PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 who's in??

namvet
06-07-2015, 12:45 PM
ok so I got this little windows icon in my systray now. offering me an upgrade to 10 .What I have read elsewhere and from Microsoft is that if you are running a legal copy of Win 7 or 8 or 8.1 it is a free upgrade to Win 10 and you have a year to install it - no other strings attached. long as as its an opt. I have 7 and it works just fine and im gonna keep it.
I bought a used back up PC with 8.1 and it runs like crap. really slow. so i may try 10 on that one. I think maybe MS is offering a way out of these 8 versions myself. most people don't like em IMO.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features

anyone gonna have a go at it??

aboutime
06-07-2015, 01:56 PM
ok so I got this little windows icon in my systray now. offering me an upgrade to 10 .What I have read elsewhere and from Microsoft is that if you are running a legal copy of Win 7 or 8 or 8.1 it is a free upgrade to Win 10 and you have a year to install it - no other strings attached. long as as its an opt. I have 7 and it works just fine and im gonna keep it.
I bought a used back up PC with 8.1 and it runs like crap. really slow. so i may try 10 on that one. I think maybe MS is offering a way out of these 8 versions myself. most people don't like em IMO.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features

anyone gonna have a go at it??

I've been getting hounded by Microsoft too! Popups keep jumping in with a recorded voice asking if I need help with my PC. I put them on ADBLOCK.
Not too sure whether I will try 10. I see it as Microsofts way of forcing people to buy new PC's since they stopped most of the updates to 7, and the other versions too!
I'm gonna wait.

LongTermGuy
06-07-2015, 02:05 PM
"Reserved"...Get it while its still free...when its time one can still decide on options...

*About time....Adblock and "Ghostery" work well together...

jimnyc
06-07-2015, 02:31 PM
I have the icon bugging me too. It's for an upgrade to Windows 7 or 8 users though, and I would rather have a full install. I never did like upgrades, always had problems.

tailfins
06-07-2015, 02:32 PM
I have been trying to run the Visual Studio 2015 Release Candidate on the Windows 10 Preview and it wouldn't even install. That's my litmus test. If Windows cannot get a core application to even install on their operating system, that's incompetence in big neon lights.

namvet
06-07-2015, 04:44 PM
I have the icon bugging me too. It's for an upgrade to Windows 7 or 8 users though, and I would rather have a full install. I never did like upgrades, always had problems.

agreed. i would prefer to have a full set of recovery/install discs. wipe the HD clean and start over

DragonStryk72
06-07-2015, 06:57 PM
I'm on 8.1, and decided to go for 10. Honestly, I dislike 8, since it was so clearly designed to tablets, and not desktop/laptop usage. You can see it plainly in the start menu layout, and how much you have to do to work around that failing.

So really, 10 can't be that bad for me, and they seem to be setting up so that you can reinstall 10 from online, instead of needing the discs for recovery.

tailfins
06-07-2015, 06:59 PM
I just installed Windows 10 Preview on a spare hard drive and tried to install and run Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise. It appears that bug is fixed. I even ran a single user performance test on DP with Visual Studio Enterprise and had no trouble. If Jim wants, I can run a one million virtual user load test on DP. I tried using the new Edge browser and it crashed my video card driver. However, chrome seems to work well in the Windows 10 Preview.

namvet
06-07-2015, 08:38 PM
I'm on 8.1, and decided to go for 10. Honestly, I dislike 8, since it was so clearly designed to tablets, and not desktop/laptop usage. You can see it plainly in the start menu layout, and how much you have to do to work around that failing.

So really, 10 can't be that bad for me, and they seem to be setting up so that you can reinstall 10 from online, instead of needing the discs for recovery.

great. let us know how it works