PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Stewart defends UK bakery's decision to refuse 'support gay marriage'

red states rule
06-06-2015, 03:53 AM
Oh brother, Patrick is going to be on the receiving end of a massive tidal wave of tolerance and open mindedness now. He hs made enough money in life so he does not have to work anymore so the libs cannot hurt him there. Congrats for standing by the bakery Patrick!!!!

Patrick Stewart has defended a bakery, which was found guilty of discrimination for refusing to bake a cake with a pro-gay marriage slogan.

Last month, a judge ruled that Ashers Baking Company in Northern Ireland had discriminated against a gay customer (http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/gay-marriage/christian-bakery-guilty-of-discrimination-for-refusing-to-bake-a-cake-advocating-gay-marriage/story-fnizhakg-1227361917125) by refusing to make a cake with the words “support gay marriage”, along with a picture of Bert and Ernie from "Sesame Street."

Gareth Lee commissioned the cake for an event to mark International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia. The bakery initially accepted the order but called Lee two days later to cancel.

Speaking to the BBC’s Newsnight program (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-54iiqwSYu8), Stewart, who starred in the "Star Trek" TV show, said he supported the rights of the bakery to refuse something which they found personally offensive.

“Finally I found myself on the side of the bakers,” he said. “It was not because this was a gay couple they objected, it was not because they were going to be celebrating some kind of marriage, it was the actual words on the cake they objected to, they found them offensive.

“I would support their right to say, ‘No, this is personally offensive to my beliefs, I [will] not do it.’ But I feel bad for them that it cost them [500] quid ($736).”

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/06/05/patrick-stewart-defends-uk-bakery-decision-to-refuse-support-gay-marriage-cake/?intcmp=features

Jeff
06-06-2015, 07:24 AM
Oh brother, Patrick is going to be on the receiving end of a massive tidal wave of tolerance and open mindedness now. He hs made enough money in life so he does not have to work anymore so the libs cannot hurt him there. Congrats for standing by the bakery Patrick!!!!

You know this shouldn't even be a story, the owner of the bakery ought to be able to bake for who he/she decides they want to, and yes this particular cake didn't just say congrats Tom and Harry, Lisa and Marge, it stated I support, no way should he of had to bake this.

But I still wonder if a white guy walks into a black man's bakery and asks for a cake saying I support the KKK if that bakery would have to make it or if anyone would be yelling he ought to, or better yet would it even be a story, other than can you believe the Ba**s of that white guy wanting a poor black man to bake that. :rolleyes:

red states rule
06-06-2015, 07:32 AM
You know this shouldn't even be a story, the owner of the bakery ought to be able to bake for who he/she decides they want to, and yes this particular cake didn't just say congrats Tom and Harry, Lisa and Marge, it stated I support, no way should he of had to bake this.

But I still wonder if a white guy walks into a black man's bakery and asks for a cake saying I support the KKK if that bakery would have to make it or if anyone would be yelling he ought to, or better yet would it even be a story, other than can you believe the Ba**s of that white guy wanting a poor black man to bake that. :rolleyes:

I agree it should not be a story. But Jeff, the "offended" are all around u these days

I wonder how the left would react if a black owner of a print shop refused to print signs, banners, and handout for a KKK rally. Would they lecture the black owner over tolerance amd take him/her to court?

I doubt it

Seems there are many people out there demanding others get along, be nice, and exercise tolerance - are the ones who blow a gasket over the most meaningless things

Jeff
06-06-2015, 07:40 AM
I agree it should not be a story. But Jeff, the "offended" are all around u these days

I wonder how the left would react if a black owner of a print shop refused to print signs, banners, and handout for a KKK rally. Would they lecture the black owner over tolerance amd take him/her to court?

I doubt it

Seems there are many people out there demanding others get along, be nice, and exercise tolerance - are the ones who blow a gasket over the most meaningless things

Yes they are, and they all stay upset around me, because I say what I want but worse yet I mean what I say.

As for the Black owner, I would love to see that, hell I have thought about riding down to Atlanta to do just that, I would love to see if anything would come of it.

red states rule
06-06-2015, 07:44 AM
Yes they are, and they all stay upset around me, because I say what I want but worse yet I mean what I say.

As for the Black owner, I would love to see that, hell I have thought about riding down to Atlanta to do just that, I would love to see if anything would come of it.

I wonder if Al Sharpton and MSNBC would be screaming racism against the black store owner?

If Dems would do a photo ops with the KKK folks and call them victims of hate?

They do that know with gays so why not with the KKK if they are denied their right to service?

Noir
06-06-2015, 07:45 AM
Its curious that everyone seems so keen to jump on the 'what if known hate group KKK want services' as a defence...isn't there a better example to use?

red state
06-06-2015, 07:45 AM

Jeff, I appreciate your analogy and all but I try to be careful in lumping in "civil rights" by comparing BLACK civil rights and the "practice" of homosexuality. A black guy doesn't "practice" or "choose" to be BLACK......he simply (IS). We all have genes of weakness towards violence, alcoholism and, YES, homosexual or other sexual tendencies but we are not born homosexuals or alcoholics. Thanks for the post, however, and MUCH thanks for the article, Mr. Red State Rules.

red states rule
06-06-2015, 07:47 AM
Its curious that everyone seems so keen to jump on the 'what if known hate group KKK want services' as a defence...isn't there a better example to use?

The best answer is to respect the religion of store owners and stop portraying gays as victims.

I am sure there are bakers out there who would be happy to serve them - and some who do not

Gays can spend their money at the stores that want them

But the left must push their gay agenda on everyone and anyone who speaks out will be trashed and destroyed

Jeff
06-06-2015, 07:52 AM
Jeff, I appreciate your analogy and all but I try to be careful in lumping in "civil rights" by comparing BLACK civil rights and the "practice" of homosexuality. A black guy doesn't "practice" or "choose" to be BLACK......he simply (IS). We all have genes of weakness towards violence, alcoholism and, YES, homosexual or other sexual tendencies but we are not born homosexuals or alcoholics. Thanks for the post, however, and MUCH thanks for the article, Mr. Red State Rules.

Agreed but to me it comes down to the same thing, the black man ought not have to bake anything he don't wish to, it is his business, same should be said for the white baker.

OK find a gay baker ( go to the village in NYC or San Fran ) and ask them to make a cake saying " I believe the gay lifestyle is what brought Aids to us, thank you " and see what comes of that.

red states rule
06-06-2015, 07:55 AM
Agreed but to me it comes down to the same thing, the black man ought not have to bake anything he don' wish to, it is his business, same should be said for the white baker.

OK find a gay baker ( go to the village in NYC or San Fran ) and ask them to make a cake saying " I believe the gay lifestyle is what brought Aids to us, thank you " and see what comes of that.

Agreed

In fact I am sure there are bakers, photographers, and florists who openly advertise they do gay events. There is a market out there for that business.

But for some reason, most gays and liberals want to FORCE people to cater to them. Gets back to what I have always said about liberals and liberaism

Their polices and beliefs are so awesome they must be mandatory

red state
06-06-2015, 11:48 AM
Agreed but to me it comes down to the same thing, the black man ought not have to bake anything he don't wish to, it is his business, same should be said for the white baker.

VERY GOOD, Jeff...I knew I could/would bring out the BEST in you. HA!! That is proof that genius does rub off on others. For the post above, I give you 5 of these, sir.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:!!!!

That is an EXCELLENT comparison right there and although I'm not a rich man, I'd pay at least $100.oo buck to see that very scenario. We all know what would happen though.