PDA

View Full Version : Neck is killing me

jimnyc
05-21-2015, 01:13 PM
Gotta vent! My neck has been really killing me for quite some time, but getting much worse over the past week. It's at the very base of the neck, I guess just below c-7? Where it feels like that big knot is, and just to the right of it. It hurts more when sitting up, but still hurts a tad when sitting or lying down. I know these types of symptoms all too well. With 2 disc fusions under my belt, I'm not too fond of the idea of a 3rd, for various reasons. For the first time, something literally scares me. I'm afraid that I'll be disabled, far too early. Might have to go in and see the surgeon and get the neck x-rayed or get an MRI.

aboutime
05-21-2015, 02:20 PM
Gotta vent! My neck has been really killing me for quite some time, but getting much worse over the past week. It's at the very base of the neck, I guess just below c-7? Where it feels like that big knot is, and just to the right of it. It hurts more when sitting up, but still hurts a tad when sitting or lying down. I know these types of symptoms all too well. With 2 disc fusions under my belt, I'm not too fond of the idea of a 3rd, for various reasons. For the first time, something literally scares me. I'm afraid that I'll be disabled, far too early. Might have to go in and see the surgeon and get the neck x-rayed or get an MRI.

Don't put it off getting to a doc Jim. You may have had previous spinal ops, as have I. The first one on T-2, 3, 4 took place during the First Gulf War aboard the USNS Mercy, Hospital ship...in the Persian Gulf...March 2, 1991.

Second took place in May 1991, Portsmouth Naval Hospital, L-3, 4, and 5.
The first surgery was needed because I lost my ability to walk, or feel anything on the entire left side of my body. So I was carted around like an invalid until being flown from the USS Nassau to Bahrain where the Mercy was docked.
The pain I felt was so severe...just touching the hair on my arm was like being burned by a lit cigarette.
DON'T PUT IT OFF. Unless you like being unable to do anything. NOT A JOKE.

jimnyc
05-21-2015, 04:08 PM
Don't put it off getting to a doc Jim. You may have had previous spinal ops, as have I. The first one on T-2, 3, 4 took place during the First Gulf War aboard the USNS Mercy, Hospital ship...in the Persian Gulf...March 2, 1991.

Second took place in May 1991, Portsmouth Naval Hospital, L-3, 4, and 5.
The first surgery was needed because I lost my ability to walk, or feel anything on the entire left side of my body. So I was carted around like an invalid until being flown from the USS Nassau to Bahrain where the Mercy was docked.
The pain I felt was so severe...just touching the hair on my arm was like being burned by a lit cigarette.
DON'T PUT IT OFF. Unless you like being unable to do anything. NOT A JOKE.

No doubt I'll be getting in to see the surgeon to see what we can find out what is going on. It's a situation, as you point out, that you really have no choice but to tend to in one way or another. But my first 2 surgeries didn't scare me as much. I looked at them as bumps in the road that I'd easily get past. But I'm getting older and things hurt longer. I know they'll want a "process", and start with this crap, and then this crap, and then shots, and then an epidural... which none of those things helped in the past. But, I was on pain pills throughout last time and really didn't care so long as they kept feeding them to me. Not wanting them this go round, if that's what this is, will make this so called process feel a lot longer and the pain drawn out. Hopefully I'll be wrong and it'll be something else.

Jeff
05-21-2015, 05:53 PM
Praying all goes well Jim, let me know something.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-21-2015, 06:19 PM

I was having major neck problems over a year ago. Solved it by buying the right pillow. Too k me about 5 pillows to get to the right one--then like magic 95% of the neck problem went away.
Could possibly be that simple, hope it is as thats an easy fix. You may want to check it out .-Tyr

LongTermGuy
05-21-2015, 07:31 PM

*As some have said get it checked out (Just get it over with)...many of us here through time have had some type of back and Neck issues...*Your better off once "you know" what `your` dealing with ....Lets US know ...then we can all give better advice from our own (maybe) `similar` past experiences....Get it done....let us know...from your description above...a friend of mine had the same...he went in ...got it checked out and got it "worked out"....

