PDA

View Full Version : Social Media

Gunny
05-01-2015, 12:19 PM
It has become more and more apparent that social media has had a LOT to do with sensationalizing and fueling the fires in Baltimore and Ferguson. It's getting old. I know what it is, but have never participated in it. Message boards are as far as I get.

What these rabble rousers are doing is setting the stage for government censorship.

Complaints that social media and the MSM have made these last two situations worse have already been made. And I can't say I disagree. Social media stirs these people up and the MSM gives them a national platform to bitch.

Noir
05-01-2015, 12:49 PM
What these rabble rousers are doing is setting the stage for government censorship.

Goodluck to the US gov getting this through the 1st amendment.

aboutime
05-01-2015, 01:21 PM
Since Jim is the OWNER/OPERATOR of Debatepolicy. He should be far more concerned over the attempts of Congress, and Obama to SHUT DOWN (in several ways) the Internet...namely THE FREEDOM OF SPEECH and our 1ST Amendment with the FCC rulings that are slowing destroying the 1st amendment, and intended to CEASE all discussions, or places where WE THE PEOPLE can speak our minds about Government...and Obama.

If they get control of WHAT WE SAY....Jim, and millions of others like us on the Internet WILL BE SILENCED.

Social Media is controlled by FRIENDS of the Government (Obama).
Guess where they will FIRST begin to take away our FREEDOMS?

Imagine millions of young people who haven't learned how to write...being blocked out of TEXTING?

It's only gonna get worse. But nobody is willing to accept such warnings because they THINK "It can't happen."

Gunny
05-01-2015, 01:23 PM

You misjudge the US Government. They got the Patriot Act and NSA wiretaps through. How do you think the social media connections between Ferguson and Baltimore by the professional protestors got caught?

Gunny
05-01-2015, 01:29 PM
Since Jim is the OWNER/OPERATOR of Debatepolicy. He should be far more concerned over the attempts of Congress, and Obama to SHUT DOWN (in several ways) the Internet...namely THE FREEDOM OF SPEECH and our 1ST Amendment with the FCC rulings that are slowing destroying the 1st amendment, and intended to CEASE all discussions, or places where WE THE PEOPLE can speak our minds about Government...and Obama.

If they get control of WHAT WE SAY....Jim, and millions of others like us on the Internet WILL BE SILENCED.

Social Media is controlled by FRIENDS of the Government (Obama).
Guess where they will FIRST begin to take away our FREEDOMS?

Imagine millions of young people who haven't learned how to write...being blocked out of TEXTING?

It's only gonna get worse. But nobody is willing to accept such warnings because they THINK "It can't happen."

It isn't texting. It's Facebook and Twitter and junk like that. If cell phones were mainstream when my daughter was coming up, she'd have a pay-by-month phone with everything blocked but my number, her mom's, and 911.

She's all over that social media crap now, but she's also 30 years old. We didn't even have a computer until she was in her mid-late teens.

I think this is fine for people who are mature enough to use it. I can't see raising kids on it. Geez, we had Tootsie Toy and Matchbox cars and toy soldiers and a stack of comic books when I was a kid. Not to mention baseballs, footballs and bicycles. The phone hung on the kitchen wall.

fj1200
05-04-2015, 11:37 AM
You misjudge the US Government. They got the Patriot Act and NSA wiretaps through. How do you think the social media connections between Ferguson and Baltimore by the professional protestors got caught?

But those don't inhibit freedom of speech. At least not directly. And it doesn't take a warrant for Twitter to track IP addresses.

Perianne
05-04-2015, 11:48 AM
Message boards are social media. But I am like you, Gunny, I don't participate in Twitter, Facebook, etc.

Nukeman
05-04-2015, 12:07 PM
Ever hear the lovely term "Net Neutrality" Not going to be hard at all to censor what they don't want you to see..... It already happens by steerage to certain sites and information... They call it search engines!?!?!?!:cheers2:

Gunny
05-04-2015, 01:33 PM
But those don't inhibit freedom of speech. At least not directly. And it doesn't take a warrant for Twitter to track IP addresses.

Political correctness inhibits free speech. It's just not that far of a stretch. AND ... I DO see it as a threat when it gets a mall looted.

fj1200
05-04-2015, 04:10 PM
Political correctness inhibits free speech. It's just not that far of a stretch. AND ... I DO see it as a threat when it gets a mall looted.

