PDA

View Full Version : Half and Half is disgusting

jimnyc
05-06-2015, 01:18 PM
Eck, what the hell is in that stuff? I ran out of milk and just made a cup and only put a little of this stuff in there in replacement. Damn coffee taste like perfume or something. At first, since the coffee was still rather dark, I thought maybe I didn't put enough in. So I put in another small dash. Nope, only worse. Anyone here drink this stuff? It's horrible.

fj1200
05-06-2015, 01:22 PM
You don't drink half and half, it goes in stuff. :slap: And if it made your coffee taste like perfume, you're doing it wrong.

jimnyc
05-06-2015, 01:26 PM
You don't drink half and half, it goes in stuff. :slap: And if it made your coffee taste like perfume, you're doing it wrong.

I'd edit my post but too late now. That's what I meant, that it was in my coffee. And not doing it wrong, as I've had these "emergency" uses of it before, while traveling, and it's always disgusting. I have no idea what made me think it would suddenly taste fine.

fj1200
05-06-2015, 01:29 PM
I'd edit my post but too late now. That's what I meant, that it was in my coffee. And not doing it wrong, as I've had these "emergency" uses of it before, while traveling, and it's always disgusting. I have no idea what made me think it would suddenly taste fine.

I understand now. Before you put milk in your coffee and having to use half and half makes you actually taste the coffee now... :poke:

There is little functional difference between milk and half and half. Try heavy cream for the good stuff. :)

DLT
05-06-2015, 01:39 PM
Eck, what the hell is in that stuff? I ran out of milk and just made a cup and only put a little of this stuff in there in replacement. Damn coffee taste like perfume or something. At first, since the coffee was still rather dark, I thought maybe I didn't put enough in. So I put in another small dash. Nope, only worse. Anyone here drink this stuff? It's horrible.

Lol! What brand did you use?

jimnyc
05-06-2015, 01:55 PM
I understand now. Before you put milk in your coffee and having to use half and half makes you actually taste the coffee now... :poke:

There is little functional difference between milk and half and half. Try heavy cream for the good stuff. :)

Uggh, no way. You southern folks have all the cows, start drinking damn milk!!

Lol! What brand did you use?

I think it was Land 'O Lakes, but it doesn't matter. When traveling south, once I started getting through Virginia, all anyone offered was the damn half and half, and everywhere I stopped for a quick coffee off the highway had those stupid little "moo cow" things you rip apart and pour in your coffee. I try to grab a gall of milk, use some, then put it back. :coffee:

Stuff is just nasty, it's like adding another type of sweetness in the coffee, which I already use sugar for!!

DLT
05-06-2015, 02:01 PM

I think it was Land 'O Lakes, but it doesn't matter. When traveling south, once I started getting through Virginia, all anyone offered was the damn half and half, and everywhere I stopped for a quick coffee off the highway had those stupid little "moo cow" things you rip apart and pour in your coffee. I try to grab a gall of milk, use some, then put it back. :coffee:

Stuff is just nasty, it's like adding another type of sweetness in the coffee, which I already use sugar for!!

Like many things....it's an acquired taste. I don't buy regular milk any more, unless I need it for a recipe. I either use powdered creamer or Great Value half&half for my coffee now.

jimnyc
05-06-2015, 02:40 PM
Like many things....it's an acquired taste. I don't buy regular milk any more, unless I need it for a recipe. I either use powdered creamer or Great Value half&half for my coffee now.

Yeah, well my tongue has already acquired milk! I hear them say "Milk, it does a body good", but I never heard the same about that nasty tasting half and half stuff. And even worse is the powder stuff. Nothing like getting a cup of coffee, asking where the milk is, and having them hand you powdered creamer stuff :puke3::puke:

Bilgerat
05-06-2015, 07:00 PM
The Lady of the House uses Half & Half and milk in her coffee

My statement is and always has been, coffee ought to be black like God intended it for to be!

I do add a bit of H&H to her scrambled eggs or to her cheese omelette, but I always have two over easy

:salute: :dance: :salute:

jimnyc
05-06-2015, 07:09 PM
^^ Yeah, my wife uses them when she makes eggs for me, but at least that stuff is eventually cooked then. LOL I don't care much for black coffee, but that's the route I'm going in the future should I be out of milk.

