PDA

View Full Version : Florida city bans beach drinking during spring break

Jeff
05-14-2015, 06:49 AM
A little to little a little to late ? They say 2 gang rapes numerous attempted murders and a host of other crimes happened on the beach during Spring Break. Now only a couple weeks after Spring Break they have the Spring Bike week, where alcohol is still allowed on the beach, as it is again in the fall, imagine that the big bad Bikers behave better than the college kids.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://video.foxnews.com/v/embed.js?id=4235446624001&w=466&h=263"></script><noscript>Watch the latest video at <a href="http://video.foxnews.com">video.foxnews.com</a></noscript>

Leaders of a Florida city voted Wednesday to ban beach drinking during the month of March as part of a larger crackdown on spring break excesses.

The Panama City Beach city council approved the ban on beach drinking during a special meeting to address partying by college students.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/05/14/florida-city-bans-beach-drinking-during-spring-break/?intcmp=trending

Gunny
05-14-2015, 08:13 AM
A little to little a little to late ? They say 2 gang rapes numerous attempted murders and a host of other crimes happened on the beach during Spring Break. Now only a couple weeks after Spring Break they have the Spring Bike week, where alcohol is still allowed on the beach, as it is again in the fall, imagine that the big bad Bikers behave better than the college kids.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://video.foxnews.com/v/embed.js?id=4235446624001&w=466&h=263"></script><iframe src="//video.foxnews.com/v/video-embed.html?video_id=4235446624001&loc=debatepolicy.com&ref=about%3A%2F%2F" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" height="263" width="466"></iframe><noscript>Watch the latest video at video.foxnews.com (http://video.foxnews.com)</noscript>

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/05/14/florida-city-bans-beach-drinking-during-spring-break/?intcmp=trending

Overkill. What they need to do is control the situation, not kill it. They don't want to spend the extra money for cops, but they're short-sighted enough to lose even more with a knee-jerk reaction.

Max R.
05-14-2015, 08:17 AM
Overkill. What they need to do is control the situation, not kill it. They don't want to spend the extra money for cops, but they're short-sighted enough to lose even more with a knee-jerk reaction.
It'll kill the Spring Break business. After all the kids go elsewhere to drink next year, the policy will come under review.

Gunny
05-14-2015, 08:38 AM
It'll kill the Spring Break business. After all the kids go elsewhere to drink next year, the policy will come under review.

What will happen is Spring Break will just go elsewhere. They have Spring Break from Corpus Christi to the Mexico border, and having lived in FL as well, they have it from JAX down to Miami. Panama City is cool because it's the first decent beach to get to from half the Midwest.

In South Texas, the cops control it. You find a Texan without a minor in possession charge are they're like me -- old. The biggest problem they have at Spring Break in Texas are dumbasses going across the border and not coming back. I told my daughter if she even thought about it I'd come get her butt and kick it all the way back across the border and THEN cut her off.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-14-2015, 08:54 AM

Money talks, bullshit walks. When they see the money leaving they will toss away the over reaction bullshit methinks.
A more realistic approach was all thats necessary, a few more cops even if paid overtime and stepped up night patrols on the beaches, etc..-Tyr

Max R.
05-14-2015, 09:01 AM
Money talks, bullshit walks. When they see the money leaving they will toss away the over reaction bullshit methinks.
A more realistic approach was all thats necessary, a few more cops even if paid overtime and stepped up night patrols on the beaches, etc..-TyrAgreed about the money. Lawyers and liability may be driving this, but business pays the bills.

Gunny
05-14-2015, 09:19 AM
A more realistic approach was all thats necessary, a few more cops even if paid overtime and stepped up night patrols on the beaches, etc..-Tyr

True. A couple of things wrong with this though. The first is Hannity making a crusade out of destroying Spring Break. He was and is too much of a nerd to go. Second, it's gotten WAY out of hand because it isn't controlled.

Third, we live in a society with no sense of personal responsibility.

Fourth, you got leeches that come from AL and GA just to prey on college kids.

Nothing can be just fun anymore.

DLT
05-14-2015, 04:12 PM

As usual, when leftists control anything, the many get penalized and punished for the deeds of the few. Just another reason why Liberalism sucks.

Gunny
05-14-2015, 06:56 PM
As usual, when leftists control anything, the many get penalized and punished for the deeds of the few. Just another reason why Liberalism sucks.

Progressive leftism is NOT liberalism. :)

LongTermGuy
05-14-2015, 07:06 PM
Progressive leftism is NOT liberalism. :)

*Liberalism is the Father of all Failed things...including Regressive leftism :)

Kathianne
05-14-2015, 07:20 PM

I have to disagree. They aren't banning alcohol, they're banning it on the beach. The police have been wanting to enforce all laws, including public drunkeness and making drug arrests.

There are tons of cities in FL that host Spring Breaks, but Panama City has had this reputation for outrageous behaviors since at least 2005 when my kids were still in universities. No, they never went to Panama City, but I heard them talking with their friends.

