PDA

View Full Version : what's happening?

darin
06-01-2015, 08:26 AM
This place needs its own reality show. I cannot keep up with 'who is bitchin at who' and what somebody said that hurt somebody else so now another person has to come to their defense. Is it impossible that we disagree - even passionately - yet might be good friends in real life? Good lord. Honestly, I probably have the least in common with Noir yet he'd be a welcome guest and I bet if I made my way back to the UK he'd likely have sit and eat a vegan plain soy bread pita thing - or whatever the hell he eats, IF he eats.

So - stop bitching so violently at people. Turn down the attitudes and lastly, be nice to people.

Or not. Whatever.

Balu
06-01-2015, 08:39 AM
This place needs its own reality show. I cannot keep up with 'who is bitchin at who' and what somebody said that hurt somebody else so now another person has to come to their defense. Is it impossible that we disagree - even passionately - yet might be good friends in real life? Good lord. Honestly, I probably have the least in common with Noir yet he'd be a welcome guest and I bet if I made my way back to the UK he'd likely have sit and eat a vegan plain soy bread pita thing - or whatever the hell he eats, IF he eats.

So - stop bitching so violently at people. Turn down the attitudes and lastly, be nice to people.

Or not. Whatever.

Good appeal! http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/good.gif

jimnyc
06-03-2015, 04:08 PM

Or not. Whatever.

Noir would be more than a welcome guest here in NY. I would take him to a fine restaurant, that of course had a vegetarian menu. And when he wasn't looking I would probably sneak in tiny bits of meat into his food. And I would expect similar treatment as well, if I ever made it to the UK, and he just might slip some vegetables into my yummy steak/hamburger!

Perianne
06-03-2015, 04:16 PM
Noir would be more than a welcome guest here in NY. I would take him to a fine restaurant, that of course had a vegetarian menu. And when he wasn't looking I would probably sneak in tiny bits of meat into his food. And I would expect similar treatment as well, if I ever made it to the UK, and he just might slip some vegetables into my yummy steak/hamburger!

I am going to grill hamburgers tonight!

jimnyc
06-03-2015, 04:18 PM
I am going to grill hamburgers tonight!

And I'm having steak! Nothing great, but it's still steak.

Don't worry, Noir, we always have a healthy portion of greens with every meal. Whether I eat them or not is a different thing altogether.

red states rule
06-04-2015, 03:58 AM
Noir is welcome in my neck of the woods as well. I would be honored to take him to Church to hear Pastor Dave and then lunch at Outback (on me of course)

indago
06-04-2015, 05:58 AM
This place needs its own reality show. I cannot keep up with 'who is bitchin at who'...

There is a special thread for that...

HERE (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?49744-The-aboutime-and-Gunny-Snivel-Thread&p=735589#post735589<br />)

Jeff
06-04-2015, 06:27 AM

Tell the truth Jim, I know what you would do with that little fellow in NY. :laugh:

There is a special thread for that...

HERE (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?49744-The-aboutime-and-Gunny-Snivel-Thread&p=735589#post735589<br />)

Cold indago cold, calling Gunny and AT snivelers :laugh: yes I had to type it out in case they didn't want to follow the link. :laugh: But answer me are you like trying to say they whine like kids ? I am not sure where you are going with this, could you draw me a picture, say like Gunny in a diaper, AT on a Navy vessel with a baby bonnet on, you know tell us how you really feel. :laugh:

jimnyc
06-04-2015, 08:39 AM
Tell the truth Jim, I know what you would do with that little fellow in NY. :laugh:

Nah, I'd take him and his gf to a Rangers game for sure, for starters. Then while in the City, there are literally tons of places to bring him for a great meal, and plenty that will have great ratings for both meat and veggie lovers. And if you think I would take him to where all the hookers are, well, I'm afraid he would have his woman with him. :coffee:

But maybe the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building. Lived here my whole life and have never been to either!! Maybe the new tower and/or memorial.

I'd love to bring him down South to meet you, maybe let him shoot that canon you had me shoot a few years back, see if he could survive that thing! Seeing him down there would be funny. Shit, seeing myself down there is kinda funny! LOL

Jeff
06-04-2015, 08:45 AM
Nah, I'd take him and his gf to a Rangers game for sure, for starters. Then while in the City, there are literally tons of places to bring him for a great meal, and plenty that will have great ratings for both meat and veggie lovers. And if you think I would take him to where all the hookers are, well, I'm afraid he would have his woman with him. :coffee:

But maybe the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building. Lived here my whole life and have never been to either!! Maybe the new tower and/or memorial.

I'd love to bring him down South to meet you, maybe let him shoot that canon you had me shoot a few years back, see if he could survive that thing! Seeing him down there would be funny. Shit, seeing myself down there is kinda funny! LOL

Y'all come on down, we would have fun. :dev2:

jimnyc
06-04-2015, 08:56 AM

While in the city - "no hookery but plenty of lookery" :laugh:

Hell, he may like the South. The beautiful country, bet they would love that. The food is still awesome. Just happens to be filled with guns and conservatives. :)

Abbey Marie
06-04-2015, 10:14 AM

:laugh2:

red states rule
06-06-2015, 11:39 AM
Jim, Jeff, Abbey you guys are always welcome in my neck of the woods. While I do not indulge i adult beverages, I would be happy to buy one for all of you. I would be a delight to finally meet my internet friends

But in reality, we all have to deal with obnoxious twits who preach to stop bitching so violently at people. Demand other turn down the attitudes and be nice to people - but in real life do the opposite and are walking breathing advertisements for hypocrisy

WiccanLiberal
06-06-2015, 12:01 PM
Truth to tell the arguments are why we are here. But the venom we see in some threads is unnecessary. And I am sure I and V4R would probably get along great with almost everyone here. Maybe we need a group BBQ meet up. I can do pita and veggie kabobs. Burgers for those who favor a carnivorous lifestyle. And I have everything from classical to country to new age to old school rock in the music library. A few Heinekens and some homemade iced tea and we are all set.

red states rule
06-06-2015, 12:03 PM
Truth to tell the arguments are why we are here. But the venom we see in some threads is unnecessary. And I am sure I and V4R would probably get along great with almost everyone here. Maybe we need a group BBQ meet up. I can do pita and veggie kabobs. Burgers for those who favor a carnivorous lifestyle. And I have everything from classical to country to new age to old school rock in the music library. A few Heinekens and some homemade iced tea and we are all set.

Sounds good. I love the burgers with all the toppings

But we can't forget the KFC Original.

Abbey Marie
06-06-2015, 02:09 PM
Jim, Jeff, Abbey you guys are always welcome in my neck of the woods. While I do not indulge i adult beverages, I would be happy to buy one for all of you. I would be a delight to finally meet my internet friends

But in reality, we all have to deal with obnoxious twits who preach to stop bitching so violently at people. Demand other turn down the attitudes and be nice to people - but in real life do the opposite and are walking breathing advertisements for hypocrisy

I think that would be a blast!

red states rule
06-06-2015, 02:13 PM
I think that would be a blast!

I would be. We can go to Texas Road House and enjoy some live music and some damn fine steaks

tailfins
06-06-2015, 02:49 PM

Or not. Whatever.

I need practice in dealing with difficult people. If people stop being difficult here at DP, how will I keep my skills sharp?

jimnyc
06-06-2015, 03:14 PM
I need practice in dealing with difficult people. If people stop being difficult here at DP, how will I keep my skills sharp?

Deal in a different way maybe? It's very possible to deal with difficult people, have passionate debates and other stuff - without it leading to wars and catastrophes! And I don't mean you, just speaking in general. You're skills would be MUCH better, and everyone's would, if the dealing/debating was done politely. I think it pisses people off more when you beat them friendly, and with facts - as opposed to the proverbial shit hitting the fan.

tailfins
06-06-2015, 03:21 PM
Deal in a different way maybe? It's very possible to deal with difficult people, have passionate debates and other stuff - without it leading to wars and catastrophes! And I don't mean you, just speaking in general. You're skills would be MUCH better, and everyone's would, if the dealing/debating was done politely. I think it pisses people off more when you beat them friendly, and with facts - as opposed to the proverbial shit hitting the fan.

