PDA

View Full Version : Federal ID Cards

Monkeybone
07-04-2007, 10:21 AM
anyone else heard about this? it would have some basic identifying stuff on the card itself, but then it can be scanned and it tell almost all of your info.

good idea or bad idea?

i say good cause it will help with almost everything and maybe make security easier?

bad idea, it will be just another item to lose and this could be a bad one if lost.

glockmail
07-04-2007, 11:02 AM
anyone else heard about this? it would have some basic identifying stuff on the card itself, but then it can be scanned and it tell almost all of your info.

good idea or bad idea?

i say good cause it will help with almost everything and maybe make security easier?

bad idea, it will be just another item to lose and this could be a bad one if lost.

I think its a good idea. I would also like to see chips embedded under the skin with a GPS transponder.

JohnDoe
07-04-2007, 11:06 AM
I think its a good idea. I would also like to see chips embedded under the skin with a GPS transponder.

I sure hope you are being sarcastic here glock, but IF you are not, why do you think such?

glockmail
07-04-2007, 11:18 AM
I sure hope you are being sarcastic here glock, but IF you are not, why do you think such? If people are law-abiding, then they should appreciate the guv'mint being able to know where they are at all times. Having this on record would give us all perfect alibies if we are eery accussed of a crime.

Monkeybone
07-04-2007, 11:26 AM
the GPS is somewhat understandable...but i don't know. i can see pros and cons. specially if someone is lost or kidnapped. but what if they don't wanna be found? should it only be the government that can use it? or can the local cops use it?

but back to the cards, should they be required to work? and could we design them to be drivers liscense? have like an add on 'marjer/program' that verifies driving ability when swiped?

would this card and the swiping lead to too much government control?

glockmail
07-04-2007, 11:35 AM
the GPS is somewhat understandable...but i don't know. i can see pros and cons. specially if someone is lost or kidnapped. but what if they don't wanna be found? should it only be the government that can use it? or can the local cops use it?

but back to the cards, should they be required to work? and could we design them to be drivers liscense? have like an add on 'marjer/program' that verifies driving ability when swiped?

would this card and the swiping lead to too much government control?

Why wouldn't someone want to be found? Chances are they have done something that they ar ashamed of. Why would you want to defend those types?

As for the cards, I'm all for it. States that issue drivers licenses with the required technology should be able to issue them, saving room in my wallet (too many freaking cards as it is!).

Monkeybone
07-04-2007, 12:11 PM
sorry, to clarify, i meant someone that has left home and doesn't wanna be found. that is what i meant. should they only be for law and emergency purposes?

agreed, i would rather have a single card instead of a whole mess of them. they would have to make a pin # or even go as far with the bio-security stuff to use like a thumbprint when it is swiped.

JohnDoe
07-04-2007, 12:27 PM
If people are law-abiding, then they should appreciate the guv'mint being able to know where they are at all times. Having this on record would give us all perfect alibies if we are eery accussed of a crime.

But that is an absolute invaision of privacy from our government?

That breaks one of our own foundations and fundamental need for freedom and liberty from the British, and over reaching government.

This is a huge danger to true freedom and Liberty from one's government abuse of power imo?

Never, I will Never agree to any means of biometric ID, or any kind of gps tracing of me, or any kind of Big Brother that you are willing to have that relates to these kind of things.

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
Benjamin Franklin

Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security.
Benjamin Franklin

glockmail
07-04-2007, 01:08 PM
sorry, to clarify, i meant someone that has left home and doesn't wanna be found. that is what i meant. should they only be for law and emergency purposes?

agreed, i would rather have a single card instead of a whole mess of them. they would have to make a pin # or even go as far with the bio-security stuff to use like a thumbprint when it is swiped.

Why would someone not want to be found? If a child, then they don't have that right. If an adult, then they are likely to be skirting their responsibilities at home and should be hunted down. If an abused spose, then they should get a restraining order and have their chip re-programmed.

glockmail
07-04-2007, 01:10 PM

That breaks one of our own foundations and fundamental need for freedom and liberty from the British, and over reaching government.

This is a huge danger to true freedom and Liberty from one's government abuse of power imo?

Never, I will Never agree to any means of biometric ID, or any kind of gps tracing of me, or any kind of Big Brother that you are willing to have that relates to these kind of things.

Having a chip on your shoulder is a loss of liberty? So the guv'mint knows where I am. How does that take away from my freedom?

Monkeybone
07-04-2007, 01:48 PM
John, most of what we are saying are ideas. i think that these are supposed to more like "Yes i am an american citizen" card than all of the above. instead of having to bring in multiple forms of ID, like to the DMV, you flach the card and it brings up a pic and show that it is you. almost the same thing as a driver's liscense , but federal.

