, but thought it had Laura's name and the boys near it. Now that you say this I remember very clearly. I done put my smelly foot in my mouth. Sorry about that man, no offense was meant. :(

Jeff
05-03-2015, 06:03 PM
I'm an asshole. I didn't mean to make light of the tattoo. I remember kinda what it looks like, but thought it had Laura's name and the boys near it. Now that you say this I remember very clearly. I done put my smelly foot in my mouth. Sorry about that man, no offense was meant. :(

It's all cool Jim, I actually just took a picture and am going to down load it, lets face it Jim, Jeffrey know his old man is a bit shot out. :laugh:

Jeff
05-03-2015, 06:08 PM
My Teddy bear Tattoo

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7159&stc=1

jimnyc
05-03-2015, 06:10 PM
It's all cool Jim, I actually just took a picture and am going to down load it, lets face it Jim, Jeffrey know his old man is a bit shot out. :laugh:

I get them all confused. You do have the boys too, right? And Laura, I think? Or am I remembering another arm? LOL I think my brain may have reached it's full capacity and some things are falling out and being forgotten. :laugh:

jimnyc
05-03-2015, 06:11 PM
Yeah, I remember now. I don't remember the skull, but of course the rainbow and the bear.

Jeff
05-03-2015, 06:28 PM
Yeah, I remember now. I don't remember the skull, but of course the rainbow and the bear.

The skull is new and was done by the owner of the Tattoo shop I go to, as you can see he has never done tattoo's but was doing them for free ( yup that is how you learn ) and he is one of those guys that no matter what he does he succeeds at it, so I figure if he decides he likes tattooing some day he will be a great tattooist and I will have one of the first he has ever done. That is the Harley skull, which actually doesn't look bad, all except the scar he put in it. :laugh:

Gunny
05-05-2015, 12:50 PM
My Teddy bear Tattoo

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7159&stc=1

What girl's forearms did they put that picture on?:laugh:

Abbey Marie
05-15-2015, 10:45 AM

Lol @ 5x5

Gunny
05-15-2015, 03:03 PM

BTW ... finally played the vid. Understood every word. :laugh:

Abbey Marie
05-15-2015, 06:32 PM
You're old. :laugh:

Haha, you have to be old too, to get that.

i'll go with "wise', lol.

Abbey Marie
05-15-2015, 06:35 PM

I'm so sorry, Jeff. I had no idea. :(