PDA

View Full Version : Jim Gray: Brady suspension 'will not hold up' under appeal

Jeff
05-12-2015, 06:44 AM
They are going to sit Brady for 4 games a fine for the team and they lose 2 draft picks, all this because they did something that allowed them to earn millions, the punishment doesn't seem to fit the crime. What I don't understand is how Brady has gotten pulled into it, they say he didn't hand over his phone but they also say he wasn't told to do so. This whole thing seems fishy. IMO if they had proof that this team cheated and it helped them win the championship they shouldn't of been allowed to play in the bowl, if they didn't get this info until afterwards then they should have the championship stripped from them.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://video.foxnews.com/v/embed.js?id=4230442189001&w=466&h=263"></script><noscript>Watch the latest video at <a href="http://video.foxnews.com">video.foxnews.com</a></noscript>

Gunny
05-12-2015, 09:10 AM
They are going to sit Brady for 4 games a fine for the team and they lose 2 draft picks, all this because they did something that allowed them to earn millions, the punishment doesn't seem to fit the crime. What I don't understand is how Brady has gotten pulled into it, they say he didn't hand over his phone but they also say he wasn't told to do so. This whole thing seems fishy. IMO if they had proof that this team cheated and it helped them win the championship they shouldn't of been allowed to play in the bowl, if they didn't get this info until afterwards then they should have the championship stripped from them.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://video.foxnews.com/v/embed.js?id=4230442189001&w=466&h=263"></script><iframe src="//video.foxnews.com/v/video-embed.html?video_id=4230442189001&loc=debatepolicy.com&ref=about%3A%2F%2F" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" height="263" width="466"></iframe><noscript>Watch the latest video at video.foxnews.com (http://video.foxnews.com)</noscript>

Brady got pulled into it because he refused to knuckle under to the Nazi rule of the NFL. I can't stand the Patriots, but I'll give him creds for not backing down to a bully. The NFL, NCAA and MLB are tyrants. They think they can do whatever they want for whatever dumba$$ reason.

If I was him I'd sue the NFL. They can't prove jack sh*t. Oh, except that he told the NFL to f- off.

Bilgerat
05-12-2015, 09:12 AM
https://scontent-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11150785_926412137405475_8033851982222881324_n.jpg ?oh=5028c015ce16aa21d8e4ef6df98bad70&oe=560BF533

darin
05-12-2015, 09:44 AM
Brady got pulled into it because he's a fucking cheater. For a long time Brady has been complaining to the Techs to lower the ball air pressure. Things came to a head in the AFC championship game - but AFTER, when he lied about having any knowledge of the situation.

Brady didn't hand over his phone - but also refused to have HIS lawyers there, going through it to protect the private aspects of his phone. Brady claimed to not even know the name of the Tech, then later MENTIONED the tech to another person. Brady blew up the guy's phone immediately after this came out, too. Plus, Brady gave the guy merch that could reach values of tens of thousands of dollars. Brady got dragged into it because Brady is CENTRAL to the whole thing.

Brady knew the rules. He colluded with others to break the rules. He then lied about it.

Sucks. A lot. Not as bad as barry bonds, but brady's reputation from here to forever is tarnished just a bit.

My view? Abolish the stupid rule about air pressure. Air pressure - or lack thereof - of a football does NOT hurt the opposite team. Has no bearing on them.

Baseball and other sports where everyone uses the same ball? Okay - have ball-rules. Football? Nope. Get rid of them - but If the NFL does not come down hard on this (hehe...hard on) like they did, they'd have even less credibility.

This is worse - in terms of the intergrity of the game - than domestic violence, drunk-driving, and even dope-smoking. This affects ON-FIELD stuff.

Gunny
05-12-2015, 10:00 AM
Brady got pulled into it because he's a fucking cheater. For a long time Brady has been complaining to the Techs to lower the ball air pressure. Things came to a head in the AFC championship game - but AFTER, when he lied about having any knowledge of the situation.

Brady didn't hand over his phone - but also refused to have HIS lawyers there, going through it to protect the private aspects of his phone. Brady claimed to not even know the name of the Tech, then later MENTIONED the tech to another person. Brady blew up the guy's phone immediately after this came out, too. Plus, Brady gave the guy merch that could reach values of tens of thousands of dollars. Brady got dragged into it because Brady is CENTRAL to the whole thing.

Brady knew the rules. He colluded with others to break the rules. He then lied about it.

Sucks. A lot. Not as bad as barry bonds, but brady's reputation from here to forever is tarnished just a bit.

