PDA

View Full Version : Economic incentives MAY help end insurgency?

Gadget (fmr Marine)
07-03-2007, 07:19 PM
http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/07/03/ap3882384.html

The Iraqi Cabinet signed off Tuesday on a revised bill to regulate the country's oil industry and sent it to parliament - a major step in reaching a long-delayed benchmark sought by the U.S. to promote reconciliation between Iraq's Sunnis and Shiites.

So with the arguably the third largest oil reserves (if not second largest), Iraq is on the precipice of controlling it's own economic destiny.

The largest hurdles to overcome will be actually getting a legitimate census taken in a country that is wracked by internationally sponsored guerillas who relish the thought of their ability to incite a civil war through sectarian violence.

If a payment arrangement can be made and the three divisions are actually receiving payments, then support of the insurgency may very well dry up....but that is wishful thinking, and not a plan I would bank a future on....

As I have mentioned many times before, we need to accept the lot we have created, and subscribe to a solution that will take many, many decades to try and overcome.....The international community must deal with radical religious movements, who profess genocide, the same way that Nazis were dealt with in Europe in WWII. It is not going happen until there has been an attack by these radicals that kills tens of thousands of innocent people in a single attack...then I suspect then they will have "awoken a giant."