PDA

View Full Version : "Mom, your thinking is becoming too conservative!"

gabosaurus
06-11-2015, 10:45 AM
According to my 14-year-old daughter, I have become a conservative. :terror:
I conform to societal norms and reject modern thinking in making my parental decisions.

It's those damn liberal public schools! They are warping our children! :cool:

Perianne
06-11-2015, 11:15 AM
I conform to societal norms and reject modern thinking in making my parental decisions.

It is normal for a child to see the world through rose-colored glasses. Grownups, however, should be wiser and see things the way I see them.

Try to imagine a world where my viewpoints dominate! :lol:

Abbey Marie
06-11-2015, 11:33 AM

Actually, it IS those damn liberal public schools! :laugh2:

gabosaurus
06-11-2015, 03:44 PM
As if anyone here can envision someone to the left of myself. :uhoh:

Meet my daughter, the budding radical environmentalist. She was so upset about the oil spill off the Santa Barbara coast, she wrote (on her own) to the California attorney general wanting to see the head of the offending company jailed. Or at least the entire company hierarchy forced to clean up the beaches.
Basically, anything that harms wildlife or wildlife habitats is verboten. And we need to get rid of those darn fossil fuels. Which needs to happen anyway. Coal is so 19th century anyway.

Fortunately, she is not a vegetarian. It's OK to have a conscience. But people gotta eat.

hjmick
06-11-2015, 04:18 PM

Meet my daughter, the budding radical environmentalist. She was so upset about the oil spill off the Santa Barbara coast, she wrote (on her own) to the California attorney general wanting to see the head of the offending company jailed. Or at least the entire company hierarchy forced to clean up the beaches.
Basically, anything that harms wildlife or wildlife habitats is verboten. And we need to get rid of those darn fossil fuels. Which needs to happen anyway. Coal is so 19th century anyway.

Fortunately, she is not a vegetarian. It's OK to have a conscience. But people gotta eat.

Oh hell, there are a whole lot of people to the left of you...

Abbey Marie
06-11-2015, 04:37 PM

I find that so funny, but it's true. I think I was more to the left than you when I was younger, for example.

Jeff
06-11-2015, 06:16 PM

See Gabs like I said in another thread, even a broken clock is right twice a day. :laugh:

Drummond
06-11-2015, 07:14 PM

Oh, nonsense !! Of course I can !! Stalin comes immediately to mind ......

How about Fidel Castro ? Arguably ... Hugo Chavez ?

... Pol Pot ?

You see, Gabby, really, it's quite easy ...

Does she imagine that the Company involved does such things deliberately ?

Has she ever made a mess, and thought she should be jailed for it ? Funnily enough, I suspect ... not ....

A certain British Leftie (... and yes, he, too, may be more Left wing than you) would DEFINITELY disagree with you on that last one. To him, dependence on coal is/was a way of dispensing with democratically elected Governments he happened not to approve of at the time. His name .. Arthur Scargill. Do some research .. I'm sure your family will be impressed.

Get her to stroke a pig sometime, just to confuse her a little. If that doesn't confuse, try convincing her that Obama is good for America (you can't fail with that one !) Just so long as she doesn't start objecting to bacon sandwiches on religious grounds ....

tailfins
06-11-2015, 08:29 PM

My youngest son wanted to tell off that useless nigger kid on the last day of school. He said, why not send that kid to jail already? He never tries and just holds up the rest of the class. They started the school year off in McKinney ISD. Both my sons want us to move back to McKinney even if the houses are not quite as nice.

Kathianne
06-12-2015, 09:43 AM

I was no different at her age. The writings of Paul Ehrlich and Rachel Carson had me in tears at times. I wrote to the governor and Congressional representatives repeatedly. I was very involved in early environmental movement. Then those things didn't happen, at least not how envisioned. I learned that some temperance was necessary in evaluating what I read and what was 'taught.' Didn't happen overnight.

I'm still very concerned about the environment, just have a healthy amount of skepticism for what is purported to be 'facts.'

jimnyc
06-12-2015, 09:57 AM
My youngest son wanted to tell off that useless nigger kid on the last day of school. He said, why not send that kid to jail already? He never tries and just holds up the rest of the class. They started the school year off in McKinney ISD. Both my sons want us to move back to McKinney even if the houses are not quite as nice.

Yikes, I hope your youngest didn't quite use those words.

gabosaurus
06-12-2015, 10:43 AM

Referring to someone as a "useless n--- kid" is a good way to get stabbed or otherwise assaulted.

Tailfins, I thought your kids were homeschooled? Surely I can't imagine your kids going to public schools. Especially in a place like McKinney. And yes, I know about the area. One of my best friends went to HS in Grapevine.

