PDA

View Full Version : Hmm, it May Be Neglect To Send Your Kids To Public School

Kathianne
04-29-2015, 10:22 PM
Seriously, between the sexual abuse and the usurpation of parental choices, it's out of hand:

http://wnep.com/2015/04/28/mom-says-school-wouldnt-let-daughter-finish-lunch-because-it-was-not-nutritious/

AURORA, Colo. — A Colorado mother is upset after a teacher at her daughter’s preschool wouldn’t allow the girl to finish her lunch because it wasn’t nutritious.Leeza Pearson told KUSA that she packed her daughter a sandwich (http://www.9news.com/story/news/local/2015/04/28/preschool-lunch-criteria-under-investigation/26494717/), string cheese and a four-pack of Oreos.

The Oreos were still in the child’s lunchbox, along with a note, which read:

Dear Parents, it is very important that all students have a nutritious lunch. This is a public school setting and all children are required to have a fruit, a vegetable and a healthy snack from home, along with a milk. If they have potatoes, the child will also need bread to go along with it. Lunchables, chips, fruit snacks, and peanut butter are not considered to be a healthy snack. This is a very important part of our program and we need everyone’s participation.

The director of Children’s Academy told KUSA that it’s not school policy to tell parents what their children can or can’t eat.
The school is now investigating.

Now I'm not arguing that the lunch was, but the teacher has no idea what is going on in that home. Not to mention it's none of her/his business. Many times parents just look in the fridge and cupboard, to see what they can send that will 'fill them up' because they'll eat it!

I was glad the director stated it's not school policy, which is better than many of the stories I've seen.

I have no problem with schools sending home notes or newsletters that contain information on nutrition, better yet some ideas with age appropriate suggestions for a low cost, balanced lunch.

Voted4Reagan
04-30-2015, 03:55 AM
The Nanny State run amok....

sundaydriver
04-30-2015, 05:40 AM
Whatever is happening to my fond memories of being served cookies & milk, rolling out our little mats, and falling asleep to the teacher reading us a story in a public school?

Jeff
04-30-2015, 06:14 AM
Seems I would have to have a meeting with the teacher and nicely explain when she/he starts buying the groceries around my house then they may decided what my kids will eat until then, Mind your own dam business!!

Kathianne
04-30-2015, 06:41 AM
Seems I would have to have a meeting with the teacher and nicely explain when she/he starts buying the groceries around my house then they may decided what my kids will eat until then, Mind your own dam business!!

Isn't that just the point behind the 'free lunches, breakfasts?'

Jeff
04-30-2015, 06:57 AM
Isn't that just the point behind the 'free lunches, breakfasts?'

My kids talk about these free breakfast all the time and get this, they complain that they get a biscuit with nothing on it for breakfast or a Honey bun ( yes the kind you can buy at and convenience store for 75 cents except it is half the size ) My issue here is how are either of them healthy for you ?

As far as lunch goes I have been there for a special Thanksgiving luncheon ( parents are invited ) where as they served deli meet turkey over something that looked like stuffing with white gravy over top ( to me white grave is nothing more than flour added to grease ) along with a teaspoon full of cranberry sauce and a ice cream cup, you guessed it everything went in the trash except the ice cream. Unless the Mooch is just trying to get kids just to lose weight ( they refuse to eat the trash they get ) she is doing nothing but wasting money.

While I was there I ran into a buddies ol lady ( she has been working in the lunch room forever ) so I asked her for salt and pepper and she told me they weren't allowed to give any out. :laugh: So I asked her if the kids where telling me the truth when they tell me for example, if they have a hamburger for lunch the pack of Ketchup ( yes one pack per customer ) is considered a vegitable, and she answered yes, after that I really didn't hear anything else she had to say.

Kathianne
04-30-2015, 07:13 AM
My kids talk about these free breakfast all the time and get this, they complain that they get a biscuit with nothing on it for breakfast or a Honey bun ( yes the kind you can buy at and convenience store for 75 cents except it is half the size ) My issue here is how are either of them healthy for you ?

As far as lunch goes I have been there for a special Thanksgiving luncheon ( parents are invited ) where as they served deli meet turkey over something that looked like stuffing with white gravy over top ( to me white grave is nothing more than flour added to grease ) along with a teaspoon full of cranberry sauce and a ice cream cup, you guessed it everything went in the trash except the ice cream. Unless the Mooch is just trying to get kids just to lose weight ( they refuse to eat the trash they get ) she is doing nothing but wasting money.

While I was there I ran into a buddies ol lady ( she has been working in the lunch room forever ) so I asked her for salt and pepper and she told me they weren't allowed to give any out. :laugh: So I asked her if the kids where telling me the truth when they tell me for example, if they have a hamburger for lunch the pack of Ketchup ( yes one pack per customer ) is considered a vegitable, and she answered yes, after that I really didn't hear anything else she had to say.