Mr. P
07-04-2007, 02:38 PM

good idea or bad idea?

I heard about it about a year ago. BAD idea and BIG mistake, IMO. There is nothing to be gained by the government that state drivers license doesn't already provide, unless it's about control of the entire population.

I see a "national" ID card as a threat to freedom.

manu1959
07-04-2007, 02:39 PM

if you have a cell phone or a car with onstar they know where you are....

Mr. P
07-04-2007, 02:50 PM
if you have a cell phone or a car with onstar they know where you are....

But you CAN turn that OFF. :slap:

nevadamedic
07-04-2007, 04:00 PM

good idea or bad idea?

Great Idea!

manu1959
07-04-2007, 04:49 PM
But you CAN turn that OFF. :slap:

cell phones have an OFF function? ! :poke:

nevadamedic
07-04-2007, 04:54 PM

Yup and people don't seem to know how to use that, especially during movies, they don't realize that is damn rude.

Mr. P
07-04-2007, 05:37 PM

Yeah, and so does the gps function of the phone. :slap:

manu1959
07-04-2007, 05:50 PM
Yeah, and so does the gps function of the phone. :slap:

but the point of a cell phone is to use it........no?

Mr. P
07-04-2007, 05:59 PM
but the point of a cell phone is to use it........no?

You can use it without the gps function on.

Monkeybone
07-05-2007, 08:03 AM
ok...getting back to it...what i heard on the news was that it was just a card, no gps or anything. if it is just a card how about that then Mr. P? i tink that it would help with illegal immigrants also. like they woulnd't be able to get a liscence without one. not that it would really stop them from driving...but just an example.

can't they jack into the phone/onstar and turn them on anyway if they really wanted to?

JohnDoe
07-05-2007, 08:26 AM
Having a chip on your shoulder is a loss of liberty? So the guv'mint knows where I am. How does that take away from my freedom?

Liberty and Freedom, which was so important to us,

WAS liberty and freedom FROM our GOVERNMENT? Is this forgotten?

glockmail
07-05-2007, 08:48 AM

Wrong-o. Liberty and Freedom are granted from God to the People, and The People give government limited powers.

Government can only take away.

Dilloduck
07-05-2007, 08:49 AM

If people could quit being assholes, I think the "government" would be glad to let us go about our merry way. Either that or they could just make it legal for us to take out the dangerous assholes by ouselves. A little wave of vigilantism might go a long way. :poke:

Dilloduck
07-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Wrong-o. Liberty and Freedom are granted from God to the People, and The People give government limited powers.

Hell, they can't even take away. All they can do if punish us for doing crap that they try to restrict us from doing---(if they can catch us at it) :dance:

Mr. P
07-05-2007, 09:16 AM
ok...getting back to it...what i heard on the news was that it was just a card, no gps or anything. if it is just a card how about that then Mr. P? i tink that it would help with illegal immigrants also. like they woulnd't be able to get a liscence without one. not that it would really stop them from driving...but just an example.

can't they jack into the phone/onstar and turn them on anyway if they really wanted to?

It's not JUST a card. Think National Data base, lose of liberty and 1984.

http://news.com.com/FAQ+How+Real+ID+will+affect+you/2100-1028_3-5697111.html

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul202.html

Monkeybone
07-05-2007, 09:41 AM
i was born in 85.....

Hagbard Celine
07-05-2007, 09:42 AM
It's the mark-o-the BEAST!!! EEK!

Monkeybone
07-05-2007, 09:46 AM
but now that i read those links....i don't know...good idea, bad idea still. there are pros and cons with everything.

JohnDoe
07-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Hell, they can't even take away. All they can do if punish us for doing crap that they try to restrict us from doing---(if they can catch us at it) :dance:

That is the motto for the people in my new state. We keep asking neighbors, ''can we do this or can we do that... with our property or with the house without permits or permission'' and their answer is. ''Sure you can do that, as long as you don't get caught!'' lol The true American spirit is alive and well up here!

Gaffer
07-05-2007, 10:31 AM
A government ID card is the first step toward population control and totalitarianism. Surrender your freedoms for security and you lose your freedom. Just as Franklin said.

If you want the government running your life move to cuba.

Monkeybone
07-05-2007, 10:35 AM
i could see this card as a good idea in terms of security, but from the links of Mr. P, i could see it getting abused really quick

JohnDoe
07-05-2007, 11:11 AM

Yes Glock, well put, and THAT IS what I meant by my statement, even if it may not have come off that way.