Currently I am dealing with my daughter's quick temper and total lack of a filter. The result of which have led to more than a few problems with school administrators and a few helicopter parents.

tailfins
06-12-2015, 06:58 PM
Referring to someone as a "useless n--- kid" is a good way to get stabbed or otherwise assaulted.

Tailfins, I thought your kids were homeschooled? Surely I can't imagine your kids going to public schools. Especially in a place like McKinney. And yes, I know about the area. One of my best friends went to HS in Grapevine.

Currently I am dealing with my daughter's quick temper and total lack of a filter. The result of which have led to more than a few problems with school administrators and a few helicopter parents.

That's what my son said to *me*. I told him that would get him more trouble than he bargained for. He decided to ditch the last day of school instead. He rarely gets in trouble at school. He is an accomplished sneak.

Perianne
06-12-2015, 07:09 PM
Yikes, I hope your youngest didn't quite use those words.

Which words? :)

tailfins
06-12-2015, 07:23 PM
Which words? :)

Do you get a thrill out of seeing the phrase "useless nigger" in print? If so, I hope I was of service. :thumb: Like I told my youngest, feel free to use the phrase around me, but it will likely get you into trouble elsewhere.

Perianne
06-12-2015, 07:27 PM
Do you get a thrill out of seeing the phrase "useless nigger" in print? If so, I hope I was of service. :thumb:

This forum is filled with smart-asses, including you, sir. I never talk to men as such, but you have rubbed me the wrong way.

I wish this forum well. The constant smart alecks on this forum are just too much.

tailfins
06-12-2015, 07:30 PM
This forum is filled with smart-asses, including you, sir. I never talk to men as such, but you have rubbed me the wrong way.

I wish this forum well. The constant smart alecks on this forum are just too much.

I was playing along with your rhetorical question. I gave you the answer you were fishing for.

hjmick
06-12-2015, 07:34 PM
Do you get a thrill out of seeing the phrase "useless nigger" in print? If so, I hope I was of service. :thumb: Like I told my youngest, feel free to use the phrase around me, but it will likely get you into trouble elsewhere.

"...feel free to use the phrase around me..."

Really? My kids use a phrase like that around me and I'd slap them upside the head... And they are 32, 28, & 23... I raised them better than that...

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-12-2015, 11:00 PM

Really? My kids use a phrase like that around me and I'd slap them upside the head... And they are 32, 28, & 23... I raised them better than that...

No need to ever say it like that when the term " lazy bastard " fits quite well when its true about a person.
Using the N-word just gives 'em ammo to cry about whitey being so prejudice all the while ignoring their own prejudices..
TF may do that but its not right nor is it instructive.
Perhaps he should be teaching about individual responsibility and different cultural norms instead IMHO..-Tyr

Jeff
06-13-2015, 01:20 AM

Dang Bro I didn't think you where old enough to have kids that old. You certainly don't look it.

jimnyc
06-13-2015, 06:40 AM

Peri, can you just please put those people on ignore that make you want to not be here?

hjmick
06-13-2015, 12:51 PM
Dang Bro I didn't think you where old enough to have kids that old. You certainly don't look it.

50, brother. The oldest is actually my stepdaughter, but I call her mine...

And thanks, I needed that. LOL

tailfins
06-13-2015, 01:01 PM

I see my job as keeping them out of trouble. I avoid hassling them over stuff like that. I often tell them that by tricking me or sneaking around, etc., all they are doing is outsmarting a barrier between them and trouble.

Drummond
06-13-2015, 02:03 PM
Peri, can you just please put those people on ignore that make you want to not be here?

I'm not a great fan of the 'ignore' facility ... but even so, that's way better than the alternative Perianne seemed to be hinting at.

Perianne, stick around !!! I enjoy your posts and your presence here.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-13-2015, 02:24 PM
I'm not a great fan of the 'ignore' facility ... but even so, that's way better than the alternative Perianne seemed to be hinting at.

Perianne, stick around !!! I enjoy your posts and your presence here.

Great advice, I sure hopes she stays. To save a lot of precious time I used the ignore function recently and its been a Godsend in my opinion.
Of course it took me a tad over three years to get around to it in that particular case but I am a stubborn old dog thats for sure. :laugh:-Tyr

LongTermGuy
06-13-2015, 02:57 PM
Great advice, I sure hopes she stays. To save a lot of precious time I used the ignore function recently and its been a Godsend in my opinion.
Of course it took me a tad over three years to get around to it in that particular case but I am a stubborn old dog thats for sure. :laugh:-Tyr

*Maybe its better for some...just to ignore you...and you go on about your business...*you are more of a "responder" when it comes to nasty business like many good folks here....:)

tailfins
06-13-2015, 04:34 PM

Or she could just make her preferences known. I thought I was fulfilling a specific request.