PDA

View Full Version : Government On The Take

indago
05-03-2015, 03:23 PM
Journalist Shaila Dewan wrote for The New York Times 30 April 2015:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lyndon McLellan, the owner of a convenience store in rural Fairmont, N.C., where catfish sandwiches go for $2.75, is still trying to recover the $107,702.66 — his entire business bank account — that was seized by the I.R.S. last summer. Under the increasingly unpopular practice of civil forfeiture, law enforcement agents can seize property suspected of having ties to crime, even if no charges are filed — and then begin forfeiture proceedings, in which the burden of proof is on the owner. Often the cost of fighting such a seizure is greater than the value of the assets seized, and law enforcement agencies get to keep forfeiture proceeds. Such a windfall, critics say, creates perverse incentives, and the lack of due process runs counter to the central tenets of the American justice system.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

article (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/01/us/politics/rules-change-on-irs-seizures-too-late-for-some.html?ref=todayspaper)

Gunny
05-03-2015, 05:01 PM
Lyndon McLellan, the owner of a convenience store in rural Fairmont, N.C., where catfish sandwiches go for $2.75, is still trying to recover the $107,702.66 — his entire business bank account — that was seized by the I.R.S. last summer. Under the increasingly unpopular practice of civil forfeiture, law enforcement agents can seize property suspected of having ties to crime, even if no charges are filed — and then begin forfeiture proceedings, in which the burden of proof is on the owner. Often the cost of fighting such a seizure is greater than the value of the assets seized, and law enforcement agencies get to keep forfeiture proceeds. Such a windfall, critics say, creates perverse incentives, and the lack of due process runs counter to the central tenets of the American justice system.

article (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/01/us/politics/rules-change-on-irs-seizures-too-late-for-some.html?ref=todayspaper)

Here's a GREAT idea. You are obviously disfunctional, as well as dissatisfied with this country. Move. Leave. Adios. Don't let the door hit ya' where the good Lord split ya'.

WiccanLiberal
05-03-2015, 06:21 PM
It seems to me that the IRS should be held to the doctrine of habeas corpus. They haven't charged the man with anything yet they intend to keep his money?

jimnyc
05-03-2015, 06:29 PM
I don't have a problem with the government using certain deterrents, up to an including confiscating money from criminals. But they should have a VERY high burden in order to take these things and keep them. They shouldn't just be able to ruin someone on a whim. There should be oversight via the courts somehow. I've heard of people getting busted for a small amount of dealing, only to have their vehicles, cash and home confiscated. In order to do something such as that, they should have to have ironclad proof that everything taken was purchased with 'criminal money'.

But it is still funny to see stuff like this:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4151/5025281869_e06f5346e6_z.jpg

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/kelownadailycourier.ca/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/2/1a/21ae9a60-08ba-11e4-b9f5-0017a43b2370/53bf72b997d34.image.jpg

LongTermGuy
05-03-2015, 06:35 PM
`....This is not the regular gov. or the same IRS.....leftist implants everywhere....From the last / Past.... elections...many Conservatives understand this.

aboutime
05-03-2015, 06:52 PM
One answer to this entire thread. Remember WHO is living in the White House, and WHO he has doing all of his ILLEGAL bidding in the Justice Department, and every Law Enforcement Department.

When you accept WHO those people are in GOVERNMENT ON THE TAKE (as mentioned above). That should answer any questions.

indago
05-03-2015, 10:41 PM
Here's a GREAT idea. You are obviously disfunctional, as well as dissatisfied with this country. Move. Leave. Adios. Don't let the door hit ya' where the good Lord split ya'.

And just how would that help Mr. McLellan resolve his issue with Government On The Take?

indago
05-14-2015, 07:49 AM
From The New York Times 13 May 2015:
-------------------------------------------------------------
Federal prosecutors agreed Wednesday to return more than $100,000 that was seized from a rural convenience store owner even though the owner, Lyndon McLellan, was not accused of a crime.

...The prosecutor in Mr. McLellan’s case had expressed displeasure that Congress had been given sealed court filings and offered him a settlement of half his money. Last week, the Justice Department said it would investigate two other prosecutors after one business owner whose assets were seized said he had been punished more harshly after publicizing his case and another said he had been threatened with a felony charge if he did not agree to give up some of his money.
-------------------------------------------------------------

article (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/14/us/north-carolina-more-seized-assets-to-be-returned.html?ref=todayspaper&_r=0)

Little more is to be expected when you have a GOVERNMENT ON THE TAKE

Gunny
05-14-2015, 09:27 AM
And just how would that help Mr. McLellan resolve his issue with Government On The Take?

