PDA

View Full Version : Gimme a Shelter

Perianne
05-26-2015, 03:11 PM
"Gimme Shelter" was written by the Rolling Stones' lead vocalist Mick Jagger and guitarist Keith Richards. Although never released as a single, it is one of the Stones' most famous songs.

According to the Rolling Stones: "The use of the female voice was the producer's idea. It would be one of those moments along the lines of 'I hear a girl on this track – get one on the phone.'" Summoned from bed around midnight by the producer, Merry Clayton made her recording with just a few takes then returned home to bed. Clayton sings "Rape, murder. It's just a shot away. It's just a shot away," almost screaming the final stanza.

Though they sold millions of records in the ‘60s, poor management decisions left the Rolling Stones almost broke by 1971. Each of the Stones owed the British government a quarter of a million dollars in taxes, a huge sum at the time. They decided to move the band to France to avoid taxes and shelter their earnings in a Netherlands holding company.

“We had to leave England to acquire enough money to pay the taxes because in those days, in England, the high tax rate was 90 percent, so that’s very hard,” Jagger told CNN.

“The whole business thing is predicated a lot on the tax laws,” Richards told the New Yorker. He made no excuses or apologies about leaving Britain because of its tax rates. “We left, and they lost out. No taxes at all.”

The Stones got their shelter after all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimme_Shelter
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/rock-bands-taxes/

Gunny
05-26-2015, 03:31 PM
More than 2 of my friends have suggested we move to Costa Rica. I'm getting sorely tempted .....

Jeff
05-26-2015, 04:17 PM
More than 2 of my friends have suggested we move to Costa Rica. I'm getting sorely tempted .....

Holler at me, you will have a roommate.

Gunny
05-26-2015, 04:20 PM
Holler at me, you will have a roommate.

Yeah? Know how to first mate a fishing boat? Tourist dollars spend as good as any other ....:laugh:

Abbey Marie
05-26-2015, 04:43 PM

Two words: Huge. Bugs.

Perianne
05-26-2015, 05:10 PM
Whether it be Netherlands or Costa Rica, the point of the article was that excessive taxation drives away high earners, whether it be corporations or wealthy individuals. It's economics.

Jeff
05-27-2015, 08:37 AM
Yeah? Know how to first mate a fishing boat? Tourist dollars spend as good as any other ....:laugh:

Sure can, in fact always wished I would of went that way for work, seems like more fun than work.

Gunny
05-27-2015, 08:44 AM
Two words: Huge. Bugs.

You talking about Congress? Or Costa Rica?:laugh:

Gunny
05-27-2015, 08:47 AM
Sure can, in fact always wished I would of went that way for work, seems like more fun than work.

Uh huh. Haven't done a lot of deep sea fishing, have you? It's highly entertaining watching an office full of goofs having an "outing" whose skills are tangling lines and turning green.:laugh:

Jeff
05-27-2015, 01:51 PM
Uh huh. Haven't done a lot of deep sea fishing, have you? It's highly entertaining watching an office full of goofs having an "outing" whose skills are tangling lines and turning green.:laugh:

I use to do it all the time as a kid ( my dad had a boat ) but yes I have been on party boats and you are exactly right, but I carry a very sharp knife, tangle all fixed. :laugh:

Gunny
05-27-2015, 02:02 PM
I use to do it all the time as a kid ( my dad had a boat ) but yes I have been on party boats and you are exactly right, but I carry a very sharp knife, tangle all fixed. :laugh:

That sh*t used to piss me off. Hook something and all these clods come running over to "see" dragging their lines with them. The concept of get your lines away or reel in is foreign to them.

Jeff
05-27-2015, 02:12 PM
That sh*t used to piss me off. Hook something and all these clods come running over to "see" dragging their lines with them. The concept of get your lines away or reel in is foreign to them.

Party boats are something sure enough, when living in NJ I use to go down and go on the Miss Belmar. We started going on this boat the first time a buddy of mine ( Louie ) and I headed out on a boat. We walked about and down the dock trying to pick a boat to go on and each one had the captain and/or the mates standing at the entrance telling us we didn't want to go on their boat. ( we where carrying 2 cases of beer, a bottle and had been up for a couple of days ) :laugh: Anyway to make a long story short the Miss Belamr had family day on the boat and all the mates had their Gf's on the boat, so that is where we went fishing. We wound up going out on that boat quite often and always had a good time, only once did the Capt. call the coast guard and have them on stand by, yes all do to some idiot tangling my line up and me cutting his line, he then called me a Ginny, so I explained I wasn't Italian but I was going to kick his arse anyway, I wound up spending the rest of the trip getting to know the Capt. real well, he had me ride with him the rest of the day. :laugh: But we loved going on that boat and in time they loved to see us come, but some folks on those boats should never leave the dock that is for sure.

Gunny
06-01-2015, 12:32 PM
Party boats are something sure enough, when living in NJ I use to go down and go on the Miss Belmar. We started going on this boat the first time a buddy of mine ( Louie ) and I headed out on a boat. We walked about and down the dock trying to pick a boat to go on and each one had the captain and/or the mates standing at the entrance telling us we didn't want to go on their boat. ( we where carrying 2 cases of beer, a bottle and had been up for a couple of days ) :laugh: Anyway to make a long story short the Miss Belamr had family day on the boat and all the mates had their Gf's on the boat, so that is where we went fishing. We wound up going out on that boat quite often and always had a good time, only once did the Capt. call the coast guard and have them on stand by, yes all do to some idiot tangling my line up and me cutting his line, he then called me a Ginny, so I explained I wasn't Italian but I was going to kick his arse anyway, I wound up spending the rest of the trip getting to know the Capt. real well, he had me ride with him the rest of the day. :laugh: But we loved going on that boat and in time they loved to see us come, but some folks on those boats should never leave the dock that is for sure.

Used to go out of Black's Cove in S. Miami. Last time we went, we (my stepfather and I) hooked about 20 reds. No thanks to any help from my ex and a bunch of dorks going ," You caught a fish?" What the Hell do you think we're out here for, dipshit?

Fortunately, half the paying customers spent most of the time in the cabin curled up in little balls moaning. :laugh: If you can't crack that first beer at 4 AM, stay home.:laugh:

Jeff
06-01-2015, 04:57 PM
Used to go out of Black's Cove in S. Miami. Last time we went, we (my stepfather and I) hooked about 20 reds. No thanks to any help from my ex and a bunch of dorks going ," You caught a fish?" What the Hell do you think we're out here for, dipshit?

Fortunately, half the paying customers spent most of the time in the cabin curled up in little balls moaning. :laugh: If you can't crack that first beer at 4 AM, stay home.:laugh:

Bro that first time on the Miss Belamr we where on like a 4 or 5 day binge :laugh: Hadn't been to bed, hell hadn't been sober either, aaa the good old days.

namvet
06-04-2015, 02:10 PM

if Hitllary wins i may tag along. no need to stay here anymore