My focus is not to enrage people. If you view things through the lens of seeing people's reaction to things online as a rehearsal to meeting real people that are similar, you will get the point of more of my posts. Sometimes the point is to learn the characteristics of certain kinds of people so they can be avoided at all cost. I have managed to make three real life friends partially as a result of seeing examples of how people react here at DP.

That includes the guy in the thread below:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?45658-How-would-you-deal-with-this-kind-of-person&highlight=favor

He decided to apply for jobs that required less programming prowess. He landed one. I would like to think partially from my input, he became more realistic in his abilities.

jimnyc
06-06-2015, 03:35 PM
My focus is not to enrage people. If you view things through the lens of seeing people's reaction to things online as a rehearsal to meeting real people that are similar, you will get the point of more of my posts. Sometimes the point is to learn the characteristics of certain kinds of people so they can be avoided at all cost. I have managed to make three real life friends partially as a result of seeing examples of how people react here at DP.

I think you sometimes, and even admittedly, will poke a little bit, looking for responses. Perhaps the point is to learn, but you should be able to see that sometimes it does make folks angry. Or it may make them sad, or disappointed. Trust me, with my son who has Aspergers, I fully understand emotions and understanding others. How about sometimes instead of testing/learning, simply ask polite questions of others at times? I think the folks here who know you would answer questions about situations, and it certainly beats being poked at.

Most people can't understand emotions in posts unless there are smileys, or folks know one another real well. If others mess with one another, it can very easily be misinterpreted.

There's ALWAYS an easier way to gain knowledge and understanding without pissing off others, even if accidentally.

For example, read just the last 4 posts. No anger, you even explained it's not meant to anger, a little explanation from both sides, some recommendations. No?

Gunny
06-06-2015, 03:46 PM
Good appeal! http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/good.gif

Try practicing what you preach, Mr Ignore Function.:rolleyes:

Gunny
06-06-2015, 03:49 PM

A vegetarian restaurant? No wonder he's got no testosterone. If I ever come to NY (don't hold your breath), it's Saltgrass Steakhouse even if we have to road trip to PA.

jimnyc
06-06-2015, 03:59 PM
A vegetarian restaurant? No wonder he's got no testosterone. If I ever come to NY (don't hold your breath), it's Saltgrass Steakhouse even if we have to road trip to PA.

There are so many awesome steak joints in the city that I can't even remember them all. Here's a few places for Noir. I would just stick a few burgers in my pocket if I went with him. :)

http://www.dirtcandynyc.com/

or a little more classier - http://www.candle79.com/

Hey Noir, do you drink at all? I may not know the best veggie places, but I know where all the good beer and booze is!!

tailfins
06-06-2015, 07:45 PM
I think you sometimes, and even admittedly, will poke a little bit, looking for responses. Perhaps the point is to learn, but you should be able to see that sometimes it does make folks angry. Or it may make them sad, or disappointed. Trust me, with my son who has Aspergers, I fully understand emotions and understanding others. How about sometimes instead of testing/learning, simply ask polite questions of others at times? I think the folks here who know you would answer questions about situations, and it certainly beats being poked at.

Most people can't understand emotions in posts unless there are smileys, or folks know one another real well. If others mess with one another, it can very easily be misinterpreted.

There's ALWAYS an easier way to gain knowledge and understanding without pissing off others, even if accidentally.

For example, read just the last 4 posts. No anger, you even explained it's not meant to anger, a little explanation from both sides, some recommendations. No?

I mean this to be helpful plus learn a thing or two: Has your son been to a human funeral? If not, do you think the death of a pet is helps prepare for a human death? If you watch the TV show "Hoarders", you will see the consequences of not preparing children to deal with death. When we scattered my sister's ashes in early June of last year, my nephew was totally selfish. That nephew slipped on a rock and gave me a chance to grab a handful of ashes and hand to my sons. I played dumb, but knew he wanted to hog the experience for himself. Here is her final resting place at the end tip of Hampton Beach jetty.

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I00004MB_49PuGTE/s/700/600/SM935-04.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3479/3785733897_1e97f00fd0_b.jpg

Jeff
06-06-2015, 08:25 PM
Try practicing what you preach, Mr Ignore Function.:rolleyes:

Hey you be quiet Gunny, your on ignore. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Noir
06-06-2015, 09:23 PM
Hey Noir, do you drink at all? I may not know the best veggie places, but I know where all the good beer and booze is!!

Nope, no alcohol.

red states rule
06-07-2015, 06:05 AM
There are so many awesome steak joints in the city that I can't even remember them all. Here's a few places for Noir. I would just stick a few burgers in my pocket if I went with him. :)

http://www.dirtcandynyc.com/

or a little more classier - http://www.candle79.com/

What is your favorite steak joint Jim?

I love Outback. The Bloomin' Onion is awesome

When I have the cash I go to Baltimore for Ruth Chris. The worlds best but $$$$$

jimnyc
06-07-2015, 06:20 AM
I mean this to be helpful plus learn a thing or two: Has your son been to a human funeral? If not, do you think the death of a pet is helps prepare for a human death? If you watch the TV show "Hoarders", you will see the consequences of not preparing children to deal with death. When we scattered my sister's ashes in early June of last year, my nephew was totally selfish. That nephew slipped on a rock and gave me a chance to grab a handful of ashes and hand to my sons. I played dumb, but knew he wanted to hog the experience for himself. Here is her final resting place at the end tip of Hampton Beach jetty.

Children learn through emotion and experience. As a child for me, and for my son, we experienced loss through pets. My first few were hamsters, fish and rabbits. Jordan lost a few hamsters. Then in 2010 I lost my Mom, his Grandmother. Of course he was only 10 years old, but old enough to know. He went to the funeral of course. It's difficult for children too, but easier. We want our kids to learn, but not overexpose them to something like that. Allow them to understand, but don't scare them.

But do I think it helps prepare? Absolutely. At some point, everyone needs to learn that we all face death at some point. We are all going to face the grieving, it's almost unavoidable.

jimnyc
06-07-2015, 06:21 AM
What is your favorite steak joint Jim?

I love Outback. The Bloomin' Onion is awesome

When I have the cash I go to Baltimore for Ruth Chris. The worlds best but $$$$$

It's difficult locally, but I like Ruth's Chris. But if I can get into the city - then either Smith & Wollensky, or Peter Luger. Of course you'll be broke for awhile, but man do they have good steaks!!

jimnyc
06-07-2015, 06:23 AM
Nope, no alcohol.

No smoking, no alcohol, no meat. Do you eat junk food at least? Do you do anything bad at least? If you come here, you HAVE to do something bad if ya hit the city!! Damn, didn't you pick up any bad habits where you live? :poke:

tailfins
06-07-2015, 08:11 AM
Children learn through emotion and experience. As a child for me, and for my son, we experienced loss through pets. My first few were hamsters, fish and rabbits. Jordan lost a few hamsters. Then in 2010 I lost my Mom, his Grandmother. Of course he was only 10 years old, but old enough to know. He went to the funeral of course. It's difficult for children too, but easier. We want our kids to learn, but not overexpose them to something like that. Allow them to understand, but don't scare them.

But do I think it helps prepare? Absolutely. At some point, everyone needs to learn that we all face death at some point. We are all going to face the grieving, it's almost unavoidable.

I grew up thinking the normal reaction at a funeral was anger. What I saw were fights over small amounts of money and fights who the deceased loved the most. I also saw it as an opportunity to air old grievances and bad-mouth family members you didn't like. As an added bonus, if you were previously just being nice to a family member to please the deceased, it was an opportunity to send a certified letter prohibiting further contact with the threat of criminal charges for harassment. I didn't consciously intend to make you sad. But what if I did subconsciously? How does one know? And if they do know, how does one modify one's subconscious? The preacher says by memorizing scripture that deals with the topic at hand. I can't really think of any other ways.

