PDA

View Full Version : Bad to the Bone

Perianne
05-05-2015, 04:30 PM
On this forum I have no doubt there are some tough guys. Tyr, Gunny, probably Jeff, and others. FWIW, I have always liked the bad boys. My deceased husband (RIP) was as tough as nails. 5'11", 220 pounds of pure muscle and not afraid to use it.

Who it the toughest person you have ever met?

WiccanLiberal
05-05-2015, 05:11 PM
Without doubt, my father. A true member of the Greatest Generation. He was one of 8 children, the son of a man with a sixth grade education who worked steel. My father left school to join the Navy. He got his GED in the service. He survived the war in the Pacific including kamikazi attacks. He was present at the surrender of the Japanese in Tokyo Bay on a destroyer called the Ault. He served in Korea and was shelled from shore batteries. He remained on active duty for 20 years and reserves for 20 more. He raised three children ( I modestly think he did a good job there) and lived his life with a quiet morality and rectitude that demanded respect. He faced his death with the same quiet dignity he lived his life. I am not sure how other people define tough but I believe that dealing with life as well as he did defines it for me.

sundaydriver
05-05-2015, 05:39 PM
I think my Dad knows your Dad. Pacific Marine recalled for Korea, raised 4 kid's, and is the "rock" that the family and many others still depend on even at 91. Never talked tough or praised himself in any way except for the only war story he ever told me. He told me how scared he was when his troopship was caught in a typhoon and although he threw up for 20 hours before they were sure the ship wouldn't capsize, he didn't cry.

Any man that can drive 60 miles round trip to participate in a 3-5 hour meetings to represent his township on a Sewer Authority board for for $20 has gotta be tough.

Gunny
05-05-2015, 05:51 PM
On this forum I have no doubt there are some tough guys. Tyr, Gunny, probably Jeff, and others. FWIW, I have always liked the bad boys. My deceased husband (RIP) was as tough as nails. 5'11", 220 pounds of pure muscle and not afraid to use it.

A girl. Only fight I ever lost. She rubbed my nose in the sandbox at the playground. She was a 5th grader and I was a 1st grader. Taught me to keep my mouth shut.:laugh:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-05-2015, 06:11 PM

My father, grandfather , older brother and two friends both former military, one was a badass Korean war vet a Marine, the other a badass Army Vietnam war veteran.
As a club bouncer and my time hanging out with truly bad men I met a lot more badass fighters but those first listed could have taken any of those.
Notice that I did not rank myself above any of those first five!
That my friend, is true and very sincere RESPECT!!!--Tyr

sundaydriver
05-05-2015, 06:15 PM

In this context it would be hands down Billy Garrett.

My ill spent youth was at the "cue Lounge" a pool hall run by Micky "the Red" Ancillaca, an associate of the Russel Buffalino Crime Family. Who had Jimmy Hoffa whacked? Most Law Enforcement point the finger at Russell. But anyway, Mickey handled all the local book making for the area and including all illegal gambling machines in Pennsylvania. Dealing with the Authorities at times was expected. We as kid's were always warned away when the occasional Police raid or trouble was expected.

Mickey reported to Billy Garrett, a "Made Man" in the family. Billy would show every few weeks or so, well dressed, quite spoken, a well built man in his early 50's, respectful to all in public. The respect was returned with reverence and fear as this man with a quick look told you that this man was smart, capable, and would kill, dismembered, and completely disappear if you crossed him or his Masters. Even the 2 crazy Viet Nam Combat Vets that were always looking for trouble were like kittens around him.

