PDA

View Full Version : Is it a sin to seek knowledge?

Gnostic Christian Bishop
06-07-2015, 07:05 PM
Is it a sin to seek knowledge?

Is it a sin to want to open one’s eyes instead of being blind?

Is it a sin to do as scriptures urge us to do?

Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Gen 3:2 And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil:

Adam and Eve were doing exactly what we are all told by scriptures to do, yet God seemed quite upset.

Why is seeking knowledge and ignoring a vile command to remain in ignorant bliss wrong or a sin?

Are you sinning when you seek knowledge and becoming more like God?

Regards
DL

darin
06-07-2015, 07:54 PM
I'm sorry but your scripture references do nothing to your point because you've pulled scripture out of context and are using it for a purpose it was not intended; you're trying to equate pursuit of knowledge with Sin - and using cherry-picked references do NOT draw one to that conclusion.

Mathew 5:48 in a way you might better understand ITS intent:

48 “In a word, what I’m saying is, Grow up. You’re kingdom subjects. Now live like it. Live out your God-created identity. Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you.”

So - that clearly does not apply to your point.

And in Genesis 3:22
God said, “The Man has become like one of us, capable of knowing everything, ranging from good to evil.

Again - God is reported saying Man can know everything BOTH Good and Evil. No insinuation knowing good or evil is sinful.

The way God sounds there? Sounds like a group speaking....I dunno about you...

http://weekinweird.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/ancient-aliens-guy-im-not-saying-its-aliens-but-its-aliens.jpg

Gnostic Christian Bishop
06-08-2015, 01:33 PM
I'm sorry but your scripture references do nothing to your point because you've pulled scripture out of context and are using it for a purpose it was not intended; you're trying to equate pursuit of knowledge with Sin - and using cherry-picked references do NOT draw one to that conclusion.

Mathew 5:48 in a way you might better understand ITS intent:

So - that clearly does not apply to your point.

And in Genesis 3:22

Again - God is reported saying Man can know everything BOTH Good and Evil. No insinuation knowing good or evil is sinful.

Did the punishment not indicate that God thought it a sin?

If not a sin, what did God punish them for?

Regards
DL

Voted4Reagan
06-08-2015, 02:02 PM
I'm sorry but your scripture references do nothing to your point because you've pulled scripture out of context and are using it for a purpose it was not intended;

Darrin... Don't feed the Troll. He knows he's cherry picking. He knows that it's not the proper Context.

Ignore him...

I may not agree with you a lot.... but this guy isn't worth wasting your time on.. He's a one trick pony...

and it's not even a good trick.

darin
06-08-2015, 02:50 PM
Did the punishment not indicate that God thought it a sin?

If not a sin, what did God punish them for?

Regards
DL

read it yourself?

Gnostic Christian Bishop
06-09-2015, 12:39 PM
read it yourself?

As expected. You cannot justify your beliefs

Regards
DL

06-09-2015, 03:14 PM
No. It's a sin to disobey God.

darin
06-09-2015, 05:40 PM
As expected. You cannot justify your beliefs

Regards
DL

As expected you have no interest in learned debate and discussion.

Voted4Reagan
06-09-2015, 06:19 PM
As expected you have no interest in learned debate and discussion.

Do not feed the troll... he needs to go on a diet.

Gnostic Christian Bishop
06-10-2015, 10:48 AM
No. It's a sin to disobey God.

Not if it is a stupid command and his command to A &E to stay stupid was just that, stupid.

Would you command your children to stay uneducated and shun knowledge of just about everything?

Regards
DL

06-12-2015, 11:09 PM
My three year old is very curious about electrical sockets. Being the wise parent I am, I very much do command her not to explore and play with those electrical sockets. Why? Because it's my responsibility to protect her until the day she has developed enough to take care of herself.

So yes there any times I tell my children not to do something because they aren't prepared. It's called good parenting.

