PDA

View Full Version : Amtrak train was traveling "over 100mph" into 50mph curve?

Little-Acorn
05-13-2015, 02:22 PM
Investigators have said that the Amtrak train that crashed in Philadelphia last night, was travelling over 100 mph, on a curve whose speed limit was 50 mph.

One passenger who survived, was quoted as saying the train slowed suddenly as though someone had slammed on the brakes, just before the crash.

How long until we start hearing that the engineer was texting his girlfriend, or asleep at the controls, as the train approached the curve?

------------------------------------------

http://www.wsj.com/articles/deadly-train-wreck-in-philadelphia-leaves-disastrous-mess-1431499608

Amtrak Crash: Train Appears to Have Hit Curve Going Over 100 MPH
Speed limit where accident occurred drops to 50 MPH, rail administration says

Updated May 13, 2015 2:40 p.m. ET

PHILADELPHIA—An Amtrak train involved in a fatal crash here appears to have been traveling at more than 100 miles an hour as it entered a sharp curve where it derailed Tuesday night, killing at least seven people, according to two people with knowledge of the investigation.

The speed limit in that section of track drops to 50 miles an hour, according to the Federal Railroad Administration.

Investigators are focusing on the possibility that excessive speed was a factor in the derailment, one of these people said. The locomotive and all seven passenger cars of the train went off the tracks at a tight curve at Frankford Junction, north of Philadelphia city center. Multiple cars overturned, severely injuring some passengers and pinning others. At least seven people were killed, and more than 200 were injured, including eight who were in critical condition.

Amtrak officials notified some employees on a Wednesday conference call that excessive speed was believed to have contributed to the crash, said one of these people, who was briefed on the contents of the call.

--------------------------------------------

http://6abc.com/news/5-dead-65-hospitalized-in-amtrak-train-derailment/718111/

An Associated Press manager, Paul Cheung, was on the train and said he was watching Netflix when "the train started to decelerate, like someone had slammed the brake. Then suddenly you could see everything starting to shake," he said. "You could see people's stuff flying over me."

NightTrain
05-13-2015, 02:28 PM
I don't know why they don't have an autopilot on those things that will automatically control the speed. If that corner is only designed to handle trains at 50 MPH, then there needs to be an automatic speed reduction system to prevent any trains exceeding that.

There is no reason why we can't eliminate the human error factor for trains with something so simple.

LongTermGuy
05-13-2015, 02:33 PM
.....bad news....This might effect the lefts plan to get / ask for more tax-payer money for their non-stop push... to get MO` money for their (pet projects earmarks) and infrastructure programs...

DLT
05-13-2015, 02:50 PM
Investigators have said that the Amtrak train that crashed in Philadelphia last night, was travelling over 100 mph, on a curve whose speed limit was 50 mph.

One passenger who survived, was quoted as saying the train slowed suddenly as though someone had slammed on the brakes, just before the crash.

How long until we start hearing that the engineer was texting his girlfriend, or asleep at the controls, as the train approached the curve?

------------------------------------------

http://www.wsj.com/articles/deadly-train-wreck-in-philadelphia-leaves-disastrous-mess-1431499608

Amtrak Crash: Train Appears to Have Hit Curve Going Over 100 MPH
Speed limit where accident occurred drops to 50 MPH, rail administration says

Updated May 13, 2015 2:40 p.m. ET

PHILADELPHIA—An Amtrak train involved in a fatal crash here appears to have been traveling at more than 100 miles an hour as it entered a sharp curve where it derailed Tuesday night, killing at least seven people, according to two people with knowledge of the investigation.

The speed limit in that section of track drops to 50 miles an hour, according to the Federal Railroad Administration.

Investigators are focusing on the possibility that excessive speed was a factor in the derailment, one of these people said. The locomotive and all seven passenger cars of the train went off the tracks at a tight curve at Frankford Junction, north of Philadelphia city center. Multiple cars overturned, severely injuring some passengers and pinning others. At least seven people were killed, and more than 200 were injured, including eight who were in critical condition.

Amtrak officials notified some employees on a Wednesday conference call that excessive speed was believed to have contributed to the crash, said one of these people, who was briefed on the contents of the call.

http://6abc.com/news/5-dead-65-hospitalized-in-amtrak-train-derailment/718111/

An Associated Press manager, Paul Cheung, was on the train and said he was watching Netflix when "the train started to decelerate, like someone had slammed the brake. Then suddenly you could see everything starting to shake," he said. "You could see people's stuff flying over me."

Wouldn't be the first time. Didn't the last train derailment happen because the conductor dozed off? Same result. Train took a curve going waaay too fast.

Max R.
05-14-2015, 09:47 AM
.....bad news....This might effect the lefts plan to get / ask for more tax-payer money for their non-stop push... to get MO` money for their (pet projects earmarks) and infrastructure programs...

The bill cutting it's funding passed.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/13/politics/congress-amtrak-funding-crash/
A House panel approved a measure Wednesday that cuts funding for Amtrak, less than a day after a train derailment left at least seven people dead and many more injured.