The real tough guys don't ever have to tell anyone how tough they are or act tough. You can just see it in them.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-05-2015, 06:18 PM
A girl. Only fight I ever lost. She rubbed my nose in the sandbox at the playground. She was a 5th grader and I was a 1st grader. Taught me to keep my mouth shut.:laugh:

My sister almost two years older beat me until I turned 7--that year my older brother convinced me that it would be ok to beat her up--dad wouldnt mind. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
I did, my dad whopped my ass everyday for a month but my older sis never dared mistreat me again. Today we are by far the closest two members of all the siblings! Funny how that works, eh??
By the way, at the end of that month dad said proud that you stood up for yourself but dont hit sis like that ever again!
Save that for others not family. I paid heed to those words mostly. ;)
Still fought my older brother about nine or ten times--I never won a single fight but was on the verge of getting very close when decided to stop trying. :laugh:--Tyr

aboutime
05-05-2015, 06:28 PM
An EMT named Bernard is now the man I admire most. In an ambulance, and in the Emergency room, on the day I had my heart attack in 2009. He performed....Successful CPR on me, allowing me the opportunity to be here today, to enjoy our six grandchildren, and to see the daylight every morning.

He doesn't know it because he does this, probably Every day he responds to someone's home.

That is who I admire.

Drummond
05-05-2015, 06:30 PM

Definitely not 'Bad to the Bone' (heaven forbid) ... but extremely tough ... MARGARET THATCHER. In the days before she became PM, and even Party Leader .. she gave various speeches in support of her Party and philosophy. So it was that she was once guest speaker at my school, and spoke at school Assembly.

Intelligent, persuasive, and with a will of pure steel. If she doesn't qualify, nobody does !

sundaydriver
05-05-2015, 07:42 PM
How about Allen Sheppard? The 1st American riding in Mercury 7 launched into orbit by rocket.

A Redstone rocket that had NEVER had a successful launch previously and all blew up shortly after liftoff

I wonder how he fit those "gonads" into that little capsule. :laugh:

jimnyc
05-06-2015, 07:27 AM

I didn't even rate for your list? I need to grow some more, and not in the belly area. :)

I won most of my fights, but certainly lost a few. I was the fastest kid in town, so was able to get away from the bigger fellas!!

Jeff tried to kill me a few times. He dunked me in our pool in the yard and then stepped on me and wouldn't let me up. Jeff was able to hold his breath under water forever, but not me, and I think he assumed others were like him. I think I was about 2 seconds from death when I finally wiggled my way out. Not really a fight, but close enough! LOL

I can take a punch. I can be nervous up til that point, but getting knocked in the face make me angry, and then like Gunny said, it's on like Donkey Kong!! And if I do keep losing, then I hit you in the face with a large hunk of wood or huge rock and run like hell. Admittedly, I'm not the fairest, my goal is generally to win. Or I should say 'was' as I've grown up a tad. :)

Jeff
05-06-2015, 07:37 AM
First I have to comment on Gunny getting beaten up by a little Girl. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

In all honesty Gunny I have seen some pretty tough chicks, and the fact that very few men will ever hit them back keeps them that much tougher.

Honestly I have met so many tough folks it is unreal, but the ones that I respect the most are the troops returning from a war zone, they have a look and a air ( shall we say ) around them that just says don't "F" with me, yes those are some of the toughest folks I would have to say.

With that said as most of you know I run in a rather tough life style, Trucker/Biker, but I have found the guy that needs to blow his own horn, tell everyone just how tough he is usually couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag, on the other hand find a guy that is quiet but also running in that same arena, know him you better watch out for, he doesn't need to tell you how tough he is, in most cases give it time and he will show ya.

Gunny
05-06-2015, 08:22 AM
I didn't even rate for your list? I need to grow some more, and not in the belly area. :)

I won most of my fights, but certainly lost a few. I was the fastest kid in town, so was able to get away from the bigger fellas!!

Jeff tried to kill me a few times. He dunked me in our pool in the yard and then stepped on me and wouldn't let me up. Jeff was able to hold his breath under water forever, but not me, and I think he assumed others were like him. I think I was about 2 seconds from death when I finally wiggled my way out. Not really a fight, but close enough! LOL

I can take a punch. I can be nervous up til that point, but getting knocked in the face make me angry, and then like Gunny said, it's on like Donkey Kong!! And if I do keep losing, then I hit you in the face with a large hunk of wood or huge rock and run like hell. Admittedly, I'm not the fairest, my goal is generally to win. Or I should say 'was' as I've grown up a tad. :)

Can't imagine why.:laugh:

Gunny
05-06-2015, 08:25 AM
First I have to comment on Gunny getting beaten up by a little Girl. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

In all honesty Gunny I have seen some pretty tough chicks, and the fact that very few men will ever hit them back keeps them that much tougher.

