PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR to fans: No more Confederate flags –

Jeff
07-05-2015, 05:21 PM
Tonight is the Firecracker 400 in Daytona Florida, one of the biggest races of the year ( to some only 2nd to the Daytona 500 ) but I am anxious to see how many fans will tell NASCAR to pound salt and fly their Rebel flag, these folks don't fly it for any other reason than most believe it represents the south and that is where NASCAR started. I am sure some will trade their flag for a American flag but I am equally sure that many will fly the rebel flag in spite of all that is going on, should be interesting to see. And by the way when you go to one of these Redneck, Good Ole Boy races now a days there are plenty of black fans there that could care less about that flag.

Dozens of NASCAR speedways have sent out a collective plea to fans to leave their Confederate flags at home and help the racing program steer clear of any perceived discrimination that dents its public relations image and policy of inclusiveness.
“We are asking our fans and partners to join us in a renewed effort to create an all-inclusive, even more welcoming atmosphere for all who attend our events,” a coalition of U.S. racecourses said, the Associated Press reported.

http://www.wnd.com/2015/07/nascar-to-fans-no-more-confederate-flags-please/?cat_orig=us

Kathianne
07-05-2015, 05:26 PM
NASCAR is afraid sponsors will drop out. Personally I think that products that are attractive, but discretionary, to those in the 'middle' are making big mistakes by siding with 'ban the flag.'

I seriously wonder how Walmarts sales are since they decided to get rid of all Southern paraphernalia? I'm pretty sure Amazon wouldn't be hit as hard, but one never knows how libertarians will go.

Mind you, I'm not in favor of that flag. I just think banning stuff is always the wrong way to go.

Jeff
07-05-2015, 06:11 PM
NASCAR is afraid sponsors will drop out. Personally I think that products that are attractive, but discretionary, to those in the 'middle' are making big mistakes by siding with 'ban the flag.'

I seriously wonder how Walmarts sales are since they decided to get rid of all Southern paraphernalia? I'm pretty sure Amazon wouldn't be hit as hard, but one never knows how libertarians will go.

Mind you, I'm not in favor of that flag. I just think banning stuff is always the wrong way to go.

You can tell me Kat, I know you probably have the rebel flag tattooed somewhere, heck it will be our secret. :laugh:

sundaydriver
07-05-2015, 06:24 PM
I remember that back in the late 90's when Dale Jr. started driving for his Dad, he had a small sponsors decal on his car that had a small Confederate battle flag on it. Dale Sr. ripped it off and dropped the sponsor.

The Camping World Truck Series just cancelled it's award banquet at Trump's Doral Miami Golf Resort because the owner of Camping World demanded it. NASCAR agreed rather than throw away a $20 million a year corporate sponsor.

How many threads are on here demanding businesses have the right to deny service to anyone or anything they find offensive to their religious sensibilities, plenty! :poke:

FYI, the flags have not been banned this weekend.

Kathianne
07-05-2015, 06:30 PM
I remember that back in the late 90's when Dale Jr. started driving for his Dad, he had a small sponsors decal on his car that had a small Confederate battle flag on it. Dale Sr. ripped it off and dropped the sponsor.

The Camping World Truck Series just cancelled it's award banquet at Trump's Doral Miami Golf Resort because the owner of Camping World demanded it. NASCAR agreed rather than throw away a $20 million a year corporate sponsor.

How many threads are on here demanding businesses have the right to deny service to anyone or anything they find offensive to their religious sensibilities, plenty! :poke:

There's a world of difference between boycotting a product or business for whatever reason and basically demanding that a product no longer be available.

First it's symbols, next comes books.

Damn fascists.

aboutime
07-05-2015, 06:34 PM
Tonight is the Firecracker 400 in Daytona Florida, one of the biggest races of the year ( to some only 2nd to the Daytona 500 ) but I am anxious to see how many fans will tell NASCAR to pound salt and fly their Rebel flag, these folks don't fly it for any other reason than most believe it represents the south and that is where NASCAR started. I am sure some will trade their flag for a American flag but I am equally sure that many will fly the rebel flag in spite of all that is going on, should be interesting to see. And by the way when you go to one of these Redneck, Good Ole Boy races now a days there are plenty of black fans there that could care less about that flag.

http://www.wnd.com/2015/07/nascar-to-fans-no-more-confederate-flags-please/?cat_orig=us

Imagine NASCAR....who has been Extorted by Jesse Jackson in the past....being worried about NOT losing their BASE, and all the YANKEE Dollars that go with it???

sundaydriver
07-05-2015, 06:40 PM
Imagine NASCAR....who has been Extorted by Jesse Jackson in the past....being worried about NOT losing their BASE, and all the YANKEE Dollars that go with it???

NASCAR has already lost it's base of fans like myself due to poor decisions leading to poor racing and spokespersons as drivers.

sundaydriver
07-05-2015, 06:42 PM
There's a world of difference between boycotting a product or business for whatever reason and basically demanding that a product no longer be available.

First it's symbols, next comes books.

Damn fascists.

Walmart, Amazon, and others made a business decision. I'm sure there are already books they don't sell for good reasons.

