PDA

View Full Version : Hmm, Kochs Funding Aid To 'Immigrants'

Kathianne
05-01-2015, 09:29 AM
I understand this attempt to counter the flood, but it's illustrative of GOP being a differing form of 'big government.' Just pick of the two 'parties' you most agree with:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/conservatives-including-the-koch-brothers-go-after-the-latino-vote/2015/04/30/10732074-101e-4845-936b-77ccd3c45cd2_story.html

Billionaire Koch brothers make push to court Latinos, alarming many Democrats

By Mary Jordan (http://www.washingtonpost.com/people/mary-jordan) and Ed O'Keefe (http://www.washingtonpost.com/people/ed-okeefe)April 30 at 10:52 AM

LAS VEGAS — For Republicans, the road to warming the hearts and winning the votes of Latinos may begin at a Las Vegas flea market.

On a recent morning, inside the Eastern Indoor Swapmeet Las Vegas, a group funded by the billionaire Koch brothers helped 250 Latinos — some of them illegal immigrants — pass the Nevada driver’s test.

The LIBRE Initiative, an expanding grass-roots organization now operating in nine states, organized the four-hour test prep session to teach the rules of the road in Spanish — no tome y maneje (no drinking and driving), el límite de velocidad es sesenta y cinco millas por hora (the speed limit is 65 miles per hour).

Paula Hernandez, 46, an undocumented restaurant supervisor from Mexico, was one of those sitting on folded chairs, listening. She has worked in the United States for 25 years and gave birth to three children here. She has never heard of the Koch brothers or LIBRE but said the free classes were a “great help,” particularly because nobody else is lending her a hand. “President Obama promised to do more for us, and it just didn’t happen,” she said.

To Republicans, that sounds like an opportunity — even though the Koch brothers and their conservative allies spend a great deal of their money supporting Republican candidates who oppose citizenship for illegal immigrants.

In addition to driver’s license classes, LIBRE has started offering Latinos tax preparation help, wellness checkups, scholarships and food giveaways in Texas, Colorado, Florida and other states. It has bought ads touting the “free market,” smaller government and school choice, and its officials are a growing presence on Spanish-language news stations talking about the virtues of “self-reliance.”

By providing tax prep and driving classes, they are building good will in the Latino community and what they call a “platform for civic engagement.” LIBRE officials take pains to say they are advocating policies, not specific candidates.

Garza said his group is focused on explaining conservative views. For instance, they talk about how a higher minimum wage might not be in the best interest of Latinos because they believe it will hurt businesses and that there are less expensive ways for young Latinos to get health insurance than Obama’s contentious health plan. Garza also said LIBRE advocates are getting millions of undocumented workers “out of the shadows” and into the legal system.

The LIBRE effort, which backers plan to expand into more presidential battleground states over the next several months, has alarmed many Democrats.

“They are making friends and trying to convince you that the Democratic agenda is bad,” said Matt Barreto, co-founder of the research and polling firm Latino Decisions. He said the group hands out ideological material, collects names, e-mails and phone numbers, and is “laying the foundation for Republican candidates to emphasize the same messages.”
Barreto says those behind LIBRE are “playing the long game” and don’t really have to win Republican votes, but rather raise doubts about Democrats to suppress support for them.

Gunny
05-01-2015, 12:09 PM
Look at the black community though. A complete Democratic failure as a whole. BUT, blacks STILL vote Democrat because they apparently like to sit and wait 50+ years for empty promises.

Neither side wants to alienate the Latino vote. The GOP needs to make sure this amnesty crap doesn't go through under Obama or they're screwed. A suddenly legal block of voters grateful to Obama. Never mind amnesty is a stupid plan.

Trigg
05-01-2015, 02:19 PM
Latino's don't vote as a block, like American Blacks.

They're just as much of a varied population as the white vote. Yes, right now they lean dem, but I think they will get to the point where their vote is split down the middle.

Gunny
05-01-2015, 02:42 PM
Latino's don't vote as a block, like American Blacks.

They're just as much of a varied population as the white vote. Yes, right now they lean dem, but I think they will get to the point where their vote is split down the middle.

I've lived with them all my life. The illegals and those that support illegals will vote as a block.

Kathianne
08-04-2015, 10:07 AM
The more I read on Charles Koch, the more I think he may save the GOP:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/charles-kochs-focus-on-injustices-fueled-by-an-unlikely-partnership/2015/08/03/0798ea7c-3a00-11e5-9c2d-ed991d848c48_story.html?tid=sm_tw

Charles Koch’s focus on ‘injustices’ is fueled by an unlikely partnership By Matea Gold (http://www.washingtonpost.com/people/matea-gold)August 3 at 8:59 PM

DANA POINT, Calif. — Last month, billionaire industrialist and conservative donor Charles Koch was meeting in his Wichita office with Michael Lomax, president of the United Negro College Fund, when the conversation turned to the recent church massacre in Charleston, S.C.

“The reaction of the people in that community, I mean, blew me away,” Koch recounted Monday in a rare interview with The Washington Post. “I said, ‘These people are a lot better than I am.’ Forgive this guy? I mean, it’s so monstrous what he did. It just shook me.”

That July meeting helps illustrate why Koch invoked the memory of movements such as the fight for civil rights during a weekend speech to conservative donors here, comparing those struggles to efforts to roll back government regulations.

It drew mockery on the left, but the comparison, along with Koch’s frequent references to “injustices,” shows how he is drawing from his unlikely partnership with Lomax. The theme of helping the disenfranchised dominated the weekend gathering, part of a larger effort by the Koch political network to cast off its image as an operation driven by mega-donors.

“We have found a way of working together,” said Lomax, who joined in the interview with Koch. “And we’re going to influence each other, because we are going to talk.”

Their relationship is viewed with deep skepticism among many liberal leaders, who accused the college fund president of betraying his principles last year when he accepted $25 million from Koch Industries and the Charles Koch Foundation. The American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees ended its scholarship (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lee-a-saunders/a-principle-is-a-terrible-thing-to-waste_b_5571970.html) program with the college fund after Lomax attended a Koch donor meeting.

In Monday’s interview, Lomax rejected the idea that he had compromised by taking Koch’s money. “We have never imposed a litmus test or a political lens on our relationships,” Lomax said.

In the wide-ranging joint interview, the two men discussed what they described as a deepening friendship and what they are learning from one another, shrugging off critics who view their partnership as one that is based on mutual benefits. The conversation took place in Koch’s private suite at the St. Regis Monarch Beach, where he greeted Lomax as “my buddy” when the college fund president arrived at the door.