Before my Mom's funeral, I started to dial 911. At my full blooded sister's house where everyone was gathering beforehand, my sister asked me to wait. The half siblings left on their own, not wanting to be in jail on the day of the funeral.

jimnyc
06-07-2015, 08:21 AM
I grew up thinking the normal reaction at a funeral was anger. What I saw were fights over small amounts of money and fights who the deceased loved the most. I also saw it as an opportunity to air old grievances and bad-mouth family members you didn't like. As an added bonus, if you were previously just being nice to a family member to please the deceased, it was an opportunity to send a certified letter prohibiting further contact with the threat of criminal charges for harassment. I didn't consciously intend to make you sad. But what if I did subconsciously? How does one know? And if they do know, how does one modify one's subconscious? The preacher says by memorizing scripture that deals with the topic at hand. I can't really think of any other ways.

I'm saddened that you had to deal with such. I've been to like 30-40 funerals over the years. Friends, family and friends of friends and such. I've not once seen money fights or the stuff you speak of. Most people tend to be extra respectful when attending funerals. Generally very quiet, friendly discussion of memories. And yep, seeing people you may not have seen in awhile, and maybe even reconnecting. Just because you dealt with those things that doesn't mean it's the typical at funerals. What you experienced is WAY out of the norm. Most places would ask those folks to leave or take it outside if they saw such behavior.

As for whether you make someone purposely sad, indirectly, subconsciously or whatever, really makes no difference to me. Unfortunately it will reflect badly on you regardless. Funerals and discussions around deaths of loved ones, just simply aren't the place to discuss the things you mention.

Gunny
06-07-2015, 10:24 AM
Hey you be quiet Gunny, your on ignore. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Damn the luck.:laugh: Putting ME on ignore is just playing MY game. :laugh:

I was going to suggest a medium-rare ribeye, baked potato, steamed asparagus and a salad.

DLT
06-07-2015, 12:48 PM

Or not. Whatever.

Hmm? Somebody not being nice here? I'm....shocked, I tell ya.

Abbey Marie
06-07-2015, 07:56 PM
I'm saddened that you had to deal with such. I've been to like 30-40 funerals over the years. Friends, family and friends of friends and such. I've not once seen money fights or the stuff you speak of. Most people tend to be extra respectful when attending funerals. Generally very quiet, friendly discussion of memories. And yep, seeing people you may not have seen in awhile, and maybe even reconnecting. Just because you dealt with those things that doesn't mean it's the typical at funerals. What you experienced is WAY out of the norm. Most places would ask those folks to leave or take it outside if they saw such behavior.

As for whether you make someone purposely sad, indirectly, subconsciously or whatever, really makes no difference to me. Unfortunately it will reflect badly on you regardless. Funerals and discussions around deaths of loved ones, just simply aren't the place to discuss the things you mention.

Same here. I've been to dozens of funerals over the years, and have never seen such behavior. Including a funeral where my brothers weren't on speaking terms; they just stayed on opposite sides of the room. It's called respect for the dead, and the living who are mourning. Pathetic to do otherwise.

tailfins
06-07-2015, 08:44 PM
Same here. I've been to dozens of funerals over the years, and have never seen such behavior. Including a funeral where my brothers weren't on speaking terms; they just stayed on opposite sides of the room. It's called respect for the dead, and the living who are mourning. Pathetic to do otherwise.

My mother's funeral 11 years ago was the last I went to, unless you count my full-blood sister's ash scattering last year. I have to give my full-blood sister credit. Her style was to cover the bases while our half-siblings were busy being belligerent and insulting. For example, she quickly registered me to deliver the eulogy, which was a hellfire and brimstone speech with a choice of accepting Jesus as your savior and seeing her again in glory or being separated for eternity. I honored her by stating examples how she left no doubt she was a saved woman.

While you may think such things are pathetic, try this on for size: My full-blood sister shut down her resale shop to take care of Mom for two years with end stage kidney disease. My sister asked for less than minimum wage. Our half siblings tried insisting she do it for free and constantly made false elder abuse complaints which were investigated and ruled unfounded. When asked if they wanted to take a few shifts they insulting said "it's not our fault if you can't take the heat." Therefore, once Mom was dead they came to my full-blooded sister's house from out of state and they started their insults and intimidation, I told them to get out or go to jail. My full-blooded sister and I didn't lift a finger to help them greet guests two days later, only showing up at the last minute for the funeral.

My full-blooded sister was named to handle the non-real estate part of the belongings and my oldest half brother the real estate. I left that oldest half-brother an answering machine message recommending he stay up nights worrying about making a mistake because I was itchin' to file a criminal complaint against him for estate fraud. Even back then I made more money in a month than my inheritance, so it wasn't about the money, it was about an opportunity to watch him face criminal charges. I was wanting to see if he could "take the heat".

Jeff
06-08-2015, 07:23 AM
Damn the luck.:laugh: Putting ME on ignore is just playing MY game. :laugh:

I was going to suggest a medium-rare ribeye, baked potato, steamed asparagus and a salad.

The hell with him, but hell man what time do we eat, that sounds good to me !!!!

I believe what Tf is talking about generally doesn't come out in public out of respect to the deceased, but yes I have heard this many times, many folks sit in that funeral home wondering what is at the deceased house they can get and that is sickening. I have watched it in my own family and just about every funeral I have ever been to has at least one family member that is just that way, Example The Saprano's, I think most have watched that show and most knew what a idiot Tony's sister was, and she proved it when the Mom passed, all that was on her mind was having the funeral her way and what she might get from her Mom's estate.

I have told both my Mom ( May she R.I.P. ) and my Dad, I really don't want a thing when they pass, what I would like is something that means a lot to me that they owned/used before passing, my Mom had a statue she kept on her dresser, I remembered it from some of my first memories, it now sits on my dresser and I think of my Mom every morning when I look at it. As for my Dad, :laugh: I told him the same thing about just a little something, he had a old 12 gauge shot gun that was rusted up and not worth anything really, but I told him I would love to have that, he looked at me and said heck, I wish you would of told me I gave it to so and so last week. :laugh: He looked at it as trash and the guy he gave it to hunts all the time so he thought why not.

Our society is truly a stingy one, now with all that said if you go to a funeral and don't know the family all that well or are smart and just don't listen yes it is all about respect for the dead, but I usually get stuck talking to someone that wants to tell me the story of the family member that thinks everything should be theirs.

Gunny
06-08-2015, 11:16 AM

Really? I've been to only 3. That's when you find out greed outweighs family. People you think you know turn into complete morons. I watched my ex's family start arguing over dividing his stuff before he was dead. They were all from NY, btw. :)

My family was as bad when my grandfather died. Let's don't pay attention to the grandmother in complete shock from his death, and let's divide up his stuff when SHE wasn't dead and it all went to HER. And run around acting like fools? Several acted like Christ had died when I was the only one that ever game them the time of day. He had more "favorites" after he was dead than he ever got visits while he was alive.

I can say without a doubt my family hasn't been the same since. I usually have a good poker face but I think the contempt was written all over my face in bold caps. So, never ones to be wrong, it was all MY fault they were acting like idiots. And most of y'all have known me for a dozen years. THEY have known me for over 50. You KNOW if you push my button you're going to get an opinion.

The hell with him, but hell man what time do we eat, that sounds good to me !!!!

Well, since live in GA, it's catfish and hushpuppies at Pritchett's. It's somewhere around Columbus. My paternal grandfather retired at Ft Benning out of the 7th. Or we could get a bucket of chicken and head for Flat Rock State Park. Watching you bust your a$$ would work for me.:laugh:

I believe what Tf is talking about generally doesn't come out in public out of respect to the deceased, but yes I have heard this many times, many folks sit in that funeral home wondering what is at the deceased house they can get and that is sickening. I have watched it in my own family and just about every funeral I have ever been to has at least one family member that is just that way, Example The Saprano's, I think most have watched that show and most knew what a idiot Tony's sister was, and she proved it when the Mom passed, all that was on her mind was having the funeral her way and what she might get from her Mom's estate.

I have told both my Mom ( May she R.I.P. ) and my Dad, I really don't want a thing when they pass, what I would like is something that means a lot to me that they owned/used before passing, my Mom had a statue she kept on her dresser, I remembered it from some of my first memories, it now sits on my dresser and I think of my Mom every morning when I look at it. As for my Dad, :laugh: I told him the same thing about just a little something, he had a old 12 gauge shot gun that was rusted up and not worth anything really, but I told him I would love to have that, he looked at me and said heck, I wish you would of told me I gave it to so and so last week. :laugh: He looked at it as trash and the guy he gave it to hunts all the time so he thought why not.

Our society is truly a stingy one, now with all that said if you go to a funeral and don't know the family all that well or are smart and just don't listen yes it is all about respect for the dead, but I usually get stuck talking to someone that wants to tell me the story of the family member that thinks everything should be theirs.

Hell, they don't wait for the funeral home. The "family pow-wow" goes down at the dinner table while he's still on the respirator at the hospital.

And kudo's to you. I never wanted any of their "stuff". It meant nothing to me. My family tried to drag me into that crap and I was like "Fuck YOU". I'd rather have had the man back. They just wanted his stuff, and really, it was worthless. I was beyond disgusted.

sundaydriver
06-08-2015, 11:49 AM
Greed upon someone's death, I've seen it at it's best. I once visited my Grandmother only to find her on the phone with the police as she was worried about the neighbor next door who had not been seen in days and she knew he was home but didn't respond to calls. Being good neighbors they had keys to each others houses for emergencies but Grandma was too feeble to go over. The cops wouldn't come and suggested that since someone else was now there that I should go over and call them back if there was a problem.

I took the key and went next door where I could hear a dog barking inside and see the car in the garage. I unlocked the kitchen door and immediately was greeted by a Yorkie and an overpowering stench of decaying flesh as it was a hot August and the house was fully closed.

He was 3 days dead in his bed, uncovered, naked of course. Bloated and bottom half black from the settling of blood. Called the cops, they called the Coroner, while I took the dog outside to wait away from the stench.

When everyone arrived we went back inside where someone found a phone number for a friend who he and his wife arrived shortly. This couple burst into the bedroom containing the gross sight & smell of their dearly departed friend and declared; we're his best friends, did you find his will because we're his main beneficiaries. They immediately started searching for the will and asked the rest of us to please help. The cops, coroner, and I were stunned as these people ignored everything and started to ransack the house looking for proof that this was now all theirs. The cops escorted the couple out after a few minutes with them complaining all the way about the need to find that will.

I'm sure that poor guy got the cheapest funeral ever from his best friends.

Gunny
06-08-2015, 12:06 PM
Greed upon someone's death, I've seen it at it's best. I once visited my Grandmother only to find her on the phone with the police as she was worried about the neighbor next door who had not been seen in days and she knew he was home but didn't respond to calls. Being good neighbors they had keys to each others houses for emergencies but Grandma was too feeble to go over. The cops wouldn't come and suggested that since someone else was now there that I should go over and call them back if there was a problem.

I took the key and went next door where I could hear a dog barking inside and see the car in the garage. I unlocked the kitchen door and immediately was greeted by a Yorkie and an overpowering stench of decaying flesh as it was a hot August and the house was fully closed.

He was 3 days dead in his bed, uncovered, naked of course. Bloated and bottom half black from the settling of blood. Called the cops, they called the Coroner, while I took the dog outside to wait away from the stench.

When everyone arrived we went back inside where someone found a phone number for a friend who he and his wife arrived shortly. This couple burst into the bedroom containing the gross sight & smell of their dearly departed friend and declared; we're his best friends, did you find his will because we're his main beneficiaries. They immediately started searching for the will and asked the rest of us to please help. The cops, coroner, and I were stunned as these people ignored everything and started to ransack the house looking for proof that this was now all theirs. The cops escorted the couple out after a few minutes with them complaining all the way about the need to find that will.

I'm sure that poor guy got the cheapest funeral ever from his best friends.

Nice. I wonder if people like that can actually look in the mirror with a straight face.

Abbey Marie
06-08-2015, 03:06 PM
Really? I've been to only 3. That's when you find out greed outweighs family. People you think you know turn into complete morons. I watched my ex's family start arguing over dividing his stuff before he was dead. They were all from NY, btw. :)

My family was as bad when my grandfather died. Let's don't pay attention to the grandmother in complete shock from his death, and let's divide up his stuff when SHE wasn't dead and it all went to HER. And run around acting like fools? Several acted like Christ had died when I was the only one that ever game them the time of day. He had more "favorites" after he was dead than he ever got visits while he was alive.

I can say without a doubt my family hasn't been the same since. I usually have a good poker face but I think the contempt was written all over my face in bold caps. So, never ones to be wrong, it was all MY fault they were acting like idiots. And most of y'all have known me for a dozen years. THEY have known me for over 50. You KNOW if you push my button you're going to get an opinion.

I have seen my share of greedy people, heck I even worked in Estate Administration. But no, I've never seen anyone start this crap AT the funeral.
I repeat, pathetic.

gabosaurus
06-08-2015, 03:30 PM
Funerals are for respect and remembrance. Anyone who attempts otherwise should be shown the door.

Abbey Marie
06-08-2015, 04:05 PM
Funerals are for respect and remembrance. Anyone who attempts otherwise should be shown the door.

:thumb: Seems so obvious, doesn't it?

Balu
06-08-2015, 07:39 PM
"After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box."

Dear Mr. Abbey,
Your signature is delightful! http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/good.gif

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-08-2015, 08:12 PM

Dear Mr. Abbey,

So true, as a chess player myself , I've always loved her signature and her well thought out posts too.. --Tyr

Noir
06-08-2015, 08:13 PM
No smoking, no alcohol, no meat. Do you eat junk food at least? Do you do anything bad at least? If you come here, you HAVE to do something bad if ya hit the city!! Damn, didn't you pick up any bad habits where you live? :poke:

Like I'd eat crisps or pot noodles as far as junk food goes but a lot of off-the-shelf junk contains animal bits so it all depends.

Drummond
06-08-2015, 10:21 PM

I can't conceive of anyone having a favourite food that was vegetarian based. My tastes have changed over the years ... decades ago, I'd enjoy fish, like salmon or tuna. Several years ago, it was liver. Today, thick-cut beefsteaks get the tastebuds into overdrive (or pork chops as a close second best) ... that, and meat-crammed steak & kidney pies ...

Like I'd eat crisps or pot noodles as far as junk food goes but a lot of off-the-shelf junk contains animal bits so it all depends.

Noir, human beings are omnivores. We are SUPPOSED to include meat in our diet. Sticking to a vegetarian diet needs meticulous planning if you want to stay healthy, precisely BECAUSE it's an unnatural state for people to go through.

I could never stick to a vegetarian diet. I'd have the knowledge to make it work, but I'd forever feel that my diet was incomplete. The proper enjoyment of food would be gone ... I'd rarely feel I'd eaten a meal that had satisfied me.

Balu
06-08-2015, 10:33 PM

Dear Mr. Abbey,

Sorry for my wrong addressing to you Mrs. Abbey. I am really confused. http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/blush2.gif

Voted4Reagan
06-09-2015, 08:21 AM
I would certainly sit with Noir and have a few drinks... Same goes for Gabby. Gabby and Wiccan_Liberal would get along great.

I could sit with almost anyone here... we all have things we could discuss and we certainly wouldn't be yelling at one another...

Anyone talk to Marcus recently?? I miss that Dumbass...

Noir
06-09-2015, 09:46 AM
Noir, human beings are omnivores. We are SUPPOSED to include meat in our diet. Sticking to a vegetarian diet needs meticulous planning if you want to stay healthy, precisely BECAUSE it's an unnatural state for people to go through. I could never stick to a vegetarian diet. I'd have the knowledge to make it work, but I'd forever feel that my diet was incomplete. The proper enjoyment of food would be gone ... I'd rarely feel I'd eaten a meal that had satisfied me.