My view? Abolish the stupid rule about air pressure. Air pressure - or lack thereof - of a football does NOT hurt the opposite team. Has no bearing on them.

Baseball and other sports where everyone uses the same ball? Okay - have ball-rules. Football? Nope. Get rid of them - but If the NFL does not come down hard on this (hehe...hard on) like they did, they'd have even less credibility.

This is worse - in terms of the intergrity of the game - than domestic violence, drunk-driving, and even dope-smoking. This affects ON-FIELD stuff.

Making excuses for your team getting whipped?

He refused to turn over his stuff. I would too and I NEVER needed to cheat at football. So did Johnny Unitas over-inflate his footballs to stand on the 10 yard line and nail a 90 yard pass?

This is something in the "who gives a f-" category. I played middle LB from age 8 to 18. Also played in the Corps for my battalion until I was 24. I didn't give a crap what your ball weighed. Nobody ever weighed enough to not get knocked off their asses with their under-inflated football.

Bilgerat
05-12-2015, 10:13 AM
This is another take on things

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/five-reasons-why-the-nfl-got-the-deflate-gate-punishment-dead-wrong-233900364.html

darin
05-12-2015, 11:12 AM
Making excuses for your team getting whipped?

He refused to turn over his stuff. I would too and I NEVER needed to cheat at football. So did Johnny Unitas over-inflate his footballs to stand on the 10 yard line and nail a 90 yard pass?

This is something in the "who gives a f-" category. I played middle LB from age 8 to 18. Also played in the Corps for my battalion until I was 24. I didn't give a crap what your ball weighed. Nobody ever weighed enough to not get knocked off their asses with their under-inflated football.

Bringing up my team because your team sucks?

Tom Refused to have his text/phone records of convo between he and the techs looked-at. By that he attempted a cover up.

And Tom Broke the FUCKING GOD DAMN RULES for game play.

He's a cheater.

darin
05-12-2015, 11:37 AM
Oh. And I KILL at Madden on the PS3. Nobody is better :)

jimnyc
05-12-2015, 11:45 AM
There very well may have been other issues in football that was treated in a lighter manner. But first off, it shouldn't have been. They need to come down HARD on any team/players found to be cheating. If small, and you allow it, then it only gets worse. And secondly, the Patriots history since Brady was on the team. I think his suspension is where it should be, and the rest to the team as well.

It would suck if it's lifted after appeal. As many have stated, Ray Rice knocked his woman out cold and got 2 games. They need to start handling these things properly.

Bilgerat
05-12-2015, 12:05 PM

He's a cheater.

Were you this excited when the Panthers and the Vikings were caught warming up their game balls during the game?

That's against the rules, but all they got was a warning.

And in 2012 when the Chargers used towels with an adhesive on their game balls. They didn't turn the evidence over immediately when ordered to do so.

The punishment there, a piddling 20K

This is going to be challenged in court and the Commissioner will again look like a fumbling, bumbling idiot.

https://scontent-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10461445_10152818222763144_1393373197019078195_n.p ng?oh=782ef732a452e1bdb4e93fdc083a524a&oe=55D0CD9B

darin
05-12-2015, 12:26 PM
Were you this excited when the Panthers and the Vikings were caught warming up their game balls during the game?

And in 2012 when the Chargers used towels with an adhesive on their game balls. They didn't turn the evidence over immediately when ordered to do so.

This is going to be challenged in court and the Commissioner will again look like a fumbling, bumbling idiot.

Who is excited? I don't hate the Deflatriots. And I have no problem with Tom Brady. I know he's Psssssst at the situation and things like this can be deflating for a person's morale - even in the off-season.

What are we talking about - Rule violations in the history of the NFL or Tom Brady's role in actively and covertly violating the rules and subsequently lying about it?

jimnyc
05-12-2015, 12:29 PM

I think they screw up all the time. The Panthers/Vikings should have been fined an awful lot, as the rules are the rules, and bypassing like they did might have giving them an edge on the playing field. The Chargers should have received an even larger fine, as I believe something like that was even more blatant and more likely to give an edge. But the rules are the rules regardless, and they didn't follow them. The team and the players involved all should have been fined. I think the Patriots fines/suspensions in this case were correct.

They screw up all the time as I said. Look at Adrian Peterson. They have rules in effect, give out a suspension. Then they change it. In that case it was also turned over in court. They need 100% established rules and follow them 100% and stop with the PC crap and little slaps on the wrists for some, and coming down hard on others.

