PDA

View Full Version : Becoming disabled by choice, not chance: ‘Transabled’ people feel like impostors in t

WiccanLiberal
06-06-2015, 10:30 AM
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/becoming-disabled-by-choice-not-chance-transabled-people-feel-like-impostors-in-their-fully-working-bodies
OTTAWA — When he cut off his right arm with a “very sharp power tool,” a man who now calls himself One Hand Jason let everyone believe it was an accident.
But he had for months tried different means of cutting and crushing the limb that never quite felt like his own, training himself on first aid so he wouldn’t bleed to death, even practicing on animal parts sourced from a butcher.
“My goal was to get the job done with no hope of reconstruction or re-attachment, and I wanted some method that I could actually bring myself to do,” he told the body modification website ModBlog (http://news.bme.com/2008/02/19/one-hand-jason-biid-interview-in-bmenews-publishers-ring/).

OTTAWA — When he cut off his right arm with a “very sharp power tool,” a man who now calls himself One Hand Jason let everyone believe it was an accident.
But he had for months tried different means of cutting and crushing the limb that never quite felt like his own, training himself on first aid so he wouldn’t bleed to death, even practicing on animal parts sourced from a butcher.
“My goal was to get the job done with no hope of reconstruction or re-attachment, and I wanted some method that I could actually bring myself to do,” he told the body modification website ModBlog (http://news.bme.com/2008/02/19/one-hand-jason-biid-interview-in-bmenews-publishers-ring/).
His goal was to become disabled.
People like Jason have been classified as ‘‘transabled’’ — feeling like imposters in their bodies, their arms and legs in full working order.
“We define transability as the desire or the need for a person identified as able-bodied by other people to transform his or her body to obtain a physical impairment,” says Alexandre Baril, a Quebec born academic who will present on “transability” at this week’s Congress of the Social Sciences and Humanities at the University of Ottawa.....Some of his study participants do draw parallels to the experience many transgender people express of not feeling like they’re in the right body. Baldwin says this disorder is starting to be thought of as a neurological problem with the body
’s mapping, rather than a mental illness.

Have heard a little about this but not widely known and certainly not understood. Just wonder if neuroendocrine factors could also eventually be found to be a basis for gender dysphoria. I am continuously amazed at how much we do not understand about the human brain and nervous system.

Kathianne
06-06-2015, 10:32 AM
I saw this story a few days ago. I'm pretty sure this 'syndrome' would qualify for severe mental illness.

WiccanLiberal
06-06-2015, 11:00 AM
Weird thing is that the people I have seen acknowledging they have this problem, seem otherwise OK when they are interviewed. But one other concerning thing is that by fulfilling their desire to have their bodies match their perceptions creates a physical disability that is then eligible for coverage under disability insurance etc. The comparison with transgender persons is interesting in that post surgical transgender individuals do not have a disability after their procedures unless they were also disabled beforehand. What does this do to an employer for example? If you have a worker who changes their sex, you can generally still employ them and all is well. Bill becomes Winnie and is still a great pacemaker technician. But what if Greg was a truck driver before he had his right leg amputated? Now he has to be retrained or be on disability. Where does the money come from? The disorder seems to need a lot more study and that is difficult when few people want to come forward and acknowledge that they feel this way.

revelarts
06-07-2015, 02:35 PM
I saw this story a few days ago. I'm pretty sure this 'syndrome' would qualify for severe mental illness.

!sarcasm alert!
you are a hate filled ignorant Neanderthal. We know better now. it's not a mental illness.:eek:! they were BORN that way and should be celebrated. Family and REAL friends sould support them. And of course there are some Churches that EMBRACE tranableism. only the BACKwards hate filled churches don't. Isn't there a Bible verse about cutting your own arms off if they offend you. So THERE even the Bible agrees!!
But the laws will eventually make you kathianne irrelevant.. you'll have to make cakes for and take photos at the maiming celebrations or loose your biz.
!sarcasm alert!

tailfins
06-07-2015, 02:52 PM

A guy I used to work with became a temporary alcoholic because he didn't like his job. He was suddenly "cured" and stop getting benefits when he found a job he liked. He showed up at work drunk claiming to be an alcoholic instead of quitting his job. That seems like a lot less trouble than the original OP.