PDA

View Full Version : `.....Be careful what you boast about.`

LongTermGuy
05-17-2015, 02:56 PM
`Army weighs if ex-Green Beret hero should be dismissed`

*Read:

"Golsteyn "claimed to have captured and shot and buried a suspected IED bomb maker. He further went to comment that he went back out with two others to cremate the body and dispose of the remains,"according to a memo summarizing the Golsteyn case. "Capt. Golsteyn stated that `he knew it was illegal` but was not remorseful as he had solid intelligence and his actions protected the safety of his fellow teammates."

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/W9rheb3thIbC6pkx3iz._g--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTY1NztpbD1wbGFuZTtweW 9mZj0wO3E9NzU7dz05NjA-/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/cb753bc5e5faa515760f6a7067001e28.jpg
`In this photo taken Jan. 4, 2011, U.S Army Capt. Mathew Golsteyn is congratulated by fellow soldiers following the Valor Awards ceremony for 3rd Special Forces Group at Fort Bragg, N.C. Golsteyn, stripped of a medal for heroism under fire and his right to call himself a Green Beret is fighting for his military career after accusations he tracked down and killed a suspected bomb-maker in Afghanistan. Though a criminal investigation failed to find remains of his alleged victim and didn’t result in charges against Golsteyn, he’s been targeted for possible dismissal from the Army and the consequent loss of veteran’s benefits with a less-than-honorable discharge. (James Robinson/The Fayetteville Observer via AP)`

http://news.yahoo.com/army-weighs-ex...144958847.html (http://news.yahoo.com/army-weighs-ex-green-beret-hero-dismissed-144958847.html)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-17-2015, 03:34 PM
Do not ever give specific details about anything illegal you have ever done.
Tis ' why I don't give names, dates and locations about some times I may remember correctly or incorrectly(lol) when I may have stomped somebody unconscious(or not) and left 'em lying there. Or maybe it was all just a dream..... ;)

Cat should have never uttered a word about it--he did a good deed , nuff done--no need to ever have mentioned it. --Tyr

Noir
05-17-2015, 03:39 PM
Capt. Golsteyn stated that `he knew it was illegal'

Well that's about as open and closed a case as you're likely to see.

DLT
05-17-2015, 03:45 PM

*Read:

"Golsteyn "claimed to have captured and shot and buried a suspected IED bomb maker. He further went to comment that he went back out with two others to cremate the body and dispose of the remains,"according to a memo summarizing the Golsteyn case. "Capt. Golsteyn stated that `he knew it was illegal` but was not remorseful as he had solid intelligence and his actions protected the safety of his fellow teammates."

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/W9rheb3thIbC6pkx3iz._g--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTY1NztpbD1wbGFuZTtweW 9mZj0wO3E9NzU7dz05NjA-/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/cb753bc5e5faa515760f6a7067001e28.jpg
`In this photo taken Jan. 4, 2011, U.S Army Capt. Mathew Golsteyn is congratulated by fellow soldiers following the Valor Awards ceremony for 3rd Special Forces Group at Fort Bragg, N.C. Golsteyn, stripped of a medal for heroism under fire and his right to call himself a Green Beret is fighting for his military career after accusations he tracked down and killed a suspected bomb-maker in Afghanistan. Though a criminal investigation failed to find remains of his alleged victim and didn’t result in charges against Golsteyn, he’s been targeted for possible dismissal from the Army and the consequent loss of veteran’s benefits with a less-than-honorable discharge. (James Robinson/The Fayetteville Observer via AP)`

http://news.yahoo.com/army-weighs-ex...144958847.html (http://news.yahoo.com/army-weighs-ex-green-beret-hero-dismissed-144958847.html)

How dumb can he possibly be? I guess his ego was bigger than his brain.

aboutime
05-17-2015, 06:05 PM
You cannot, and never will get yourself into any trouble as long as YOU TELL THE TRUTH.

Otherwise. If you fabricate, make up, or LIE....eventually. YOU GET CAUGHT.

Simple principle. It's never difficult to remember the TRUTH, and it cannot be DISSPROVEN.

More of an example of STOLEN VALOR. Short, and Sweet.

Jeff
05-17-2015, 06:37 PM
You cannot, and never will get yourself into any trouble as long as YOU TELL THE TRUTH.