LongTermGuy
05-06-2015, 08:10 PM
`....​I enjoy Hazelnut Coffee creamer with my Coffee (and sweetener)....Black coffee for me is to ...bland...`

http://static.caloriecount.about.com/images/medium/shoprite-coffee-creamer-sugar-46097.jpg

DragonStryk72
05-06-2015, 09:38 PM

Well, not much of a coffee drinker. That said, my mom hates the half & half too. Thankfully, pretty much every McDonald's on earth at this point will put real milk in your coffee if you ask for it. 7-11 also usually has real milk on hand, though you might need to ask where they're keeping it.

Jeff
05-06-2015, 09:55 PM
Jim Dad and Janeen got me hooked on Coffee Mate in my coffee, Dad says it is healthier than milk, not real sure about that but it sure taste good and a 1/2 a gallon last forever.

Perianne
05-06-2015, 10:07 PM

I think half and half is 1/2 cow milk and 1/2 bull milk. Maybe that is why you don't like it; you're not familiar with the taste. :)

Jeff
05-06-2015, 10:16 PM
I think half and half is 1/2 cow milk and 1/2 bull milk. Maybe that is why you don't like it; you're not familiar with the taste. :)

A Bull milk, OK never mind not going there. :laugh:

fj1200
05-07-2015, 09:27 AM

Actually the midwest has all the cows. I think there's a pipeline that transmits it directly to my local Kroger. Milk doesn't belong anywhere near coffee. That's how all of this started. :poke:

Yeah, well my tongue has already acquired milk! I hear them say "Milk, it does a body good", but I never heard the same about that nasty tasting half and half stuff. And even worse is the powder stuff. Nothing like getting a cup of coffee, asking where the milk is, and having them hand you powdered creamer stuff :puke3::puke:

So you're complaining because milk has better marketing? :slap: I actually do use the powdered stuff. :yum: But I did use half and half today at my daughter's school; they didn't have cream.

Bilgerat
05-07-2015, 09:37 AM
Milk doesn't belong anywhere near coffee. That's how all of this started. :poke:

That's all I'm saying! :laugh:

NightTrain
05-07-2015, 09:39 AM
Half & half is just milk with extra cream in it. I'd imagine it's got exactly 48% more cream than your ordinary 2% milk.

You don't like milk? Whatsamatta with you?

Sharon always uses it in her coffee, I usually use Bailey's (non-alcoholic) creamer for my coffee, either original or French Vanilla flavor. Yeah, I got hooked on the stuff after having a Vanilla Latte from an espresso stand - that stuff is awesome.

Perianne
05-07-2015, 09:44 AM
Half & half is just milk with extra cream in it.

That's what I told him. :)

fj1200
05-07-2015, 09:45 AM
Milk is good for what God intended: baby cows, cheese, and frosted flakes.

NightTrain
05-07-2015, 10:05 AM
That's what I told him. :)

Yeah... but I think half of your ingredients are wrong. Funny, but very very wrong.

NightTrain
05-07-2015, 10:07 AM

I drink that stuff constantly. There's nothing more delicious and satisfying than a cold glass of milk. But it has to be in a glass - glass. Not as good in a plastic glass, and I'm sure that's just in my head but nevertheless...

jimnyc
05-07-2015, 02:06 PM
Well, not much of a coffee drinker. That said, my mom hates the half & half too. Thankfully, pretty much every McDonald's on earth at this point will put real milk in your coffee if you ask for it. 7-11 also usually has real milk on hand, though you might need to ask where they're keeping it.

That's true, but heading south it was easier to hit the small stores at gas stations than the tourist infested McDonalds. I don't really recall seeing any 7-11's while heading south? Maybe one, that had a Liberty gas station attached. A billion in NJ and only one that I can find in my area in NY, but too far for casual use.

Jim Dad and Janeen got me hooked on Coffee Mate in my coffee, Dad says it is healthier than milk, not real sure about that but it sure taste good and a 1/2 a gallon last forever.

Don't like that crap no more either. I also would drink nothing more than French Vanilla coffee, and now it tastes like crap to me.