jimnyc
05-21-2015, 07:37 PM
I was having major neck problems over a year ago. Solved it by buying the right pillow. Too k me about 5 pillows to get to the right one--then like magic 95% of the neck problem went away.
Could possibly be that simple, hope it is as thats an easy fix. You may want to check it out .-Tyr

I've been through tens of pillows. I steal the good ones whenever I get a good nights sleep at a hotel! :coffee:

I still keep trying new ones all the time anyway. I've tried the memory foam, the supposed "most comfortable pillow in the world" and all the other gadget stuff.

jimnyc
05-21-2015, 07:47 PM
*As some have said get it checked out (Just get it over with)...many of us here through time have had some type of back and Neck issues...*Your better off once "you know" what `your` dealing with ....Lets US know ...then we can all give better advice from our own (maybe) `similar` past experiences....Get it done....let us know...from your description above...a friend of mine had the same...he went in ...got it checked out and got it "worked out"....

Yeah, I think it's another disc, but I'll let the doc tell me for sure. First it was c4-c5, then it was c6-c7. Any neck pain after that makes you immediately think it's that happening again. In the past few days, there were times where I kind of moved around in my chair while typing, as the pain progressed, and I had to stop and go lay down for a quick spell. Same thing I said in both prior instances - there are times where it feels like the weight of my own head is squishing my damn neck.

aboutime
05-21-2015, 07:55 PM
Yeah, I think it's another disc, but I'll let the doc tell me for sure. First it was c4-c5, then it was c6-c7. Any neck pain after that makes you immediately think it's that happening again. In the past few days, there were times where I kind of moved around in my chair while typing, as the pain progressed, and I had to stop and go lay down for a quick spell. Same thing I said in both prior instances - there are times where it feels like the weight of my own head is squishing my damn neck.

Jim. Like it or not. This is nothing to play with. I still go through that horrible pain every day, despite the surgeries. I have Stenosis of the spine that is degenerative, and the gaps between the discs slowly close, or they stretch whenever they feel like driving me nuts. I know that weight squishing down, and it just happens to start where the first surgery took place on the back of my neck. The Navy doctor on the Mercy told me they didn't want to chance entering the front of my neck...under my chin back then. So, his incision was from the base of my hairline to that lump about equal with my shoulders. It hurts every day like hell, and sleeping more than a couple hours at night is a luxury...not even the pain meds help.

So, you can choose to listen, or not listen to an old man who is just blowing smoke, or you can choose to just wait for everything to get better SOMEDAY, when the cure is more than the advertised Laser treatments.

jimnyc
05-21-2015, 08:15 PM
Jim. Like it or not. This is nothing to play with. I still go through that horrible pain every day, despite the surgeries. I have Stenosis of the spine that is degenerative, and the gaps between the discs slowly close, or they stretch whenever they feel like driving me nuts. I know that weight squishing down, and it just happens to start where the first surgery took place on the back of my neck. The Navy doctor on the Mercy told me they didn't want to chance entering the front of my neck...under my chin back then. So, his incision was from the base of my hairline to that lump about equal with my shoulders. It hurts every day like hell, and sleeping more than a couple hours at night is a luxury...not even the pain meds help.

So, you can choose to listen, or not listen to an old man who is just blowing smoke, or you can choose to just wait for everything to get better SOMEDAY, when the cure is more than the advertised Laser treatments.

Dude, trust me, I don't dismiss any advice, and I have 2 gnarly scars on my throat to show I know exactly what you speak of. Both of mine went through the lower front of my neck. While I'm not looking forward to any repeats, and I'm fearful of having this done again, I am aware of what can happen if you ignore it. Besides, even if I wanted to I couldn't. I'm a wuss when it comes to pain!!

Perianne
05-22-2015, 09:10 AM
Jim, I wish I could help you, but my magical powers only go so far.

I had back surgery in 2003 and it worked like a miracle. If you have to have surgery again, I pray that yours works well for you. Sometimes things turn out okay.

LongTermGuy
05-22-2015, 04:14 PM
`​.....Jim...You get it checked out yet?