PDA

View Full Version : Hot

Kathianne
06-24-2015, 07:47 AM
Yesterday at 4:30 pm, the thermostat sat at 107. (Accuweather said it was 99.) The thermostat was in the shade.

Today is supposed to be warmer. Acc Weather says, 98-yesterday's predicted high was 98.

Friday's predicted high: 101.

It's weird trying to get 'weather forecasts' for Sedona. Local weather is from Phoenix, best I can figure is to subtract about 18 degrees. Doesn't always work. Elevation seems to be most predictive factor, though we seem to get more rain from the Pacific.

Anyways, I'm off Friday and Saturday. Going to have a friend over Friday afternoon. Swimming, hot tub, and dinner. Making "Salmon and tomatoes in foil"; Roasted potatoes, peppers, and onions; blueberry cobbler. My kind of menu, the salmon can be put together the night or morning before, oven for 15 minutes. So I figure we come back from pool, throw the veggies in, shower, throw the salmon in. Then the cobbler-eat while it cooks. Get dishes done and hopefully will be cool enough for dessert on patio.

Saturday going to look for airfares to Chicago for September. Godson is getting married and it's time for a visit.

jimnyc
06-24-2015, 07:54 AM
Yesterday at 4:30 pm, the thermostat sat at 107. (Accuweather said it was 99.) The thermostat was in the shade.

Today is supposed to be warmer. Acc Weather says, 98-yesterday's predicted high was 98.

It's weird trying to get 'weather forecasts' for Sedona. Local weather is from Phoenix, best I can figure is to subtract about 18 degrees. Doesn't always work. Elevation seems to be most predictive factor, though we seem to get more rain from the Pacific.

So it was well over 100, and you need to subtract 18 when reading from elsewhere? Yikes! I'd have about a 100,000 BTU air conditioner in my tiny little room!!

Kathianne
06-24-2015, 08:00 AM
So it was well over 100, and you need to subtract 18 when reading from elsewhere? Yikes! I'd have about a 100,000 BTU air conditioner in my tiny little room!!

Not exactly. The thermostat is at home. Accuweather is supposed to be predictions for Sedona. Local news though use meteorologists predictions for Phoenix. Those are the ones that I use subtraction for. Phoenix is 'way hotter' LOL!, than Sedona.

Yesterday I actually contemplated running up to Flagstaff to have dinner, just to be outside and cooler. I was just too hot to get in car. Too comfortable in the house to change and go to pool. Just too damn hot!

Kathianne
06-24-2015, 08:17 AM
The weather change was just sudden. It had been in the 60's and at night 40's. Suddenly it's high 90's and 100's. That's not going to change for awhile, gotta adjust. ;)

Jeff
06-24-2015, 08:51 AM
We have been hot as hell down here, everyday up around 100 and with the heat index it is way above that, heck 10 at night you walk outside and start sweating. I just came in from cutting the front part of my land, yup I need a shower now for sure and I did this at 8 am.

jimnyc
06-24-2015, 09:12 AM
Damn, and I was complaining because it was 71 already. :) I still have my sweatshirt on too!! But that's because my room is very small, and the air is set to 62 in here. :)

Jeff
06-24-2015, 09:14 AM
The weather change was just sudden. It had been in the 60's and at night 40's. Suddenly it's high 90's and 100's. That's not going to change for awhile, gotta adjust. ;)

We have had hot weather ever since the rain quit, and it just seems to get hotter and hotter.

Gunny
06-24-2015, 12:13 PM

Anyways, I'm off Friday and Saturday. Going to have a friend over Friday afternoon. Swimming, hot tub, and dinner. Making "Salmon and tomatoes in foil"; Roasted potatoes, peppers, and onions; blueberry cobbler. My kind of menu, the salmon can be put together the night or morning before, oven for 15 minutes. So I figure we come back from pool, throw the veggies in, shower, throw the salmon in. Then the cobbler-eat while it cooks. Get dishes done and hopefully will be cool enough for dessert on patio.

Saturday going to look for airfares to Chicago for September. Godson is getting married and it's time for a visit.

Welcome to the Southwest. :laugh:

Was 102 here yesterday. Rule of thumb: if a plant says "full sunlight" don't believe it.

Since you know I moved from IL back home last year, I thought I was going to die. :laugh:

I hate salmon, btw. :)

sundaydriver
06-24-2015, 12:28 PM
Hot & humid is why I left Miami. Okay, I didn't speak Spanish either and the Caribbean dialects were just killing me. :laugh:

It's 75 here right now with low humidity and a clear blue sky, perfect for the outdoor work I'm doing today. Worth waiting all winter for.

Perianne
06-24-2015, 12:35 PM
I thought maybe this thread was about me. :)

Gunny
06-24-2015, 12:38 PM
Hot & humid is why I left Miami. Okay, I didn't speak Spanish either and the Caribbean dialects were just killing me. :laugh:

It's 75 here right now with low humidity and a clear blue sky, perfect for the outdoor work I'm doing today. Worth waiting all winter for.

I loved Miami. Didn't like that humidity so much though, but I worked nights. Days were on the beach or Eliot Key. 78 degrees on Christmas day was a bit concerting though.:laugh:

Gunny
06-24-2015, 12:39 PM
I thought maybe this thread was about me. :)

I thought it was about Kathianne? :laugh:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-24-2015, 02:10 PM
Not exactly. The thermostat is at home. Accuweather is supposed to be predictions for Sedona. Local news though use meteorologists predictions for Phoenix. Those are the ones that I use subtraction for. Phoenix is 'way hotter' LOL!, than Sedona.

Yesterday I actually contemplated running up to Flagstaff to have dinner, just to be outside and cooler. I was just too hot to get in car. Too comfortable in the house to change and go to pool. Just too damn hot!

Heat index here today ranging from 107 to 122. Humidity is a killer here my friend. They have issued several hot weather warnings here today.
And thats why I decided that today is a good day to remain in, remain coooooooooooooool and write a bit..-Tyr

Gunny
06-24-2015, 02:11 PM
I thought it was about Kathianne? :laugh:

I'm kind of curious though. I think you're stalking me. :laugh:

I lived in Farmington, IL when you lived in Chicago. Now I live in ABQ, NM and you live in Sedona.

I think you need to fine tune your stalkermanship and at least move withing driving distance. Gas is expensive.:laugh:

Gunny
06-24-2015, 02:14 PM
And it's 100+ degrees here again today. :laugh:

sundaydriver
06-24-2015, 02:28 PM
I loved Miami. Didn't like that humidity so much though, but I worked nights. Days were on the beach or Eliot Key. 78 degrees on Christmas day was a bit concerting though.:laugh:

I always had a good time in Miami but classes took too much time away from my fun and then work. :laugh:

Max R.
06-24-2015, 02:33 PM

Flagstaff is one of the areas my wife and I are thinking about spending July-September for a cooler clime in retirement. North Texas is just too hot and humid. The elevation helps. I've spent a lot of time down at San Luis Potosi and Leon Mexico and it's been 10-15 degrees cooler than Texas.

LongTermGuy
06-24-2015, 02:33 PM
We have been hot as hell down here, everyday up around 100 and with the heat index it is way above that, heck 10 at night you walk outside and start sweating. I just came in from cutting the front part of my land, yup I need a shower now for sure and I did this at 8 am.

Im close to Your neck of the woods...so I understand the heat...another thing...The Mosquitoes are bad now here...everybody is complaining...but Im not getting bit!..strange...last few years the mosquitoes have left me alone...

Drummond
06-24-2015, 02:36 PM
Heat index here today ranging from 107 to 122. Humidity is a killer here my friend. They have issued several hot weather warnings here today.
And thats why I decided that today is a good day to remain in, remain coooooooooooooool and write a bit..-Tyr

... URGGHH !

This is one very depressing thread !

Summer has started, in earnest, in my locality .. which is south Wales, UK. Temperatures are considered 'summery', right now, with it going up to the mid-Sixties fahrenheit !!

Where I am, it's called a decent summer if temperatures consistently reach the mid-Seventies. Getting as hot as the mid to late Eighties is considered to be exceptional / a heatwave.

I miss my days in north London. There, the Eighties were 'average', the Nineties were 'a heatwave', and exceptionally hot only when hovering around blood temperature or hotter ...

aboutime
06-24-2015, 02:36 PM
When will anyone finally begin to understand what is happening with the weather?