Regardless of which team though, and even my beloved Steelers, the one thing that can't and shouldn't be tolerated in the slightest bit is any form of cheating. And that should go for all professional sports, IMO.

jimnyc
05-12-2015, 12:31 PM
Tom Brady's role in actively and covertly violating the rules and subsequently lying about it?

That's one thing that I think shows guilt more than anything, was his refusal to cooperate and for over pertinent records, because then it reeks of him trying to hide something. It's the text messages that put me over the edge in believing he had a part in this and requested this in some manner.

darin
05-12-2015, 12:35 PM
That's one thing that I think shows guilt more than anything, was his refusal to cooperate and for over pertinent records, because then it reeks of him trying to hide something. It's the text messages that put me over the edge in believing he had a part in this and requested this in some manner.

Bingo. We should remember the standard here:

. the greater weight of the evidence required in a civil (non-criminal) lawsuit for the trier of fact (jury or judge without a jury) to decide in favor of one side or the other. This preponderance is based on the more convincing evidence and its probable truth or accuracy, and not on the amount of evidence

Not irrefutable proof.

jimnyc
05-12-2015, 12:40 PM
Bingo. We should remember the standard here:

Not irrefutable proof.

But with opinions and desires aside, Bilgerat very well may be correct, that this gets overturned in court. Based in rules, CBA, prior suspensions around the league, what solid proof they have, and don't have... A lot will go into it if he should take it that far. And then based on 'precedent' against others that Bilgerat gave examples of... While not identical, they are similar, and the penalties are in different stratospheres. The league is it's own worst enemy. Frickin idiots.

darin
05-12-2015, 01:01 PM
There's no court in play here. But if there was, he'd lose based on the definition I listed.

A mediator might reduce it? Yeah. Would suck? yeah. But still.

jimnyc
05-12-2015, 01:37 PM
There's no court in play here. But if there was, he'd lose based on the definition I listed.

A mediator might reduce it? Yeah. Would suck? yeah. But still.

Not yet anyway. That's how Peterson got reinstated, he went to court and won, and then the NFL reinstated him shortly thereafter. It may not go that far of course, but getting an injunction if they don't get their way is a possibility.

Gunny
05-12-2015, 01:39 PM
Bringing up my team because your team sucks?

Tom Refused to have his text/phone records of convo between he and the techs looked-at. By that he attempted a cover up.

He's a cheater.

Nah. I just like poking at you in good fun. I don't take professional sports seriously. I quit doing that years ago. I thought not having a stroke was the better option. :)

What rule did anyone PROVE he broke? THAT is what I disagree with. Since when did we, as Americans, bust people on assumption? Oh yeah, sorry. Forgot where I was living for a moment. That whole "innocent until proven guilty Constitutional thingy" went out the window in the 80s.

Gunny
05-12-2015, 01:40 PM
Oh. And I KILL at Madden on the PS3. Nobody is better :)

I'd have to do too much thinking to figure it out.:laugh:

Gunny
05-12-2015, 01:45 PM
There very well may have been other issues in football that was treated in a lighter manner. But first off, it shouldn't have been. They need to come down HARD on any team/players found to be cheating. If small, and you allow it, then it only gets worse. And secondly, the Patriots history since Brady was on the team. I think his suspension is where it should be, and the rest to the team as well.

It would suck if it's lifted after appeal. As many have stated, Ray Rice knocked his woman out cold and got 2 games. They need to start handling these things properly.

I disagree. I don't agree with the rule, nor dogpiling Brady as an example to something no one's yet proven. He's being punished for taking a stand and telling the NFL to f- off, not for anything the NFL has proven. When you tell tyrants like King George the III of the NFL to f- off, I'm on your side.

You want in my phone? How does kiss my a$$ sound for an answer? I don't care what you think I did nor who you think you are. It's the principle. And ...:laugh:.... there's nothing in my phone.

jimnyc
05-12-2015, 01:49 PM
I thought not having a stroke was the better option. :)

Thought I was the only one that bad. I think I turned purple a few times. I have serious issues when it comes to watching the games and nearly having a stroke! :lol:

But I'm usually good about ribbing with fans of other teams and such, that stuff never bothered me much, even when the Steelers had Cliff Stoudt as their QB! It's pretty much just the watching, and being on edge and wanting them to win. And even when the Steelers win 11,12,13 games in a season, they like to make me sweat it out as they finish all of their games tight and in the last few minutes. As much as I love my team, there are times I feel like reaching through the screen and punching one of them in the face when they make a bad play, or a stupid decision.