Oh my. I surely hope none of us are familiar! LOL

Actually the midwest has all the cows. I think there's a pipeline that transmits it directly to my local Kroger. Milk doesn't belong anywhere near coffee. That's how all of this started. :poke:

So you're complaining because milk has better marketing? :slap: I actually do use the powdered stuff. :yum: But I did use half and half today at my daughter's school; they didn't have cream.

But if half and half has what I drink in it, with added cream, then you are drinking milk, no? :poke:

I can agree there - but it should be Count Chocula, Cookie Crisp - and if you must have something semi healthy, then Kellogs corn flakes with strawberries.

I drink that stuff constantly. There's nothing more delicious and satisfying than a cold glass of milk. But it has to be in a glass - glass. Not as good in a plastic glass, and I'm sure that's just in my head but nevertheless...

I have a kind of metal glass, and a mug. Best way is to wet the outside and freeze for a tad, then pour in the milk. Hell, I like it when it's so cold that you're still drinking frozen chips in it! :)

LongTermGuy
05-07-2015, 02:12 PM

`I agree and feel the same...But (also)...`My milk has to be 1% -2% of course very cold in a glass and (very important to me).... have a small ice cube in it... :cool:..`

DLT
05-07-2015, 02:13 PM

Lol!!! Don't diss the powder, dude. WTSHTF it will be the only thing we'll have available. I know, I know....you'll start drinking your coffee (assuming you can get any) black then, eh?

DLT
05-07-2015, 02:15 PM
`....​I enjoy Hazelnut Coffee creamer with my Coffee (and sweetener)....Black coffee for me is to ...bland...`

http://static.caloriecount.about.com/images/medium/shoprite-coffee-creamer-sugar-46097.jpg

If I'm going the flavored creamer route, I choose Vanilla. Different strokes...

DLT
05-07-2015, 02:17 PM

Lol! (Restraining myself from snark here)

LongTermGuy
05-07-2015, 02:17 PM
If I'm going the flavored creamer route, I choose Vanilla. Different strokes...

`Thats good also...Irish creme would work for me also..:coffee:.

jimnyc
05-07-2015, 02:20 PM
Lol!!! Don't diss the powder, dude. WTSHTF it will be the only thing we'll have available. I know, I know....you'll start drinking your coffee (assuming you can get any) black then, eh?

It's gross, but in line with black coffee gross - so it depends on how good the powder is I suppose. I imagine the gas stations open on the highway at 3am probably don't spend a fortune on powdered milk. :)

fj1200
05-08-2015, 08:08 AM
But if half and half has what I drink in it, with added cream, then you are drinking milk, no? :poke:

Yes, but half and half isn't my top choice, sometimes it just happens to be the better option. Like yesterday's two options at my daughter's school; milk or half and half. I like powdered creamer because it doesn't water down the coffee.

Gunny
05-08-2015, 08:36 AM

When I quit laughing at your ass I might have a better response.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

KitchenKitten99
05-11-2015, 10:24 PM

No it is not better than milk. Look at the ingredients. Coffee Mate uses soy in their products both powder and liquid. Both also contain Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oils which are Trans-fats.

^^ Yeah, my wife uses them when she makes eggs for me, but at least that stuff is eventually cooked then. LOL I don't care much for black coffee, but that's the route I'm going in the future should I be out of milk.
Did I read that people put cream in eggs???

WTF?? Butter! It's supposed to be butter! :bang3:

I can agree there - but it should be Count Chocula, Cookie Crisp - and if you must have something semi healthy, then Kellogs corn flakes with strawberries.
heh...the milk and strawberries are the only nutritional part of that. Corn flakes are no better than just eating straight sugar.

Regarding your dilemma:
What it comes down to is a simple culinary term : Fat=flavor.

When you add a fat to any food, it highlights and brings forth flavors not otherwise detected by the average human tongue.

What brand of coffee do you get? Pre-ground or Whole bean?

How do you brew it?

LongTermGuy
05-11-2015, 10:47 PM
`You mess with my Half & Half and its game over.....

http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/file/6329_redbullwings.gif

SassyLady
05-12-2015, 01:07 AM
I love the stuff!!! Reminds me of when I was a kid and we drank the milk straight from the milking pail. Most of the time the cream was skimmed off the top and made into butter.