God was Adam and Eve's father. He had a responsibility to teach them and protect them. Death isn't a consequence to take lightly

Noir
06-13-2015, 05:11 AM
My three year old is very curious about electrical sockets. Being the wise parent I am, I very much do command her not to explore and play with those electrical sockets. Why? Because it's my responsibility to protect her until the day she has developed enough to take care of herself. So yes there any times I tell my children not to do something because they aren't prepared. It's called good parenting. God was Adam and Eve's father. He had a responsibility to teach them and protect them. Death isn't a consequence to take lightly

If you were an omnipotent parent and knew your child was going to play with electrical sockets, and die...where is the good parenting?

DragonStryk72
06-13-2015, 07:31 AM

Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Gen 3:2 And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil:

Adam and Eve were doing exactly what we are all told by scriptures to do, yet God seemed quite upset.

Why is seeking knowledge and ignoring a vile command to remain in ignorant bliss wrong or a sin?

Regards
DL

we've been over this, several times in multiple threads. So this is where your most recent batch of hurl has landed, huh?

Okay, simple point: God got pissed because He only gave one rule- Do not eat of these two trees, The End. Seeing as it wasn't our property at the time, that's well within God's rights. I mean, how pissed would you be if I walked into your house, popped open the fridge, and took the last beer? Especially since you damn well know that I have a full fridge, including beer, at my home, that I have easy access to. It doesn't matter if you've invited me previously, it isn't mine to take, right? Yeah, see, again, this isn't even a mental stretch. There's nothing to be gleaned here, just like there wasn't any of the other times you brought it up... or really, in any thread you've posted in your time here.

We stole, and even if you let Eve off the hook for the initial bite (coercion defense), she still then, after knowing she was doing something wrong, took some for Adam, to bring him in on this. So yeah, pretty cut and dry here, like most of the so called "debates" you post, they're just empty psuedo-philosophy posed so you can continued to harp on Christianity. You've brought up no other religion, nothing, not even Mormonism. Just the same "Oh, the Christians" crap, same as always.

Noir
06-13-2015, 08:49 AM
Okay, simple point: God got pissed because He only gave one rule-

The problem is omniscience, if you program a computer to delete all your files by 18:00, and you log on at 18:10 to a blank computer, are you pissed at the computer?
(You had previously stuck a post-it to the monitor saying 'don't erase files')

DragonStryk72
06-13-2015, 04:52 PM
The problem is omniscience, if you program a computer to delete all your files by 18:00, and you log on at 18:10 to a blank computer, are you pissed at the computer?

Actually, that's an incorrect analogy. Remember that Adam and eve obeyed the rule until there was outside interference. For your analogy to work it would have to be like this: you set a program to backup your files at 1800. However, due to a virus dropped by a hacker, your files are instead corrupted, making the computer inviable for your purposes.

Noir
06-13-2015, 05:18 PM
Actually, that's an incorrect analogy. Remember that Adam and eve obeyed the rule until there was outside interference. For your analogy to work it would have to be like this: you set a program to backup your files at 1800. However, due to a virus dropped by a hacker, your files are instead corrupted, making the computer inviable for your purposes.

Okay, do you blame the computer for the virus?

Also keep in mind you knew the hacker was going to drop the virus before you even bought the computer, and while you were setting the computer to backup.

06-14-2015, 08:54 AM
If you were an omnipotent parent and knew your child was going to play with electrical sockets, and die...where is the good parenting?

1) the command not to do so

2) the atonement and resurrection that gives healing and immortality to make up for our mistakes.

You shouldn't ignore the fact that death is conquered and we have no end. This life is but a short time.

06-14-2015, 08:56 AM
we've been over this, several times in multiple threads. So this is where your most recent batch of hurl has landed, huh?

Okay, simple point: God got pissed because He only gave one rule- Do not eat of these two trees, The End. Seeing as it wasn't our property at the time, that's well within God's rights. I mean, how pissed would you be if I walked into your house, popped open the fridge, and took the last beer? Especially since you damn well know that I have a full fridge, including beer, at my home, that I have easy access to. It doesn't matter if you've invited me previously, it isn't mine to take, right? Yeah, see, again, this isn't even a mental stretch. There's nothing to be gleaned here, just like there wasn't any of the other times you brought it up... or really, in any thread you've posted in your time here.