Oh, school lunches are legendary for being inedible! Truly.

My point was in the 'when you buy groceries...' THAT is how the government is trying to take over parental role.

There were times my kids could have qualified for 'free lunch,' when requirements were more strict. Never happened. For some reason keeping food in the house was a priority. :rolleyes: The most 'expensive' part was buying the right things to keep hot foods 'hot' and cold foods 'cold.' Three kids, three sets, at the same time as paying for new shoes, clothes, books, supplies and registering for school. Yeah, I don't miss those Augusts any. :laugh:

Jeff
04-30-2015, 07:24 AM

My point was in the 'when you buy groceries...' THAT is how the government is trying to take over parental role.

There were times my kids could have qualified for 'free lunch,' when requirements were more strict. Never happened. For some reason keeping food in the house was a priority. :rolleyes: The most 'expensive' part was buying the right things to keep hot foods 'hot' and cold foods 'cold.' Three kids, three sets, at the same time as paying for new shoes, clothes, books, supplies and registering for school. Yeah, I don't miss those Augusts any. :laugh:

:laugh::laugh: I have two teenagers at home so yes food in the house is a must, my God do these kids eat and neither is over weight. They tell me they don't eat all day at school, they refuse to bring a lunch and have money to buy but say the food is so nasty they would rather do without. Up until this year they had vending machines in the halls and would get a pack of cookies or a bag of chips ( which I wasn't happy about but I figured they where eating it along with lunch ) now I find out the food they are serving , well lets say even the dog wouldn't eat it. :laugh:

Kathianne
04-30-2015, 07:36 AM
:laugh::laugh: I have two teenagers at home so yes food in the house is a must, my God do these kids eat and neither is over weight. They tell me they don't eat all day at school, they refuse to bring a lunch and have money to buy but say the food is so nasty they would rather do without. Up until this year they had vending machines in the halls and would get a pack of cookies or a bag of chips ( which I wasn't happy about but I figured they where eating it along with lunch ) now I find out the food they are serving , well lets say even the dog wouldn't eat it. :laugh:

When I was in school, we wouldn't bring lunch to school either, at least not in middle or high school. By the time my kids went though, that seemed to have changed, at least at their school. They'd buy an occassional 'pizza lunch,' but for the most part they chose to bring their lunches, as did most of their friends. Even as seniors, when they could leave campus for lunch, they normally chose to make them. If they did go out, they chose Chipoltes or Subway. For the most part, they chose 'healthy' and tasty over processed. While 'snacks' were never forbidden, nor was pop, in the main they were brought out when friends came over-they were 'treats.' By the end of high school, none of my kids would touch pop, still don't.

Kathianne
04-30-2015, 07:37 AM
When I was in school, we wouldn't bring lunch to school either, at least not in middle or high school. By the time my kids went though, that seemed to have changed, at least at their school. They'd buy an occassional 'pizza lunch,' but for the most part they chose to bring their lunches, as did most of their friends. Even as seniors, when they could leave campus for lunch, they normally chose to make them. If they did go out, they chose Chipoltes or Subway. For the most part, they chose 'healthy' and tasty over processed. While 'snacks' were never forbidden, nor was pop, in the main they were brought out when friends came over-they were 'treats.' By the end of high school, none of my kids would touch pop, still don't.

Got to fess up to a memory, still holds for both boys, now 29 and 31. They ate tons of cereal, sugared or not. They ate it in the morning and for 'snacks' any old time. With or without milk. Damn that was expensive! LOL!

Voted4Reagan
04-30-2015, 08:08 PM
2 dozen eggs - $5.00
1gallon Orange Juice - $5.00
Bacon- 2lbs - $7.00 (40 slices)
English Muffins - 24 for $7.00

I will feed 24 kids a balanced breakfast for...... about a Dollar a kid.

they can stick the honeybun where the Sunny Buns dont shine.... :laugh:

jimnyc
04-30-2015, 08:16 PM
I had a PB&J in a brown bag most of the time, or maybe a baloney sandwich. Some sort of snack, which was junk of course, and sometimes nothing. Drink was a crappy juice box or a crappy little 20c carton of milk at school. And we didn't care, nor did the teachers. All was good. Friends shared some stuff. Some bought some extras. Never heard of any of these stupid issues. While the school fed stuff wasn't always so great, there were certainly ample portions, and you could have eaten 2lbs of candy with it and no one would have cared! :)

Gunny
04-30-2015, 08:20 PM

We had good school lunches in San Antonio. California, not so much.