PDA

View Full Version : A place everyone should visit

Abbey Marie
05-15-2015, 11:26 AM
We just got back from our cruise to Capri and Rome. I won't bore anyone with details, but I did want to say that you owe it to yourself, if you can, to visit the Vatican once in your lifetime. The museums are pretty indescribable.

If you love art or history, or antiquities, or all of the above, it is going to knock your socks off. You certainly don't have to be Catholic to appreciate it, but if you are Christian, the faith portrayed in the artwork will make you feel great. It certainly did for me. If you are Catholic, you must go!

One word on Rome/Italy in general: It was such a pleasure to be in a country that is proud of its faith. Churches are everywhere. Our guide always described BC artwork/architecture as "Before Christ". No one says just "BC". So different-feeling from our currently PC, Christian-phobic country.

darin
05-15-2015, 11:40 AM
pics or it never happened, hotstuff.

Trigg
05-15-2015, 12:45 PM
We just got back from our cruise to Capri and Rome. I won't bore anyone with details, but I did want to say that you owe it to yourself, if you can, to visit the Vatican once in your lifetime. The museums are pretty indescribable.

If you love art or history, or antiquities, or all of the above, it is going to knock your socks off. You certainly don't have to be Catholic to appreciate it, but if you are Christian, the faith portrayed in the artwork will make you feel great. It certainly did for me. If you are Catholic, you must go!

One word on Rome/Italy in general: It was such a pleasure to be in a country that is proud of its faith. Churches are everywhere. Our guide always described BC artwork/architecture as "Before Christ". No one says just "BC". So different-feeling from our currently PC, Christian-phobic country.

I was there about 6 years ago, amazing place. Glad you had a good visit.

aboutime
05-15-2015, 01:55 PM

Did you get to the Colosseum, and Trevi Fountain (sic)? (Three coins fame)? I noticed how nearly every pair of doors to the many churches are all GOLD! We'll wait for the pics.

Abbey Marie
05-15-2015, 06:27 PM
We did get to the Colosseum. Trevi fountain was unfortunately closed for repairs, but there is so much to see, it did not matter.

I'm working on pics. :cool:

aboutime
05-15-2015, 07:29 PM
We did get to the Colosseum. Trevi fountain was unfortunately closed for repairs, but ther is so much to see, it did not matter.

Abbey. I also forgot to ask if you managed to visit the CLOISTERS? Not many know about them, but I do remember we spent about an hour there, just outside of Rome. A strange, spine-tingling place where Pre-Christ Romans were placed on carved-out, stone shelves as their final resting place after being prepared to be preserved for their long rest. While I was there. I managed to get a Medalion of Pope John 23rd...before he passed. Wish I could go back. So much to see. Good luck.

Jeff
05-16-2015, 01:17 AM
Welcome back Abbey, and I am glad you had a great time, but I agree with dmp, pics are required. :laugh:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-16-2015, 05:54 AM
My friend welcome back , safe and sound I must presume.
I trust that it was a magnificent experience and a joy to hold in dear memory forever!-Tyr

LongTermGuy
05-17-2015, 06:11 PM

*Hey.... Look forward to them Abbey .....and the hidden memories they will bring me.

Max R.
05-18-2015, 07:33 PM
We did get to the Colosseum. Trevi fountain was unfortunately closed for repairs, but there is so much to see, it did not matter.

While I had to opportunity to visit many great sites around Mediterranean countries during my tour on Grey Hull Cruiselines, one regret is that I never saw Rome. The Colosseum being my first site of interest. I did see Naples and had the "thrill" of riding as a right, front seat passenger in a taxi, there wasn't much to see. I didn't even see Pompeii nor Mt. Vesuvius...although some flying friends almost screwed themselves flying a helo inside the crater.

My wife wants to see Paris and, aside from annoying Frenchmen, I wouldn't mind seeing the Eiffel Tower. If we ever go, maybe we'll take the EuroRail down to Rome.

Abbey Marie
05-18-2015, 11:19 PM
While I had to opportunity to visit many great sites around Mediterranean countries during my tour on Grey Hull Cruiselines, one regret is that I never saw Rome. The Colosseum being my first site of interest. I did see Naples and had the "thrill" of riding as a right, front seat passenger in a taxi, there wasn't much to see. I didn't even see Pompeii nor Mt. Vesuvius...although some flying friends almost screwed themselves flying a helo inside the crater.

My wife wants to see Paris and, aside from annoying Frenchmen, I wouldn't mind seeing the Eiffel Tower. If we ever go, maybe we'll take the EuroRail down to Rome.

Hi Max,
If you love ancient history, you must go. :cool:

Kathianne
05-19-2015, 05:07 AM
Hi Max,
If you love ancient history, you must go. :cool:

I'm so jealous! I too want to see some pics, but more want to hear your impressions of the sites, people, and of course food!

Abbey Marie
05-19-2015, 01:37 PM
I need to get the pics on the computer, and I am battling a virus. (Human, not computer). My husband took most of them, so I don't know the quality. But I would love to show some of them anyway.