My kids were weird, they went to DisneyWorld with friends. I'm sure they had a few drinks, but their idea of a good time was rides, going to MGM, and water parks. ;) I guess they haven't changed much, they are planning to go down again a year from now, with their kiddies.

Max R.
05-14-2015, 09:04 PM
I have to disagree. They aren't banning alcohol, they're banning it on the beach. The police have been wanting to enforce all laws, including public drunkeness and making drug arrests.

There are tons of cities in FL that host Spring Breaks, but Panama City has had this reputation for outrageous behaviors since at least 2005 when my kids were still in universities. No, they never went to Panama City, but I heard them talking with their friends.

My kids were weird, they went to DisneyWorld with friends. I'm sure they had a few drinks, but their idea of a good time was rides, going to MGM, and water parks. ;) I guess they haven't changed much, they are planning to go down again a year from now, with their kiddies.
They're killing the beach party. I'd bet the kids will be happy to go elsewhere and revenue at Panama City will be down next spring.

Kathianne
05-14-2015, 09:16 PM
They're killing the beach party. I'd bet the kids will be happy to go elsewhere and revenue at Panama City will be down next spring.

Open alcohol on the beach is a bad idea. So is not busting kids for drugs. As Gunny made clear, plenty of beaches are Spring Break venues, but haven't had the level of problems that PC has. The blame seems to have been with the city council and mayor. This year it went too far.

LongTermGuy
05-14-2015, 10:17 PM
Open alcohol on the beach is a bad idea. So is not busting kids for drugs. As Gunny made clear, plenty of beaches are Spring Break venues, but haven't had the level of problems that PC has. The blame seems to have been with the city council and mayor. This year it went too far.

:clap::clap:

Gunny
05-15-2015, 06:21 AM

I think we may have a disconnect here. I most certainly am not blaming the police. I went through the Clinton years in the 90s of increasing out OpTempo while decreasing manpower. You do the best you can.

But, you've got a perfect storm in Panama City. They make their money on Spring Break and summer. The city is not going to hire 200 extra cops for 4 months of the year. It's an otherwise dead, sleepy little town. The people that run the city are to blame. Like anything else, all they see is profit and play Pontious Pilot with what goes on they don't have to personally deal with. If I was going to point a finger it would be at the city council. THEN I would next point my fingers at idiots and predators and irresponsible people that have turned something fun into crap and give a talking head like Hannity a platform to crusade.

And I don't think your kids are weird. If you raised them to think there's more to life than getting wasted and passing out on a beach in a place they don't even know, good job.

Gunny
05-15-2015, 06:23 AM
*Liberalism is the Father of all Failed things...including Regressive leftism :)

Nope.

Gunny
05-15-2015, 06:43 AM

Beach parties are fun. But, it ain't a one way street. Let's get past calling these people "kids". You have to be 21 to drink in FL. I was in 29 Stumps by the time I was 21. Most of these victims are victims because they put themselves in the position to be. I'm not excusing the predators at all. But you become prey by not being aware of your surroundings and who your enemies are. Passed out on the beach doesn't fit that mold.

You're a Marine pilot. You know that. You don't pay attention for one second and you're in the drink or getting your ass shot off. And if you get drunk and pass out on Patong Beach in Phuket, don't wonder why your wallet magically disappeared. (that happened to one of my LCpl's:laugh:)

Gunny
05-15-2015, 06:52 AM

Yes and no. I drank alcohol on the beach forever. What I see is these so-called "kids" have no sense of personal responsibility. A[[arently, Spring Break is now code for I can be an idiot and no one can blame me.

It's just something that's been ruined. We used to go have a few beers, steamed cherrystone clams and steaks on the grill and listen to Lynyrd Skyrnrd and Journey. Now it's seeing about how f-d up you can get, and who can get a video of you and post it on youtube.

Jeff
05-15-2015, 07:40 AM
Yes and no. I drank alcohol on the beach forever. What I see is these so-called "kids" have no sense of personal responsibility. A[[arently, Spring Break is now code for I can be an idiot and no one can blame me.

It's just something that's been ruined. We used to go have a few beers, steamed cherrystone clams and steaks on the grill and listen to Lynyrd Skyrnrd and Journey. Now it's seeing about how f-d up you can get, and who can get a video of you and post it on youtube.

Once again it is a sign of the times, what we did back in the day was shocking to our parents and other folks , but we knew where to draw the line, I have seen many a woman pass out , whether it was on the beach ( where we hung out a lot ) or under the bridge ( yes we hung out under the RT. 1 Bridge ) but not one of the woman was gang raped, as a matter of fact I don't recall anybody even wanting to mess with a woman that was that drunk. But today no one cares, and the more outrageous you can be the cooler you are.