I don't drink coffee so couldn't tell you how it should taste in coffee. I use 1/2 & 1/2 on my cereal, in a bowl of fruit, in my scrambled eggs, to make hot chocolate, dip warm cookies in .... yum!

Stay away from the "fat free" stuff ... tastes like plastic.

jimnyc
05-12-2015, 12:19 PM
Did I read that people put cream in eggs???

WTF?? Butter! It's supposed to be butter! :bang3:

I use butter and/or regular milk. She prefers the creamy crap. And I think it boils down to just that, a preference is all. Everyone likes different tastes.

heh...the milk and strawberries are the only nutritional part of that. Corn flakes are no better than just eating straight sugar.

Well yeah, I kinda of course know that, but I like to be delusional with myself. I tell myself that look, I can be eating a big bowl of ice cream for breakfast, or perhaps 2 bowls of the chocolate crap, or the cookie crisp... but I choose the least of the bad, and it's the least of my options. And I'm confident that while not exactly eating my veggies, not quite as bad as eating 20 spoonfuls of sugar! LOL Sometimes I get the good granola crap too.

Regarding your dilemma:
What it comes down to is a simple culinary term : Fat=flavor.

Yep, yummy, just like in a good prime rib!!

When you add a fat to any food, it highlights and brings forth flavors not otherwise detected by the average human tongue.

What brand of coffee do you get? Pre-ground or Whole bean?

How do you brew it?

I don't go crazy with grounds... I use a Keurig machine, and the brand of coffee rotates, but mostly a Keurig brand there as well. But pre-ground is the answer there. And yes, before you say it, I know it's better to grind it here, and I do have a grinder. Just too damn lazy!! And no, you can't talk me into it, I love my Keurig machine and am addicted, and you can't take my crack away from me!!

jimnyc
05-12-2015, 12:21 PM
I thought it was Land 'o Lakes, but it's some organic death liquid that the woman buys. And yes, as an added bonus, that is my thumb in the picture, so control yourselves ladies!! :coffee:

http://i.imgur.com/Tt10IHT.jpg

Gunny
05-12-2015, 01:51 PM
I use butter and/or regular milk. She prefers the creamy crap. And I think it boils down to just that, a preference is all. Everyone likes different tastes.

Well yeah, I kinda of course know that, but I like to be delusional with myself. I tell myself that look, I can be eating a big bowl of ice cream for breakfast, or perhaps 2 bowls of the chocolate crap, or the cookie crisp... but I choose the least of the bad, and it's the least of my options. And I'm confident that while not exactly eating my veggies, not quite as bad as eating 20 spoonfuls of sugar! LOL Sometimes I get the good granola crap too.

I don't go crazy with grounds... I use a Keurig machine, and the brand of coffee rotates, but mostly a Keurig brand there as well. But pre-ground is the answer there. And yes, before you say it, I know it's better to grind it here, and I do have a grinder. Just too damn lazy!! And no, you can't talk me into it, I love my Keurig machine and am addicted, and you can't take my crack away from me!!

That's bunk and so is all this "trans-fats" crap. Milk in and of itself is one the healthiest, whole foods you can go for.

jimnyc
05-12-2015, 02:07 PM
That's bunk and so is all this "trans-fats" crap. Milk in and of itself is one the healthiest, whole foods you can go for.

I just go for whatever the hell tastes good to me! :)

Gunny
05-12-2015, 02:16 PM
I just go for whatever the hell tastes good to me! :)

I get THAT. I'm eating steak and baked potatoes every chance I get. I actually know full well how to break down calories. I've been a weightlifter since I was 14 and an athlete since I was 6.

But my 2 pack is never going to be a 6 pack. If red meat kills me, fine. I look at it this way .... if being miserable for 10 or so extra yeas gets me 10 or so extra years, screw it. I'll take 10 less years and be happy. Steak and lobster with steamed asparagus makes me happy. :)

KitchenKitten99
05-12-2015, 05:29 PM
I use butter and/or regular milk. She prefers the creamy crap. And I think it boils down to just that...

Uh...ok. Effing east coast weirdos...

