PDA

View Full Version : Amtrak crash reignites Capitol Hill debate over infrastructure spending, burden of se

Jeff
05-17-2015, 06:46 AM
OK #1 I thought they have concluded the driver of the train was going double the safe speed, #2 Wasn't Obama taking care of the infrastructure 6 years ago ? If I remember correctly he wasn't only fixing the infrastructure but he was going to kill unemployment and lift the economy, but yet here we are 7 years later arguing that the infrastructure needs fixing. :rolleyes: Yes if you remember back to a little thing called the Stimulus, it was going to fix the infrastructure.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://video.foxnews.com/v/embed.js?id=4240253563001&w=466&h=263"></script><noscript>Watch the latest video at <a href="http://video.foxnews.com">video.foxnews.com</a></noscript>

House Speaker John Boehner was having none of it Thursday morning.
Ginger Gibson of the International Business Times attempted to question the Ohio Republican at a press conference about the Amtrak accident and funding. We’ll never know exactly what Gibson wanted to ask. The typically-courtly speaker cut off Gibson just words into her interrogatory.
“That’s a stupid question,” said Boehner, interrupting Gibson in mid-sentence. Democrats “started this yesterday. It’s about funding. It’s all about funding. Well obviously it’s not about funding. The train was going twice the speed limit. Adequate funds were there. No money's been cut from rail safety.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/05/17/amtrak-crash-reignites-capitol-hill-debate-over-infrastructure-spending-burden/

Gunny
05-17-2015, 09:28 AM
Fixing RR tracks IS a "shovel-ready job".

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-17-2015, 09:39 AM
Fixing RR tracks IS a "shovel-ready job".
Already paid for once, how many times do we need to give hundred of billions to pay?
My guess its another grab for money to funnel out to dem allies to then kick back a few hundred million to dem coffers for the 2016 election. -Tyr

Gunny
05-17-2015, 10:16 AM
Already paid for once, how many times do we need to give hundred of billions to pay?
My guess its another grab for money to funnel out to dem allies to then kick back a few hundred million to dem coffers for the 2016 election. -Tyr

Not sure exactly what you're asking. My stepfather worked for the Florida East coast Railroad for 50 years. The tracks HAVE to be maintained.

The thing about AmTrack is it's a government set-up from the beginning. Passenger rail travel was dead. IIRC, Reagan was the one that bailed it out. Our tax dollars have been repairing RR tracks, roads and bridges since Christ was a Corporal. Has nothing to do with just Dems.

Besides, since when do the Clinton's need extra money what with half the ME giving donations? ;)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-17-2015, 10:44 AM
Not sure exactly what you're asking. My stepfather worked for the Florida East coast Railroad for 50 years. The tracks HAVE to be maintained.

The thing about AmTrack is it's a government set-up from the beginning. Passenger rail travel was dead. IIRC, Reagan was the one that bailed it out. Our tax dollars have been repairing RR tracks, roads and bridges since Christ was a Corporal. Has nothing to do with just Dems.

Besides, since when do the Clinton's need extra money what with half the ME giving donations? ;)
I have no problem with real and proper maintenance. However almost 900 billion has already been sent to do that, so why hasn't this problem been addressed ,especially if its safety issue as well?
Tis well known billions went out and millions came back into dem party coffers as campaign donations from those receiving the billions in bids etc..
I suspect this is just another scheme to steal more money, to boost the all important 2016 Presidential gram and give us the final 8 years with Hildabeast in charge of finishing off this nation as it was founded.
HONEST hard working employees are not a part of this--its the top dogs and the corrupt regime involved not regular employees. --TYR

Gunny
05-17-2015, 11:08 AM
I have no problem with real and proper maintenance. However almost 900 billion has already been sent to do that, so why hasn't this problem been addressed ,especially if its safety issue as well?
Tis well known billions went out and millions came back into dem party coffers as campaign donations from those receiving the billions in bids etc..
I suspect this is just another scheme to steal more money, to boost the all important 2016 Presidential gram and give us the final 8 years with Hildabeast in charge of finishing off this nation as it was founded.
HONEST hard working employees are not a part of this--its the top dogs and the corrupt regime involved not regular employees. --TYR

The money goes in the bureaucracy's pocket. It isn't Republicans nor Democrats specifically. That they are different is a ruse. The people that REALLY run everything you never hear a word about. I'm talking about the people that get civil service jobs. And this isn't a conspiracy. It's a way of life. I worked in DC for 5 years. Linda Tripp almost brought Bill Clinton down not because she gave a damn about Monica Lewinsky but because she had been demoted. And I actually had a couple of run-ins with Tripp.

They don't care which side of aisle you're on. They want power and position and a healthy check.

And if you think US gov't bids at the Federal level aren't rigged, I got a bridge to sell ya'. And this one's easy. Right off the top of my head, choosing the Beretta over the M1911A1 was completely political. We had to go NATO with 9mm. Odd how our Special Forces said screw that and carry .45s.

The AV8-B Harrier is another. That thing is a POS. We'd have 12 on board and at any one time about 4 could fly. A bird in the intake can bring one down and they guzzle avgas quicker than an Olds 442 with a 4 barrel. You're covering MY ass, I want to see about 2 Supercobras or f-18As pop up from nowhere and slam the bad guys. I want a M1911A1 and I want c-rats. MRE's suck. Sh*t, I could die the next minute and you're worried about my health? I want the C-rats that come with smokes. :)

hjmick
05-18-2015, 03:40 PM

Amtrak is actually the National Railroad Passenger Corporation, doing business as Amtrak. It is a publicly funded service operated and managed as a for-profit corporation (and they've never been profitable...). It began operations on May 1, 1971.

For 44 years Amtrak has operated at a loss, they stay in business only because of the subsidy our tax dollars provide. For 44 years. In my mind, after 44 years, that's $1,000,000,000.00 a year (approximately) better spent elsewhere...

Gunny
05-18-2015, 03:46 PM
Amtrak is actually the National Railroad Passenger Corporation, doing business as Amtrak. It is a publicly funded service operated and managed as a for-profit corporation (and they've never been profitable...). It began operations on May 1, 1971.

For 44 years Amtrak has operated at a loss, they stay in business only because of the subsidy our tax dollars provide. For 44 years. In my mind, after 44 years, that's $1,000,000,000.00 a yea (approximately) better spent elsewhere...

That's kinda what I said. I just couldn't remember the specifics. 1971 was "awhile" ago.:laugh: I just remember the government propping it up.

hjmick
05-18-2015, 03:52 PM
I just didn't want anyone blaming the wrong president. If my wife had read your post she'd blaming Reagan until the day she died. :laugh:

The damn shame of it is, I love to travel by train. It's just so damn expensive, then throw in the times they force you off the train and onto a bus because the train "doesn't go there?" I'd rather drive...

Gunny
05-18-2015, 04:07 PM
I just didn't want anyone blaming the wrong president. If my wife had read your post she'd blaming Reagan until the day she died. :laugh:

The damn shame of it is, I love to travel by train. It's just so damn expensive, then throw in the times they force you off the train and onto a bus because the train "doesn't go there?" I'd rather drive...

Well, I wouldn't want to get your wife riled.:laugh:

I haven't traveled on a train since 1965 and it damned sure wasn't AMTRAK.:laugh: