PDA

View Full Version : Pay attention to history

WiccanLiberal
05-16-2015, 11:03 AM
I am watching a history channel thing about Andrew Jackson. I recall that my American History teacher in senor year was a great admirer of this man. She would, with the exception of Washington, tear apart every single occupant of the White House, pointing out their bad points along with the good. With Jackson, I recall she was quite adamant that while Jackson was an anti Indian bigot, she had a profound admiration for a man who was able to do great things in the White House and was unapologetic about his shortcomings. He was the only president to pay off the national debt - ever. He even had the government running a surplus. True, it didn't last long but that is a major accomplishment. Oh yeah, and secession. South Carolina threatened to secede over a taxation issue. He threatened to send in troops and hang the ringleaders. And reportedly said that the next pretext for secession would be slavery. I wonder if we had a truly Jacksonian candidate running to day, how many would support him/her.

Oh yeah, Washington was exempt from her criticism because she figured he had the roughest job creating a role that had never existed before. No precedents and and no guide to go by.

Gunny
05-16-2015, 12:49 PM
I am watching a history channel thing about Andrew Jackson. I recall that my American History teacher in senor year was a great admirer of this man. She would, with the exception of Washington, tear apart every single occupant of the White House, pointing out their bad points along with the good. With Jackson, I recall she was quite adamant that while Jackson was an anti Indian bigot, she had a profound admiration for a man who was able to do great things in the White House and was unapologetic about his shortcomings. He was the only president to pay off the national debt - ever. He even had the government running a surplus. True, it didn't last long but that is a major accomplishment. Oh yeah, and secession. South Carolina threatened to secede over a taxation issue. He threatened to send in troops and hang the ringleaders. And reportedly said that the next pretext for secession would be slavery. I wonder if we had a truly Jacksonian candidate running to day, how many would support him/her.

Oh yeah, Washington was exempt from her criticism because she figured he had the roughest job creating a role that had never existed before. No precedents and and no guide to go by.

Jackson and John Quincy Adams ran smear campaigns today's politicians would be proud of. They truly hated each other.

However, what I NEVER see are people being judged by the times they lived in. Just knee jerk reactions to words. None of the people then could run today. Lincoln would be a lefty which is odd him being the first Republican President. Nixon would be a Dem, for sure. He was as bad as Obama instituting federal authority. Nationwide 55 mph speed limit anyone?

The list goes on. But it is unfair, unobjective and unrealistic to judge them out of their time.

WiccanLiberal
05-16-2015, 01:52 PM
The thing about Jackson is that he truly seemed to want to help the people he perceived as the average Americans. He never backed down from a position he saw as right. I just wonder how many people now would support a person who championed the kind of positions he did. Government spending would be slashed and which programs would be cut first. And yeah, political skirmishes were a whole heckuva lot more fun back then. Dirty political campaigns are truly American.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-16-2015, 03:49 PM
Pay no attention to history= doomed to repeat it, disasters and all.
History teaches the truth of that easily enough....
Tis' why our schools fail to teach it adequately.... -Tyr