AS for drinking on the beach, in NJ there was a law against it back when I was 18 i found out real quick like seems the cops consider 4 am to be in public, we where hanging out on the beach drinking a few beers ( on our way to Wild Wood for a weeks vacation ) we had stopped at Seaside Heights on the way down ( yes we started our vaca a day early ) and had a buddy that worked 2 towns up, well when the place he worked shut down we where just sitting on the beach drinking a few beers and the cops showed up, most of us where wearing nothing but a pair of shorts but myself and another guy had our wallets , so the cops wrote two tickets and said we all should chip in on them ( drinking in public is a expensive ticket ) I asked how in the hell at 4 am ( when not a soul was around ) was it in public, but that was how they would ticket you for drinking on the beach, nope no signs ( at that time anyway ) saying no alcohol on the beach ) but if you got caught drinking it is was drinking in public, but even with that law everyone always had a great time at the beach.

Gunny
05-15-2015, 08:25 AM
Once again it is a sign of the times, what we did back in the day was shocking to our parents and other folks , but we knew where to draw the line, I have seen many a woman pass out , whether it was on the beach ( where we hung out a lot ) or under the bridge ( yes we hung out under the RT. 1 Bridge ) but not one of the woman was gang raped, as a matter of fact I don't recall anybody even wanting to mess with a woman that was that drunk. But today no one cares, and the more outrageous you can be the cooler you are.

AS for drinking on the beach, in NJ there was a law against it back when I was 18 i found out real quick like seems the cops consider 4 am to be in public, we where hanging out on the beach drinking a few beers ( on our way to Wild Wood for a weeks vacation ) we had stopped at Seaside Heights on the way down ( yes we started our vaca a day early ) and had a buddy that worked 2 towns up, well when the place he worked shut down we where just sitting on the beach drinking a few beers and the cops showed up, most of us where wearing nothing but a pair of shorts but myself and another guy had our wallets , so the cops wrote two tickets and said we all should chip in on them ( drinking in public is a expensive ticket ) I asked how in the hell at 4 am ( when not a soul was around ) was it in public, but that was how they would ticket you for drinking on the beach, nope no signs ( at that time anyway ) saying no alcohol on the beach ) but if you got caught drinking it is was drinking in public, but even with that law everyone always had a great time at the beach.

We used to hang out under the bridge on Old Cutler Rd in Miami. :laugh: Back in my day, if you thought about that kind of crap every other guy in the bunch would be buying tickets to who got to throw you in the canal AFTER you got beat down so bad it wasn't funny.

What ever happened to honor?

Kathianne
05-15-2015, 08:26 AM
Weird ephiphany! Somehow reading Gunny's and Tyr's posts about their pasts, the whole idea of 'caged' kids vs. 'free-range' kids is called to mind.

Notice these 'kids' (ages 18-23 in the main), throw on their beachwear, sandals, cell, ipad, and may grab a towel from their hotel room and hit the beach. Literally all the thought they have to put in.

Beer and entertainment venues provide all the drinks, food, music, etc. No thought needed. Likely the first few hours in the morning and early afternoon are fine with the kids drinking, dancing, volleyball, perhaps even some swimming and just catching rays.

Later, when the entertainment grows old, they're bored. Trouble happens.

Really it's a continuation of all they've experienced of life thus far; with the exception that they are now responsible for their actions-except it seems in PC. They never had an opportunity to plan a summer day from morning to night. Never had to pull a 'team' together to play a pick up game. Never had been in a position of needing to be aware of their environment, sensing a predator. Always 'responsible adults' present for when boredom or possible dangers set in.

Gunny
05-15-2015, 08:48 AM
Weird ephiphany! Somehow reading Gunny's and Tyr's posts about their pasts, the whole idea of 'caged' kids vs. 'free-range' kids is called to mind.

Notice these 'kids' (ages 18-23 in the main), throw on their beachwear, sandals, cell, ipad, and may grab a towel from their hotel room and hit the beach. Literally all the thought they have to put in.

Beer and entertainment venues provide all the drinks, food, music, etc. No thought needed. Likely the first few hours in the morning and early afternoon are fine with the kids drinking, dancing, volleyball, perhaps even some swimming and just catching rays.

Later, when the entertainment grows old, they're bored. Trouble happens.

Really it's a continuation of all they've experienced of life thus far; with the exception that they are now responsible for their actions-except it seems in PC. They never had an opportunity to plan a summer day from morning to night. Never had to pull a 'team' together to play a pick up game. Never had been in a position of needing to be aware of their environment, sensing a predator. Always 'responsible adults' present for when boredom or possible dangers set in.

I DO have an advantage. I was raised in the military in the height of the Cold War. I was trained by a military man to be a warrior from day one. We all thought it was our duty to serve. Kids nowadays don't. "Someone else will do it". My entire childhood, and my friends -- I wasn't lonely in the boat -- was we were going to graduate and go to Vietnam. There wasn't a question. Until Walter Cronkite -- the MSM -- declared we couldn't win.

It's about responsibilty and honor vs feeling entitled. Commitment to something greater than one's self. Our society and kids have lost that. People like Obama have convinced them they deserve crap just for being born.