The Republican-led House Appropriations Committee voted 30-21 to reduce grants to Amtrak by $252 million -- a drop of about 15% from last year's level. The cut would apply only to Amtrak's capital spending and wouldn't touch funding levels for safety and operations. The measure still needs to clear the full House and Senate before it would go into effect in October.
Democrats on the panel fought unsuccessfully to boost Amtrak funding by $1 billion, to $2.4 billion. But Republicans argued that such a spending increase would need to be offset by cuts elsewhere in the budget, and they admonished Democrats for pointing to the derailment in an effort to increase funding for the passenger rail service.

jimnyc
05-14-2015, 09:53 AM
I read this morning that the engineer was doing 106mph and then hit the emergency break when he saw trouble. The 'black 'box' stopped recording at 102mph. Yikes!

darin
05-14-2015, 10:22 AM
How much more funding would it take to have prevented the driver from being a dick and speeding.

Little-Acorn
05-14-2015, 10:23 AM
I don't know why they don't have an autopilot on those things that will automatically control the speed. If that corner is only designed to handle trains at 50 MPH, then there needs to be an automatic speed reduction system to prevent any trains exceeding that.

There is no reason why we can't eliminate the human error factor for trains with something so simple.

Many Amtrak passenger trains do. But some don't, including the one that crashed in Philadelphia.

I heard on the radio (oooh, there's a reliable source) that all American passenger trains are scheduled to be fitted with such systems by the end of 2015. The scheduling has been in place for over a year, and was not triggered by this accident.

Some systems (such as those on freight trains) don't actually slow the train down, they just flash lights in the engineer's cab and issue warnings. Others, such as the ones being fitted on passenger trains, flash warnings, and if the engineer doesn't slow down, the system actively applies the brakes to slow it down anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_train_control

ATC (Automatic Train Control) systems in the United States are almost always integrated with existing continuous cab signalling systems. The ATC comes from electronics in the locomotive that implement some form of speed control based on the inputs of the cab signalling system.[7] If the train speed exceeds the maximum speed allowed for that portion of track, an overspeed alarm sounds in the cab. If the engineer fails to reduce speed and/or make a brake application to reduce speed a penalty brake application is made automatically.[7] Due to the more sensitive handling and control issues with North American freight trains, ATC is almost exclusively applied to passenger locomotives in both inter-city and commuter service with freight trains making use of cab signals without speed control.

LongTermGuy
05-14-2015, 02:28 PM
How much more funding would it take to have prevented the driver from being a dick and speeding.

That was my point...funding with extra "earmarks"....this throws a wrench in the lefts gears.

`.....Maybe he just liked being a DICK....was a same sex marriage guy....and Target employee they are still checking into this guys past...Phone records etc....*right before accident...

Fact and not speculation:
Amtrak CEO: Appointed by Obama.
Amtrak Policy: "Our <nobr>diversity training (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/3289699/posts?page=20#)</nobr> program is designed to be an ongoing journey that emphasizes key principles of diversity and inclusion ."
Amtrak Results: Target cashier becomes Amtrak "death-train" engineer

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/ride-with-pride-620x344.png

darin
05-14-2015, 02:48 PM
Not sure what him choosing his gay lifestyle has to do with anything...MAYBE shows his general disregard for his health, longevity, and otherwise poor judgment? But that's a stretch.

Bilgerat
05-14-2015, 04:13 PM
And the Libs are screaming for "more money" let's pour millions of dollars into a piece of equipment to do the job THAT THE MONKEYS THAT ARE HIRED CAN'T DO!

Sweet dying Jeebus, the asshat was going faster then he could think, we need to pour more money into that hole!!!!

:thinking5:I have an idea, why not put a co-engineer on the damn train, one of them should be able to pay attention. :thinking5:

grannyhawkins
05-14-2015, 07:50 PM
I ain't sure why, but I get the sneakin suspicion that we're gonna find out that isis hacked the trains puter system, with a cell phone anna drone. I'm sure they'll be claimin they wuz behind it with one of tha 75 infiltrators that are all ready here.

Member, you heard it here first!!!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-14-2015, 08:01 PM
I ain't sure why, but I get the sneakin suspicion that we're gonna find out that isis hacked the trains puter system, with a cell phone anna drone. I'm sure they'll be claimin they wuz behind it with one of tha 75 infiltrators that are all ready here.

Member, you heard it here first!!!

Damn granny, you always have tha' skinny on crap like this... ;)

Mustin bez dat hilbilly telapathy thang goin' on....:laugh:

Send me sum of dat jug of shine yuz bez hoardin' my friend.. :beer: --Tyr

LongTermGuy
05-14-2015, 08:30 PM
Damn granny, you always have tha' skinny on crap like this... ;)

Mustin bez dat hilbilly telapathy thang goin' on....:laugh:

Send me sum of dat jug of shine yuz bez hoardin' my friend.. :beer: --Tyr

*I said it before and will say it again....Dont mess with Granny...she got insight...Granny Knows!:cool:

:beer: