PDA

View Full Version : Oh man - horrible :( dead bunny

darin
06-16-2015, 01:52 PM
While at work my 16y/o daughter called in hysterics. While she was mowing our yard she hit a nest of baby bunnies hidden in the tall grass. One died instantly one was scalped but alive. As I work an hour away from home, over the phone I talked her through putting-down the survivor with a whack of the shovel. That was one of the most-difficult things I've ever had to do; I can't imagine how difficult that must have been for her. What's more awful/traumatic - watching a bunny slowly die in the driveway, or doing something drastic to end the suffering? We live in the country; My kids shoot, fish, and that sorta thing. But it's awful. She just texted me: "I dont wanna talk about it. It happened, it sucks. Really really sucks but I cant change it and now they're gone to bunny heaven and I burried them" :(

LongTermGuy
06-16-2015, 02:54 PM
While at work my 16y/o daughter called in hysterics. While she was mowing our yard she hit a nest of baby bunnies hidden in the tall grass. One died instantly one was scalped but alive. As I work an hour away from home, over the phone I talked her through putting-down the survivor with a whack of the shovel. That was one of the most-difficult things I've ever had to do; I can't imagine how difficult that must have been for her. What's more awful/traumatic - watching a bunny slowly die in the driveway, or doing something drastic to end the suffering? We live in the country; My kids shoot, fish, and that sorta thing. But it's awful. She just texted me: "I dont wanna talk about it. It happened, it sucks. Really really sucks but I cant change it and now they're gone to bunny heaven and I burried them" :(

That is horrible....Good luck with that...

WiccanLiberal
06-16-2015, 04:06 PM
A really horrible lesson for a kid to have to deal with but also a really useful one. It sounds like you raised a very capable child.

hjmick
06-16-2015, 04:18 PM
Ah man...

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-16-2015, 11:25 PM
A life lesson. All things die and sometimes its very tragic but sometimes its not.
Children have to learn sometimes , sounds like you raised her right-she listened to Dad and did as was instructed. -Tyr

Jeff
06-17-2015, 07:51 AM
Dang that really stink for a young kid to have to go threw as well as Dad having to be so far and knowing her pain.

Heck I hunt and am a lot older than this young lady, when I first moved to SC I worked for the road department and they sent me out on a 10-20 ( don't remember the exact call number but it was to pick up a dead animal ) when I got there I walked over to the dog and just before I slid the shovel under it, it moved, scared the heck out of me. I got on the radio and called back telling them that I had a 10-20 & 1/2 they asked what that was and I told them the dog was still alive, well the poor animal must of had a broken back because it couldn't really move, but that was one of the hardest things I ever had to do, even though it was the most humane thing.

Hate y'all had to have that experience dmp.

Voted4Reagan
06-17-2015, 08:01 AM

You made her do the responsible, humane and proper thing. A good life lesson. She'll turn out better for it.

darin
06-17-2015, 08:05 AM
Her and my texts just after...

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7327&d=1434546272

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7328&d=1434546277

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7329&d=1434546282

tailfins
06-17-2015, 08:06 AM

My wife likes to mow the lawn and had the same experience recently. That's when I feel like less than a person. The best I could do is stand there like robot and ask "what do you want me to do?" Reminding her that wild rabbits only have a three year life span didn't seem to help.

AllieBaba
07-28-2015, 01:13 PM
Her and my texts just after...

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7327&d=1434546272

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7328&d=1434546277

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7329&d=1434546282I love how you tried to get out of dress shopping, but she soldiered on!

AllieBaba
07-28-2015, 01:14 PM
Next time have your doggy do a sweep of the area to be mowed before you mow. My dog would go ahead and kill them anyway, but at least it would be super quick.

indago
07-28-2015, 05:13 PM
I'll never forget a news story on TV a few years ago. An elderly man was mowing his lawn on a riding mower, driving it in and around and backing up to get into tight spaces on his back lawn. He drove the mower into a corner and backed up to get another angle at the corner and heard and felt a crunch and it nearly stalled the mower. He couldn't imagine what had happened, there was nothing there when he drove into the area. he shut the engine off and got off the mower and lifted it up to see what had happened, and there was his two year old granddaughter. There was nothing they could do for her.

She loved riding on the mower with her Grandfather. She was taking a nap while he was mowing, and when she heard him running the mower, she got up and went outside and went to climb up on the back of the mower when he backed it up. He didn't look back when he backed the mower up. The whole family was devastated, especially the Grandfather.

AllieBaba
07-28-2015, 05:25 PM
Omg!