PDA

View Full Version : NWEA testing?

darin
05-12-2015, 05:31 PM
My 7th grade son spoke to his NWEA scores - any teachers know the scoring system? He's at 264 in math, 251 in reading - he thinks 248 in english - cant recall science.

Those look pretty good? We dont have the paperwork yet.

fj1200
05-13-2015, 06:46 PM
You might be able to glean some information here:

https://www.nwea.org/assessments/standards-alignment/michigan/

A couple of my kids just did some testing. You're only guessing until you get the percentile information. Didn't he take similar previously?

darin
05-14-2015, 05:49 AM
You might be able to glean some information here:

https://www.nwea.org/assessments/standards-alignment/michigan/

A couple of my kids just did some testing. You're only guessing until you get the percentile information. Didn't he take similar previously?

Thanks!

He has - but I don't recall if it was nwea or another funny-named-test.

Eventually we'll get some sort of report in the mail.

darin
05-14-2015, 05:53 AM
went to that link. Holy shitballs.

I hate school. Too many words..

:)

Kathianne
05-14-2015, 06:01 AM
went to that link. Holy shitballs.

I hate school. Too many words..

:)

This may help:

http://ties.k12.mn.us/sites/ties.k12.mn.us/files/TIES_2014-2015_Target_Scores.pdf

Jeff
05-14-2015, 06:06 AM
dmp my boys ( also in the 7th grade ) take some other test ( maybe it is the same thing just called different ) but they usually send us the results at or near the end of the year, which today is the last day of school so we should be getting the scores and a breakdown of exactly what they are very soon.

Also get this, I received a E mail this week from their school Principal informing me that if I want their last report card I would need to send a stamp for each student :eek: How cheap can the school system get. We have to pay to rent a locker ( that was paid for when the school was built ) and the kids must also rent one in the locker room for Gym, they aren't expensive but Dam that just seems crazy.

Kathianne
05-14-2015, 06:24 AM
dmp my boys ( also in the 7th grade ) take some other test ( maybe it is the same thing just called different ) but they usually send us the results at or near the end of the year, which today is the last day of school so we should be getting the scores and a breakdown of exactly what they are very soon.

Also get this, I received a E mail this week from their school Principal informing me that if I want their last report card I would need to send a stamp for each student :eek: How cheap can the school system get. We have to pay to rent a locker ( that was paid for when the school was built ) and the kids must also rent one in the locker room for Gym, they aren't expensive but Dam that just seems crazy.

Wow, those are some 'creative fees.' LOL! Never heard of such, I think they were hidden in 'administrative fees,' which was substantial and unexplained.

Jeff
05-14-2015, 06:34 AM
Wow, those are some 'creative fees.' LOL! Never heard of such, I think they were hidden in 'administrative fees,' which was substantial and unexplained.

Great HUH Kat, and the school system is so good "sarcasm"

fj1200
05-14-2015, 09:14 AM
Thanks!

He has - but I don't recall if it was nwea or another funny-named-test.

Eventually we'll get some sort of report in the mail.

My kids take MAP and used to take CRCT but I think the name changed to NWEA.

I imagine it's the same for your boys but not every test is required every year IIRC.

darin
05-14-2015, 10:10 AM
I just sent an email to the distric superintendent

Hello Sir - My Son, Ethan XXXXXX has issues with his testing - he keep just-about-maxing his tests since entering the school district. :) What's stopping us from, say, sticking him in 9th grade next year - skipping 8th. There is no better-behaved kid in your district, and probably not a more emotionally-intelligent student. Beyond that, he lives to do well in school; often doing a happy-dance when he scores extra credit. For me, that's a big time 'Nerd-alert', but he is well-rounded. Ethan takes breaks from his hours of reading to do normal things like playing video games, writing a book (not so normal), wathching sports, and he spends a LOT of time not-cleaning his room. Quite seriously - what would it take to push him through the grades according to his ability?

Thanks for your time - I look forward to working this issue with you - or the right person, if I've messaged you with something out of your lane.

Best to you,

Darin
PS - no, this is NOT Ethan pretending to be me, although he's smart enough to probably try something like this. I promise, it's me, Darin - Ethan's dad. :)

Will keep you posted. Excuse the typos - was using my phone to compose

Jeff
05-14-2015, 02:53 PM
My kids take MAP and used to take CRCT but I think the name changed to NWEA.

I imagine it's the same for your boys but not every test is required every year IIRC.

Your right fj, they do take a test every year ( mandatory ) but then they have certain test that they have to pass in order to be promoted, I am not sure of the name of these test ( for all I know it may be the same as dmp is saying ) but if I remember I will ask the wife tonight, then I will know. :laugh:

darin
05-14-2015, 05:44 PM
I got a reply from the district super:

Hi Darin,

I'm in favor of this concept. I will discuss it with my administrative team
next week. I'm on my way to Baltimore to attend my son's wedding right now
(my wife is driving).

Mike