Jeff
07-06-2015, 02:01 AM

Ever been to a race ?? In the camping area there is more Confederate flags than there are Jr. flags and that is saying a lot, as for Sr. ripping the flag off of Jr's fire suit I have no reason to not believe you , but it does surprise me considering every race I have ever been to everywhere you look the flag is flying, and yes many see that flag as neither hate nor heritage but rather just southern.

AS for the amount of post, I guess you could always skip them if your not interested in reading them. :poke:

sundaydriver
07-06-2015, 04:54 AM
Ever been to a race ?? In the camping area there is more Confederate flags than there are Jr. flags and that is saying a lot, as for Sr. ripping the flag off of Jr's fire suit I have no reason to not believe you , but it does surprise me considering every race I have ever been to everywhere you look the flag is flying, and yes many see that flag as neither hate nor heritage but rather just southern.

I have been a race fan since the 50's. Dirt tracks like Nazareth where I watched Mario & Aldo Andretti drove a Hudson Jet to many victories. Watched NASCAR since the mid 60's which the only viewing was the Daytona 500 where ABC showed the start of the race and the last 20 laps or so on Wide World of Sports. Been to many NASCAR races from 1972 to 2003 and then gave it up when it became entertainment rather than a racing series so yes I have been in many infields and stands where I could see the lags flying.

AS for the amount of post, I guess you could always skip them if your not interested in reading them. :poke:

I did not mean quantity or lack of interest, rather that in those many threads just about all posters have agreed on businesses could deny service to those that they choose to. Ya know, my house my rules.

jimnyc
07-06-2015, 07:02 AM
Well, the flags were on full display last night, and the fans were in full defense....

---

http://i.imgur.com/GzcYrPL.jpg

NASCAR fans defend, display Confederate flags at Daytona

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Steven Rebenstorf has numerous flags flying atop his canopy tent inside Daytona International Speedway.

The Confederate flag is front and center.

It's been like that for years. And the 57-year-old Rebenstorf has no plans to take it down — not even if NASCAR decides to ban the embattled flag from its racetracks.

"They'd have to come and get it," Rebenstorf said Saturday, pointing out that his American flag purposely flies a few inches higher than the rest.

Rebenstorf and others staunchly defended their Confederate flags at NASCAR's first race in the South since the racing series and its tracks urged fans to no longer wave the banner. Dozens were scattered throughout the vast infield all weekend leading to Sunday's race.

"It kills me that NASCAR is jumping on the bandwagon," said 55-year-old Paul Stevens of nearby Port Orange. "They should just let it pass, let everything die down. But NASCAR is too quick to try to be politically correct like everybody else."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nascar-fans-defend-display-confederate-flags-daytona-172016660--spt.html

Jeff
07-06-2015, 07:19 AM
Well, the flags were on full display last night, and the fans were in full defense....

---

http://i.imgur.com/GzcYrPL.jpg

NASCAR fans defend, display Confederate flags at Daytona

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Steven Rebenstorf has numerous flags flying atop his canopy tent inside Daytona International Speedway.

The Confederate flag is front and center.

It's been like that for years. And the 57-year-old Rebenstorf has no plans to take it down — not even if NASCAR decides to ban the embattled flag from its racetracks.

"They'd have to come and get it," Rebenstorf said Saturday, pointing out that his American flag purposely flies a few inches higher than the rest.

Rebenstorf and others staunchly defended their Confederate flags at NASCAR's first race in the South since the racing series and its tracks urged fans to no longer wave the banner. Dozens were scattered throughout the vast infield all weekend leading to Sunday's race.

"It kills me that NASCAR is jumping on the bandwagon," said 55-year-old Paul Stevens of nearby Port Orange. "They should just let it pass, let everything die down. But NASCAR is too quick to try to be politically correct like everybody else."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nascar-fans-defend-display-confederate-flags-daytona-172016660--spt.html

I honestly believe if they had enforced their plan to do away with the flag they would of lost many more fans, ( well their plan was to actually trade folks a new American flag for their confederate flag ) like sundaydriver many fans have left already, many because they are trying to take what was basically a southern sport and turn it into a money maker instead of a southern way of life. Many folks I know down here plan their vacations around the races , heck on any given Sunday you can ride through the country and tell who has the biggest TV or at least the newest just by the amount of cars parked at the house. ( and no Gabs I am not talking about the ones on blocks with the grass growing higher than the car is. :laugh: ) But folks at the races don't look at the flag as anything to do with race or heritage, it is just a southern thing, that is why Jeff Gordon is so well liked down here ** sarcasm alert ** they hate this guy because he was one of the first to come from somewhere other than the south, and not only come from somewhere else but he beat the heck out of all the local boys, folks still hate him and call him a fag ( even though he has a beautiful wife and a couple great looking kids ) Nascar fans will never like him because he is different, and to take the flag away would be someone making them do something different, it's not going to happen, and just for the record, most couldn't car less about the flag, but they aren't going to let someone take it either.

SassyLady
07-09-2015, 06:14 AM
My son-in-law owns a General Lee. He grew up crazy about the Dukes and when he found one he could afford he was like a little kid at Christmas To him, it's a worthless car if it doesn't have the flag on it. These people that own one and talking about removing the flag should just sell the car to someone who doesn't care about the hysteria going on right now.

Crazy times and I can feel the insidious nature of this movement. Completely agree with you Kath .... we can expect to see bonfires soon.