We stole, and even if you let Eve off the hook for the initial bite (coercion defense), she still then, after knowing she was doing something wrong, took some for Adam, to bring him in on this. So yeah, pretty cut and dry here, like most of the so called "debates" you post, they're just empty psuedo-philosophy posed so you can continued to harp on Christianity. You've brought up no other religion, nothing, not even Mormonism. Just the same "Oh, the Christians" crap, same as always.

Except that wasn't the only rule or even the first.

The first rule was to cleave together and multiply and replenish the earth.

06-14-2015, 09:26 AM

If you are teaching your children that their choices have consequences, why would you interfere with their choices?

Gnostic Christian Bishop
06-15-2015, 09:57 AM
My three year old is very curious about electrical sockets. Being the wise parent I am, I very much do command her not to explore and play with those electrical sockets. Why? Because it's my responsibility to protect her until the day she has developed enough to take care of herself.

So yes there any times I tell my children not to do something because they aren't prepared. It's called good parenting.

God was Adam and Eve's father. He had a responsibility to teach them and protect them. Death isn't a consequence to take lightly

I agree with this last. So I wonder why God lied about it.

You seem to be a reasonable parent.

Would you put someone with your child near a plug whom you knew had the power to entice your child to hurt itself with that plug?

Using your analogy. That is basically what God did is it not?

Regards
DL

Gnostic Christian Bishop
06-15-2015, 10:03 AM

How could Eve know she was doing something wrong or evil when she had no knowledge of what was wrong or evil?

She had yet to eat of the tree of knowledge.

You are putting the cart before the horse.

Regards
DL

Gnostic Christian Bishop
06-15-2015, 10:09 AM
Okay, simple point: God got pissed because He only gave one rule- Do not eat of these two trees, The End.

Would you call this quote a rule?

Gen 128 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth,"

Regards
DL

Gnostic Christian Bishop
06-15-2015, 10:15 AM

An omnipotent programmer can be hacked. Wow.

Strange that he could not build a program that could not be hacked by another programmer, Satan, whom the omnipotent programmer God, had himself trained.

How can a student know more than the teacher?

Regards
DL

06-16-2015, 12:23 AM
I agree with this last. So I wonder why God lied about it.

You seem to be a reasonable parent.

Would you put someone with your child near a plug whom you knew had the power to entice your child to hurt itself with that plug?

Using your analogy. That is basically what God did is it not?

Regards
DL

God didn't lie.

Maybe you should take up your concerns with Him

DragonStryk72
06-16-2015, 02:05 AM

Strange that he could not build a program that could not be hacked by another programmer, Satan, whom the omnipotent programmer God, had himself trained.

Regards
DL

That is the price of granting free will to your creations. For why someone would create an independent intelligence, see: Every video game ever made. Again, the system has to be self-maintaining, or God is the least efficient creator in existence, which clearly isn't the case. So there has to be the ability to learn lessons, such as when to listen to others, and when not to. How do you teach that if every voice is in unison and telling the complete truth?

Whether the Serpent (Not Satan) is lying or not is immaterial to the point that Eve had a choice in the matter, and the Serpent had a choice in the matter as well, seeing as to how he was held to consequences for his actions as well. Choosing to violate the rule had both positive (Gaining knowledge), and negative (Being cast out of Eden) consequences. Another lesson that is needed. Making choices, and living with their consequences, is one of the first point of acting as an adult, and of growth as a person. No one died, there was a casting out.

You disagreeing with me? Proof of free will, before you even try regurgitating that crap again. So again, none of your points point in the direction of God being against knowledge, and what little Bible you've quoted is taken horribly out of context in order to warp it to fit your agenda here.