Then you can factor in the media. SO many idiots believe what they have to say. People don't think for themselves anymore. They just believe what TV and the internet tells them. Journalism's a game. And it's simple. Lead the reader to believe what you want them to. And the sheep follow right along.

red state
05-15-2015, 09:03 AM

SPOT ON, JEFF! I was thinking the same thing. I truly believe kids today are STUPID! We had parties under bridges and such and never once burned the bridge down or did EVER a woman get raped.....or left to the mosquitoes if she passed out. Having said this......I believe it is more to do with MORALS than stupidity. We have kids today that think it would be Kool to burn the bridge and cause every cop in the State to watch for that and ruin it for EVERYONE. I don't want to sound libertarian and I don't really side with the stiff necked Republicans either. This is truly a tough nut to crack and I believe the problem stems from parents. We've tried to ban alcohol on a National level and it didn't work....it is the "PEOPLE" who need to be banned and I suppose this goes for those for and against marijuana.

In Kathy's defense, the beach is for all and nobody wants someone smoking near children. We don't allow it at ball parks and we shouldn't allow it on the beach. My only "stupid" solution for now is designated beaches (which they may have....I don't know). My family goes to Universal Studios most every year and love to visit Melbourne Beach in the process. The only crap we've encountered was not on the beach but at Universal Studios with a bunch of VERY foul mouthed 'boys' a few years ago in one of the restaurants (when my kids were much younger). As is the norm in such cases, these youthful liberal scum were unsupervised (until I spoke up) so (IF) there are designated beaches.....I've only seen it in Cocoa Beach (which I don't like because mostly military and college punks crowd that beach and it is an inferior beach to Melbourne).

Heck, I say ban radios more than anything. We were on a Gulf Beach (Orange or Merimar I believe) and some gal comes up and starts blasting folks with her crap music. Next thing I know, some good ole boy next to her blasts her right back with country music. It was quite for a while after that but soon enough, she started irritating everyone again with her CRAP. I told my wife: "What idiot messes up the entire mood of the waves rolling in and sounds of the gulls by bringing a friggin' radio to a beach?! It shouldn't be allowed.....and I'm not a Big Sis or Big Bro kind.

Gunny
05-15-2015, 09:10 AM
SPOT ON, JEFF! I was thinking the same thing. I truly believe kids today are STUPID! We had parties under bridges and such and never once burned the bridge down or did EVER a woman get raped.....or left to the mosquitoes if she passed out. Having said this......I believe it is more to do with MORALS than stupidity. We have kids today that think it would be Kool to burn the bridge and cause every cop in the State to watch for that and ruin it for EVERYONE. I don't want to sound libertarian and I don't really side with the stiff necked Republicans either. This is truly a tough nut to crack and I believe the problem stems from parents. We've tried to ban alcohol on a National level and it didn't work....it is the "PEOPLE" who need to be banned and I suppose this goes for those for and against marijuana.

In Kathy's defense, the beach is for all and nobody wants someone smoking near children. We don't allow it at ball parks and we shouldn't allow it on the beach. My only "stupid" solution for now is designated beaches (which they may have....I don't know). My family goes to Universal Studios most every year and love to visit Melbourne Beach in the process. The only crap we've encountered was not on the beach but at Universal Studios with a bunch of VERY foul mouthed 'boys' a few years ago in one of the restaurants (when my kids were much younger). As is the norm in such cases, these youthful liberal scum were unsupervised (until I spoke up) so (IF) there are designated beaches.....I've only seen it in Cocoa Beach (which I don't like because mostly military and college punks crowd that beach and it is an inferior beach to Melbourne).

Heck, I say ban radios more than anything. We were on a Gulf Beach (Orange or Merimar I believe) and some gal comes up and starts blasting folks with her crap music. Next thing I know, some good ole boy next to her blasts her right back with country music. It was quite for a while after that but soon enough, she started irritating everyone again with her CRAP. I told my wife: "What idiot messes up the entire mood of the waves rolling in and sounds of the gulls by bringing a friggin' radio to a beach?! It shouldn't be allowed.....and I'm not a Big Sis or Big Bro kind.

I was almost going to rep you until I read the smoking thing. That's bullshit.

Who's trying to control who here?

Kathianne
05-15-2015, 09:19 AM
I DO have an advantage. I was raised in the military in the height of the Cold War. I was trained by a military man to be a warrior from day one. We all thought it was our duty to serve. Kids nowadays don't. "Someone else will do it". My entire childhood, and my friends -- I wasn't lonely in the boat -- was we were going to graduate and go to Vietnam. There wasn't a question. Until Walter Cronkite -- the MSM -- declared we couldn't win.

It's about responsibilty and honor vs feeling entitled. Commitment to something greater than one's self. Our society and kids have lost that. People like Obama have convinced them they deserve crap just for being born.

