PDA

View Full Version : Pools and Rules

WiccanLiberal
07-03-2015, 07:07 PM
I don't like messing with other folk's fun. I tend to want my neighbors to enjoy themselves within reason and allow me to do the same. Last night I came home from work and saw my neighbor erecting a 4 foot above ground swimming pool. He was, indeed, almost done and apparently ready to start filling it. You may think this a fine idea with the holiday weekend. I saw a nightmare waiting to happen. You see, I know a few things about pools as my Dad had one for years. Most towns make you get a permit and you have to adequately fence it and have ground fault interrupters on the electric lines for the filter. Now not only is their backyard fence poor at best but the church on the next block has a roof that would overlook the pool by only about 3 feet. Backyard pools need a fence specifically around them and a locking gate. The idea is to prevent unsupervised access and possible child drownings. This family has a toddler child who would only have to walk out the back door and haul a garden chair over to the pool and haul herself over the edge. I had a sudden and very nasty vision of me or V4R having to use our hard earned rescue skills on a drowned child. I pulled out the phone and called the after hours number for the town. The guy on the line was very patient as I explained and then said he would send out someone. To my great surprise the enforcement agent was there within 30 minutes. He spoke to the folks next door and the next thing I see as I am waiting for my Chinese food delivery is the neighbor dismantling the pool. Perhaps I made their holiday less than they would have wanted but I may have saved them from a hideous tragedy if their own or someone else's child fell in.

aboutime
07-03-2015, 07:18 PM
We must never forget. Not everyone is smart enough to understand how their STUPIDITY really shows. Case in point. Our local tv stations are reminding everyone in OUR AREA, about how FIREWORKS are ILLEGAL, and can be punishable with a fine, and possibly worse.

But...the idiots who never pay attention to laws, or warnings are.....SHOOTING THEM OFF RIGHT NOW.

WiccanLiberal
07-03-2015, 07:25 PM
We have loads of illegal fireworks going off around here, My general thought is that the adults and older teens who do this are just demonstrating their qualifications for a Darwin award. But the idea of some adult's ignorance hurting a small child bothers me terribly.

aboutime
07-03-2015, 07:35 PM
We have loads of illegal fireworks going off around here, My general thought is that the adults and older teens who do this are just demonstrating their qualifications for a Darwin award. But the idea of some adult's ignorance hurting a small child bothers me terribly.

Things have actually changed for the worst across this nation. Most will deny it, while others will just insist I am full of crap for trying to RAIN on everybody's Parade.
The difference is. I still obey our laws, and respect our constitution, as well as following the rules I was taught by my parents when I was still a small boy; as in The Ten Commandments.

So, to many. I am the odd ball, while they simply insist...there are no such things as Commandments IF...they don't believe in, or have any faith...in other than always having a good time.