PDA

View Full Version : Boy's "Honk for the USA" draws the police

jimnyc
07-03-2015, 04:01 PM
But not in a way you would imagine. And more than just the police. This is the city next to where Jeff and I grew up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em3yWbgPwvc

---

Boy's 'Honk for USA' sign draws impromptu parade from Rahway police, fire, others

RAHWAY — His homemade sign was asking for drivers to simply "Honk for the USA," but a Rahway teen got a lot more than that on Thursday.

A sudden parade of sirens and lights came streaming through the corner of Franklin Street and Harold Avenue around 2 p.m. after Rahway officials organized to drive by 14-year-old Shpejtim Zenelaj's patriotic display.

The two-minute-long procession included Rahway police cruisers, fire engines, ambulances, Humvees, DPW trucks and dozens more city vehicles.

Shpejtim Zenelaj and his cousins have been outside holding the sign and waving flags at the intersection since Sunday and plan to continue until July 4.

"I really love this country, and I think that it's important other people know what we are doing, and I hope other people are inspired," Zenelaj told NJ Advance Media. "So many kids now sit inside all day or just play video games."

Zenelaj's parents emigrated from Kosovo and have lived in Rahway for more than 20 years. Zenelaj, who will be a freshman at Rahway High School next year, is a self-proclaimed history buff and hopes to one day become a U.S. senator.

"I've been to Kosovo and Albania and third-world countries," Zenelaj said. "Sometimes the electricity doesn't work or there is no running water. And here, you always have lights and water. I think more people, especially kids, should appreciate that. You don't think about it when you flick a switch here and the lights go on. Over there, it's a miracle."

Zenelaj said he plans to continue holding up the sign tomorrow and has been outside almost all day every day since Sunday.

"We had 150 or so honks before today when we lost count," Zenelaj said. "It was the greatest day of my life. I almost wanted to cry it was so great. One of the officers said, 'It's really great that you're doing this and I really hope more people will get to see you and do things like what you're doing.'"

Rahway Mayor Samson Steinman said Zenelaj and his cousins' patriotism and endurance deserved the big show of recognition.

"For children to stand out here for a whole week straight is pretty impressive. We just wanted to thank them and show them if they put their minds to it they can do whatever," he told MyCentralJersey. "They actually made a difference today."

http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2015/07/watch_rahway_police_fire_big_display_for_fourth_of .html

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-03-2015, 11:15 PM
But not in a way you would imagine. And more than just the police. This is the city next to where Jeff and I grew up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em3yWbgPwvc

---

Boy's 'Honk for USA' sign draws impromptu parade from Rahway police, fire, others

RAHWAY — His homemade sign was asking for drivers to simply "Honk for the USA," but a Rahway teen got a lot more than that on Thursday.

A sudden parade of sirens and lights came streaming through the corner of Franklin Street and Harold Avenue around 2 p.m. after Rahway officials organized to drive by 14-year-old Shpejtim Zenelaj's patriotic display.

The two-minute-long procession included Rahway police cruisers, fire engines, ambulances, Humvees, DPW trucks and dozens more city vehicles.

Shpejtim Zenelaj and his cousins have been outside holding the sign and waving flags at the intersection since Sunday and plan to continue until July 4.

"I really love this country, and I think that it's important other people know what we are doing, and I hope other people are inspired," Zenelaj told NJ Advance Media. "So many kids now sit inside all day or just play video games."

Zenelaj's parents emigrated from Kosovo and have lived in Rahway for more than 20 years. Zenelaj, who will be a freshman at Rahway High School next year, is a self-proclaimed history buff and hopes to one day become a U.S. senator.

"I've been to Kosovo and Albania and third-world countries," Zenelaj said. "Sometimes the electricity doesn't work or there is no running water. And here, you always have lights and water. I think more people, especially kids, should appreciate that. You don't think about it when you flick a switch here and the lights go on. Over there, it's a miracle."

Zenelaj said he plans to continue holding up the sign tomorrow and has been outside almost all day every day since Sunday.

"We had 150 or so honks before today when we lost count," Zenelaj said. "It was the greatest day of my life. I almost wanted to cry it was so great. One of the officers said, 'It's really great that you're doing this and I really hope more people will get to see you and do things like what you're doing.'"

Rahway Mayor Samson Steinman said Zenelaj and his cousins' patriotism and endurance deserved the big show of recognition.

"For children to stand out here for a whole week straight is pretty impressive. We just wanted to thank them and show them if they put their minds to it they can do whatever," he told MyCentralJersey. "They actually made a difference today."

http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2015/07/watch_rahway_police_fire_big_display_for_fourth_of .html

Sad when these new immigrants have to show many Americans what patriotism is!!!!--Tyr

LongTermGuy
07-03-2015, 11:28 PM
Sad when these new immigrants have to show many Americans what patriotism is!!!!--Tyr

*Good thing to see some good proud American flag "wavin"... America loving "immigrants" instead of dangerous leaches....many of us see and hear about on the news...

http://woody.typepad.com/files/mexicans_fuck_off_america.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4s5pmFL_ZlQ/TDx_UNF0VKI/AAAAAAAAD-A/35KUYCC2SpM/s1600/amnesty+illegal+aliens+mexicans+mexico+naturalized +citizens+motivational+posters+online+blogs+hot+fu nny.jpg

Kathianne
07-04-2015, 05:51 AM
What a cool decision by the police and other service folks!

This must be something that has a social media impetus; 2 weeks ago I took a ride to Cottonwood to visit Walmart, on the corner there was a group of young high schoolers waiving flags and holding up signs, "Honk if you support the police" "Honk if you support our first responders!"

Could there be a movement to energize our young people away from their destructive tendencies and towards the positive?

Jeff
07-04-2015, 07:12 AM
What makes this so cool is Rahway even way back when I lived there was basically a dump, so it's cool to see them do something like this.