PDA

View Full Version : Family killed by methane gas

gabosaurus
07-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Must be Republicans, since they are normally full of shit.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,287842,00.html

We're Jumpin Jack Flash, it's a gas, gas, gas

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Deadly methane gas emanating from a dairy farm's manure pit killed five people, including four members of a Mennonite family, authorities said.

Emergency workers speculate each of the victims climbed into the pit in a frantic attempt to rescue the others. "It was a domino effect with one person going in, the second person going after them," Sheriff Don Farley said.

Farley identified the victims as Scott Showalter, 33; his wife, Phyillis, 34; their children, Shayla, 11, and Christina, 9; and Amous Stoltzfus, 24, who worked at the Showalter's dairy farm in the Briery Branch community.

The accident began Monday evening when Scott Showalter tried to transfer manure from one small pit to a larger one, measuring 20 feet by 20 feet and 8 feet deep.

At some point, the pipe that was transferring the manure became clogged, and Scott Showalter climbed in the pit to fix the blockage, Farley said. He apparently was overcome by methane gas, which is a byproduct of the liquefied manure, Farley said.

Emergency workers believe Stoltzfus climbed into the pit in an attempt to rescue Showalter. When the two men didn't come out, Phyillis Showalter and then the couple's two daughters apparently made their way in, all succumbing to the deadly gas.

Dilloduck
07-03-2007, 11:27 AM

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Deadly methane gas emanating from a dairy farm's manure pit killed five people, including four members of a Mennonite family, authorities said.

Emergency workers speculate each of the victims climbed into the pit in a frantic attempt to rescue the others. "It was a domino effect with one person going in, the second person going after them," Sheriff Don Farley said.

Farley identified the victims as Scott Showalter, 33; his wife, Phyillis, 34; their children, Shayla, 11, and Christina, 9; and Amous Stoltzfus, 24, who worked at the Showalter's dairy farm in the Briery Branch community.

The accident began Monday evening when Scott Showalter tried to transfer manure from one small pit to a larger one, measuring 20 feet by 20 feet and 8 feet deep.

At some point, the pipe that was transferring the manure became clogged, and Scott Showalter climbed in the pit to fix the blockage, Farley said. He apparently was overcome by methane gas, which is a byproduct of the liquefied manure, Farley said.

Emergency workers believe Stoltzfus climbed into the pit in an attempt to rescue Showalter. When the two men didn't come out, Phyillis Showalter and then the couple's two daughters apparently made their way in, all succumbing to the deadly gas.

oh ya--those Mennonites are well known for their radical politics.
:laugh2:

gabosaurus
07-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Before I saw the dateline, I was sure this story would be from Arkansas.

Dilloduck
07-03-2007, 11:38 AM

Me too----I hear that "Presidential" library there is a killer. :laugh2:

Who did you pay off to get away with being the board troll?

-Cp
07-03-2007, 11:40 AM
You need to include the link Gabby..

gabosaurus
07-03-2007, 12:44 PM
It's an AP story, cp. In case you don't make a habit of reading, AP stories can be found in any newspaper or web source in the world.

Hagbard Celine
07-03-2007, 01:38 PM
http://members.aol.com/z321go/FartFire.jpg

MtnBiker
07-03-2007, 01:39 PM
That's a shitty way to go.

Nukeman
07-03-2007, 01:40 PM
You know your right because all those great people in Cali would have just let the others die...

You know your a piece of work but I am glad to see that you would think a southerner would jump in to help his fellow man unlike those selfcentered libtards out there....

Monkeybone
07-03-2007, 01:42 PM
for one thing Nuke, in Cali is prob would have been a Mexican working, so they wouldn't have know anything was wrong until they didn't show up for work the next day.

nice pic Hag

Nukeman
07-03-2007, 01:45 PM
for one thing Nuke, in Cali is prob would have been a Mexican working, so they wouldn't have know anything was wrong until they didn't show up for work the next day.

nice pic Hag
You know your probably right. Those high and mighty elite libs in Cali are such great humanitarians aren't they....

darin
07-03-2007, 02:05 PM
It's an AP story, cp. In case you don't make a habit of reading, AP stories can be found in any newspaper or web source in the world.

Members are still required to post Links to their stories.

MtnBiker
07-03-2007, 02:08 PM

Isn't that profiling?

Trigg
07-03-2007, 02:10 PM

Your'e a hatefull little person....

Kathianne
07-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Your'e a hatefull little person....

Yep, that was my thought. Thanks for saying that.

gabosaurus
07-03-2007, 02:45 PM
The member did include a source for her story. It's an AP story. DOH!

MtnBiker
07-03-2007, 02:46 PM
Link, not just source. Duh!

:link:

07-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Did Michael Moore fart again? If so, how were there so few casualties?

MtnBiker
07-03-2007, 02:48 PM
This will work.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,287842,00.html

-Cp
07-03-2007, 03:00 PM

Are you somehow above the rules at DP? ALL POSTS are required to have a link pertaining to the post...

MtnBiker
07-03-2007, 03:01 PM
I posted a link, we don't have to worry about it now. Not a big deal.

Monkeybone
07-03-2007, 03:12 PM
aren't places filled with manure also an anabolic ( i think that is the word) enviroment? cause when it becomes broken/while it is breaking down it uses up most of the oxygen to do it?

Hagbard Celine
07-03-2007, 03:19 PM
aren't places filled with manure also an anabolic ( i think that is the word) enviroment? cause when it becomes broken/while it is breaking down it uses up most of the oxygen to do it?

We don't take kindly to science-types here. You best be movin' on along there feller.
http://www.thewvsr.com/images/hillbilly.jpg

stephanie
07-03-2007, 03:22 PM
We don't take kindly to science-types here. You best be movin' on along there feller.
http://www.thewvsr.com/images/hillbilly.jpg

:lame2:

Hagbard Celine
07-03-2007, 03:22 PM
:lame2:

Ooh, struck a nerve there did I? :laugh:

Monkeybone
07-03-2007, 03:30 PM
:laugh2: it's alright Hag. made me chuckle

stephanie
07-03-2007, 03:48 PM
Ooh, struck a nerve there did I? :laugh:

Didn't strike my nerve...

But, if I were you...I wouldn't post any more pictures of you and your twin brother......

:poke:

Hagbard Celine
07-03-2007, 04:39 PM
Did Michael Moore fart again? If so, how were there so few casualties?

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-ZDJvvT19EI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-ZDJvvT19EI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

glockmail
07-03-2007, 05:49 PM
aren't places filled with manure also an anabolic ( i think that is the word) enviroment? cause when it becomes broken/while it is breaking down it uses up most of the oxygen to do it? It's anaerobic; and those bacteria produce methane as a byproduct instead of CO2.

I'm surpised the farmer didn't know that and take the proper precautions to make the initial repair, then compound it by attempting the rescue without a harness and retriever.