PDA

View Full Version : Land Use

indago
05-12-2015, 07:06 AM
Journalist Jeff Karoub wrote for The Associated Press 12 May 2015:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Beth Olem Cemetery is like many aging, final resting places, with assorted tombstones in varying condition, sizes and styles, surrounded by a brick wall and iron gate. Yet surrounding it on all sides is an unusual neighbor: a massive automotive plant. ...In the early 1860s, members of what's now called Congregation Shaarey Zedek secured the burial ground...

"You can only come when GM says you can come"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

article (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_HIDDEN_CEMETERY?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-05-12-01-33-32)

And life goes on...

Time has a way of changing things. Societies crumble, and other societies are built upon the ruins. Land use changes, and cemetaries are moved for the changing times. What is the use of burying bodies if, at a later date, they are then moved to another location? Why not just reduce the body to ashes in all cases, and then scatter the ashes to the winds?

darin
05-12-2015, 08:23 AM
Fundamentally Time doesn't change anything. That is to say, Time is not a change-agent. (OOH! That's good! Please don't steal my new saying!).

Neglect lead to the condition of the cemetery - even as a symbol of relationships, society, or whatever. Neglect doesn't really cause anything, either.

See, things break down. Things start new, then start dying. Neglect doesn't serve to salvage anything - but allows nature to happen.

And get this - honestly, for the cemetery to become rubble, neglect had to have been the case. There was no choice by anyone associated with it.

Let me expand a little bit...

Think of a relationship. Heart-use relates to land-use.

For my marriage to end she and I had no choice in how we behaved. None. Choice goes out the window when talking about reality (or our perception thereof). Same goes for that cemetery. For the reality to happen (dis-array) those associated with it must have neglected it - not put forth efforts to mitigate the eventual destruction.

To answer your question - the use of burring bodies - even if they are later moved - remains. Doesn't matter to the bodies - what matters, though - the tombstones.

If I owned a company and had to move a cemetery to expand I'd emboss the names of those interned onto a monument on the property.

Gunny
05-12-2015, 08:30 AM
New saying huh? :laugh:

What I think is this: Burn me to ashes. If you're REALLY kind, dump the ashes off the old Bahia Honda trestle bridge in the Keys. We spend too much time worshiping the dead when if people would be half as kind to them in life as they are when they're gone, the world would be a better place.

darin
05-12-2015, 08:43 AM
We spend too much time worshiping the dead when if people would be half as kind to them in life as they are when they're gone, the world would be a better place.

It's simillar to 'event' days. Mother's Day. Father's Day. Xmas. Whatever. Saint Valentine's Day. Doesn't matter.

People are generally lazy. Yup. People's laziness is one aspect of why people do not change. Like was mentioned in the "Why men do not marry" thread. Marriage generally highlights character flaws within the relationship. Because people are lazy (and comfort breeds laziness) people will not change who they are at their core - self-centered. However! To our RESCUE are the 'event days'.

Treat your parents like shit ALL YEAR, but then, finally, break down and tell them you love them once per year.

Never. EVER. EVER "Tell" somebody you love them.

Instead 'BE LOVING" to them.

Never "Say you are sorry".

"BE SORRY". FEEL Remorse. FEEL love. FEEL gratitude.

Waiting until people die is the ULTIMATE 'Event Day' for people.

Eulogize people while they can feel your appreciation for their lives.

Gunny
05-12-2015, 09:01 AM
It's simillar to 'event' days. Mother's Day. Father's Day. Xmas. Whatever. Saint Valentine's Day. Doesn't matter.

People are generally lazy. Yup. People's laziness is one aspect of why people do not change. Like was mentioned in the "Why men do not marry" thread. Marriage generally highlights character flaws within the relationship. Because people are lazy (and comfort breeds laziness) people will not change who they are at their core - self-centered. However! To our RESCUE are the 'event days'.

Treat your parents like shit ALL YEAR, but then, finally, break down and tell them you love them once per year.

Never. EVER. EVER "Tell" somebody you love them.

Instead 'BE LOVING" to them.

Never "Say you are sorry".

"BE SORRY". FEEL Remorse. FEEL love. FEEL gratitude.

Waiting until people die is the ULTIMATE 'Event Day' for people.

Eulogize people while they can feel your appreciation for their lives.

I couldn't have said that better. Watching my family when my grandfather died just made me sick. Ignore the old guy who was the kindest guy in the universe then suddenly "you" were his favorite. GMAFB. My grandmother's laying in the other room in total shock and I'm listening to a-holes feel sorry for themselves for something they never even had. He was all she ever had. He didn't get the time of day until he was dead.

And not a damned one of them cared about what SHE was going through.

darin
05-12-2015, 09:06 AM
then it gets worse.

Funerals become about "I". "Me"

"Oh! He/She was so close to ME!! I am so hurting. I loved them!"

:(

Saw it recently - maybe even posted about it. Young girl's funeral. Bunch of people spoke - NOT about the young girl's life and beauty (internal). But it was about how THEY (the speaker) was in pain and hurting and all that shit.

Get off your "MY" horse, people.

Gunny
05-12-2015, 09:35 AM
then it gets worse.

Funerals become about "I". "Me"

"Oh! He/She was so close to ME!! I am so hurting. I loved them!"

Saw it recently - maybe even posted about it. Young girl's funeral. Bunch of people spoke - NOT about the young girl's life and beauty (internal). But it was about how THEY (the speaker) was in pain and hurting and all that shit.

Get off your "MY" horse, people.

You got that right. My grandmother wasn't even dead and my mother, brother and cousins were dividing up their shit. And whining like little piglets. And I'm sitting in the background just watching this crap. The fact is, I was the only one that took care of them. My uncle lived closer to them but because his high-faluting wife that she was too good for us wouldn't let him go, my grandmother was neglected until I pulled a few strings and got stationed at home. I had to gow mow her lawn, change her lightbulbs and gas up her car every weekend. And I had a 2 years old and a newborn.

If -- back to the original subject -- I want to be buried in the ground, I have a plot right next to my grandparents, and THEY bought it. Go figure who was the "favorite". They had my mom and uncle and neither of them have that space.

I took care of my grandmother until the day she died. And it was the same thing. Everybody's feeling sorry for themselves on the porch and I'm in the room with my grandmother.

And no one in my family can understand why I have nothing to do with them.