PDA

View Full Version : Kid goes to school for 2 hours?

jimnyc
06-22-2015, 08:20 AM
What's the point? What do you say, Kath? Do they get credit for an entire day just for showing up for 2 hours? Not sure why else they waste my time and theirs for such a short time, and really no classes. Same thing goes for tomorrow. Fighting this knucklehead to get out of bed, to stay out of bed, to not go back to bed... and then get him to school. And then I'll be going to get him before I finish my cup of coffee!!

Said1
06-22-2015, 10:06 AM
What's the point? What do you say, Kath? Do they get credit for an entire day just for showing up for 2 hours? Not sure why else they waste my time and theirs for such a short time, and really no classes. Same thing goes for tomorrow. Fighting this knucklehead to get out of bed, to stay out of bed, to not go back to bed... and then get him to school. And then I'll be going to get him before I finish my cup of coffee!!

That's about the amount of time my daughter spends at school each day. She works independently and can leave when she finishes 1 lesson. She can stay longer, but obviously rarely does. Anyway, the idea is one lesson a day, over 30 school days, equals one credit. She works on one credit at a time. while in theory, this is actually good for her; however, what is not good is the school, and their zero consequences until a student misses 30 consecutive days, is pathetic. I was in a similar program, but miss 3 days in a row without a doctor's note, don't even bother coming back.

Kathianne
06-22-2015, 10:44 AM
What's the point? What do you say, Kath? Do they get credit for an entire day just for showing up for 2 hours? Not sure why else they waste my time and theirs for such a short time, and really no classes. Same thing goes for tomorrow. Fighting this knucklehead to getcontent://media/external/file/3417 out of bed, to stay out of bed, to not go back to bed... and then get him to school. And then I'll be going to get him before I finish my cup of coffee!!
I'm only familiar with IL law. To get credit for the day, have to do 1/2 day, lunch included. End of year often has 'non-credit' days, though not in high schools. Usually done for report cards or such. Attendance isn't taken, but kids don't kniw that.

gabosaurus
06-22-2015, 11:46 AM
It depends on what kind of program your kid is enrolled in. If your school is doing intensive AHDD sessions, two hours might be the maximum they use.
If you have questions, request a parent conference. Most schools are willing to outline their programs.

In any case, your kid shouldn't be sitting in bed at anytime between school and bedtime. My mom had a great solution for non-academic days. We could sit around until lunch (you could substitute class dismissal time). Then she took away all phones, games and other distractions and threw us outside. We couldn't come back until dinner, which was usually sometime after 5:30.
This forces you to find a way to entertain yourself. Which, for me, meant gathering up as many friends as possible to cause trouble. :cool:

Jeff
06-22-2015, 12:47 PM
Jim the boy is still in school ??? My kids been out for over a month already.

That 2 hours is because they have to have so many in, did y'all have alot of snow days this year ? we use to have to go for that very reason and yes if you showed for the 2 hours it counted as a day.

Gunny
06-22-2015, 01:21 PM

That 2 hours is because they have to have so many in, did y'all have alot of snow days this year ? we use to have to go for that very reason and yes if you showed for the 2 hours it counted as a day.

Depends on where you go to school. In Texas, you get out May 31st but you Start Aug 17th. Schools that start after Labor Day usually get out the middle of June. NY probably had some snow days to make up as well.

I used to love starting school in FL or CA and finishing the year in TX. Beat them out of about a month of school. :laugh:

aboutime
06-22-2015, 02:18 PM

Jim. Easy answer, if you really need to know. The teachers NEED that day's pay. Their Union reps probably included a specific number of days IN THE CLASSROOM to abide by their contract.

It's been happening for many years. Honestly!

jimnyc
06-22-2015, 03:41 PM

Yeah, Jordan has to make up for like 85 snow days, forgot about that. And your kids are out because if they were still in a classroom today they would melt!

Jeff
06-23-2015, 01:50 AM
Yeah, Jordan has to make up for like 85 snow days, forgot about that. And your kids are out because if they were still in a classroom today they would melt!

Have to agree with you on the melting Jim, to hot to even ride today, my goodness I almost cooked. :laugh:

85 days, my God y'all must of had a bad winter, even if that is exaggerated it must have been a bad one, but heck think of all the exercise you got shoveling. :laugh: