PDA

View Full Version : Overtime

Perianne
05-05-2015, 04:43 PM
The federal overtime provisions are contained in the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Unless exempt, employees covered by the Act must receive overtime pay for hours worked over 40 in a workweek at a rate not less than time and one-half their regular rates of pay.

My state, Kentucky, has the same laws. A work week is defined as Sunday through Saturday.

It is common practice in hospitals to work employees a lot of time without overtime pay. For example, I have been scheduled to work Thursday through Tuesday. That (12-hour work days) results in 72 hours in a six-day period. No overtime is paid because there are only three days in each work week.

I think the law should make any amount over 40 hours in a seven-day period be paid at overtime pay.

Your thoughts?

http://www.dol.gov/whd/overtime_pay.htm

sundaydriver
05-05-2015, 05:18 PM
The federal overtime provisions are contained in the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Unless exempt, employees covered by the Act must receive overtime pay for hours worked over 40 in a workweek at a rate not less than time and one-half their regular rates of pay.

My state, Kentucky, has the same laws. A work week is defined as Sunday through Saturday.

It is common practice in hospitals to work employees a lot of time without overtime pay. For example, I have been scheduled to work Thursday through Tuesday. That (12-hour work days) results in 72 hours in a six-day period. No overtime is paid because there are only three days in each work week.

I think the law should make any amount over 40 hours in a seven-day period be paid at overtime pay.

Your thoughts?

http://www.dol.gov/whd/overtime_pay.htm

You're 7 day stretch is broken up by the start & end of the work week for payroll. The large majority US companies use Sunday as the beginning of a payroll week, so working 7 consecutive days get's you no OT with you're schedule.
although you should be earning 36 hrs. OT every week as you again work Thur. thru Sat. in the same work week.

If you saying that you only have one day a week off?

Also companies are finding "creative" ways to have hourly employees work the same extended hours with less OT being paid.

fj1200
05-06-2015, 12:39 PM

Your thoughts?

You don't have to work there.