I'd happily discuss veganism in a dedicated thread if it so interests you, but if not i'll leave at this - what you call 'meticulous planning' is simply nutritional awareness that anyone should have regardless of their diet.

revelarts
06-09-2015, 12:55 PM
I'd happily discuss veganism in a dedicated thread if it so interests you, but if not i'll leave at this - what you call 'meticulous planning' is simply nutritional awareness that anyone should have regardless of their diet.

for vegans and vegetarians it's my understanding that there has to be special attention on EPA,DHA with Omega-3s, Omega-6s and B12, iodine and calcium
Without supplementation there's just not going to be enough for good health.

but we all could probably do better with
Vitamin D, Magnesium and Calcium and plenty of others

Abbey Marie
06-09-2015, 03:44 PM
Sorry for my wrong addressing to you Mrs. Abbey. I am really confused. http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/blush2.gif

Balu, I did not even notice. No problem!

(Let's say my husband is Mr. Abbey ;) )

Abbey Marie
06-09-2015, 03:49 PM

I have read about studies that have shown a link between red meat and pancreatic cancer. My husband's family (including his father) have a history of terminal pancreatic cancer. It's a very quickly lethal, and ugly disease. Though we did not know about that link 20 years ago when we stopped eating red meat (and pork, veal, etc.), it makes me even happier that we did.

Perianne
06-09-2015, 04:27 PM

Dear Mr. Abbey,

Abbey, are you a man?

Abbey Marie
06-09-2015, 04:39 PM
Abbey, are you a man?

Wait, let me check...

Looks down...

Nope!

:cool:

Balu
06-09-2015, 04:53 PM
I have read about studies that have shown a link between red meat and pancreatic cancer. My husband's family (including his father) have a history of terminal pancreatic cancer. It's a very quickly lethal, and ugly disease. Though we did not know about that link 20 years ago when we stopped eating red meat (and pork, veal, etc.), it makes me even happier that we did.
In ancient China one of the forms of the death penalty was that the offender was put in a cell and fed only by fat meat. Soon, due to the inability to digest this food, the sentenced died in agony.
On the other hand in the Caucasus the traditional national cuisine of the natives is based on great quantites of roasted and boiled meat combined with vegetable seasoning, spicy sauces and natural home-made dry wine, which adds pectins promoting digestion. These regions are known for their the centenarians. It is natural that such a high-calorie food requires an active lifestyle and considerable physical exertion.
So, everything depends, an even a snake poison may become a treatment.
Usually national cuisinses formed for centures, provide a balanced diet and accompaned with religion fasting is very useful for a person's health.

Perianne
06-09-2015, 04:59 PM
Abbey, are you a man?

Wait, let me check...

Looks down...

Nope!

Are you sure? Nowadays gender is fluid! :laugh:

Drummond
06-09-2015, 07:10 PM

It doesn't greatly interest me these days, no, Noir. Many years ago, out of academic interest, I did some studying of veganism. It became clear to me then that my description of 'meticulous planning' couldn't help but be an accurate one.

Let me point out a flaw to you in all of this.

You yourself refer to 'nutritional awareness'. OK, as I've acknowledged, with enough knowledge and planning, veganism can be made to work (although Revelarts also has a point, when he points out the need to include supplementation).

However ... would people have had that awareness, say, 100 years ago ? And even ignoring the greater difficulties in information dissemination from that era, there were still discoveries yet to be made back then.

The chances of planning a completely balanced vegan diet, one meeting all nutritional needs, would - back then - have been fairly remote, I suggest.

And, for why ? Because, Noir, veganism is NOT a natural diet, it's NOT one human beings were ever designed to follow.

And it's not even that simple. More recent knowledge does, on occasions, throw out previous misconceptions. For example ... that spinach can be counted on as a good supplier of iron. YES, iron is plentiful in spinach. But, it's extremely poorly absorbed .... UNLESS combined with a good supply of vitamin C (an example of that 'meticulous planning' I referred to ..). And there are other problems there, too ...

http://healthandhomeopath.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/palak-paneer-story-if-you-thought.html

Spinach is considered to be a rich source of iron. For example, the United States Department of Agriculture states that a 180 g serving of boiled spinach contains 6.43 mg of iron, whereas one 170 g ground hamburger patty contains at most 4.42 mg.

The bioavailability of iron is dependent on its absorption. This is influenced by a number of factors.

Iron enters the body in two forms: nonheme iron and heme iron. All of the iron in grains and vegetables, and about three fifths of the iron in animal food sources (meats), is nonheme iron. The much smaller remaining portion from meats is heme iron. The iron in spinach is poorly absorbed by the body unless eaten with vitamin C. The type of iron found in spinach is non-blood (non-heme), a plant iron, which the body does not absorb as efficiently as blood (heme) iron, found in meat.The larger portion of dietary iron (nonheme) is absorbed slowly in its many food sources, including spinach.

This absorption may vary widely depending on the presence of binders such as fiber or enhancers, such as vitamin C. Therefore, the body's absorption of non-heme iron can be improved by consuming foods that are rich in vitamin C. However, spinach contains iron absorption inhibiting substances, including high levels of oxalate which can bind to the iron to form ferrous oxalate, which renders iron in spinach unusable by the body.

Vegans need to depend on two things ..

1. That they have amassed all the knowledge they need to make the great nutritional balancing-act veganism involves a nutritional success.

2. That we know all we truly need to know ! There's a presumption that no more vital discoveries are out there to be made. We think that's true .. but, did scientists believe the same, with comparable certainty, a century ago ??

In ancient China one of the forms of the death penalty was that the offender was put in a cell and fed only by fat meat. Soon, due to the inability to digest this food, the sentenced died in agony.
On the other hand in the Caucasus the traditional national cuisine of the natives is based on great quantites of roasted and boiled meat combined with vegetable seasoning, spicy sauces and natural home-made dry wine, which adds pectins promoting digestion. These regions are known for their the centenarians. It is natural that such a high-calorie food requires an active lifestyle and considerable physical exertion.
So, everything depends, an even a snake poison may become a treatment.
Usually national cuisinses formed for centures, provide a balanced diet and accompaned with religion fasting is very useful for a person's health.

Interesting. But still, sometimes, more needs to be considered than even the correct food choices.

People need trace elements in their diet. Without supplementation, food is the source of that. But, who's to say that foods you eat are guaranteed to contain them to a satisfactory level ?

A crop may seemingly flourish where it's planted. But if the soil is deficient in minerals which help make the digested foodstuff properly nutritious, then people might be just fooling themselves into thinking their diet is a 'good' and properly healthy one.

See ...

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2519&dat=19770929&id=k-JdAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Dl8NAAAAIBAJ&pg=1519,4210572&hl=en

Check out paragraph 4.

I've known for decades that the soil of Sheringham, in Norfolk, England, had particularly high levels of Selenium, a mineral with a powerful antioxidant effect. Many attribute that mineral to increased and healthy survivability. The article is instructive ...

Noir
06-10-2015, 03:15 AM
It doesn't greatly interest me these days, no, Noir.

Then we have little to discuss, wouldn't want to bore you.

Many years ago, out of academic interest, I did some studying of veganism. It became clear to me then that my description of 'meticulous planning' couldn't help but be an accurate one. Let me point out a flaw to you in all of this. You yourself refer to 'nutritional awareness'. OK, as I've acknowledged, with enough knowledge and planning, veganism can be made to work (although Revelarts also has a point, when he points out the need to include supplementation). However ... would people have had that awareness, say, 100 years ago ? And even ignoring the greater difficulties in information dissemination from that era, there were still discoveries yet to be made back then. The chances of planning a completely balanced vegan diet, one meeting all nutritional needs, would - back then - have been fairly remote, I suggest. And, for why ? Because, Noir, veganism is NOT a natural diet, it's NOT one human beings were ever designed to follow.

Less natural than drinking the milk of an animal meant for its calf, yes?

And it's not even that simple. More recent knowledge does, on occasions, throw out previous misconceptions. For example ... that spinach can be counted on as a good supplier of iron. YES, iron is plentiful in spinach. But, it's extremely poorly absorbed .... UNLESS combined with a good supply of vitamin C (an example of that 'meticulous planning' I referred to ..). And there are other problems there, too ... http://healthandhomeopath.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/palak-paneer-story-if-you-thought.html Vegans need to depend on two things .. 1. That they have amassed all the knowledge they need to make the great nutritional balancing-act veganism involves a nutritional success. 2. That we know all we truly need to know ! There's a presumption that no more vital discoveries are out there to be made. We think that's true .. but, did scientists believe the same, with comparable certainty, a century ago ??