It's a tad different with my family though, as we like to really ride one another, although all in good fun. I remember the Steelers losing in the championship game to the chargers in like 1994, and Jeff and John were at my apartment at the time watching with me. Steelers blew it on the 1 yard line on the last play of the game. Yeah, I was pissed at them and my TV screen of course. But then wanted to stab them too not long after for fucking with me. :laugh:

DLT
05-12-2015, 01:51 PM

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://video.foxnews.com/v/embed.js?id=4230442189001&w=466&h=263"></script><noscript>Watch the latest video at <a href="http://video.foxnews.com">video.foxnews.com</a></noscript>

According to what I heard on Rush (and I admit that I know nothing else about the matter).....it's all based on circumstantial evidence....not solid proof. The presumption is that Brady did something wrong. The principle here is....that your employer can penalize you for something they "think" you did. I disagree with that principle. If they have no proof, then they have no justification for punishing you.

Gunny
05-12-2015, 01:55 PM
According to what I heard on Rush (and I admit that I know nothing else about the matter).....it's all based on circumstantial evidence....not solid proof. The presumption is that Brady did something wrong. The principle here is....that your employer can penalize you for something they "think" you did. I disagree with that principle. If they have no proof, then they have no justification for punishing you.

And the presumption in a court of is .....? Innocence. So we agree. You don't get to shoot him just because he's Tom Brady.:laugh: My idea of the last SB is if the Earth opened up and swallowed both teams there'd be a win. :laugh:

The fact is, another NFL team made an accusation and the media ran with it. If that is how the Jets have to win games then they need to head back to the minors.

jimnyc
05-12-2015, 01:57 PM
I disagree. I don't agree with the rule, nor dogpiling Brady as an example to something no one's yet proven. He's being punished for taking a stand and telling the NFL to f- off, not for anything the NFL has proven. When you tell tyrants like King George the III of the NFL to f- off, I'm on your side.

You want in my phone? How does kiss my a$$ sound for an answer? I don't care what you think I did nor who you think you are. It's the principle. And ...:laugh:.... there's nothing in my phone.

I don't like that rule either, but it IS a rule until such time they remove it from the books. They didn't prove it with a smoking gun, but the circumstantial evidence was easily there with the texts between the other guys and the film of the guy going into the bathroom with the balls. While I agree that I think they 'piled on' and/or ran with public sentiment, the Pats still did break the rules, whether unwittingly or not. What they really need is consistency. If there were huge fines and suspensions all along for any breath of cheating, then this wouldn't seem like a huge fine/suspension.

As for the phone, he's free to deny their request. But with other circumstantial evidence, it gives off the appearance of him wanting to hide something, and adds to the evidence as a whole that was used to make a final decision. I fully understand the principle, trust me, but it doesn't change appearances in the investigation.

darin
05-12-2015, 01:59 PM
If he wasnt cheating, he wouldn't have attempted to cover it up. He would have deflated the balls in plain sight. Just is a terrible example of sportsmanship.

Yup. I would have been fine with an all-year suspsension. Maybe.

Here's the thing

Seahawks push the rules with regard to defense holding. While they are near the bottom of the league in penalties, the year they won the SB they were close to raping the guys at the line of scrimmage.

But that was right there, on the field. Plain sight. That's why it's different for me.

jimnyc
05-12-2015, 02:03 PM

The guy that carried the balls was seen on camera taking them into the bathroom just prior to going to the field. This guy, and another guy that helps prepare the balls prior to the game, discussed the 'deflator' and issues related (although not in prefect wording) via text. Brady was in contact with the one guy for awhile after the news broke, even thought he wasn't in months prior. Also, to make matters even worse, there was discussion in these texts between the 2 guys of the ball guy getting some sort of kickbacks for his handy work. Admittedly it's all circumstantial, but it's 'good' circumstantial evidence that piled up.

I don't think other NFL teams will be fined and such based on a whim of someone thinking they did something alone. But if there's such a detailed investigation done and an equal amount of circumstantial evidence or more, then I can see such punishment again. No different than any other 'court', where convictions are made all the time without hard proof. I understand the NFL is not a court, but they do have rules, and rules to investigations, and rules from the CBA's and such.

darin
05-12-2015, 02:17 PM
I say again: No "proof" is needed. Beyond a reasonable doubt is for criminal stuff. AND the legal system. Not a company/corporation.

Their stated standard is 'preponderance of the evidence.'