Gnostic Christian Bishop
06-16-2015, 05:10 PM
God didn't lie.

Maybe you should take up your concerns with Him

A & E did not die as God said they would so that is a lie, and yes, I would take up my concerns with your God if he ever grows the balls to show up.

Apologies if my question on Satan put you into defence mode.

That happens a lot with Christians who cannot defend their God or his vile actions.

Regards
DL

Gnostic Christian Bishop
06-16-2015, 05:19 PM
That is the price of granting free will to your creations. For why someone would create an independent intelligence, see: Every video game ever made. Again, the system has to be self-maintaining, or God is the least efficient creator in existence, which clearly isn't the case. So there has to be the ability to learn lessons, such as when to listen to others, and when not to. How do you teach that if every voice is in unison and telling the complete truth?

Whether the Serpent (Not Satan) is lying or not is immaterial to the point that Eve had a choice in the matter, and the Serpent had a choice in the matter as well, seeing as to how he was held to consequences for his actions as well.

Are you suggesting that the serpent was not under supernatural control?

You would have to believe that serpents could talk on their own and that that one knew of God's conversation with Adam.

Is that your position?

Regards
DL

Noir
06-17-2015, 05:52 AM
If you are teaching your children that their choices have consequences, why would you interfere with their choices?

What does the word 'choice' even mean when your path is predetermined?

jimnyc
06-17-2015, 06:22 AM
Some of you have a lot more patience than I, to be able to play little games and 'gotcha' stuff with people who don't believe anyway. Their questioning is not to learn, but to mock.

DragonStryk72
06-17-2015, 07:48 AM
What does the word 'choice' even mean when your path is predetermined?

Actually, it's not predetermination like you think. That was the mistake the Calvinists made in their thinking. Knowing the outcome does not remove your choices and capabilities, nor does it negate your own will in the matter. You parents, for example, knew you graduate high school. Did that invalidate your choices in the matter? You did have choices, all along the path, even though has knowledge of where your path leads.

DragonStryk72
06-17-2015, 08:00 AM
Are you suggesting that the serpent was not under supernatural control?

You would have to believe that serpents could talk on their own and that that one knew of God's conversation with Adam.

Is that your position?

Regards
DL

So now it's not literal? Which argument? If you're really here to learn, then you need to pick a side here. All I've seen you do is spin your wheels like this repeatedly. It's not evidence of cleverness or capability, it's the demonstrating of a lack of personal conviction. So before we go any further, you're going to have to take an actual stance.

Noir
06-17-2015, 08:04 AM
Actually, it's not predetermination like you think. That was the mistake the Calvinists made in their thinking. Knowing the outcome does not remove your choices and capabilities, nor does it negate your own will in the matter. You parents, for example, knew you graduate high school. Did that invalidate your choices in the matter? You did have choices, all along the path, even though has knowledge of where your path leads.

My parents are not omnipotent. They did not know i would graduate high-school.

they may have assumed I'd graduate high school. But assumption and knowledge are not the same thing, I'm sure you'd agree.

DragonStryk72
06-17-2015, 09:47 AM
My parents are not omnipotent. They did not know i would graduate high-school.

they may have assumed I'd graduate high school. But assumption and knowledge are not the same thing, I'm sure you'd agree.

You're hedged around the point. Let's do a different scenario: Let's say I hand a guy a gun that is completely unloaded, and the guy immediately turns and pulls the trigger on me. Now, I know, for a fact, that the gun has no bullet in it, but does that change the decision of the guy to turn the gun on me and pull the trigger? No, of course not. It was still his choice to try and kill me, regardless of whether I know there's no chance of a bullet coming out of that gun.

The guy had a myriad of choices, such as handing back the gun, walking off with it, breaking it down, etc.. The key central point, again, is that my knowledge does not prevent anyone's choices.