True, but PC isn't necessarily government action. And those who incite via social media should/would be subject to prosecution on some level. The problem being linking them to the instigation.

Bilgerat
05-05-2015, 07:09 AM
https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/s960x960/11054827_10152750299146781_3120803843636623541_o.j pg

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-05-2015, 08:08 AM
Message boards are social media. But I am like you, Gunny, I don't participate in Twitter, Facebook, etc.

Never used twitter, only used facebutt a couple times and that because my daughter asked me to do so. I do use email but sometimes do not even check it but once every week or even every two weeks.
I NEVER TEXT---NEVER ... and thats because I think , say it to me on the phone so I can reply right then, with verbal exchanges made with the other party!
I like my dinosaur cell phone.
My wife laughs at it , saying -"all you can do with that is talk". I reply, "yes what its designed for, if I want to use a computer I have one at home , I can wait--patience is a virtue."

Myself, simply have not the time to gossip on all these modern day devices that are teaching people to try to be in everybody else's business!!!
Yes, I am a damn dinosaur but I am a T-Rex... and thats makes a huge difference. - :laugh:-Tyr

Gunny
05-05-2015, 08:44 AM
True, but PC isn't necessarily government action. And those who incite via social media should/would be subject to prosecution on some level. The problem being linking them to the instigation.

You think not? As Trent Lott and/or Newt Gingrich.

Nukeman
05-05-2015, 09:47 AM
Its funny you posted this and the very next day we have this story....

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/rudy-takala/fcc-commissioner-feds-may-come-drudge

Federal Communications Commission (FCC) member Ajit Pai said over the weekend that he foresees a future in which federal regulators will seek to regulate websites based on political content, using the power of the FCC or Federal Elections Commission (FEC). He also revealed that his opposition to “net neutrality” regulations had resulted in personal harassment and threats to his family.
Speaking on a panel at the annual “Right Online” conference in Washington, D.C., on Saturday, Pai told audience members, “I can tell you it has not been an easy couple of months personally. My address has been publicly released. My wife’s name, my kids’ names, my kids’ birthdays, my phone number, all kinds of threats [have come] online.”

So because he a public figure was being scrutinized by the **gasp*** public he being a position of power wants to shut down that access.. There you Nior your getting by the 1st amend.....

jimnyc
05-05-2015, 10:30 AM
Its funny you posted this and the very next day we have this story....

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/rudy-takala/fcc-commissioner-feds-may-come-drudge

So because he a public figure was being scrutinized by the **gasp*** public he being a position of power wants to shut down that access.. There you Nior your getting by the 1st amend.....

Fuckers ain't getting or regulating my site! I'll get it re-registered in another name and have it hosted out of Sweden, or the Netherlands, or wherever it is that don't give a crap about our laws in such matters. :)

fj1200
05-06-2015, 12:31 PM
You think not? As Trent Lott and/or Newt Gingrich.

Not necessarily. Annoying college kids being PC? Not government action. Laws telling you to bake a gay cake? Government action.

Perianne
05-06-2015, 09:28 PM
Interesting social media article.

Some people get so obsessed with socialhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png (http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/05/05/social-media-obsession-costing-some-people-their-marriage/#) media, it can cost them their marriage. Divorce because of Facebook, or Twitter is a growing problem....

A growing number of divorcing spouses blame social media for playing a part in their divorce. A survey by Censuswide suggests its one divorce in seven.
“That soundshttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png (http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/05/05/social-media-obsession-costing-some-people-their-marriage/#) very low to me to be honest,” said divorce lawyer Christine Svenson. “The social media seems to crop up in at least half of my divorce cases.”

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/05/05/social-media-obsession-costing-some-people-their-marriage/

Jeff
05-07-2015, 06:36 AM
Interesting social media article.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/05/05/social-media-obsession-costing-some-people-their-marriage/

I personally know a few couples where FB hurt their marriage, one did wind up divorced. Seems social media has taken off and it gives folks that don't have the time to go socialize a feeling of doing so.

I once posted on FB ( to piss off the wife ) " well looks like I will be single again " within 10 minutes I received 2 phone calls asking when we had split :laugh: and I had 5 different private messages from woman on my friends list asking me to come visit. :laugh: One I talk to each day and she still asks me to come take her for a ride on the scooter, apparently her husband is a ass. ( at least that is her story )