Dude, other than the fact you're just obnoxious, I probably hate the government and its NAZI-ass crap more than you. I'd trash the entire thing that's forgotten where it came from and start over with the Bill of Rights.

The problem is all of your POVs are one-sided.

indago
05-14-2015, 01:30 PM
Dude, other than the fact you're just obnoxious, I probably hate the government and its NAZI-ass crap more than you. I'd trash the entire thing that's forgotten where it came from and start over with the Bill of Rights.

Well, I'll just chalk that up as another snivel...

Gunny
05-14-2015, 01:35 PM
Well, I'll just chalk that up as another snivel...

You obviously don't me. But you DO sound like my idiot brother. I can completely agree with him about something and he'll completely change sides just to be a disagreeable f*ck.

You fit the profile.

indago
05-15-2015, 07:00 AM

If a "POV" was two-sided, it would be two points of view...

Gunny
05-15-2015, 07:03 AM
If a "POV" was two-sided, it would be two points of view...

Nope. An objective person can look at both sides of an argument before cutting and pasting some wrote shit from the media that supports a one-sided view.

indago
05-15-2015, 07:06 AM
Nope. An objective person can look at both sides of an argument before cutting and pasting some wrote shit from the media that supports a one-sided view.

I don't make a habit of arguing with myself...

Gunny
05-15-2015, 07:37 AM

You also have a habit of no original thought, Mr Cut n Paste.

aboutime
05-15-2015, 07:31 PM

Could'a fooled all of us. Most of us recognize such behavior indago. Excuses never will work for you.

Jeff
05-16-2015, 06:45 AM

Bro it is easy to see you aren't happy here in the states, why not pack up and move to one of those wonderful third world nations, there I bet the cops are fair, the government is fair and so on, of course if ya don't starve to death you will be able to enjoy it, but don't enjoy it to much because in a lot of these good countries that are so fair if you have to much fun then they just Lapp your head off, sounds like a good trade of to me, the government won't take bribes ( well it's not bribes they take, they just take what ever the hell they want ) and all you have to do is worship everything they say to stay alive. Good luck with that.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-16-2015, 06:53 AM
It seems to me that the IRS should be held to the doctrine of habeas corpus. They haven't charged the man with anything yet they intend to keep his money?
Remember, this is the agency the obama put in charge of enforcing bamcare payments/fines etc...
Nothing has ever been legal(Constitutional) about the IRS.
Nothing could be more unconstitutional that forfeiture of property/wealth without having been charged and convicted.
Doing that just throws --innocent until proven guilty---- completely out of the window and then going down to ground level to stomp on it more!-Tyr

indago
05-16-2015, 07:03 AM
You also have a habit of no original thought, Mr Cut n Paste.

Oh stop Whining'nSniveling; you're acting like a little kid:

"Mommy! Mommy! The bad man won't do what I want him to do!"

indago
05-16-2015, 07:06 AM
Bro it is easy to see you aren't happy here in the states, why not pack up and move to one of those wonderful third world nations, there I bet the cops are fair, the government is fair and so on, of course if ya don't starve to death you will be able to enjoy it, but don't enjoy it to much because in a lot of these good countries that are so fair if you have to much fun then they just Lapp your head off, sounds like a good trade of to me, the government won't take bribes ( well it's not bribes they take, they just take what ever the hell they want ) and all you have to do is worship everything they say to stay alive. Good luck with that.

Posted (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?49550-Government-On-The-Take&p=733610#post733610)

indago
05-19-2015, 05:40 AM
No Answer (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?49550-Government-On-The-Take&p=735487#post735487)

What's the matter? No Answer, or was that just a knee-jerk response from a LoInfo like Gunny?

No Answer (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?49550-Government-On-The-Take&p=733610#post733610)

aboutime
05-19-2015, 05:04 PM
Indago. Since we have been unsuccessful in seeing Obama's actual Birth Certificate.
Perhaps you can do us the Honor, and Pleasure of presenting YOUR 'Pre-School' Graduation certificate...in the next few weeks..IF YOU GRADUATE, and IF, your Pre-school teacher will allow you to use the Class PC.
Ya know? The one you do all of your Daily CUTTING & PASTING from here?