Noir
06-17-2015, 10:24 AM
You're hedged around the point. Let's do a different scenario: Let's say I hand a guy a gun that is completely unloaded, and the guy immediately turns and pulls the trigger on me. Now, I know, for a fact, that the gun has no bullet in it, but does that change the decision of the guy to turn the gun on me and pull the trigger? No, of course not. It was still his choice to try and kill me, regardless of whether I know there's no chance of a bullet coming out of that gun.

The guy had a myriad of choices, such as handing back the gun, walking off with it, breaking it down, etc.. The key central point, again, is that my knowledge does not prevent anyone's choices.

and you do not know until after the fact what choice he will make. An omnipotent God does.

tailfins
06-17-2015, 08:16 PM

Regards
DL

DL, I agree with almost nothing you post but still hope you're having an enjoyable day. :cool:

Gnostic Christian Bishop
06-17-2015, 09:29 PM
Some of you have a lot more patience than I, to be able to play little games and 'gotcha' stuff with people who don't believe anyway. Their questioning is not to learn, but to mock.

Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. -- Thomas Jefferson

Regards
DL

Gnostic Christian Bishop
06-17-2015, 09:35 PM

1Peter 1:20 0 He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake

God decided to have Jesus killed and who his killer would be as well as the actions of al those involve in his condemnation.

Are you saying that the killer God chose had a choice not to kill Jesus and thwart God's master plan?

Regards
DL

Gnostic Christian Bishop
06-17-2015, 09:37 PM
DL, I agree with almost nothing you post but still hope you're having an enjoyable day. :cool:

As long as you do not have the intelligence to refute anything I put, I am quite happy.

Thanks.

Regards
DL

Gnostic Christian Bishop
06-17-2015, 09:43 PM
So now it's not literal? Which argument? If you're really here to learn, then you need to pick a side here. All I've seen you do is spin your wheels like this repeatedly. It's not evidence of cleverness or capability, it's the demonstrating of a lack of personal conviction. So before we go any further, you're going to have to take an actual stance.

I ask your position and belief and suddenly, I have to pick a side.

Put it in gear m friend.

Nice tactic to hide foolish thinking and you belief in the supernatural and talking animals.

Not too honest that, Christian.

I will pic a side if you will.

I do not believe in the supernatural. Do you?

Regards
DL

06-21-2015, 02:03 AM
Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. -- Thomas Jefferson

Regards
DL

I have to disagree with Mr. Jefferson. Ridicule is the only weapon you can use wheat think up a more persuasive way to convince people that your position is correct.

DragonStryk72
06-21-2015, 08:17 AM
I ask your position and belief and suddenly, I have to pick a side.

Put it in gear m friend.

Nice tactic to hide foolish thinking and you belief in the supernatural and talking animals.

Not too honest that, Christian.

I will pic a side if you will.

I do not believe in the supernatural. Do you?

Regards
DL

Thank you, then all your religious threads are just a troll run. You're not here to learn a thing, just to screw with people.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-21-2015, 10:06 AM

Subject is interesting and Dragonstryke posts some great replies but I have the Bishop cat on ignore since his first few posts here. Thus I can not enter in to counter any of his stupidity.
I guess, just seeing Dragon and others blast him will just have to do for me. -Tyr

Voted4Reagan
06-21-2015, 11:59 AM
Subject is interesting and Dragonstryke posts some great replies but I have the Bishop cat on ignore since his first few posts here. Thus I can not enter in to counter any of his stupidity.
I guess, just seeing Dragon and others blast him will just have to do for me. -Tyr

Personally, I can't see arguing with GCB... He Troll's multiple boards with the exact same posts every day.

His posts are intended to disrupt.

Why would Dragon waste his intellect on such a person? I see it as a waste of time.

GCB has no interest in discussion... just disruption.

Ignore him...

Abbey Marie
06-21-2015, 12:12 PM
Personally, I can't see arguing with GCB... He Troll's multiple boards with the exact same posts every day.

His posts are intended to disrupt.

Why would Dragon waste his intellect on such a person? I see it as a waste of time.

GCB has no interest in discussion... just disruption.

Ignore him...

:clap:

Voted4Reagan
06-21-2015, 12:24 PM
You all realize that Gnosticism is a flawed construct.... Just by this definition you can see that GCB is trying to mess with you... His is a system of elitism. he believes himself above all of us..

Just ignore him... and read the following:

"Gnosis" as a potentially flawed category
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnosticism

Voted4Reagan
06-21-2015, 12:59 PM
<label>This message is hidden because Gnostic Christian Bishop is on your Ignore List.</label>

Abbey Marie
06-21-2015, 04:48 PM

Well said

Gnostic Christian Bishop
06-27-2015, 10:11 AM
I have to disagree with Mr. Jefferson. Ridicule is the only weapon you can use wheat think up a more persuasive way to convince people that your position is correct.

If correct at all.

You will note that most issues here, people were never reasoned into so to try to reason them out of such faith positions is impossible as they are a delusion. That is how brain washing and indoctrination works.

Regards
DL

tailfins
06-27-2015, 10:21 AM
If correct at all.

You will note that most issues here, people were never reasoned into so to try to reason them out of such faith positions is impossible as they are a delusion. That is how brain washing and indoctrination works.

Regards
DL

Good morning, Gnostic Bishop. It's nice for the weekend to be here, huh? Are you planning to go anywhere? I hope you enjoy Canada Day next week. Ottawa is really impressive on Canada Day. I'm glad I got to experience it.

tailfins
06-27-2015, 11:04 AM
Good morning, Gnostic Bishop. It's nice for the weekend to be here, huh? Are you planning to go anywhere? I hope you enjoy Canada Day next week. Ottawa is really impressive on Canada Day. I'm glad I got to experience it.

Let me make it clear what I'm doing with this, Gnostic Bishop. I will be happy to have a friendly conversation with you, but am not interested in being a part of you wanting to mock Christianity.

Abbey Marie
06-27-2015, 11:23 AM
Let me make it clear what I'm doing with this, Gnostic Bishop. I will be happy to have a friendly conversation with you, but am not interested in being a part of you wanting to mock Christianity.

He has made it abundantly clear why he is here:

to try to reason them out of such faith positions is impossible as they are a delusion. That is how brain washing and indoctrination works.

Gnostic Christian Bishop
06-27-2015, 07:33 PM

You have perhaps noted that my posts are slanted to speak to the immorality of some Christian tenets.

If you think looking at those are mocking instead of correcting as they are meant to do, then we will not chat much.

If you want to actually look at those points of morality with me then do so.

Regards
DL

aboutime
06-27-2015, 07:43 PM
He has made it abundantly clear why he is here:

Abbey. That's really ironic, and funny about him. He presents the most accurate, and interesting definition of the words Brainwashing, and Indoctrination.

Wouldn't be surprised if we looked in the FUNK & WAGNALS to see a photo of Gnostic, next to the word BRAINWASHED.:laugh:

LongTermGuy
06-27-2015, 10:31 PM
Abbey. That's really ironic, and funny about him. He presents the most accurate, and interesting definition of the words Brainwashing, and Indoctrination.

Wouldn't be surprised if we looked in the FUNK & WAGNALS to see a photo of Gnostic, next to the word BRAINWASHED.:laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

bullypulpit
06-30-2015, 06:12 AM

Regards
DL

It's a sin only to those who would remain willfully blind, and strive to blind any who don't cleve to their narrow, blinkered view of reality.

aboutime
06-30-2015, 01:18 PM
Personally. I believe it IS a sin that Gnostic comes here to claim he has ANY knowledge.

If it's a sin...per Gnostic. It appears Gnostic is the most accurate example of SIN.

Gnostic Christian Bishop
06-30-2015, 07:19 PM
It's a sin only to those who would remain willfully blind, and strive to blind any who don't cleve to their narrow, blinkered view of reality.

You are describing Christians.

Regards
DL

07-06-2015, 02:57 AM

Then I recommend opening your eyes.

All of us could probably use for an eye opener