PDA

View Full Version : Pan's Labrynth

dan
07-02-2007, 05:00 AM
I haven't seen a more misleading ad campaign for a movie in a long time. While this film was very, very good, it was nowhere near the "adult fairy tale" that it was advertised as. For one thing, the fantastical elements that made up all of the American ads make up for about 15% of the actual movie.

What this movie is really is a very disturbing, very sad story about the Spanish civil war and the toll it takes on a little girl's psyche. What they don't really advertise in the movie is the very graphic, very realistic violence throughout the movie.

I don't mean to say it's a bad movie, it's excellent. But, the way they advertised this would be like them advertising Saving Private Ryan as a movie about an aged vet who visits a cemetary with his family.

Oh, and also, it's in Spanish with subtitles, so, beware of that if you're not big on subtitles.

jackass
07-02-2007, 09:25 AM
First subtitled movie I have ever watched the whole way through. Not a bad movie. Not what I was expecting though. Worth the rental.

nevadamedic
07-02-2007, 09:39 AM
I haven't seen a more misleading ad campaign for a movie in a long time. While this film was very, very good, it was nowhere near the "adult fairy tale" that it was advertised as. For one thing, the fantastical elements that made up all of the American ads make up for about 15% of the actual movie.

What this movie is really is a very disturbing, very sad story about the Spanish civil war and the toll it takes on a little girl's psyche. What they don't really advertise in the movie is the very graphic, very realistic violence throughout the movie.

I don't mean to say it's a bad movie, it's excellent. But, the way they advertised this would be like them advertising Saving Private Ryan as a movie about an aged vet who visits a cemetary with his family.

Oh, and also, it's in Spanish with subtitles, so, beware of that if you're not big on subtitles.

Everyone is just trying to play off of the Harry Potter Syndrome.

dan
07-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Everyone is just trying to play off of the Harry Potter Syndrome.

That's probably very true, that's definitely how they marketed it. Have you seen it? Curious what you think of it.