Then you can factor in the media. SO many idiots believe what they have to say. People don't think for themselves anymore. They just believe what TV and the internet tells them. Journalism's a game. And it's simple. Lead the reader to believe what you want them to. And the sheep follow right along.

I bet kids being raised today in the same place where you were aren't all that different than you were. It seems military parents have one up on most today, as far as their kids go.

When I was raising my kids, in the same town I grew up in, I tried to give them some of the freedoms I'd had. There was no way though that I could let them go without knowing where they were for hours at a time-even then it would have been considered 'neglect.' They are in or near their 30's now, it's not gotten better.

My kids were always in some programs from birth. While I was then cognizant of the problems of over schedualing and too much 'planned time,' I did want them to have early interactions with other adults and kids. Pretty typical of educated parents of the time, without going overboard in having their entire childhood being a series of planned activity to planned activity.

What I did catch flak for was having them walk to school rather than driving or walking with them. Even then I thought that kids needed to figure out how to get to someplace on time, without putting the responsibility on someone else. They were not late after a couple of tardies. They got in trouble at school and at home. Meanwhile they had the experience of crossing streets, having time to talk with their siblings, and think their own thoughts. Kids need time 'adult free' in my opinion.

We were lucky in that the neighborhood had predominately stay at home moms, perhaps not by coincidence by the time the kids were 8 or so, it was the norm for the kids to go to a local park on their bikes, sans mothers. They often brought soccer, baseball equipment, or basketballs with them. When an adult would show up near the park, which happened twice, they all came home together. They sensed, right or wrong, a possible problem.
They were developing ways to work together and each learning to identify possible threats to both individuals and their group. I've no doubt that they were also learning to compromise on activities, without adults deciding what they should do. Kids learn from one another, while also learning their own strengths and weaknesses.

This just isn't possible when adults are in charge of all activities. Kids don't develop the same skill sets or even realistic self-knowledge. They carry into early adulthood a false image of their own selves and the world around them.

Max R.
05-15-2015, 11:39 AM
Agreed more of the blame is on the local government; specifically, as others have mentioned, not enough police to help nip any problems in the bud.

Next spring, when revenues go down, maybe the city will realize a slight increase in taxes to pay for better police are preferable to a flat-out business loss of revenue.

In someways I see this as similar to a store limiting their hours during Christmas because they don't want to pay overtime. Penny wise, Pound foolish.

Trigg
05-15-2015, 12:30 PM

I don't think they care. I used to live down there and the cities get tired of the extra police manpower needed to control the crowds. When I was there Daytona was the place to be, they cracked down and everyone moved the Clearwater. Panama City is just the latest city to get tired of the BS that goes on during Spring Break.

You have to realize that these cities have to please their full time residents and the regular tourists. By enacting tougher rules regarding how many can stay in one hotel room and banning alcohol it gets rid of the majority of troubles makers.

Gunny
05-15-2015, 02:31 PM
I don't think they care. I used to live down there and the cities get tired of the extra police manpower needed to control the crowds. When I was there Daytona was the place to be, they cracked down and everyone moved the Clearwater. Panama City is just the latest city to get tired of the BS that goes on during Spring Break.

You have to realize that these cities have to please their full time residents and the regular tourists. By enacting tougher rules regarding how many can stay in one hotel room and banning alcohol it gets rid of the majority of troubles makers.

Actually, we just moved to Ormond Beach. Eight miles north of Daytona and lots cheaper. I had toddlers. I wasn't taking them around those ratty-ass bikers. Me hanging out with them as a teenager and their behavior around my daughts are 2 VERY different things.

Max R.
05-15-2015, 03:23 PM

These rules appear to only limit beach activity, but agreed on the point that they don't want the "Spring Break" business if they have full time residents and don't like the disruption.

Having living in Florida for many years myself, I know some towns and cities are more dependent on tourist dollars than others. Panama City is obviously free to choose their course with this.

Max R.
05-15-2015, 03:42 PM
Actually, we just moved to Ormond Beach. Eight miles north of Daytona and lots cheaper. I had toddlers. I wasn't taking them around those ratty-ass bikers. Me hanging out with them as a teenager and their behavior around my daughts are 2 VERY different things.
LOL. Funny how that works!

Jeff
05-15-2015, 04:02 PM

LOL. Funny how that works!

Those Ratty ass Bikers cause less trouble than the college kids ever did. The last year I went to Daytona for Bike week they had cops from other states working it, there was basically 1 cop for every 2 bikers ( or so it seemed )

Yes there are those that act like a ass and get arrested during Bike week, but if you look at the stats the bikers do better as a whole than most large groups.

OOO and the last year I was there, the big arrest I seen made everywhere you looked, was the girl popping a titty out, yup I guess they could of blinded someone with those pointy things, and that year was the last year I went because there where 2 ( that I know of ) bikers that where murdered by the police, one from the neighborhood another I think from Michigan. The boy I knew was a Diamond cutter, he had diamonds in his front teeth before the rappers made it cool, he was a good looking kid that owner 5 Harley and a beautiful Corvette ( he was also big into Karate ) but the police told his Mom he committed suicide, make a long story short she hired a PI and won a bunch of money, the other guy was supposedly reaching for his legally owner and carried firearm, in a holster on his left side, the bullet went through his heart but no injury to the hand reaching over the heart nor was there powder residue or anything else, I imagine his family is wealthy now a days as well.

red state
05-15-2015, 04:04 PM
I was almost going to rep you until I read the smoking thing. That's bullshit.

Who's trying to control who here?

No rep needed, Gunny, and I appreciate the candidness (as usual). In fact, this is the very reason I have pulled you out of my "ignore" list. I respect such words whether joking or not and will now respond to what you actually wrote:

I agree that it is BULL$#!T because I like a pipe (probably too much) but as you or any of us know, some folks don't know how to act and we've all seen where they blow smoke where an infant or child is without having any common courtesy or sense. I've not witnessed this BUT I'm sure there are places or times where not only vulgarity but extreme profanity and POT SMOKING was corrupting some lil' child or infant.

What is the parent to do......MOVE if they've been there before some S#!T @SS comes in smoking pot and F'n this and F'n that every sentence? Talk about something escalating.....WOW!

By the way.....you'v earned at least three of these for standing your ground on the REP-o-Meter. :clap::clap::clap:

It is gray areas and although it shouldn'ty be if anyone had any common sense anymore...but they don't. Heck, it bothers the heck out of me when I see a boy spit in from of an old lady......or any lady. That just aint right.

Jeff
05-15-2015, 04:11 PM
No rep needed, Gunny, and I appreciate the candidness (as usual). In fact, this is the very reason I have pulled you out of my "ignore" list. I respect such words whether joking or not and will now respond to what you actually wrote:

I agree that it is BULL$#!T because I like a pipe (probably too much) but as you or any of us know, some folks don't know how to act and we've all seen where they blow smoke where an infant or child is without having any common courtesy or sense. I've not witnessed this BUT I'm sure there are places or times where not only vulgarity but extreme profanity and POT SMOKING was corrupting some lil' child or infant.

What is the parent to do......MOVE if they've been there before some S#!T @SS comes in smoking pot and F'n this and F'n that every sentence? Talk about something escalating.....WOW!

By the way.....you'v earned at least three of these for standing your ground on the REP-o-Meter. :clap::clap::clap:

It is gray areas and although it shouldn'ty be if anyone had any common sense anymore...but they don't. Heck, it bothers the heck out of me when I see a boy spit in from of an old lady......or any lady. That just aint right.

I agree with both of ya here, smoking outside shouldn't be banned, but then again if I want to smoke and have a family sitting close to me ( kids or no kids ) I will make sure to move to a place where I am not forcing anyone to breath my second hand smoke in, but yes I have seen punks not give a dam about anyone, those I say let the parents of the kid handle, the punks usually aren't to much to take care of, if they has enough respect to be tough then they would of had enough respect to respect others.

red state
05-15-2015, 04:13 PM
What I see is these so-called "kids" have no sense of personal responsibility. A[[arently, Spring Break is now code for I can be an idiot and no one can blame me.

They can be an idiot and not a thing can be done about it (until something is done about it). I'd rather the law be that buffer than me get arrested because I did do something about it and probably much worse than what the parents of the so-called "kids" have no sense of personal responsibility should have done.

I agree that we have too many laws, too many cops and poke our nose into too many wars but what would you suggest? I the beaches are cluttered with cig butts, beer cans, needles and condoms.......something has to be done. I suppose this is where I draw the line and will never be able to truly join the Libertarians (and I'm not calling you one of those btw).

Truly......Gunny, what would you suggest. I'd say shoot the BASTAGES who hit on a 13 year old daughter/granddaughter, blow smoke in their face, spit tobacco juice on them or worse but that'd really mess the PEACE on the BEACH. Ha!!!!

red state
05-15-2015, 04:15 PM
I agree with both of ya here, smoking outside shouldn't be banned, but then again if I want to smoke and have a family sitting close to me ( kids or no kids ) I will make sure to move to a place where I am not forcing anyone to breath my second hand smoke in, but yes I have seen punks not give a dam about anyone, those I say let the parents of the kid handle, the punks usually aren't to much to take care of, if they has enough respect to be tough then they would of had enough respect to respect others.

U just got REPPED!!!!

and FIVE of These:

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

red state
05-15-2015, 04:22 PM

EXACTLY Jeff, and like most of America's problems, it is the SILENCE that has caused much of what we're dealing with today.

I've told this before on DP but we were at Bay Springs enjoying the beach and swimming when my youngest daughter was 10 or so and a group of teens came out to the deep end and was talking awful and started to "display" a type of love that shouldn't be displayed in public so I LOUDLY and AGGRESSIVELY voice my opinion. They looked as though I were MAD and had never heard such a thing. I truly believe that they had NEVER been taught any better but they were certainly going to learn something that day cuz there were no cops, it was very deep and the shore was FAR away.....and I swim like a freakin' fish (even though I do enjoy a pipe....without a filter.....and do inhale). HA!!!!!

