PDA

View Full Version : Texas lawmakers clear bill allowing open carry of handguns

Jeff
05-30-2015, 05:15 AM
This is a step in the right direction but it looks like even if you have a concealed carry permit now you must still take a class ( pay the state money ) to open carry. These classes like in SC consist of a day in a class room and half a day on the range, I'm sorry but you can't learn that much in that little time, if I remember right the field test ( 1/2 a day in SC ) you have to shoot 6 shots, lets face it if you can't shoot 6 shots down range then you ought not be allowed to buy a gun much less carry one. In GA we don't have those classes, we have to have a background check and that is it, personally I feel the 2nd amendment is all I should need to carry open or concealed.

AUSTIN, Texas – Texas lawmakers on Friday approved carrying handguns openly on the streets of the nation's second most-populous state, sending the bill to Republican Gov. Greg Abbott, who is expected to sign it and reverse a ban dating to the post-Civil War era.
Gun owners would still have to get a license to carry a handgun in a visible holster.
The state known for its wild west, cowboy history and some the nation's most relaxed gun laws, has allowed concealed handguns for 20 years. Concealed handgun license holders are even allowed to skip the metal detectors at the state Capitol, as state troopers providing security assume they're armed.
But Texas was one of only six states with an outright ban on so-called open carry, and advocates have fought to be allowed to keep their guns in plain sight. Cast as an important expansion of the Second Amendment right to bear arms in the U.S. Constitution, it became a major issue for the state's strong Republican majority.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/05/29/texas-lawmakers-clear-bill-allowing-open-carry-handguns/?intcmp=latestnews