I await your post on common misconceptions regarding milk.

for vegans and vegetarians it's my understanding that there has to be special attention on EPA,DHA with Omega-3s, Omega-6s and B12, iodine and calcium Without supplementation there's just not going to be enough for good health. but we all could probably do better with Vitamin D, Magnesium and Calcium and plenty of others

B12 is the only one that can prove awkward depending on your local markets. I am certainly fortunate that getting b12 fortified cereals, tofu, bread etc requires no additional effort.

Jeff
06-10-2015, 06:39 AM
Wait, let me check...

Looks down...

Nope!

Yes she is :laugh::laugh::laugh:

jimnyc
06-10-2015, 08:40 AM
Wait, let me check...

Looks down...

Nope!

That was awesome! I don't know what you even looked at, but a man can dream!! :beer::laugh:

Gunny
06-10-2015, 11:16 AM
:thumb: Seems so obvious, doesn't it?

You would think, wouldn't you? At least hen I'm acting like an a$$ I know it. THAT is the sad part.

These people don't care about anyone but themselves and have no regard for those around them. I can even understand it better when you don't know the person. But family? Nope. Don't get it and won't.

Gunny
06-10-2015, 11:25 AM
for vegans and vegetarians it's my understanding that there has to be special attention on EPA,DHA with Omega-3s, Omega-6s and B12, iodine and calcium
Without supplementation there's just not going to be enough for good health.

but we all could probably do better with
Vitamin D, Magnesium and Calcium and plenty of others

Don't get ME started on supplements. ESPECIALLY the ones that are pimped that DON'T work.:laugh:

Gunny
06-10-2015, 11:34 AM

The problem, you can read a study on just about anything. Waking up in the morning causes cancer. And I'm not making light of what you are saying. I'm just saying... If I was going to blame any one word it would be "excessive". And we, as a society, are exactly that. And have no self-discipline. I love waffles, ice cream and chocolate like the next person. But I won't touch them.

revelarts
06-10-2015, 12:17 PM
Don't get ME started on supplements. ESPECIALLY the ones that are pimped that DON'T work.:laugh:

Yeah OK, some don't do much but see what happens to your body if you don't get enough Omega, iodine or Vitaimin D, B, C, etc..
vitamin deficiency is no joke.

NightTrain
06-10-2015, 12:34 PM
Any time I hear someone talking about how great vegetarian or vegan diets are, I always think of this scene :

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xkR2XEYEFgk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Drummond
06-10-2015, 02:47 PM
Then we have little to discuss, wouldn't want to bore you.

Less natural than drinking the milk of an animal meant for its calf, yes?

I await your post on common misconceptions regarding milk.

B12 is the only one that can prove awkward depending on your local markets. I am certainly fortunate that getting b12 fortified cereals, tofu, bread etc requires no additional effort.

I think the overall point that applies here is that the more varied the diet, so the less likely it is that any deficiences would occur. Veganism, by its nature, IS a limited diet, so unless you know exactly what you're doing, you run the risk of suffering from deficiency illnesses.

You say that B12 is the only awkward consideration (and you tell us how you're able to offset it as a severe problem). Well ... you mention milk drinking. How easily do vegans ensure an adequate calcium intake ?

Your answer - if, again, it involves including FORTIFIED foodstuffs - would favour my argument, not yours. Fortification of foods is a very artificial way of upkeeping a nutritional balance, and I suggest that if no such fortifications ever occurred, vegans would have some severe dietary problems to contend with.

I repeat my earlier point. Vegetarianism, veganism ... these defy what we are DESIGNED to eat, and are therefore unnatural. I suggest that the only real way you can stick to a vegan diet, and be at all confident of not falling ill from it, is by relying on others' contrived methods to artificially give you the means of making it work - be it from fortification, or the availability of supplementation.

Abbey Marie
06-10-2015, 04:36 PM
The problem, you can read a study on just about anything. Waking up in the morning causes cancer. And I'm not making light of what you are saying. I'm just saying... If I was going to blame any one word it would be "excessive". And we, as a society, are exactly that. And have no self-discipline. I love waffles, ice cream and chocolate like the next person. But I won't touch them.

I agree Gunny, that moderation is the key to good food choices.
For me personally, it was never about meat being bad for me, it was a decision made out of compassion for animals. And that is something I will never go back on nor apologize for.
I was just glad for my husband that he is avoiding something that could contribute to a deadly disease that he is at high risk for contracting. I want him to stick around a long, long, time.

Jeff
06-10-2015, 04:59 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7295&stc=1

Abbey Marie
06-10-2015, 05:35 PM
It seems that every time vegetarianism comes up, meat-eaters make jokes about it, usually accompanied by mentions of hunting. Jeff, I am definitely not singling you out. It has happened every time with several different people. I know you are a good guy, and I consider you a friend.

I don't make light of anyone's choice to indulge, nor do I ever lecture or post pictures about it. Why do we not get the same consideration?

(Btw, have you ever had Thai-style tofu, fried and accompanied by a sweet and sour dipping sauce? It is crispy and actually good. I do not like tofu in its usual milky un-fried state, either).

jimnyc
06-10-2015, 06:35 PM
It seems that every time vegetarianism comes up, meat-eaters make jokes about it, usually accompanied by mentions of hunting. Jeff, I am definitely not singling you out. It has happened every time with several different people. I know you are a good guy, and I consider you a friend.

I don't make light of anyone's choice to indulge, nor do I ever lecture or post pictures about it. Why do we not get the same consideration?

(Btw, have you ever had Thai-style tofu, fried and accompanied by a sweet and sour dipping sauce? It is crispy and actually good. I do not like tofu in its usual milky un-fried state, either).

Speaking for myself only...

Often when the veggie discussions are brought up, it's a matter of meat eaters being chastised about hunting, or their choice to continue to eat meat. So I think in return some will go a tad overboard in stating their favorite meat dinners.

But especially because someone is an animal lover, I would never try and rub that in. Not even with Noir. I'm a huge animal lover myself and try to remain ignorant about that part and admit it.

Anyway, speaking for myself about the many times I have spoken up about such things or posted pictures, there was never any offense meant. Hell, I don't think I even remembered you were veggie only!

Often it will be an argument about eating meat - and some will takes sides - and then folks like yourself can be caught in the crossfire. We all know the pics and jabs are meant to poke at those protesting meat eaters, but we often forget that there are folks like you who feel bad when reading/seeing certain things.

I think all of it though has always been a way of :poke:with one another over subjects, figuring it was harmless jabs at one another's usual choices, like mocking someones political choices. Now you make me feel bad for things I've posted in the past. Now whenever I talk about meat I will feel guilty. :(

Abbey Marie
06-10-2015, 06:43 PM
The point I was making was that I don't think I have ever made comments to anyone about what they choose to eat. I have simply stated my choices. But this isn't really about just me or the board. It happens everywhere.

And it certainly isn't about Jeff, who IMO, can do no wrong. :cool:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-10-2015, 07:04 PM
The whole point I was making was that I don't think I have ever made comments to anyone about what they choose to eat. I have simply stated my choices. But this isn't really about just me or the board. It happens everywhere.

Never knew that you did not eat meat my friend..

And it certainly isn't about Jeff, who IMO, can do no wrong.
^^^^ Pretty sure that you simply must have been hitting the the 'ole sauce when you made that comment. :laugh: :poke:--Tyr

jimnyc
06-10-2015, 07:23 PM
^^^^ Pretty sure that you simply must have been hitting the the 'ole sauce when you made that comment. :laugh: :poke:--Tyr

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought that.