Jeff, I like Dennis Miller and agree with him most of the time but he said something to the effect that Christians are going to have to learn to stiffle their opinion (or something along that line) and I thought (NO) that is exactly why we're in the mess we're in!!!!! We need to voice our opinion in the stores, at church and on the freakin' BEACHES. Perhaps that is part of Gunny's solution (but it doesn't always work so flawlessly).

Gunny
05-15-2015, 04:27 PM

I don't disagree with anything you said and the bolded hits the nail in the head.

And, ma'am, I'm a Southern boy. That being vulgar in front of women crap don't sail 'round my parts. ;)

Gunny
05-15-2015, 04:32 PM

I smoke outside out of courtesy to others. But back in the day when I used to frequent "watering holes" it kind of irritated me that drunk off their ass morons would complain about smoking, then get into a thousand pound missile and go speeding down the road with one eye shut.

Or the 300+ lb woman who was the biggest advocate of non-smoking in South Texas. Your ass is going to choke on Twinkies before you EVER die of second hand smoke.

red state
05-15-2015, 04:34 PM
Gunny, I actually believe that some (very few) of these punks feel that it is a compliment to hit on your woman....not all but some. Mostly, it is an act of disrespect and I don't tolerate it either and have had to restrain myself when I see it happen.

I believe it was a year or two ago in Walmart that three non-white guys commented how "fine" this smaller young white guy's wife was. I thought, son, u ain't gonna say anything.......NOPE. he just acted as though he hadn't heard a thing (which is another reason more white gals are looking to non-white guys for a REAL man). That's just my take on it anyway.

Still, folks today have NOT been taught right from wrong and America is suffering for it.

Gunny
05-15-2015, 04:42 PM
What I see is these so-called "kids" have no sense of personal responsibility. A[[arently, Spring Break is now code for I can be an idiot and no one can blame me.

They can be an idiot and not a thing can be done about it (until something is done about it). I'd rather the law be that buffer than me get arrested because I did do something about it and probably much worse than what the parents of the so-called "kids" have no sense of personal responsibility should have done.

I agree that we have too many laws, too many cops and poke our nose into too many wars but what would you suggest? I the beaches are cluttered with cig butts, beer cans, needles and condoms.......something has to be done. I suppose this is where I draw the line and will never be able to truly join the Libertarians (and I'm not calling you one of those btw).

Truly......Gunny, what would you suggest. I'd say shoot the BASTAGES who hit on a 13 year old daughter/granddaughter, blow smoke in their face, spit tobacco juice on them or worse but that'd really mess the PEACE on the BEACH. Ha!!!!

You asked.:laugh:

It starts at home. And in our schools. And with our society and the media. I've been on most every beach in FL, TX and CA. Not to mention a few in SE Asia and the ME. Oh, and the Med and the Black Sea. We were responsible for our beer cans and butts. The needles and condoms I guess are after my time.

I have NO problem with policing it. I DO have a problem with shutting it down for everyone for the actions of the minority. Why in this country does EVERYONE have to suffer because of some idiots? And THAT is EXACTLY how we legislate. Punish the majority for the sake of the minority. "I'm so afraid to call a drug dealer a drug dealer because he's black I'll just let him in." Screw that.

There are 3 ways into Panama City. That crap can be stopped from the start. And maybe some parents need to learn to say "no".

Gunny
05-15-2015, 04:48 PM
EXACTLY Jeff, and like most of America's problems, it is the SILENCE that has caused much of what we're dealing with today.

I've told this before on DP but we were at Bay Springs enjoying the beach and swimming when my youngest daughter was 10 or so and a group of teens came out to the deep end and was talking awful and started to "display" a type of love that shouldn't be displayed in public so I LOUDLY and AGGRESSIVELY voice my opinion. They looked as though I were MAD and had never heard such a thing. I truly believe that they had NEVER been taught any better but they were certainly going to learn something that day cuz there were no cops, it was very deep and the shore was FAR away.....and I swim like a freakin' fish (even though I do enjoy a pipe....without a filter.....and do inhale). HA!!!!!

Jeff, I like Dennis Miller and agree with him most of the time but he said something to the effect that Christians are going to have to learn to stiffle their opinion (or something along that line) and I thought (NO) that is exactly why we're in the mess we're in!!!!! We need to voice our opinion in the stores, at church and on the freakin' BEACHES. Perhaps that is part of Gunny's solution (but it doesn't always work so flawlessly).

It never works flawlessly. You can destroy an entire argument with facts, logic and common sense and the same idiot that started the thread will just go start another with an altered title and pretend you never said a word.

But who's to blame? The idiots? Or the people that just get burned out making the same argument over and over and the idiots never get it? That's the simple version of "Left vs Right" in this country. The right's too busy, has too many responsibilities to just keep repeating ourselves to deaf ears.

LongTermGuy
05-15-2015, 05:17 PM
It never works flawlessly. You can destroy an entire argument with facts, logic and common sense and the same idiot that started the thread will just go start another with an altered title and pretend you never said a word.

But who's to blame? The idiots? Or the people that just get burned out making the same argument over and over and the idiots never get it? That's the simple version of "Left vs Right" in this country. The right's too busy, has too many responsibilities to just keep repeating ourselves to deaf ears.

....Every body has Opinions and many have facts and logic...and some dont...so what...we all can make intelligent choices on how we respond...ignore or at least be civil........Jeff started this thread and I don't consider him an Idiot..... Everybody / many try to post `something` to keep this site going and we all dont always agree with one another and each others views....but should try to do the best we can and keep posting ....or we can all shut shut up in fear...afraid of what might be said...and let the site die because of pure boredom.....Lets just try and keep it a fun place.....something posted / someone I dont like....I usually ignore.(unless they come at me)....
...or just give a thanks for the hell of it...and move to another story
:beer:

red state
05-15-2015, 05:35 PM
You asked.:laugh:

It starts at home. And in our schools. And with our society and the media. I've been on most every beach in FL, TX and CA. Not to mention a few in SE Asia and the ME. Oh, and the Med and the Black Sea. We were responsible for our beer cans and butts. The needles and condoms I guess are after my time.

I have NO problem with policing it. I DO have a problem with shutting it down for everyone for the actions of the minority. Why in this country does EVERYONE have to suffer because of some idiots? And THAT is EXACTLY how we legislate. Punish the majority for the sake of the minority. "I'm so afraid to call a drug dealer a drug dealer because he's black I'll just let him in." Screw that.

There are 3 ways into Panama City. That crap can be stopped from the start. And maybe some parents need to learn to say "no".

I agree pretty much [BUT] believe we all must suffer sometimes to correct a wrong. Malls, for example; my kids have always been absolutely great kids but our malls (and rightly so) have had a curfew on occasions (may still have one) but this is their decision and the town folks of Spring Break areas have the same say-so in my opinion.

I've used this before and stand by it. It has much to do with what Gunny just illuminated so here it goes (AGAIN). In Mississippi (a FREE, Right to Carry openly and/or concealed) has some stupid laws that punish ALL for a few bad apples. In this law, you could be ticketed or WORSE for having a loaded gun in your vehicle during deer season (for a good example to explain this law). I never abided by that law because some are meant to be ignored if they trump the 2nd Amendment. Would I have gotten a ticket or WORSE if I had been caught.......you betcha, but I'd be standing for my rights.

If you want to stand your ground and smoke or drink within a ball park or on school grounds.....do so. If you decide to carry your fire arm or bow to work with you to work during deer season.....you have that right (but you'll pay the price for standing up for your rights). Heck, I've always ignored these laws and refuse to "register" my firearms or file for a "PERMISSION" slip to carry and I'll have to pay for that decision some day but I'll be damned if I let a few bad apples dictate my rights as an American. Still, we have rules to follow.....one simply needs to ask oneself how badly he wants to smoke, drink or curse in front of children.

I suppose the bottom line is this: It is all gray areas that should be BLACK & WHITE so it sometimes takes a 'ref' to tell us what kind of ball to use or how full of air it needs to be. Everyone has "one" and everyone's $#!T stinks but that doesn't mean you should be allowed to "deposit the goods" wherever you feel FREE to do so. We have the Occupy Movement and other puke liberals for that.

No editing here....just shootin' from the hip so don't be too serious with everything I've said. Much of it has my own mind questioning what I wrote but it does flow from the heart so I'll let it be for now.

Jeff
05-16-2015, 01:11 AM

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://video.foxnews.com/v/embed.js?id=4235446624001&w=466&h=263"></script><iframe src="//video.foxnews.com/v/video-embed.html?video_id=4235446624001&loc=debatepolicy.com&ref=about%3A%2F%2F" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" height="263" width="466"></iframe><noscript>Watch the latest video at video.foxnews.com (http://video.foxnews.com)</noscript>

....Every body has Opinions and many have facts and logic...and some dont...so what...we all can make intelligent choices on how we respond...ignore or at least be civil........Jeff started this thread and I don't consider him an Idiot..... Everybody / many try to post `something` to keep this site going and we all dont always agree with one another and each others views....but should try to do the best we can and keep posting ....or we can all shut shut up in fear...afraid of what might be said...and let the site die because of pure boredom.....Lets just try and keep it a fun place.....something posted / someone I dont like....I usually ignore.(unless they come at me)....
...or just give a thanks for the hell of it...and move to another story
:beer:

If one takes the time to see the first post it has to do with the Bikers coming to town and alcohol being allowed on the beach, it was to show how although the bikers always get the bad attention , that isn't always the case, and also how alcohol on the beach isn't the problem !