PDA

View Full Version : former ATF on infiltrating the Hells Angels

revelarts
05-20-2015, 10:33 AM
Inside Biker Gang.
Former ATF agent talks about infiltrating the Hells Angels
http://www.fox10phoenix.com/story/29109298/2015/05/20/inside-biker-gangs-former-atf-agent-talks-about-infiltrating-the-hells-angels

PHOENIX (KSAZ) - FOX 10 is getting an inside look at one of the most dangerous motorcycle gangs in the world.

A retired Arizona Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms agent who went undercover to infiltrate the Hells Angel Motorcycle Gang said it would be naive to think something like the Waco shooting wouldn't happen in Arizona.

Jay Dobyns worked with the ATF for more than 27 years. While he's credited for bringing down a number of criminals and illegal enterprises, he's best known for his infiltration of the Hells Angels.

He's believed to be the first law enforcement officer to become a full patched member, something he says the club's leadership denies.

Covered in tattoos and skull rings, photos show what the undercover ATF agent Jay Dobyns looked like when he infiltrated the club in Arizona in 2001.

"During the two years I spent with the gang, there were 7-8 club related murders. Much of what we saw in Texas are things I experienced, club on club violence," said Jay Dobyns.

Dobyns said Sunday's gunfight in Texas was a brewing turf battle between biker clubs. He says the same thing could happen in Arizona, where the Hells Angels rule.

"They control Arizona, but there are other gangs that want a piece of Arizona, namely the Mongols who they've had a 30 year running blood bath war with, to think that it couldn't happen here, that an event like we saw in Waco couldn't happen in Arizona, you're being naive," he said.

Dobyns said law enforcement in Texas is on high alert.

"There's been validated and credible documented threats of green light hits on law enforcement officers in uniform. These guys might not be the most educated, or book smart, but they have their PHD's in intimidation, they know how to scare people," said Dobyns.

Dobyns knows first hand, after his identity as an undercover agent was revealed in 2004, he says he felt the wrath of the Hells Angels.

"Death threats, threats on my family, threats on my kids, threats on my wife, my house was burned to the ground in 2008," he said.

"Somehow remarkable my family stuck by me," said Dobyns.

"That gang, that patch, it's their religion, it's the bible, they live by it, and they'll fight for it. They'll kill for it, and we've seen many times they believe in it so strongly they'll kill for it," he said.

Dobyns sued the government, saying in part the ATF failed to properly address the threats. A judge ruled in his favor last year.

Dobyns recently retired from the ATF, he still lives in Arizona and runs a consulting firm.

revelarts
05-20-2015, 10:41 AM
A federal judge suspects that seven attorneys representing the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives committed fraud in the case of a retired federal agent who infiltrated the Hells Angels motorcycle gang in Arizona.

Court of Federal Claims Judge Francis Allegra banned the attorneys from filing documents in his court, and he ordered additional hearings to investigate the attorneys' actions, essentially creating a trial within a trial.
The accusations are spelled out in newly unsealed court documents in the case involving former federal agent Jay Dobyns, a onetime University of Arizona football star who sued the ATF for improperly handling threats against him following his undercover stint with the Hells Angels.

.....The newly unsealed court documents disclose:— An ATF attorney attempted to thwart an investigation into arson at Dobyns' house, and fellow ATF attorneys failed to report the incident to the court. Those actions put the integrity of the trial at risk, according to the judge.
—Dobyns' attorney, James Reed, has been under relentless surveillance for months by several unidentified people.
The case focused on the ATF's investigation of a fire at Dobyns' house after supervisors withdrew his covert identification. The court found that two now-retired ATF executives, George Gillett and Charles Higman, allowed Dobyns to be treated as a suspect in the 2008 fire as a form of payback for a previous settlement he had received against ATF for largely ignoring earlier death threats against him.
Other court documents indicate that Allegra's directive prevents the attorneys from serving as the government's counsel of record, but allows them to consult with their successors as the case proceeds.
Dobyns' attorney said he is awaiting directions from the judge regarding how the case will move forward. He declined further comment.
Dobyns, a Tucson resident, was a two-time honorable mention All-Pacific 10 Conference wide receiver at UA who worked as an undercover ATF agent for 27 years. He sports sleeve-splitting biceps, a shaved head and a dense collection of biker tattoos.
Dobyns said the judge made the correct move to protect the integrity of his courtroom.
"DOJ attorneys had been misrepresenting facts," Dobyns alleged in an interview with The Arizona Republic. "They have been withholding evidence. And I think Judge Allegra, whatever the basis for the decision was, I think it's appropriate.
"Judge Allegra not only has the obligation to be the finder of fact, he has the obligation to protect the dignity and integrity of the United States justice system."....