PDA

View Full Version : Military Hoverbikes

NightTrain
06-24-2015, 01:12 PM
I will be getting one of these bad boys when they become available, I don't care how expensive it is.

Couple of downsides I can see with this technology : noise and the danger of becoming instant sushi when you wreck one. The fans will have a pretty loud roar and any shrouding around the fans for safety will hinder airflow.

The article says the US Military is interested in these for 'Tactical Recon', but I'm not seeing that with the widespread use of aerial drones that have a much better view of terrain with no danger to personnel. But these would be ideal for mobility with infantry and SF when noise isn't a concern - soft terrain, snow, water, thin ice, sand, all of the normal issues for troop movements would be solved with a bunch of these to move troops around quickly.

We're living in some pretty cool times.

While the military partnership is attracting plenty of attention, Malloy Aeronautics told FoxNews.com that its technology also has great potential in the commercial sector. “It’s well suited to a lot of non-military and commercial uses, such as emergency services, agricultural use, search and rescue and moving cargo around,” said the spokesman.

Malloy Aeronautics’ first hoverbike prototype was a two-propeller bi-copter. However, the company decided that with currently available technology, it could not design a bi-copter cheaply enough for safe and competitive sales, so shifted its development to a four-propeller quadcopter. The latest version of the technology also uses offset and overlapping rotor blades, designed to reduce weight and surface area.

The hoverbike is being designed to function as both a manned and unmanned vehicle, opening up huge potential drone use. “Doctors and paramedics could fly their hoverbikes into disaster zones, assess the casualties and damage in local villages and then send their vehicles back to base as a drone, so they can bring back food, water and medical supplies,” the spokesman explained.

Malloy Aeronautics is “extremely happy” with its hoverbike development work, according to the spokesman, who noted that the technology is performing well in tests. He added, however, that it could be three to five years before the general public gets its hands on the hoverbike.

The hoverbike is 11.5 feet by 5.6 feet, and could reach similar altitudes to a helicopter. “The first prototype was estimated to fly at a height of 9,000 feet,” said the company’s spokesman.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/06/23/us-army-eyes-star-wars-style-hoverbikes-for-tactical-reconnaissance

Gunny
06-24-2015, 01:26 PM
I will be getting one of these bad boys when they become available, I don't care how expensive it is.

Couple of downsides I can see with this technology : noise and the danger of becoming instant sushi when you wreck one. The fans will have a pretty loud roar and any shrouding around the fans for safety will hinder airflow.

The article says the US Military is interested in these for 'Tactical Recon', but I'm not seeing that with the widespread use of aerial drones that have a much better view of terrain with no danger to personnel. But these would be ideal for mobility with infantry and SF when noise isn't a concern - soft terrain, snow, water, thin ice, sand, all of the normal issues for troop movements would be solved with a bunch of these to move troops around quickly.

We're living in some pretty cool times.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/06/23/us-army-eyes-star-wars-style-hoverbikes-for-tactical-reconnaissance

I'm just going to pretend I didn't see this post. Why on Earth would the military want a noise machine?

Gee, I'm 3 miles out and coming in. Hope all your deaf guys are on guard. :laugh::laugh:

NightTrain
06-24-2015, 01:32 PM
I'm just going to pretend I didn't see this post. Why on Earth would the military want a noise machine?

Gee, I'm 3 miles out and coming in. Hope all your deaf guys are on guard. :laugh::laugh:

Yeah, but a convoy of Abrams aren't exactly stealthy, either!

I'd think the fans would be less noisy than, say, an Airboat and I can hear one of those coming about a half mile away or maybe 3/4 mile. Besides, there are military recon helicopters and they're pretty damn noisy. The supersonic tips of the rotors give you away with that snarl.

Gunny
06-24-2015, 01:41 PM
Yeah, but a convoy of Abrams aren't exactly stealthy, either!

I'd think the fans would be less noisy than, say, an Airboat and I can hear one of those coming about a half mile away or maybe 3/4 mile. Besides, there are military recon helicopters and they're pretty damn noisy. The supersonic tips of the rotors give you away with that snarl.

I'm going with the satellite feeds. I know exactly how noisy birds and hovercrafts are. When we actually bust out the hardware though, we don't care if you know we're coming. That means the satellites already smurfed out any info we need. ;)

oh and we'll drag your ass in for some close air support just for entertainment purposes :laugh:

NightTrain
06-24-2015, 01:46 PM
I'm going with the satellite feeds. I know exactly how noisy birds and hovercrafts are. When we actually bust out the hardware though, we don't care if you know we're coming. That means the satellites already smurfed out any info we need. ;)

oh and we'll drag your ass in for some close air support just for entertainment purposes :laugh:

Yeah, that's why I am a bit confused about the 'Recon' bit... they won't be stealthy.

But when the ass kicking is about to be delivered and noise isn't a concern, these babies would be a great vehicle for the troops to zoom around to where they're needed over any terrain.

Have I mentioned how bad I want one of these? :laugh:

Gunny
06-24-2015, 01:57 PM
Yeah, that's why I am a bit confused about the 'Recon' bit... they won't be stealthy.

But when the ass kicking is about to be delivered and noise isn't a concern, these babies would be a great vehicle for the troops to zoom around to where they're needed over any terrain.

Have I mentioned how bad I want one of these? :laugh:

"Recon" don't ride bikes. If you know we're there, someone screwed up.

And if noise isn't an issue, I'll take that Huey Supercobra over a bike ANY day. They only deliver more firepower than a WWII B-17. Not seeing that happening on a motorbike. :)

CSM
06-24-2015, 03:48 PM
I am trying to imagine a scenario where such a device would provide an advantage (never mind be useful in the first place) but not having any success. Might be able to build some kind of sport application for it?

NightTrain
06-24-2015, 04:00 PM
I am trying to imagine a scenario where such a device would provide an advantage (never mind be useful in the first place) but not having any success. Might be able to build some kind of sport application for it?

Transportation, and they'll also be able to be used in "drone mode" to fly themselves to deliver equipment, food, ammo, whatever.

CSM
06-24-2015, 04:04 PM
Transportation, and they'll also be able to be used in "drone mode" to fly themselves to deliver equipment, food, ammo, whatever.

Umanned drone is a possibility...

NightTrain
06-24-2015, 04:07 PM
Umanned drone is a possibility...

You don't think it would be a serious asset for personal transportation with the ability to go over any terrain?

I'd certainly defer to you and Gunny, but it seems to me that would be a huge advantage for our troops.

Gunny
06-24-2015, 04:09 PM

A 53 or 46 can already do all of the above. Are we reinventing the wheel here?

NightTrain
06-24-2015, 04:16 PM
A 53 or 46 can already do all of the above. Are we reinventing the wheel here?

If your platoon is equipped with those hoverbikes, there would be no need to transport them with a helo. Besides, wouldn't it be harder to hit an individual soldier zooming along the ground on one of those or a 53 setting up for a landing to drop the troops off?

Your eggs are all in one basket with the helo, as well... and as you're well aware, it just takes one bullet to bring one down.

Gunny
06-24-2015, 04:27 PM
If your platoon is equipped with those hoverbikes, there would be no need to transport them with a helo. Besides, wouldn't it be harder to hit an individual soldier zooming along the ground on one of those or a 53 setting up for a landing to drop the troops off?

Your eggs are all in one basket with the helo, as well... and as you're well aware, it just takes one bullet to bring one down.

Nah. I'm looking at the conveyance. You can blow a motorcycle off the road with a rifle or IED. You can't do that to a bird. You especially can't do it to a Navy or Marine pilot. They'll hover that plane an inch off the ground and drop the ramp.

You can like motorcycles and want one and that's fine. As a tactical vehicle it's pointless. Back in the day, messengers used them. That was their only tactical benefit. We have cell phones now.

NightTrain
06-25-2015, 11:29 AM
Nah. I'm looking at the conveyance. You can blow a motorcycle off the road with a rifle or IED. You can't do that to a bird. You especially can't do it to a Navy or Marine pilot. They'll hover that plane an inch off the ground and drop the ramp.

You can like motorcycles and want one and that's fine. As a tactical vehicle it's pointless. Back in the day, messengers used them. That was their only tactical benefit. We have cell phones now.

No, Gunny. These aren't motorcycles - they're small helicopters (2 overlapping fans on each end) that fly up to a few thousand feet in altitude.

Balu
06-25-2015, 12:07 PM

Good idea! http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/good.gif
But as a first step to find out whether you can or not pilot it, try something similar to this. It will give you rather new feeling in your stomach and between your hips when you see that under your feet there is approx. 1 kilometer. In the clip below the flight level is only 100 meters.http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/smile3.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tQALgjQaf4

NightTrain
06-25-2015, 12:16 PM
Good idea! http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/good.gif
But as a first step to find out whether you can or not pilot it, try something similar to this. It will give you rather new feeling in your stomach and between your hips when you see that under your feet there is approx. 1 kilometer. In the clip below the flight level is only 100 meters.http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/smile3.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tQALgjQaf4

Yeah, there will be training involved, for sure.

Is that your rig?

Balu
06-25-2015, 12:25 PM
Yeah, there will be training involved, for sure.

Is that your rig?

This exactly is not mine. But a friend of mine has a similar one and sometimes lets me piloting. My grandson adores these flights and almost claims for buying such a trike to him. But he is too young yet. Maybe later.