Gunny
05-12-2015, 03:02 PM
If he wasnt cheating, he wouldn't have attempted to cover it up. He would have deflated the balls in plain sight. Just is a terrible example of sportsmanship.

Yup. I would have been fine with an all-year suspsension. Maybe.

Here's the thing

Seahawks push the rules with regard to defense holding. While they are near the bottom of the league in penalties, the year they won the SB they were close to raping the guys at the line of scrimmage.

But that was right there, on the field. Plain sight. That's why it's different for me.

What exactly is he covering up? His text and e-mail messages? I've got nothing to hide but I'll be damned if I'd turn them over to anyone just because they said so.

And there's no difference to me between defensive holding and 1 PSI. So let's strip the Seahawks of their *1* (count 'em :poke: title)?

Like I said, I played football forever. Why is this even a rule?

Oh, and all of these people cheat. Since the late 70's when it became big business.

Gunny
05-12-2015, 03:21 PM
After thinking about it for a few minutes and based on what we know now, if I was in Tom Brady's position I'd sue the NFL. He's got the means and doesn't have a lot of years left. I'd sue them for libel, defamation of character and for wages lost throughout the rest of my contract.

Problem is he probably loves playing the game and wants to play more. I get it. And I'm looking at it from hindsight in the "what I should have done" category.

The other problem is no one ever stands up to these major league sports tyrants. Hell, no one even stands up to the NCAA. I don't give a damn if you're my employer and think you have special rights that supercede the US Constitution. How can you have rights that override the supreme law of the land (unless your las name is Obama, that is)? You know, that innocent until proven guilty thing?

jimnyc
05-12-2015, 05:19 PM
After thinking about it for a few minutes and based on what we know now, if I was in Tom Brady's position I'd sue the NFL. He's got the means and doesn't have a lot of years left. I'd sue them for libel, defamation of character and for wages lost throughout the rest of my contract.

Problem is he probably loves playing the game and wants to play more. I get it. And I'm looking at it from hindsight in the "what I should have done" category.

The other problem is no one ever stands up to these major league sports tyrants. Hell, no one even stands up to the NCAA. I don't give a damn if you're my employer and think you have special rights that supercede the US Constitution. How can you have rights that override the supreme law of the land (unless your las name is Obama, that is)? You know, that innocent until proven guilty thing?

Just to add to things, from another perspective on circumstantial and direct proof. I still think with the totality of the investigation and evidence offered that he is guilty. I'm not even convinced he'll win on any appeal to the league first. My beef is with the way the NFL handles it's punishments.

--------

NEW YORK (AP) -- The lawyer who investigated the New England Patriots insisted Tuesday that he found direct, not just circumstantial, evidence to show quarterback Tom Brady knew team employees were deflating footballs.

Miffed by criticism from Brady's agent, Ted Wells decided to take the unusual step of holding a conference call with reporters, a day after the NFL suspended the Super Bowl MVP for the season's first four games based on the report.

Wells said his findings would have been strong enough to convince a jury under the ''preponderance of evidence'' standard, which is used in many civil cases.

Wells released his report last Wednesday, asserting it was ''more probable than not'' that Brady ''was at least generally aware'' of plans by two team employees to prepare the balls to his liking, below the league-mandated minimum of 12.5 pounds per square inch.

His voice frequently rising, Wells testily rebutted assertions from Don Yee, Brady's agent, questioning Wells' independence because his firm does other business with the NFL.

''What drove the decision in this report is one thing: It was the evidence,'' Wells said. ''I could not ethically ignore the import and relevancy of those text messages and the other evidence.''

Wells specifically mentioned two series of text exchanges between officials' locker room attendant Jim McNally and equipment assistant John Jastremski. In one, McNally referred to himself as ''the deflator'' and joked about going to ESPN. In another, Jastremski mentioned speaking to Brady the previous night, saying the quarterback knew McNally was stressed out by needing to deflate the balls.

''That is not circumstantial evidence,'' Wells said. ''That is two of the participants in a scheme discussing what has taken place.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-investigator-says-found-direct-evidence-against-brady-185753127--nfl.html

Voted4Reagan
05-12-2015, 06:40 PM
It will hold up....

If it doesn't.... Pete Rose needs to be in Cooperstown... the same day

Bilgerat
05-12-2015, 06:52 PM
http://yourteamcheats.com/

darin
05-13-2015, 05:44 AM
Holy cow folks.

IT IS NOT A COURT OF LAW.

"HOLD UP" This is NOT a court of F'ing LAW. If the report 'holds up'? 'sue'????