"Jeff can do no wrong". LOL yeah, that's funny. I'm gonna give him a little slack, as he has been pretty good here at DP. But c'mon now, I'm his brother, "no wrong"? LOLOL :laugh:

Sorry Jeff, I would probably laugh just as hard if someone said the same about me!! :lol:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-10-2015, 07:30 PM

"Jeff can do no wrong". LOL yeah, that's funny. I'm gonna give him a little slack, as he has been pretty good here at DP. But c'mon now, I'm his brother, "no wrong"? LOLOL :laugh:

Sorry Jeff, I would probably laugh just as hard if someone said the same about me!! :lol:

I would have laughed even more had she said that about you my friend!---:laugh: :poke:

Jeff being a "Southern man" now he gets cut a lot more slack.. :beer: :beer:---Tyr

jimnyc
06-10-2015, 07:33 PM
I just realized the thread title and it brought back memories. Who was into this show? I watched this all the time! What a cast this was, these guys were awesome (and gals)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwgT6QJHB0M

Abbey Marie
06-10-2015, 08:01 PM

Nah, I just know a cool guy when I see one.
:dance:

Jeff
06-10-2015, 08:23 PM

Ms. Abbey I wish I could be PCed enough to explain how I felt chastised about hunting but honestly I made a joke, to be honest I went back to look at the title of the thread before I posted just to make sure, seems this thread didn't start out talking about food. :laugh: I honestly didn't mean no harm and yes I have posted pictures like this before, I didn't see the harm in them as to be honest I was picking at Noir and I knew he would just brush it off. I didn't mean any disrespect to anyone including Noir, as I said I believed he would just brush it off and if he didn't him and I are usually at different ends so he wouldn't care anyway. Quite honestly I didn't think it would offend anyone, I felt as though it would just get laughed off by everyone, see I don't really look at being a vegan or eating meat, heck we all do what we want and what works for us, with that said I am truly sorry and invite everyone to my house for a BBQ, we will be serving steaks. :laugh: J/K y'all will have to bring your own, the vegetarians that is, or give the wife a list and some recipes cause I certainly wouldn't know what to make. :laugh:

Jeff
06-10-2015, 08:34 PM
The point I was making was that I don't think I have ever made comments to anyone about what they choose to eat. I have simply stated my choices. But this isn't really about just me or the board. It happens everywhere.

I will have you both know I am a angel :rofl1: OO heck I don't even believe that, heck I feel like I am back in school and the teacher just gave me a gold star :laugh: ( man I always wanted one of them, heck I use to beat the kids up that got them and took there's ) But Ms. Abbey you made my day, I finally got that Gold star. :thumb:

OO and Ms. Abbey your fried Tofu ( hell I had to go look how it was even spelled :laugh: ) well um it just doesn't do it for me, but if you like it, hey eat all you want. Seriously isn't the Tofu stuff the same type stuff they put in the Hot and Sour soup at a Chinese restaurant ? A kind of fungus or something ? Yup y'all can see I am from the country. :laugh:

And Ms. Abbey I also didn't know you didn't eat meat, as I said I may have seen it before but I just don't pay attention, personally I believe it is your choice what you eat, I just like to cut up about it, didn't mean no offense to anyone.

Jeff
06-10-2015, 08:40 PM
I just realized the thread title and it brought back memories. Who was into this show? I watched this all the time! What a cast this was, these guys were awesome (and gals)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwgT6QJHB0M

I use to love this show but for the wrong reasons, I use to like Rerun but the others where just plain ol goofy and I would pick at them, well come to think of it Rerun was as well, but he was funny to.:laugh:

Jeff
06-10-2015, 08:42 PM
I would have laughed even more had she said that about you my friend!---:laugh: :poke:

Jeff being a "Southern man" now he gets cut a lot more slack.. :beer: :beer:---Tyr

Truth be told, Jim is the bad one out of the bunch. :laugh:

I could tell lots of stories. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

tailfins
06-10-2015, 08:44 PM
Ms. Abbey I wish I could be PCed enough to explain how I felt chastised about hunting but honestly I made a joke, to be honest I went back to look at the title of the thread before I posted just to make sure, seems this thread didn't start out talking about food. :laugh: I honestly didn't mean no harm and yes I have posted pictures like this before, I didn't see the harm in them as to be honest I was picking at Noir and I knew he would just brush it off. I didn't mean any disrespect to anyone including Noir, as I said I believed he would just brush it off and if he didn't him and I are usually at different ends so he wouldn't care anyway. Quite honestly I didn't think it would offend anyone, I felt as though it would just get laughed off by everyone, see I don't really look at being a vegan or eating meat, heck we all do what we want and what works for us, with that said I am truly sorry and invite everyone to my house for a BBQ, we will be serving steaks. :laugh: J/K y'all will have to bring your own, the vegetarians that is, or give the wife a list and some recipes cause I certainly wouldn't know what to make. :laugh:

That sounds so good, Jeff. I just love eating regional specialties. Being in Georgia, does that mean you do Carolina-style barbecue? A funny thing happened today: I was at a popular restaurant and asked if they had "genuine Southern-style sweet tea". The waiter asked "You're not from around here, are you?" Apparently, nobody calls it that. They had it, and it was the real deal.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-10-2015, 08:45 PM
Nah, I just know a cool guy when I see one.
:dance:

I guess you have not seen me in my younger , "cat about town" days ...;)
I was so cool the pretty gals froze when I entered a room. :laugh::laugh::laugh:--Tyr

OK, some of it was fear methinks.... ;)--Tyr

Abbey Marie
06-10-2015, 08:47 PM

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/c5/c5d5b517c9a526eb953dd4fd121667040b3512959c8de616ec 8f2f01190d3540.jpg

Abbey Marie
06-10-2015, 08:47 PM
I guess you have not seen me in my younger , "cat about town" days ...;)
I was so cool the pretty gals froze when I entered a room. :laugh::laugh::laugh:--Tyr

OK, some of it was fear methinks.... ;)--Tyr

:laugh:

Jeff
06-10-2015, 08:49 PM
That sounds so good, Jeff. I just love eating regional specialties. Being in Georgia, does that mean you do Carolina-style barbecue? A funny thing happened today: I was at a popular restaurant and asked if they had "genuine Southern-style sweet tea". The waiter asked "You're not from around here, are you?" Apparently, nobody calls it that. They had it, and it was the real deal.

tf I live 18 miles from the SC line and we have GA style BBQ, difference being ( at least here ) is we have Stew here where in SC you have Hash, I personally like the Hash better.

I can only speak for SC and GA, but when ordering a cold drink in a restaurant down here you get Sweet tea. Ask for Ice Tea and you are going to get some strange looks. :laugh:

Abbey Marie
06-10-2015, 08:51 PM
tf I live 18 miles from the SC line and we have GA style BBQ, difference being ( at least here ) is we have Stew here where in SC you have Hash, I personally like the Hash better.

I can only speak for SC and GA, but when ordering a cold drink in a restaurant down here you get Sweet tea. Ask for Ice Tea and you are going to get some strange looks. :laugh:

What if you're Diabetic? Do you have to drink water or Diet soda?

Jeff
06-10-2015, 08:58 PM

Water would be my guess, I am a diabetic ( at least the Doc thinks so, I was like one point above so they say ) and Laura my wife is a diabetic ( takes the shots for it ) and we order sweet tea, :laugh: Now my numbers are always good, her not so much, if the numbers are up she asks for some sweet tea that isn't that sweet, go figure. :laugh:

But honestly if my numbers are up it is water ( not that I think it has ever happened, but I like a glass of water filled with ice ) and besides down here if you ask for a diet soda , well lets just say you may get some funny looks. :laugh:

When you order a soda down here it is a Coke a Cola, nope you never hear the word soda, most drink Coke a Cola or Pepsi Cola, and some drink Pop, which still cracks me up when I hear it, I usually give a WEELLLL GOOLLLLEEE.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-10-2015, 09:11 PM

I ask for unsweetened iced tea. I STARTED DRINKING MY ICED TEA WITH NO SUGAR ABOUT 25 YEARS AGO.
Will if its very lightly sweetened occasionally drink sweet tea. Or if its sweetened with honey.
Can not stand instant tea. Or the bottled watery crap even with lemon flavor.-TYR