Simple principle. It's never difficult to remember the TRUTH, and it cannot be DISSPROVEN.

My dad always told me, if you tell the truth on Monday come Wednesday it is easy to tell the same story, lie on Monday and you will again be lying on Wednesday cause ya don't remember lies the way you do facts.

aboutime
05-17-2015, 06:43 PM
How dumb can he possibly be? I guess his ego was bigger than his brain.

It's almost like Charlie Manson during his probation hearing, where he tells the investigators he never killed anyone...but couldn't help it if his followers took his advice, and performed a HYSTERECTOMY, and CESSERIAN on Sharon Tate!

Gunny
05-17-2015, 07:19 PM

*Read:

NOT smart.

Gunny
05-17-2015, 07:35 PM

There was when I believed that. Not in this country. Now you go viral on the internet and every armchair QB in the world is taking aim with their mouses. Not saying anything is better than setting yourself up.

I'll say the same thing I said years ago in the "I take my stand" thread: I'm bringing my Marines home. I don't care how. These people just don't get it. You ain't thinking about politics nor the non-hackers that are going to judge you. I'm going home and taking everything/everyone back with me that I showed up with.

You know as well as I do ... it may be a video game back here, but it ain't out there. This guy did what he thought he had to do. He should have kept his mouth shut.

Noir
05-17-2015, 08:17 PM

Unless 'the truth' is that you did something illegal.

aboutime
05-17-2015, 08:34 PM

Only Liars have to worry about that.

Gunny
05-18-2015, 12:19 AM

There's a difference between bending the rules and breaking them.

SO if I'm a raghead terrorist I get Constitutional Rights and as much whiny sympathy as the MSM and people like you can lay on, but if I'm military I'm just guilty?

Whose side are you on?

Noir
05-18-2015, 02:20 AM
There's a difference between bending the rules and breaking them. SO if I'm a raghead terrorist I get Constitutional Rights and as much whiny sympathy as the MSM and people like you can lay on, but if I'm military I'm just guilty? Whose side are you on?

Capt. Golsteyn stated that `he knew it was illegal'

Capt. Golsteyn said he was guilty when he admitted he wilfully acted illegally...whose side is he on?

darin
05-18-2015, 06:04 AM
So the Army has NO EVIDENCE against him, so they'll figure out some way to punish him.

He captures the guy, worst case the guy goes to GITMO to be released after what amounts to 'social networking trip' with other terrorists.

:-/

He's a hero.

Jeff
05-18-2015, 07:23 AM
IMO the guy shouldn't of boasted about what he was doing ( right or wrong ) in war ( and in other situations ) sometimes the rules must be broke for the good of the outcome, but if it is against the law and you openly brag you did this than you have to pay the piper, if this guy broke the rules to rid the world of a POS that killed our troops and did so for their benefit and didn't brag about it I would have no problem with it. In time of war when folks are trying to kill you I don't believe you have time to look up the laws, you do what you need to to save your ass and the troops that are with you, just don't brag about it.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-18-2015, 08:10 AM
IMO the guy shouldn't of boasted about what he was doing ( right or wrong ) in war ( and in other situations ) sometimes the rules must be broke for the good of the outcome, but if it is against the law and you openly brag you did this than you have to pay the piper, if this guy broke the rules to rid the world of a POS that killed our troops and did so for their benefit and didn't brag about it I would have no problem with it. In time of war when folks are trying to kill you I don't believe you have time to look up the laws, you do what you need to to save your ass and the troops that are with you, just don't brag about it.

War is pure hell, his mistake was not in the doing but in the telling.
Silence is golden. While I have mentioned things I did 25 /35/40 years ago, I always did that in a general way with no nailed down specific details(no names, locations or firm dates). Best to keep a good head about such things.
Besides in my dealings people got hurt(justified) but nobody got killed. An ass stomping is one thing while dying is another!-Tyr

jimnyc
05-18-2015, 08:53 AM
I agree with Darin, this guy is a hero. The problem here is with a stupid law. This is war, and we're going to punish a hero because he killed a terrorist? This politically correct bullshit shouldn't be hitting our soldiers. The only thing being pinned on this guy should be a medal, after they look over this whole incident and make changes to that law.