Since my first days back in the early 50's, when my parents took me out into the backyard, to swim in the Washtub because it was Soooooo hot; every year since then...strangely enough...in the SUMMER months. It was so hot. Everybody complained about the heat, and needing to cool off, until the almost daily Thunderstorms came just before dinner..and cooled everything down. And that was all before AIR CONDITIONING, since all we had was One electric fan...sitting in the living room window, where the whole family listened to the radio, or the black and white TV until bedtime.
And all of that was before anything called DOPLER weather, the Weather channel, or satellite views of storms across the country that...EVERYBODY was surprised....everyday, to learn about with the annual Tornado's in the center of the nation.

We have all become so demanding of INSTANT news, and gratification. So many of us aren't old enough to know, or even think about how LIFE was...before they were born, when people actually cared for one-another as neighbors...instead of strangers who threaten us because WE DON'T KNOW HOW TO TALK...since texting, emails, and always needing to be entertained is more important than Getting Educated, and taught how to be personally responsible by example, and using HISTORY to guide us.
How sad it is today. Those who haven't lived long enough to remember History...do not want to hear it, or learn how THE WORLD HASN'T REALLY CHANGED with Global Warming/Cooling. Only the people have changed, and they are generally DUMBER THAN ROCKS.

Gunny
06-24-2015, 02:40 PM
Flagstaff is one of the areas my wife and I are thinking about spending July-September for a cooler clime in retirement. North Texas is just too hot and humid. The elevation helps. I've spent a lot of time down at San Luis Potosi and Leon Mexico and it's been 10-15 degrees cooler than Texas.

You call NORTH Texas hot? Hell, that's like winter for us. And yes, I DO have a South Texas accent which you can apply to my every quote. :laugh:

Flagstaff is just a few gridsquares west of here. You want to stop by for some coffee or dinner, let me know.

Hint: I wouldn't suggest July-September around here. :)

Abbey Marie
06-24-2015, 06:18 PM
... URGGHH !

This is one very depressing thread !

Summer has started, in earnest, in my locality .. which is south Wales, UK. Temperatures are considered 'summery', right now, with it going up to the mid-Sixties fahrenheit !!

Where I am, it's called a decent summer if temperatures consistently reach the mid-Seventies. Getting as hot as the mid to late Eighties is considered to be exceptional / a heatwave.

I miss my days in north London. There, the Eighties were 'average', the Nineties were 'a heatwave', and exceptionally hot only when hovering around blood temperature or hotter ...

That sounds GREAT to me!

hjmick
06-24-2015, 06:53 PM
I'm kind of curious though. I think you're stalking me. :laugh:

I lived in Farmington, IL when you lived in Chicago. Now I live in ABQ, NM and you live in Sedona.

I think you need to fine tune your stalkermanship and at least move withing driving distance. Gas is expensive.:laugh:

You're in the 505 Gunny? I left there three years ago after living there for three years. I kind of liked it. I miss the food...

But remember guys... it's a dry heat...

Kathianne
06-24-2015, 07:45 PM
Im close to Your neck of the woods...so I understand the heat...another thing...The Mosquitoes are bad now here...everybody is complaining...but Im not getting bit!..strange...last few years the mosquitoes have left me alone...
Point in favor of Sedona. When sunset comes, so do the bats. Few mosquitoes around these parts. One of the benefits beyond views of the mountains! Bat Caves!

LongTermGuy
06-24-2015, 07:51 PM
Point in favor of Sedona. When sunset comes, so do the bats. Few mosquitoes around these parts. One of the benefits beyond views of the mountains! Bat Caves!

Kat...now that would be fascinating to see!

Kathianne
06-24-2015, 07:53 PM
Kat...now that would be fascinating to see!

Takes some getting used to. Last summer I was floating on my back, dive bombed by a bat skimming the water. Holy %^$%%$!

Gunny
06-25-2015, 08:36 PM
You're in the 505 Gunny? I left there three years ago after living there for three years. I kind of liked it. I miss the food...

But remember guys... it's a dry heat...

Well, it IS a dry heat. If it was 102 with th humidity in South Texas we'd die. Ans when I was stationed as a drill instructor a few miles north of Charleston, all I did was sweat. I had to Scotchguard all my uniforms so the sweat would just run into my shoes.:laugh:

And y'all got more bugs than my encyclopedia.:laugh: