PDA

View Full Version : Michelle Obama Tells Graduates to Change 'The Myths About Folks Like Us'

Jeff
06-11-2015, 07:03 AM
The Mooch is at it again, yup spreading her special brand of racism. Time is running out for all the freebies at the WH, time to tell the world exactly who they are and what they are about. She tells a graduating class of mostly blacks that it is a shame the good stories like theirs don't make the evening news, only the bad stories make it :rolleyes: yup I think it is much more important to tell us folks did what they should, they worked hard and made something of themselves than to tell us about the animals in Baltimore, or Ferguson. I guess one way of looking at it is, if the media only reported what she wanted them to then folks may still travel to say Baltimore for vacation and get killed, than these young folks that may become lawyers would have more work, OK Mooch I got ya. :rolleyes:

(CNSNews.com) - First lady Michelle Obama, speaking to mostly black prep school graduates in Chicago on Tuesday, urged them to join herself and the president in "changing the narrative about our communities."

She said it's up to African Americans to change the "myths" about who they are.

"Because, graduates, in the end, you all are the ones responsible for changing the narrative about our communities. Wherever you go next, wherever you go, you all encounter people who doubt your very existence -- folks who believe that hardworking families with strong values don’t exist on the South Side of Chicago, or in Detroit, or in El Paso, or in Indian Country, or in Appalachia. They don’t believe you are real.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/michelle-obama-tells-graduates-change-myths-about-folks-us

jimnyc
06-11-2015, 07:14 AM
"Folks like us"

That's all that needs to be said as to why other folks can't stand her and her stances. She's the NAACP of first ladies. I wonder how folks would have responded had prior folks in the WH went out and spoke like such to white people?

fj1200
06-11-2015, 09:41 AM
The Mooch is at it again, yup spreading her special brand of racism.

Umm, how is that racist? She said it's up to "them" to change what people think about their neighborhoods, etc. She, surprisingly, didn't drone on about how government needs to fix this and that but rather she said they are "responsible."

That's all that needs to be said as to why other folks can't stand her and her stances.

Other folks don't like her and her stances because she's a raving leftie but let Carson or Cain give a speech about how it's "up to them" and they are "responsible" and it would likely be praised.

jimnyc
06-11-2015, 09:48 AM
Other folks don't like her and her stances because she's a raving leftie but let Carson or Cain give a speech about how it's "up to them" and they are "responsible" and it would likely be praised.

No speaker should be purposely trying to point out or make separations. THAT'S how the race things start. God forbid they speak to them as EQUALS. Instead she projects onto them that they WILL be treated differently somehow.

fj1200
06-11-2015, 09:51 AM
No speaker should be purposely trying to point out or make separations. THAT'S how the race things start. God forbid they speak to them as EQUALS. Instead she projects onto them that they WILL be treated differently somehow.

There already is a difference. The difference is in how they see themselves and even in how folks on this forum see them.

jimnyc
06-11-2015, 10:18 AM
There already is a difference. The difference is in how they see themselves and even in how folks on this forum see them.

So going forward, as a result of folks reading/hearing her speech, it's cool that others refer to them as "folks LIKE THEM" then, correct?

fj1200
06-11-2015, 10:25 AM
So going forward, as a result of folks reading/hearing her speech, it's cool that others refer to them as "folks LIKE THEM" then, correct?

That would be pretty dumb but it seems to be de rigueur here and elsewhere.

jimnyc
06-11-2015, 10:27 AM
That would be pretty dumb but it seems to be de rigueur here and elsewhere.

Don't kid yourself, it's not just here. What do you think 8-12 year olds make of it, when coming across the story on the internet and reading it?

If people continually find ways to separate themselves, others will learn to separate them as well.

fj1200
06-11-2015, 10:44 AM
Don't kid yourself, it's not just here. What do you think 8-12 year olds make of it, when coming across the story on the internet and reading it?

If people continually find ways to separate themselves, others will learn to separate them as well.

Are they coming across the story on a site that focuses on "folks like us" or are they coming across the story on a site that focuses on "responsible," "hardworking families," and "strong values"? Of course the whole blog post is focusing on separation.

jimnyc
06-11-2015, 11:02 AM
Are they coming across the story on a site that focuses on "folks like us" or are they coming across the story on a site that focuses on "responsible," "hardworking families," and "strong values"? Of course the whole blog post is focusing on separation.

I never even acknowledged what site I was reading it from. I just read the comments and responded to what was in quotes, assuming it was in fact her words. And if they are in fact her words, I stand by my comments, and know nothing whatsoever about that site or if they have an agenda. If I read it from a different angle on CNN, and those ARE her comments, my comments would remain the same. I think it's STUPID for black folks to keep going on and on and on and on about how they are different. I already know their color is different, and I'm sure they are aware too. But to continually harp into kids heads that somehow they are about to be discriminated against, before a single negative thing ever happens, is asking for it to happen.

What if someone started what was primarily an all white college. This college taught things about white history, and what white people have done for our country. Then a graduation speaker talks about how folks like us, clearly referring to race, have done great things for this country... or whatever, you get the idea. Sounds stupid and sounds racist - but somehow it's OK for blacks to do the same. The only difference is that the speaker spoke to them as fellow blacks, instead of fellow graduates/students/people.

fj1200
06-11-2015, 12:45 PM
I never even acknowledged what site I was reading it from. I just read the comments and responded to what was in quotes, assuming it was in fact her words. And if they are in fact her words, I stand by my comments, and know nothing whatsoever about that site or if they have an agenda. If I read it from a different angle on CNN, and those ARE her comments, my comments would remain the same. I think it's STUPID for black folks to keep going on and on and on and on about how they are different. I already know their color is different, and I'm sure they are aware too. But to continually harp into kids heads that somehow they are about to be discriminated against, before a single negative thing ever happens, is asking for it to happen.

What if someone started what was primarily an all white college. This college taught things about white history, and what white people have done for our country. Then a graduation speaker talks about how folks like us, clearly referring to race, have done great things for this country... or whatever, you get the idea. Sounds stupid and sounds racist - but somehow it's OK for blacks to do the same. The only difference is that the speaker spoke to them as fellow blacks, instead of fellow graduates/students/people.

I'm not sure what your acknowledgement matters to how it's presented. It can be presented in one divisive way, which it was IMO, or it could be presented in a completely different manner that puts the whole speech in a different light. Or it could have been ignored and not used as another jumping off point to show what those racists are saying now. But that last one is not the world we live in, everything needs to be jumped on no matter the stretch required. But our discussion reinforces my point IMO, that the focus is on three words and not the responsibility angle.

And that white college bit is ridiculous. Whites by and large weren't slaves and didn't have laws against them. But I can agree it would be nice if blacks didn't continually harp but it would also be nice if whites didn't continually harp as well.

jimnyc
06-11-2015, 03:37 PM
And that white college bit is ridiculous. Whites by and large weren't slaves and didn't have laws against them. But I can agree it would be nice if blacks didn't continually harp but it would also be nice if whites didn't continually harp as well.

Probably time to move on from the bellyaching on that one too, as not a single person alive was a slave. Segregation is long gone. Time for people to stop acting the victim. Otherwise, be prepared to be called "Folks like them".

Thunderknuckles
06-11-2015, 05:14 PM
I'm not sure I see the racism. She said this in the context of various cultural groups. If anything it was Classism as all the places she mentioned are notably poor.

fj1200
06-12-2015, 08:56 AM
Probably time to move on from the bellyaching on that one too, as not a single person alive was a slave. Segregation is long gone. Time for people to stop acting the victim. Otherwise, be prepared to be called "Folks like them".

Because it's essential to understand history to know why we're here. First they're slaves, then they're sharecroppers, then there's convict leasing, then there's Jim Crow laws, and then the liberals really screw them over with Urban Renewal and the War on Poverty. Pointing out three words in an otherwise nothing speech is not helpful.

jimnyc
06-12-2015, 09:19 AM
Because it's essential to understand history to know why we're here. First they're slaves, then they're sharecroppers, then there's convict leasing, then there's Jim Crow laws, and then the liberals really screw them over with Urban Renewal and the War on Poverty. Pointing out three words in an otherwise nothing speech is not helpful.

I might agree that me, or the media, pointing out the 3 words may not be helpful. But I believe what SHE is saying to many more people is even less helpful. I've been seeing this for a long time, where kids are being taught that they are victims, lesser, and being taught how to use the "system" and such. Granted, her instance here doesn't encompass ALL of that, but she hit the worst part.

And please don't say that there isn't a problem of "victimhood" out there. Hell, some are still sitting back waiting for apologies. Others collect from various welfare programs and don't work, and say that it's because they are owed that much.

You teach kids these things, then when they grow up, we shouldn't be surprised that they learn and use such things.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-12-2015, 09:31 AM
"Folks like us"

That's all that needs to be said as to why other folks can't stand her and her stances. She's the NAACP of first ladies. I wonder how folks would have responded had prior folks in the WH went out and spoke like such to white people?
Both she and the lying bastard she is married to were members of a black separatist church! For anybody to try to make excuses for what the witch said shows their own stupidity IMHO.
She and the stinking obama have a RECORD THAT MANY IGNORE WHEN TRYING TO DEFEND THEM AND IT JUST HIGHLIGHTS THEIR STUPIDITY AND/OR BIAS.
What she did was pure racism and meant to inflame, how anybody can deny that is beyond me unless they are either stupid, gullible or deliberately being deceitful--I suspect many are all three.-Tyr

DragonStryk72
06-12-2015, 02:54 PM
The Mooch is at it again, yup spreading her special brand of racism. Time is running out for all the freebies at the WH, time to tell the world exactly who they are and what they are about. She tells a graduating class of mostly blacks that it is a shame the good stories like theirs don't make the evening news, only the bad stories make it :rolleyes: yup I think it is much more important to tell us folks did what they should, they worked hard and made something of themselves than to tell us about the animals in Baltimore, or Ferguson. I guess one way of looking at it is, if the media only reported what she wanted them to then folks may still travel to say Baltimore for vacation and get killed, than these young folks that may become lawyers would have more work, OK Mooch I got ya. :rolleyes:

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/michelle-obama-tells-graduates-change-myths-about-folks-us

Here's one, how about, and stay with me here, they try improving their communities, instead of just talking about them differently?

fj1200
06-12-2015, 03:54 PM
I might agree that me, or the media, pointing out the 3 words may not be helpful. But I believe what SHE is saying to many more people is even less helpful. I've been seeing this for a long time, where kids are being taught that they are victims, lesser, and being taught how to use the "system" and such. Granted, her instance here doesn't encompass ALL of that, but she hit the worst part.

And please don't say that there isn't a problem of "victimhood" out there. Hell, some are still sitting back waiting for apologies. Others collect from various welfare programs and don't work, and say that it's because they are owed that much.

You teach kids these things, then when they grow up, we shouldn't be surprised that they learn and use such things.

But how about we focus on the actual issue here. I don't disagree that there is victimhood and working the system and all of that but shockingly she focused on the responsibility aspect. But maybe I missed something, how did she hit the worst part? In previous speeches? I won't disagree.

Jeff
06-12-2015, 05:32 PM
When the first lady speaks and speaks of people like us it is racist. Her Husband is to represent all Americans not just people like her, how about if she told them great job and forget about telling them how they must prove to everyone anything, congratulate them for working hard and making something of themselves period.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-12-2015, 05:44 PM
When the first lady speaks and speaks of people like us it is racist. Her Husband is to represent all Americans not just people like her, how about if she told them great job and forget about telling them how they must prove to everyone anything, congratulate them for working hard and making something of themselves period.
Her and the lousy bamboy both want white people punished. The lying piece of shat bambastard has been doing his best to start a race war. Not understanding how badly they'd lose IMHO. FFING IDIOTS BOTH OF THEM BUT DEVIOUS AS HELL. -Tyr

DragonStryk72
06-12-2015, 10:33 PM
Her and the lousy bamboy both want white people punished. The lying piece of shat bambastard has been doing his best to start a race war. Not understanding how badly they'd lose IMHO. FFING IDIOTS BOTH OF THEM BUT DEVIOUS AS HELL. -Tyr

Never ascribe to malevolence what can be written off as incompetence.

When was the last time either one of them had to worry about the finances? I mean, seriously worry about them, like many have to today that live in those neighbors, where they're barely eking it out paycheck-to-paycheck, most essentially unable to afford the city they were born and grew up in?

For Obama, it was, what, the early 70s?

Can't even figure it for Michelle.

They always talk in these tones that boil down to the oratory version of "When you Wish Upon a Star", and to me, that denotes more than a small amount of general ignorance as to how life works for the impoverished. Changing the "tenor" of the discussion of the inner city is pretty much proof positive of that point. No one who has had to live in these poor neighborhoods would ever be like, "Well, it all sucked, but then this rich woman said to change the way we talk about it, and it's amazing now."

It's like being in a sinking boat, and somebody just idly telling you to have faith. Grab a goddamn bucket and bail, motherfucker! We've got very real problems, and wishing for better does nothing to stop the water rushing in.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-12-2015, 10:48 PM
Never ascribe to malevolence what can be written off as incompetence.

When was the last time either one of them had to worry about the finances? I mean, seriously worry about them, like many have to today that live in those neighbors, where they're barely eking it out paycheck-to-paycheck, most essentially unable to afford the city they were born and grew up in?

For Obama, it was, what, the early 70s?

Can't even figure it for Michelle.

They always talk in these tones that boil down to the oratory version of "When you Wish Upon a Star", and to me, that denotes more than a small amount of general ignorance as to how life works for the impoverished. Changing the "tenor" of the discussion of the inner city is pretty much proof positive of that point. No one who has had to live in these poor neighborhoods would ever be like, "Well, it all sucked, but then this rich woman said to change the way we talk about it, and it's amazing now."

It's like being in a sinking boat, and somebody just idly telling you to have faith. Grab a goddamn bucket and bail, motherfucker! We've got very real problems, and wishing for better does nothing to stop the water rushing in.

Question is, how much is malevolence and how much is incompetence?
Lets go with about 70/30 and flip them either way-- both versions are very bad for us ..
on the battlefield matters not if the bullet that ends your life was aimed at you or just a random stray one that caught ya, either way you are just as dead..
Because of his agenda I think the 70% part is malevolence. And if true that does not negate the bad effects of the 30% incompetence...
Either way we suffer and a lot of the suffering is intentionally inflicted upon us as a whole IMHO.
They do not live in the world they gladly make suffer.. -Tyr

DragonStryk72
06-12-2015, 11:50 PM
Question is, how much is malevolence and how much is incompetence?
Lets go with about 70/30 and flip them either way-- both versions are very bad for us ..
on the battlefield matters not if the bullet that ends your life was aimed at you or just a random stray one that caught ya, either way you are just as dead..
Because of his agenda I think the 70% part is malevolence. And if true that does not negate the bad effects of the 30% incompetence...
Either way we suffer and a lot of the suffering is intentionally inflicted upon us as a whole IMHO.
They do not live in the world they gladly make suffer.. -Tyr

That's what you're not getting, and I don't see why, Tyr. They legitimately have the best intentions, and that's what makes it more dangerous than if they were really trying to screw people over.

See, a con man, at a certain point, has an out, and always maintains an out, so that they're not totally screwed. They know that they're talk a whole ration of shit, and will hem it in on their own, in order to keep the run going. They don't do that. Oh no, they're really arrogant enough to believe that every smart person who came before them just didn't think to say, "Think positive". Sheer unmitigated gall, bootstrapped to ivy league educations, and a fundamental misunderstanding of how poverty works form a perfect storm of the worst approach possible.

People from bad neighborhoods don't need smoke blown up their ass, it's been done, at great length, and they've heard every version of it. What they need to hear is, "Here's our plan to get rid of the gangs, renovate the area, and bring in new businesses that'll help provide proper jobs." Period, that's it. Anything else is just blowing more smoke up their ass.

No rat bastard will ever fuck over as many people so very thoroughly, as a smart person convinced they're right, and everyone else just doesn't get their genius.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-13-2015, 08:45 PM
That's what you're not getting, and I don't see why, Tyr. They legitimately have the best intentions, and that's what makes it more dangerous than if they were really trying to screw people over.

See, a con man, at a certain point, has an out, and always maintains an out, so that they're not totally screwed. They know that they're talk a whole ration of shit, and will hem it in on their own, in order to keep the run going. They don't do that. Oh no, they're really arrogant enough to believe that every smart person who came before them just didn't think to say, "Think positive". Sheer unmitigated gall, bootstrapped to ivy league educations, and a fundamental misunderstanding of how poverty works form a perfect storm of the worst approach possible.

People from bad neighborhoods don't need smoke blown up their ass, it's been done, at great length, and they've heard every version of it. What they need to hear is, "Here's our plan to get rid of the gangs, renovate the area, and bring in new businesses that'll help provide proper jobs." Period, that's it. Anything else is just blowing more smoke up their ass.

No rat bastard will ever fuck over as many people so very thoroughly, as a smart person convinced they're right, and everyone else just doesn't get their genius.

I am just not convinced that all of it is arrogance and elitism. Maybe with her but the bamboy has an agenda he knows harms us and he simply does not give a damn as its his way or the damn highway--no way is he an angel or simply a guy trying his best because he believes he knows best. Some of his agenda has clear cut and deliberately very harmful consequences that aid in his overall longer term strategy.
True ,he is a smug bastard but some of it is deliberate deception and deviousness on his part IMHO.
Remember he grew up with a WHORE MOM THAT HATED THIS NATION AND TWO FATHERS THAT HATED IT TOO.
Imagine what they boy was taught.. --Tyr

fj1200
06-19-2015, 10:10 AM
When the first lady speaks and speaks of people like us it is racist.

What is it when she says, "you all are the ones responsible"?