Preponderence of the evidence shows to an unbiased 3rd party that Tom knowingly allowed or participated in cheating. Simple as that. NFL can run its business as it wishes, with its rules -however dumb

jimnyc
05-13-2015, 06:06 AM
http://yourteamcheats.com/

Oh my!

• the STEELERS are ELITE NFL cheaters (http://yourteamcheats.com/cheaters/)!

Jeff
05-13-2015, 06:25 AM
More on the subject.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://video.foxnews.com/v/embed.js?id=4231513149001&w=466&h=263"></script><noscript>Watch the latest video at <a href="http://video.foxnews.com">video.foxnews.com</a></noscript>

A defiant Tom Brady went on offense hours after the NFL sacked him with a four-game suspension for his role in “deflategate,” vowing through his agent Monday night to appeal the “ridiculous” penalty.
A months-long investigation commissioned by the league found the Super Bowl MVP played a role in the intentional deflation of game balls, a move that experts say could have given Brady an advantage in the New England Patriots’ AFC championship victory over the Indianapolis Colts.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/05/12/defiant-tom-brady-vows-to-blitz-nfl-with-appeal-suspension-in-deflategate/

darin
05-13-2015, 07:54 AM
I LOL'd out loud :)
Language NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDBkPQW6mo0

darin
05-13-2015, 08:13 AM
Even More Lol's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT9pygVQwgk

LongTermGuy
05-13-2015, 08:16 AM
:coffee:

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/43288569.jpg

darin
05-13-2015, 08:25 AM
http://i.imgur.com/25z6vLj.jpg

jimnyc
05-13-2015, 08:27 AM
More on the subject.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/05/12/defiant-tom-brady-vows-to-blitz-nfl-with-appeal-suspension-in-deflategate/

One of the lawyers on his team is "Jeffrey Kessler", who was a partner at the law firm I worked at for years in NYC. This guys is VERY high profile and obviously is the best of the best. He's the reason I got to see so many athletes. Probably the biggest when I was there was the Latrel Sprewell case. But he handled MANY more, for the NBA, NFL and others. He was the representative for the players unions.

With the folks he has on his side, I don't think Brady is looking to just a quick simple appeal. If he has Kessler, he's probably not going to just drop this, or drop it after a simple appeal to the league.

Just think, the guy who potentially may help Brady get out of this - I fixed his computer many, many times. That makes me sad. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_L._Kessler

Gunny
05-18-2015, 12:41 PM
Thought I was the only one that bad. I think I turned purple a few times. I have serious issues when it comes to watching the games and nearly having a stroke! :lol:

But I'm usually good about ribbing with fans of other teams and such, that stuff never bothered me much, even when the Steelers had Cliff Stoudt as their QB! It's pretty much just the watching, and being on edge and wanting them to win. And even when the Steelers win 11,12,13 games in a season, they like to make me sweat it out as they finish all of their games tight and in the last few minutes. As much as I love my team, there are times I feel like reaching through the screen and punching one of them in the face when they make a bad play, or a stupid decision.

It's a tad different with my family though, as we like to really ride one another, although all in good fun. I remember the Steelers losing in the championship game to the chargers in like 1994, and Jeff and John were at my apartment at the time watching with me. Steelers blew it on the 1 yard line on the last play of the game. Yeah, I was pissed at them and my TV screen of course. But then wanted to stab them too not long after for fucking with me. :laugh:

I can't watch professional sports. When the officials determine the outcome of games, it isn't a game. I've called pro football the "NFL Referee Show" since the late 80's. The NBA's just as bad. Look at the Spurs. How many championships have they won since 1999? But SA is a blue collar, small market team.

If I watch a game, I turn on like the last minute or two and see if anyone I want to win has a chance.

The point I see here is this a moral issue with politics and money rolled in. And a matter of physics. How does one underinflate only the "right" football? The kicker ain't going to like your ass for underinflating the ball and he's got 3 seconds to make a 55 yard field goal. He's going to want that ball pumped until the seams are stretched. Then you have atmosphere. Playing in Miami is NOT playing in Denver. The accusation is illogical and I see no advantage to over-or-underinflating a ball by 1 PSI.

What I DO see is just another media-feuled, over-sensationalized knee jerk reaction by the public and the NFL. And I will repeat: I don't like the Patriots nor Brady. It kind of makes my stomach turn to defend him.:laugh: At the same time, the NFL acts like the US government and thinks it can do anything to anyone at any time on its say-so and reacts to accusations before it thinks.

So, if for no other reason, kudos to Brady for flipping off the NFL.