Jeff
06-10-2015, 09:17 PM
I ask for unsweetened iced tea. I STARTED DRINKING MY ICED TEA WITH NO SUGAR ABOUT 25 YEARS AGO.
Will if its very lightly sweetened occasionally drink sweet tea. Or if its sweetened with honey.
Can not stand instant tea. Or the bottled watery crap even with lemon flavor.-TYR

I hear ya on the bottles stuff, but I found one while in Florida that was fantastic, man I will have to check it out and get you a name but it comes in a strange looking bottle, when in Fl with my Dad we would stop at a corner gas station way out in the boonies right before we went into the orange groves, and they had this sweet tea for like 50 cents a bottle, I bought 2 and drank one before leaving the store, yup it is hot in Fl, drank the other while riding through the orange groves, but the next day when we stopped I bought as many would fit in my saddle bags, see my Dad and Step Mom drink mostly water, so they would make a pitcher of sweet tea for me, which was great but was unnecessary, so I filled the fridge with these sweet tea;s, you had to get the one that said with Lemon, if it said sweet on the bottle My Gawd it had half a lb of sugar, and the plain one had a funky taste,

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-10-2015, 09:22 PM
I hear ya on the bottles stuff, but I found one while in Florida that was fantastic, man I will have to check it out and get you a name but it comes in a strange looking bottle, when in Fl with my Dad we would stop at a corner gas station way out in the boonies right before we went into the orange groves, and they had this sweet tea for like 50 cents a bottle, I bought 2 and drank one before leaving the store, yup it is hot in Fl, drank the other while riding through the orange groves, but the next day when we stopped I bought as many would fit in my saddle bags, see my Dad and Step Mom drink mostly water, so they would make a pitcher of sweet tea for me, which was great but was unnecessary, so I filled the fridge with these sweet tea;s, you had to get the one that said with Lemon, if it said sweet on the bottle My Gawd it had half a lb of sugar, and the plain one had a funky taste,

Yes, give me that name as Ive not found one bottled that was not way, way too damn sweet for me..
I am just 7 miles from Memphis and Memphis may have it of its not a very small brand of tea from a small local company there in Florida.-Tyr

Jeff
06-10-2015, 09:26 PM
Yes, give me that name as Ive not found one bottled that was not way, way too damn sweet for me..
I am just 7 miles from Memphis and Memphis may have it of its not a very small brand of tea from a small local company there in Florida.-Tyr

I am heading to the store in just a bit, heck i will take a picture :laugh:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-10-2015, 09:33 PM
Cool, :beer: :beer: -TYR

sundaydriver
06-10-2015, 09:36 PM
I drink a ton of iced tea which I make myself with my favorite mix of teas and lemon. Got this Mr. Coffee machine ~25 years ago as a gift. Cheap & easy to use.

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo302/rover27/41mtxPhM7gL__SY355__zpsx5yeqcmq.jpg (http://s386.photobucket.com/user/rover27/media/41mtxPhM7gL__SY355__zpsx5yeqcmq.jpg.html)

Jeff
06-10-2015, 09:47 PM
I drink a ton of iced tea which I make myself with my favorite mix of teas and lemon. Got this Mr. Coffee machine ~25 years ago as a gift. Cheap & easy to use.

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo302/rover27/41mtxPhM7gL__SY355__zpsx5yeqcmq.jpg (http://s386.photobucket.com/user/rover27/media/41mtxPhM7gL__SY355__zpsx5yeqcmq.jpg.html)

We have one that looks just like it, we had the Mr. coffe but we wore it out after a couple of years, it lasted longer than the ones we have now but cost twice as much, but they all make some dang good sweet tea !!! :thumb: OPPs the OL Lady just told me, the one we have is a Mr. coffee now, but it isn't as good as the original one we had, the new ones leak unless you leave the pitcher there for ever and it must be in the perfect spot or it will leak that way also.

Jeff
06-11-2015, 01:31 AM

Cool, :beer: :beer: -TYR

Dang Bro, I went to the store and forgot all about it, I will get it, stinks getting old. :laugh:

Noir
06-11-2015, 03:40 AM

This IMO is a huge problem, and something that i feel is inescapable. Friends, colleagues, internet, family...as soon as anything to do with veganism crops up the jokes start. Its obvious (in most cases) that people are not trying to be malicious, and so pointing out that they should stop joking comes across as an over-reaction, but when you've heard someone say 'but bacon so tasty mmmm' for the tenth time this week its a lot of willpower to pretend you want to continue having a conversation with them.

Personally i tend to go out of my way to not bring up veganism IRL, but the day i realised it was all in vain was when it was brought up during a team meeting in work, they were planning a pizza day and the team leader asked if there was anything they'd be able to order for me as a vegan, at this a guy i'd been in the same 14 person team for 2 years turned to me and started with the 'you're a vegan? I hate how they always push their lifestyle on other people, when did you last enjoy a juicy burger?'...etc Could of screamed xD

indago
06-11-2015, 05:46 AM
I am NOT a vegan, but a few years back I was at a conference with some friends, and when lunchtime came, we got into my car and headed for a restaurant. One of the guys in the car — someone I didn't know — asked if we had ever eaten at a vegetarian restaurant. None of us had. He mentioned one nearby. We decided to go there.

I ordered a "spaghetti" dinner with "meatballs" and "sauce", and a drink. When the drink came, the waitress suggested that we drink it right away while the enzymes were still working. When the meal came, it looked like spaghetti and meatballs, and I ate only half of it, it was so filling. That evening, I didn't eat any supper. I was stuffed from the lunch, and wasn't even hungry.

jimnyc
06-11-2015, 07:00 AM

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/c5/c5d5b517c9a526eb953dd4fd121667040b3512959c8de616ec 8f2f01190d3540.jpg

Oh hell, I don't care, tell away!! I was a rotten little bastard growing up, but a loveable one!!! :laugh:

Jeff
06-11-2015, 07:17 AM
Oh hell, I don't care, tell away!! I was a rotten little bastard growing up, but a loveable one!!! :laugh:

I meant stories from the last few years :laugh::laugh::laugh:

jimnyc
06-11-2015, 07:19 AM
I meant stories from the last few years :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oh, well those you can't tell. Only growing up stories, there's like a 10 year waiting period before you can tell embarrassing stories!!

tailfins
06-11-2015, 08:12 AM
This IMO is a huge problem, and something that i feel is inescapable. Friends, colleagues, internet, family...as soon as anything to do with veganism crops up the jokes start. Its obvious (in most cases) that people are not trying to be malicious, and so pointing out that they should stop joking comes across as an over-reaction, but when you've heard someone say 'but bacon so tasty mmmm' for the tenth time this week its a lot of willpower to pretend you want to continue having a conversation with them.

Personally i tend to go out of my way to not bring up veganism IRL, but the day i realised it was all in vain was when it was brought up during a team meeting in work, they were planning a pizza day and the team leader asked if there was anything they'd be able to order for me as a vegan, at this a guy i'd been in the same 14 person team for 2 years turned to me and started with the 'you're a vegan? I hate how they always push their lifestyle on other people, when did you last enjoy a juicy burger?'...etc Could of screamed xD

What's the difference between Vegan and Vegetarian? I hope Vegan isn't a blend of Vegetarian and Pagan. To their credit, Hindus aren't pushy with their Vegetarianism. Remember, their are militant Vegans that throw paint on people that consume animal products.

Noir
06-11-2015, 08:48 AM
What's the difference between Vegan and Vegetarian? I hope Vegan isn't a blend of Vegetarian and Pagan. To their credit, Hindus aren't pushy with their Vegetarianism. Remember, their are militant Vegans that throw paint on people that consume animal products.

In so far as possible vegans live without consumption of animal products. Which includes eating meat, dairy, eggs, wearing animal skin, using products that are tested on animals etc.

Jeff
06-11-2015, 10:15 PM
Dang Bro, I went to the store and forgot all about it, I will get it, stinks getting old. :laugh:

OK I remembered tonight, they didn't have the one I like, this one is a bit to sweet, try and get the one that says Lemon Tea.

I took the picture well I was fueling up and I was thirsty so please excuse the lousy picture. :laugh:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7311&stc=1