PDA

View Full Version : New 105 Year Old Cuban American Citizen

Pale Rider
07-03-2007, 09:02 AM
So here they're showing on CNN, a 105 year old man from Cuba being sworn in as an American citizen by an INTERPETER because he can't speak ENGLISH! What a fucking farce this country is becoming. And guess who paid for interpreter? Yup... YOU AND ME!

shattered
07-03-2007, 09:06 AM
So here they're showing on CNN, a 105 year old man from Cuba being sworn in as an American citizen by an INTERPETER because he can't speak ENGLISH! What a fucking farce this country is becoming. And guess who paid for interpreter? Yup... YOU AND ME!

Not to make light of it, but.. He IS 105 years old.. I don't think there's much damage he can do at this point...:) (Don't get mad - I just think there's some things not worth getting angry at...)

Pale Rider
07-03-2007, 09:10 AM
Not to make light of it, but.. He IS 105 years old.. I don't think there's much damage he can do at this point...:) (Don't get mad - I just think there's some things not worth getting angry at...)

I realize that, and that wasn't my point. It's the swearing in using an interpreter that pissed me off. He didn't even know English. I'm shocked you can become an American citizen without being able to speak English. It ain't right.

Gadget (fmr Marine)
07-03-2007, 12:43 PM
Going anywhere south of Broward County in Florida is almost like being in the US, except for a couple little biker bars in the Keys.

I have no problem with any of the Cubans, Haitians or other folks from the islands coming to South Florida, but I sure wish they would assimilate. Making English the official language of the US would save hundreds of millions, if not a billion federal taxpayer dollars per year! (eliminating the need to print all of the US official tax forms, etc, into only English would be a good step)

But, I am making sure my son is in a Spanish immersion class for preschool for the last 2 years, even though there is no spanish spoken in the home....he should learn a second language, and we have started him early....English is his first language.

Pale Rider
07-07-2007, 04:17 AM
Going anywhere south of Broward County in Florida is almost like being in the US, except for a couple little biker bars in the Keys.

I have no problem with any of the Cubans, Haitians or other folks from the islands coming to South Florida, but I sure wish they would assimilate. Making English the official language of the US would save hundreds of millions, if not a billion federal taxpayer dollars per year! (eliminating the need to print all of the US official tax forms, etc, into only English would be a good step)

But, I am making sure my son is in a Spanish immersion class for preschool for the last 2 years, even though there is no spanish spoken in the home....he should learn a second language, and we have started him early....English is his first language.

This will be one of the hotbed issues for the upcoming Presidential election. To make English the official language of the USA. It has the vast majority of support, and you're 100% correct. We could save millions, possibly BILLIONS, haulting the printing of everything in a second language.

WELCOME TO AMERICA... NOW SPEAK ENGLISH.

I can see taking a second language as an extra caricular class, but it's too bad if you feel you HAVE to MAKE your son do it.

waterrescuedude2000
07-10-2007, 09:05 AM
Well making them learn English would be a great start. But they also need to learn the history of our country. And they should have to not only speak English but write it as well. And we need to outlaw spanish speaking in public. I personally find it offensive!!!

Pale Rider
07-10-2007, 09:22 AM
Well making them learn English would be a great start. But they also need to learn the history of our country. And they should have to not only speak English but write it as well. And we need to outlaw spanish speaking in public. I personally find it offensive!!!

Well... I don't know if I'd go that far. If we did that, then we'd have to outlaw speaking ALL foriegn languages in public.

I do agree that to become an American citizen, you should be able to read, write and speak English. That should be the law.

nevadamedic
07-10-2007, 05:14 PM
I realize that, and that wasn't my point. It's the swearing in using an interpreter that pissed me off. He didn't even know English. I'm shocked you can become an American citizen without being able to speak English. It ain't right.

Hell no it's not right.