PDA

View Full Version : Every Year, A Lone Marine Holds Salute For Fallen Soldiers

jimnyc
05-25-2015, 07:11 PM
Every Memorial Day weekend since 1988, Rolling Thunder/Ride for Freedom has been held in Washington, DC, to raise awareness of the Prisoners of War–Missing in Action of all wars.

United States Marine Corps Veteran Staff Sergeant Tim Chambers is known to the world as The Saluting Marine for standing at attention for hours in the middle of the street during Rolling Thunder. In the video below, filmed in 2013, he held the salute for 3-4 hours while standing on concrete, surrounded by the bikers who zipped passed and around him. Despite having a broken wrist, Sgt. Chambers stood strong to perform his powerful act honoring veterans everywhere.

Sgt. Chambers stands with his makeshift memorial — boots, a rifle, flack jacket and Kevlar — displayed proudly at his feet. Over the years, families of fallen soldiers have donated personal items to symbolize their body and spirit.

The courageous feat is never lost on those who take part in Rolling Thunder. Many veterans stop on their bikes to salute to Sgt. Chambers, and thank him in return for upholding such a revered tradition.

http://www.littlethings.com/saluting-marine-rolling-thunder/?utm_medium=fb_share

I couldn't embed the above video, which is done to song. Here's another video with more of the story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA8gLlzQbaA

Jeff
05-25-2015, 07:19 PM
I was actually invited to ride up there this weekend but just couldn't make it, the fellows I was going to ride with are all Vietnam Vets, they told me last year they actually put a water bottle up to this Marines mouth to give him a drink, the video says 3 hours but the Vets that where there said it takes longer than that for all the bikes to pass, and he stays for each one.

jimnyc
05-25-2015, 07:23 PM
I was actually invited to ride up there this weekend but just couldn't make it, the fellows I was going to ride with are all Vietnam Vets, they told me last year they actually put a water bottle up to this Marines mouth to give him a drink, the video says 3 hours but the Vets that where there said it takes longer than that for all the bikes to pass, and he stays for each one.

That's a dedicated Marine. He's very inspirational, and it's awesome to see the bikers respect him in the manner they do, and the veterans of course even more. To see some of them stop and salute is an awesome sight. I know for me it means one thing, and I truly try to keep it for what it is, and understand these men and women. But I would imagine for a lot of them they see something different.

But probably any American seeing this would like to shake his hand. I know I would.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-25-2015, 10:46 PM
That's a dedicated Marine. He's very inspirational, and it's awesome to see the bikers respect him in the manner they do, and the veterans of course even more. To see some of them stop and salute is an awesome sight. I know for me it means one thing, and I truly try to keep it for what it is, and understand these men and women. But I would imagine for a lot of them they see something different.

But probably any American seeing this would like to shake his hand. I know I would.

The man truly represents the Marines and their honor IMHO..
I salute him and all the honorably serving military members , past , present and future.. :salute:--Tyr

Perianne
05-26-2015, 05:59 AM
That made me have tears in my eyes.