Eating corn flakes you might as well be eating the sugar cereals because corn is a simple carbohydrate and in the ground up form is processed in your body and stored as fat, just like sugar. There is almost no nutritional value in corn flour. This is why my husband has to stay away from anything made with rice or corn. His glucose spikes and he has a hard time getting it down.

You basically answered yourself why your coffee tasted like hell.

Underbrewed low quality coffee that the fat in the cream has highlighted the fact that it is poor all around. Fat highlights flavors both good and bad and will magnify both good and poor seasoning Or good/poor quality of most things you add it to.

Keurigs do not brew at the recommended temp of 180. It brews at about 150 max and uses the same amount of grounds for the different cup sizes.

I can't even stomach anything out of a Keurig. I'll go without coffee or stop at a gas station for some before I drink any k-crap.

jimnyc
05-12-2015, 05:35 PM

Eating corn flakes you might as well be eating the sugar cereals because corn is a simple carbohydrate and in the ground up form is processed in your body and stored as fat, just like sugar. There is almost no nutritional value in corn flour. This is why my husband has to stay away from anything made with rice or corn. His glucose spikes and he has a hard time getting it down.

Underbrewed low quality coffee that the fat in the cream has highlighted the fact that it is poor all around. Fat highlights flavors both good and bad and will magnify both good and poor seasoning Or good/poor quality of most things you add it to.

Keurigs do not brew at the recommended temp of 180. It brews at about 150 max and uses the same amount of grounds for the different cup sizes.

I can't even stomach anything out of a Keurig. I'll go without coffee or stop at a gas station for some before I drink any k-crap.

I only use the standard size, and my Keurig brews at a perfect 192 degrees (and goes up to 210). Well, perfect for me anyway! :) The K stuff is actually pretty good. Everyone has their own tastes I suppose. Some would swear by D&D, and I did at one point. Some do the same about nasty Starbucks. Some do the same about home ground, K cups... You get the idea. I know some you could spend an eternity on brewing the best coffee in the world, and they would dump it out and buy crap instead!!

And of course we're weird on the east coast! Have you seen the liberal wackos that are in NY/NJ/CT? Then just a stones throw north is Mass. where the mothership of liberals lies. And of course DC is here, which is enough to drive anyone nuts given time.

Gunny
05-12-2015, 06:57 PM

While I can agree in principle. corn and rice are complex carbs, not simple ones. Simple carbs are fruits.

As far as coffee goes ... guess what they give Marines? There ain't no "K" in "instant c-rat crap".:laugh:

KitchenKitten99
05-12-2015, 08:15 PM
While I can agree in principle. corn and rice are complex carbs, not simple ones. Simple carbs are fruits.

As far as coffee goes ... guess what they give Marines? There ain't no "K" in "instant c-rat crap".:laugh:

No they're not. Corn and rice do not contain enough fiber (if any) to slow the body's digestion of the carbs.
Most fruits have the fiber and nutrient content to do so. Corn and rice are higher in the glycemic index than fruits. Both will elevate glucose but corn and rice will generally boost it higher than fruits will amd it will stay elevated for a longer period, which is what you don't want.

Living with a diabetic on insulin (my husband) plus my 3 other family members with it as well, along with macro and micro nutrition education that I was taught in culinary school.

My husband sees a nutritionist and an endocrinologist every 3 months.

jimnyc
05-13-2015, 09:34 AM
Also wanted to add, the milk I drink instead of that glop of goo in a carton is lactose free, and also 100% fat free! LOL And it's yummy and awesome!! :)

Gunny
05-13-2015, 12:41 PM
No they're not. Corn and rice do not contain enough fiber (if any) to slow the body's digestion of the carbs.
Most fruits have the fiber and nutrient content to do so. Corn and rice are higher in the glycemic index than fruits. Both will elevate glucose but corn and rice will generally boost it higher than fruits will amd it will stay elevated for a longer period, which is what you don't want.

Living with a diabetic on insulin (my husband) plus my 3 other family members with it as well, along with macro and micro nutrition education that I was taught in culinary school.

My husband sees a nutritionist and an endocrinologist every 3 months.

We'll just have to agree to disagree then because you are incorrect as far as classification goes. Having spent most of my life as a health geek I was up to snuff on nutrition. I just finally gave up on starving myself trying to look like someone I never was going to. :laugh: