PDA

View Full Version : Govt orders Amtrak to use train-control system to slow trains in Philly crash area

Little-Acorn
05-16-2015, 05:47 PM
There is apparently a system that notifies the engineer when a train is going too fast for an approaching curve. And if he doesn't slow the train down manually, the system automatically applies the brakes and slow it down.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

But I have a few questions.

Did the government tell them up until now, NOT to use the system?

Did Amtrak really have to be TOLD to use this system?

And last but not least....

The last sentence I quoted from the article below, says the system is already being used on southbound trains on that track. So this tells me that all the equipment needed, was already in place. The money had been spent, the equipment bought and installed, and it was already being used... but only on trains going south. Why was it not being used on northbound trains?

------------------------------------------------------------

http://news.yahoo.com/fbi-looks-shattered-glass-twist-derailment-063637076.html

Amtrak told to expand speed control at deadly crash site

Associated Press
By RON TODT
53 minutes ago

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Federal officials announced Saturday that Amtrak must immediately expand its use of a speed restriction system on Philadelphia's northbound rails where a speeding train reached 106 mph, flew off the tracks and crashed, killing eight people.

The Federal Railroad Administration said an emergency order would be issued in coming days that calls for Amtrak to ensure the presence of the automatic train control system that notifies an engineer when a train is above the speed limit and automatically applies the brakes if the engineer doesn't act to slow the train down.

The system is already being used for southbound trains approaching the curve where Tuesday's derailment occurred.

DLT
05-16-2015, 09:41 PM
There is apparently a system that notifies the engineer when a train is going too fast for an approaching curve. And if he doesn't slow the train down manually, the system automatically applies the brakes and slow it down.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

But I have a few questions.

Did the government tell them up until now, NOT to use the system?

Did Amtrak really have to be TOLD to use this system?

And last but not least....

The last sentence I quoted from the article below, says the system is already being used on southbound trains on that track. So this tells me that all the equipment needed, was already in place. The money had been spent, the equipment bought and installed, and it was already being used... but only on trains going south. Why was it not being used on northbound trains?

------------------------------------------------------------

http://news.yahoo.com/fbi-looks-shattered-glass-twist-derailment-063637076.html

Amtrak told to expand speed control at deadly crash site

Associated Press
By RON TODT
53 minutes ago

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Federal officials announced Saturday that Amtrak must immediately expand its use of a speed restriction system on Philadelphia's northbound rails where a speeding train reached 106 mph, flew off the tracks and crashed, killing eight people.

The Federal Railroad Administration said an emergency order would be issued in coming days that calls for Amtrak to ensure the presence of the automatic train control system that notifies an engineer when a train is above the speed limit and automatically applies the brakes if the engineer doesn't act to slow the train down.

The system is already being used for southbound trains approaching the curve where Tuesday's derailment occurred.

It's a mystery, except for the fact that it's a liberal-run city....so the money for the equipment was probably spent on some Democrat's re-election.

Jeff
05-16-2015, 11:00 PM
I know as in the trucking industry where they have special governors and things to make the truck run the way they want there is always away around it, they have you keep logs 24/7 and you must have the last 7 days on you at all times but yet even though most weeks I drove anywhere from 3 to 6000 miles ( home on most weekends ) my logs where always spot on, not one ticket in all those years for a log book violation. I have seen trucks ( had one or two myself ) that where governed say to run no faster than 78 mph but yet my trucks always could would and did turn triple digits ( if ya aren't rolling you aren't earning and there is no reason for me to be away from my family for nothing )

We had the dreaded black boxes in the trucks at the last company I drove for, yup and when I was out of hours I unpluged it, all you had to do was remember to unplug and replug the box and it showed my week at a perfect 70 hours every week. There is always away around things.I worked for a company in SC that had the old tattle tale box in it, the only way to get your bonus was to score like 98% or better on the box everyday, well hell if I pulled a extra load everyday it was 3 times the bonus so every truck they gave me the Tattle tale box ( rat computer , LOL ) happen to break.