Honestly I have met so many tough folks it is unreal, but the ones that I respect the most are the troops returning from a war zone, they have a look and a air ( shall we say ) around them that just says don't "F" with me, yes those are some of the toughest folks I would have to say.

With that said as most of you know I run in a rather tough life style, Trucker/Biker, but I have found the guy that needs to blow his own horn, tell everyone just how tough he is usually couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag, on the other hand find a guy that is quiet but also running in that same arena, know him you better watch out for, he doesn't need to tell you how tough he is, in most cases give it time and he will show ya.

Trust me. That was just the beginning of me picking out wrong girls. You'd have thunk I'd be smart enough to not pick on a tomboy about her black eye.:laugh:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-06-2015, 08:36 AM
I missed one yesterday and it took my wife to point that out!!!
She asked after reading over my shoulder a few moments ago--isn't your mom tough as nails?
Did she not birth have 13 children, raise eleven of them and do so while working the farm while doing her wifely duties?
Is that not tough ?
I was suddenly taken aback! Yes, there are other kinds of tough !
And we males so often overlook the other kind!
So , my being a dunce-never a rare thing methinks..
I must add my mother to that original five, maybe even place here in first place!
Humbling to be not only wrong but shown the error by a five foot five filipina lady(my darling wife) that never had a single fight in her life!-Tyr

Gunny
05-06-2015, 08:41 AM
Honorable mention: When I was 14 or 15 I got into a fight with the Marine that lived next door to us on Homestead AFB. When everyone else was playing fusbol at the DYA, I was playing football with the contingent of jarheads we had. I was barely holding my own when my dad came out of nowhere and nailed him with a clothesline Jack Lambert would have been proud of.:laugh:

My dad was a bully, but he was equal opportunity about it. He didn't care who you thought you were. And what you don't know CAN kill you. My dad was raised Army and was an Army Ranger before he swapped over to the USAF.

Perianne
05-06-2015, 07:04 PM
I didn't even rate for your list?

You fit in the "others" category.

FWIW, I am the toughest person on here. I will beat up anyone at anytime and make you like it!!! :dance:

LongTermGuy
05-06-2015, 07:07 PM

:cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7VsoxT_FUY

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-07-2015, 08:02 AM
You fit in the "others" category.

FWIW, I am the toughest person on here. I will beat up anyone at anytime and make you like it!!! :dance:

I've found that the trick is to make the stomped guy NEVER want any more. As I've seen guys come back for seconds with pure vengeance in their heart
and renewed purpose then stomp the previous winner all to hell and back. Was none of my concern so I simply watched and laughed.
Myself, had a few second time fights because I failed to" lower the hammer" correctly the first time around .
After that I learned to stop just a tad short of killing the guy, if the fight was over a very serious matter and the victim was a badass himself.
Of course, all is a matter of perspective.. . -Tyr

NightTrain
05-07-2015, 09:07 AM
Nancy. I've known her since about '85 or so. She lives in Talkeetna and owns a lodge in town that we use as HQ for launching up to the cabin.

She's about 6' 5" and generally is a very sweet person - until she gets into the Yukon Jack.

One occasion that is legendary in my circle of friends happened in '97. We were all living in Anchorage and we'd gotten a huge dump of snow, about 6' of fluffy, bottomless powder. Our plan was to blast a trail up to the cabin, but the snow conditions were making it impossible. We spent all day Saturday abusing our snowmachines (mine, mostly because I had a big paddle track) and finally called it quits when it started to get late. You can only rev your machine at 8,000 RPMs for so long before you blow it up, and that was the only way I was making any progress.

So we went back down to Talkeetna after only making about 6 miles of trail to get a room at the lodge and head back to Anchorage the next morning. There was only 2 available rooms, and they were tiny. 3 of us set up camp in one room, and then went to the bar down the hall.