And Noir, I'm sorry, but it's really not an open and shut case. Simply stating what he did is not enough, they STILL need more evidence that a crime took place to find him guilty. Like the article states - what if someone were simply beaten into a confession - then no further proof is necessary? What about terrorists we have in Gitmo, that have made confessions, and now retract - that should be open/shut and just put them in a supermax for the rest of their lives, correct? Not a shred of evidence is needed outside of what they stated at the time, correct?

darin
05-18-2015, 09:01 AM
Sometimes following the law is a moral crime.

aboutime
05-18-2015, 05:41 PM
The man SHOULD have remained quiet, and used the Nixon/Political venue:

Plausible deniability
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Plausible deniability is the ability for persons (typically senior officials in a formal or informal chain of command) to deny knowledge of and responsibility for any damnable actions committed by others (usually subordinates in an organizational hierarchy) because of a lack of evidence that can confirm their participation, even if they were personally involved in or at least willfully ignorant of the actions.

In the case that illegal or otherwise disreputable and unpopular activities become public, high-ranking officials may deny any awareness of such act in order to insulate themselves and shift blame onto the agents who carried out the acts, confident that their doubters will be unable to prove otherwise. The lack of evidence to the contrary ostensibly makes the denial plausible, that is, credible, although sometimes it merely makes it unactionable.

The term typically implies forethought, such as intentionally setting up the conditions to plausibly avoid responsibility for one's (future) actions or knowledge. In some organizations, legal doctrines such as command responsibility exist to hold major parties responsible for the actions of subordinates involved in heinous acts and nullify any legal protection that their denial of involvement would carry.

Gunny
05-18-2015, 06:01 PM
Capt. Golsteyn said he was guilty when he admitted he wilfully acted illegally...whose side is he on?

WRONG FUCKING ANSWER, armchair quarterback.

I'd kill you, your unborn children, and dig up your ancestors and kill them again to save just ONE of my Marines. And you can take your rules and shove them. Never been anywhere nor done anything but run your mouth on the internet.

I hear the British Royal Marines have some openings. Why don't you take your spineless ass right on over and join up? DO take one of those bodycams so we can all see how far your mouth gets you.

You're nothing, and have no idea what you're talking about. As usual.

You want to judge true warriors? Become one or shut the fuck up and get back to your mouse hole.

red state
05-18-2015, 06:15 PM
Allen West did something EXTREME to save his men.....and it worked but he paid for it DEARLY. Will probably NEVER see him as president (although he'd be my pick of the sorry @$$ litter we've been given or will get). I'm just glad this HERO didn't have to kill that terrorist cuz they would have buried him under the jail (instead of push him to the back of the political bus......OR UNDER IT)!!!

I hate to call a HERO stupid but if he is a HERO.....he's not the brightest one in the Justice League (or is it League of Justice).

Noir
05-18-2015, 06:22 PM
WRONG FUCKING ANSWER, armchair quarterback.

I'd kill you, your unborn children, and dig up your ancestors and kill them again to save just ONE of my Marines. And you can take your rules and shove them. Never been anywhere nor done anything but run your mouth on the internet.

And yet here i am trying to have a civil conversation. Without swearing at you, or opining some nonsense about killing your unborn children, and adding nothing to the content of the thread. I'd advise re-reading 'Forum Rules - Flaming' as a refresher may be needed here, afterwards come back and we can discuss the topic at hand (:

Noir
05-18-2015, 06:30 PM
And Noir, I'm sorry, but it's really not an open and shut case. Simply stating what he did is not enough, they STILL need more evidence that a crime took place to find him guilty. Like the article states - what if someone were simply beaten into a confession - then no further proof is necessary? What about terrorists we have in Gitmo, that have made confessions, and now retract - that should be open/shut and just put them in a supermax for the rest of their lives, correct? Not a shred of evidence is needed outside of what they stated at the time, correct?

So if he's found not guilty, as their is no evidence for what he has said he has done, is he still a 'hero' given folk here are calling him a hero for the very same reason? Or is he then just a liar?

As for GITMO, where said confessions obtained under torture? (Another thread i'm sure)

As you say if there is no evidence he'll probably get off, in any case most folk here seem to agree he's been an idiot.