We were sitting at the bar tying one on, and heard a commotion behind us. Nancy had her son-in-law, Mac, by the throat up against the wall with one hand, straight armed. Mac was a little guy, but anyone that can effortlessly straight-arm a struggling man 2 feet off the floor has some serious strength. Mac was in a rage, but couldn't do anything about it. He was shouting "Put me down, you bitch, or I'll cut you!" She had at least a foot of reach on him.

"No you won't." And she slapped him with her other hand, twice. Hard. This went on for a few minutes. Many threats; many brutal slaps.

We decided to get out of there, because this had all the makings of a full fledged bar brawl - and taking sides in this one was a loser all the way around.

So we went back to our tiny room and squeezed into it, still laughing about little Mac getting roughed up by Nancy. He probably deserved it.

About 2 hours later, we were awoken to a thunderous booming on our door. I was the closest and reached over to open the door, thinking the place was on fire or something.

There was Nancy, with 2 fifths of Yukon Jack, one of them half empty. We all looked up at her silently, trying to figure out what she wanted. She was very drunk by now, and was swaying. She looked past me to locate Chris, my friend that is about 6' 2" and an ex college linebacker star. Yeah, Beefy Blond Man was on the menu.

He's a big man and he was the apple of her eye. And she was big enough, strong enough and drunk enough to take what she wanted.

"Hey, Chris. You want to party?" she boomed, swaying in the doorway.

We looked at Chris, who had his blankets pulled up to his eyes. There was no window to escape through.

"Nnnn... Nooo?" He said it like he was asking permission to decline.

Nancy considered this for about 10 very long seconds.

"I got Yukon Jack," she said, holding up both fifths as proof.

"She's right, Chris, she does!" I said. This was very funny, now that I realized that my pelvis was in no danger of being crushed. He kicked me.

Chris told her that he had to get up VERY early to get back to Anchorage. Maybe another time?

Nancy pondered this, and finally shrugged and wandered down the hall and I closed the door. Chris asked me to deadbolt it.

We saw Mac the next morning sporting two black eyes and a puffy face. That was the last time he ever pissed off Nancy while they were drinking. And the last time Chris ever stayed at the lodge overnight - he escaped once and didn't want to push his luck.

SassyLady
05-12-2015, 02:29 AM
Chuck Norris?

Actually, for me it's a rodeo cowboy Trevor Brazille.

CSM
05-12-2015, 06:04 AM
I have met a lot of tough men in my years of service. No, they were not blow hards and they sure as hell didn't go around telling everyone how tough they were. One of the toughest and bravest I ever met was a medic. Watched him carry a wounded soldier five miles through jungle terrain to get the guy medevac'd while being chased by a bunch of VC. That kid was maybe 5'7" with boots on and skinny as a rail. Quiet and unassuming but all heart and sinew. Some of us offered to help him but he knew we were all busy "keeping the wolves at bay" so to speak and insisted that we do our jobs and let him do his. I will never ever forget that kid and what he did.

darin
05-12-2015, 06:49 AM
I have met a lot of tough men in my years of service. No, they were not blow hards and they sure as hell didn't go around telling everyone how tough they were. One of the toughest and bravest I ever met was a medic. Watched him carry a wounded soldier five miles through jungle terrain to get the guy medevac'd while being chased by a bunch of VC. That kid was maybe 5'7" with boots on and skinny as a rail. Quiet and unassuming but all heart and sinew. Some of us offered to help him but he knew we were all busy "keeping the wolves at bay" so to speak and insisted that we do our jobs and let him do his. I will never ever forget that kid and what he did.

Dude - you almost-always hit home runs.

Every blow-hard guy I meet is one thing. He's scared. He's insecure. He's like all those crazy dogs Cesar Milan fixes with a smack and 'psshhht!'.

:)

I am not tough. I'm big-ish (Just ask y'alls girlfriends...), but I'm too smart to be a 'tough guy'. :)

CSM
05-12-2015, 06:58 AM
Dude - you almost-always hit home runs.

Every blow-hard guy I meet is one thing. He's scared. He's insecure. He's like all those crazy dogs Cesar Milan fixes with a smack and 'psshhht!'.

:)

I am not tough. I'm big-ish (Just ask y'alls girlfriends...), but I'm too smart to be a 'tough guy'. :)

Not sure about the "home run" part... heh. I do know one thing. There is a big difference between being "big and mean" and being truly "tough". Real tough guys have heart, discipline, determination, integrity and a whole bunch of other adjectives that a lot of folks would not even recognize as a word these days. They don't have to prove a damned thing to anyone.

CSM
05-12-2015, 07:09 AM
Here's a tough guy:

"'Mighty Fine at 109': America's Oldest Vet Marks Birthday with Cigar

Not bad for America's oldest living military veteran, who turned 109 on Monday."

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2015/05/12/mighty-fine-at-109-americas-oldest-vet-marks-birthday-with-cigar.html?ESRC=eb.nl

Gunny
05-12-2015, 08:08 AM
I've found that the trick is to make the stomped guy NEVER want any more. As I've seen guys come back for seconds with pure vengeance in their heart
and renewed purpose then stomp the previous winner all to hell and back. Was none of my concern so I simply watched and laughed.
Myself, had a few second time fights because I failed to" lower the hammer" correctly the first time around .
After that I learned to stop just a tad short of killing the guy, if the fight was over a very serious matter and the victim was a badass himself.
Of course, all is a matter of perspective.. . -Tyr

The best way to not get in a bar fight is to not go into the bar. One of the first things my sensei told me.

darin
05-12-2015, 08:14 AM
Mine said:

The blackness of my belt is as black as inside of a coffin on a moonless night.

That's pretty black.

It is a black art, and I, Haru, am the blackest of the black. Or rather the great white black art... Blackest... Master.

Gunny
05-12-2015, 08:15 AM

The biggest guy that talked the loudest in my unit was the biggest freakin' wuss. Spent two year listening to his crap and when the first round went downrange he tried to dig himself a hole to China.

And you GOT to love a Doc. Those guys just had a pair. Hell, they got out with a .45 an a patch up kit where nobody else will. You'll never hear me knock a green side Corpsman.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-12-2015, 08:20 AM
The best way to not get in a bar fight is to not go into the bar. One of the first things my sensei told me.

Dude told ya right.
My problem was I worked in bars /clubs --job was to fight when it became necessary. Other times , hung in bars because the wild women came there- and that will get a man into fights in a heartbeat because other guys did not like the competition...:laugh:
I had a rule back then--If she is not married and willing then to hell with what some other guy says about it. Exception was I NEVER messed with a friend's gal.... that was a huge no-no for me as I allowed no such action on my gal.
Wild young days of youth, aint we all got 'em?:laugh:
If I could go back to change anything it'd be my drinking too much for about a decade. Sure as hell contributed to my mistakes and misery..-Tyr

Gunny
05-12-2015, 08:41 AM
Dude told ya right.
My problem was I worked in bars /clubs --job was to fight when it became necessary. Other times , hung in bars because the wild women came there- and that will get a man into fights in a heartbeat because other guys did not like the competition...:laugh:
I had a rule back then--If she is not married and willing then to hell with what some other guy says about it. Exception was I NEVER messed with a friend's gal.... that was a huge no-no for me as I allowed no such action on my gal.
Wild young days of youth, aint we all got 'em?:laugh:
If I could go back to change anything it'd be my drinking too much for about a decade. Sure as hell contributed to my mistakes and misery..-Tyr

Yeah, me too. Was a bouncer when I was 18. It's funny in hindsight. We didn't have cell phones nor ear pieces back in the day. You held your own until someone else figured out what was happening. I worked in a hard rock biker bar in Miami.

Funny how rules change. A Marine never messed with another Marine's wife/GF. Until post 1990. That was like the 11th Commandment.

aboutime
05-12-2015, 07:45 PM

CSM. Agreed. Since I am in my late sixties. I have no fear of telling everyone what I need to say. Which is, over more than my fifty years since joining the navy. I have learned, and witnessed how those who always feel they need to constantly BRAG the most...generally prove to be the Biggest Mouth, with only their imagination to back their BRAGGING up.

Never has failed. Just pay attention here, and read the obvious warnings for yourselves.